Davec
March 15, 2021, 8:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from mariner91

And I'd suggest that this is absolute bollocks. Yes he helped out when the tax man was calling and for that I am grateful. However, his association with Alex May and the fact he was quite happy for this convicted fraudster to have some sort of say in the goings on at Blundell Park prove that he doesn't give two shites for the club and is much more concerned with his own wallet.

His reign has been disastrous with only one top half finish in the FL in nearly two decades sandwiching the club's only spell in non-league to date. This will soon be followed by another one which he is to blame for again although his ego will never allow him to accept or admit this. During that time the rest of us have spent thousands of £s following and supporting the club. Whilst that is less in actual terms than he has spent, in relative terms for a lot of fans it will be just as much. For that money we didn't get the perks of running the club, the board room do's, the kudos etc. And, as far as I know, not one of us have asked for any of that money back. Fenty wants every single penny back. And worse, he intends to profit from his extortion of the Trust's shares. Given the monumental lack of investment and the mess he's left it in, £2.5 million would go a long way to getting the club back on it's feet. But Fenty doesn't care about GTFC, all he cares about is his back pocket.

Spot on, so many people claim he cares about the club and he loves the club as much or more than we do but I don't see it at all, there are too many examples where you really question his love and care for the club, and whilst I accept we all make wrong decisions time to time and that doesn't mean we don't love the club but I think the Alex May fiasco and the fact he is happy to march away with 250k extra whilst the club is at its lowest ebb firmly proves he doesn't love or care about the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
March 15, 2021, 8:56am
Guest User
Quoted from Zmariner

I appreciate, the we'll support you ever more approach. Like most on here I have served my time. I am embarassed at this point to be a mariners fan. Supporters of other clubs tend to pity us rather than laugh at us in my experience. My colleagues don't even make jokes any more as we are too pathetic.
Years of abysmal league positions with regular relegations. Pathetic , an embarassment to our great town and at this point absolutely undeserving of loyalty.
I will be back when we are competitive , there is some pride and we can hold our heads up again but now as we lurch back to non league after trying our best to get there since we got promoted I will wait.
Show me some green shoots of recovery, some hope , some pride , passion and I will run back for now ...... stick it.

^^ Fair weather supporter!  Pathetic.

Reply: 31 - 52
Zmariner
March 15, 2021, 9:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from 123614

^^ Fair weather supporter!  Pathetic.

But I am not a fair weather supporter am I. Think it through and eventually you will work it out…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
friskneymariner
March 15, 2021, 9:36am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from ginnywings
I will no longer be a regular at BP no matter what league we are in. Done 50 years unwavering support but I've  found better things to do with my weekends over the last couple of years. I'll be out in the wilds of the UK somewhere, but if I'm at home and we are playing, I will pop along.

I kept going right through the 6 years in non league and bought my season ticket every season. Unlike some other fans who actually enjoyed our time down there, I hated it. Dull teams playing dull football and hardly any atmosphere. It was generally 22 massive blokes with little finesse, kicking the sh1t out of a football.

The only games I can remember with any clarity were the ones against Scunny and Huddersfield in the cup. Reminded me of what it should be like at a football match.

Exactly as I feel after over 50 years making a 100 mile round trip and being as season ticket holder for 22 years,I will no longer support
a club who treat their fans with so much contempt

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2021, 9:44am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Fenty’s support isn’t unconditional. His condition is that either he runs the club or takes his bat home (ie loans).

I’d argue it’s the ‘unconditional support’ that has helped ruin the club. It’s allowed the same person to make the same mistakes over and over again. If John Fenty continues to run it, in a way it isn’t really our club but merely a company that he controls that happens to have a football team. And given his lack of principles over who he gets into bed with in business, it’s not something a lot of people want anything to do with.

Despite all that we still all have a strong connection to the town and the historic football club, and to each other, so it’s perfectly reasonable to continue to communicate on here. If you want a purer board, with a purer set of supporters, you can always go off and create the Real Fishy or the Continuity Fishy.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
ginnywings
March 15, 2021, 10:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Although I'm reluctant to 'bite' because I think Mr Noche is just on a wind up and enjoys the reaction, I will say that with me, the decision to withdraw my support is based on 2 things. The first being that the current board needs to be ousted, as apart from the woeful performances on the pitch for many seasons, they were prepared to do business with a convicted fraudster and can't seem to see why that would upset so many fans. To my mind and that of many others, the situation means they are not fit custodians of the club and it's time they moved on.

Secondly, I will be spending more of my time doing stuff that will mean I simply won't be around to physically get to the ground. It doesn't mean I won't still be a supporter: I can do that without actually attending BP, but that support will only be forthcoming in the event that there is new ownership. I will no longer give money to a board that I feel neither appreciate nor use that money wisely.

Hope that meets with your approval Philipe and that I pass the fit and proper fan test.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
Fillipe Noche
March 15, 2021, 11:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from ginnywings

Hope that meets with your approval Philipe and that I pass the fit and proper fan test.  

No it doesn’t. It fails the fit and proper fan test.

Like someone else on this thread has accused someone else here, this makes you a fair weather supporter, a fake fan and a plastic mariner.

You don’t just support a club because of the history, and you don’t turn your back on the club when times are hard, or because there’s an owner that has upset you. You stand by your club if you are real supporter through thick and thin, no matter who holds the key to the front door.

You might not get this bit. But I have more respect for anti John Fenty people who continue to support the club, than I do for anti John Fenty fans that turn their back on the club. Nobody should be denied an opinion on John Fenty, but if you want to know who the real rocks are, it’s those die hards that will voice their opinions about John, whilst still supporting the club in every respect. Not those that just chip in with anti Fentyisms  from the outside on a message board, but in the meantime withdraw their support for the very club they are trying to improve with those anti Fenty comments

It laughable and frankly embarrassing

The fact that people have paid their dues as supporters over many seasons makes no difference. The day you stop supporting and the day you stop spending at the club, is the day you are no longer a fan. You might just as well tell us you are a Man Utd or Liverpool fan, and not go and watch them either
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
Sandford1981
March 15, 2021, 12:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

No it doesn’t. It fails the fit and proper fan test.

Like someone else on this thread has accused someone else here, this makes you a fair weather supporter, a fake fan and a plastic mariner.

You don’t just support a club because of the history, and you don’t turn your back on the club when times are hard, or because there’s an owner that has upset you. You stand by your club if you are real supporter through thick and thin, no matter who holds the key to the front door.

You might not get this bit. But I have more respect for anti John Fenty people who continue to support the club, than I do for anti John Fenty fans that turn their back on the club. Nobody should be denied an opinion on John Fenty, but if you want to know who the real rocks are, it’s those die hards that will voice their opinions about John, whilst still supporting the club in every respect. Not those that just chip in with anti Fentyisms  from the outside on a message board, but in the meantime withdraw their support for the very club they are trying to improve with those anti Fenty comments

It laughable and frankly embarrassing

The fact that people have paid their dues as supporters over many seasons makes no difference. The day you stop supporting and the day you stop spending at the club, is the day you are no longer a fan. You might just as well tell us you are a Man Utd or Liverpool fan, and not go and watch them either

You see fake, I see principled. All just opinions at the end of the day but how anyone can effect positive change by ‘supporting’ a regime that has a proven track record in failure for such a long period of time, is beyond me.

It’s not like fans haven’t made the effort to connect with the club, however Fenty et al have repeatedly treat us with contempt and utter disdain. We tried. They haven’t listened. Time for a change.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
mimma
March 15, 2021, 12:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
I support Grimsby Town Football Club,  not the board, the chairman or whatever, GTFC full stop.
There will always be highs and lows, but the club must survive for us to enjoy the highs when we get them.
To hasten our demise just because you personally don't like the bloke in charge is just plain daft and as far as I am concerned, is not what a true died in the wool supporter should be advocating. If you don't want to go then fine, but let us all make our own mind up thank you.
Nothing is forever,  bide your time and wait. It will change with or without you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
golfer
March 15, 2021, 3:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I bet JSF wouldn't dare do another bungee jump at B.P.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unconditional

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.