Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 277 Guests

Mariners Trust AGM

This thread currently has 13,924 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
February 13, 2021, 8:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Can’t help but shake my head in sadness reading Barra’s replies. I know you mean well, but come on. It’s like the parish council not reaching out to the WI because ‘they know where the notice board is outside the church if they want to come to meetings’.

You ought to quickly take pizzza up on his offer to do what Forza proposed.

Spot on

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 166
toontown
February 13, 2021, 8:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
The Trust doesn't have to post everything in full on here, but just a headline and a link to their website if they wantvto drive traffic there. Just to signpost people who wouldn't otherwise be aware and, who knows, if they're not members maybe it will encourage them to become so if they see what it does on a regular basis, rather than never becoming aware of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 166
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 13, 2021, 9:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Before I got involved in this thread I was sceptical about the Trust but open minded. Having read Barralad's comments I am now convinced that they are out of touch and out of date. I believe that they do not represent the interests of all Grimsby Town fans, just a small minority of Town fans with a certain view of the world (in respect to GTFC, nothing else).

The comment about them being like the Parish Council not reaching out to the WI is both funny and accurate.

I would urge anyone who can commit the time to attend the AGM, put themselves up for election and make the trust the representative of all fans.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 166
ginnywings
February 13, 2021, 10:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
The latest CA diary mentions the Trust and it's misgivings about it.

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=7834

For my part, I think the Trust have perception issues. Rightly or wrongly, people perceive it in a certain light that isn't favourable and it needs to relaunch or rebrand itself somehow to make it more accessible. It definitely has communication issues and it's not on the radar of your average Town fan.

I'm loath to criticise them because of the work they do and the time they give, but they are seriously out of touch in my opinion.

I also believe they are seen as associated with the outgoing regime, which needs to change somehow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 166
friskneymariner
February 13, 2021, 10:48am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
I can only speak regarding my own comments,but I would like to state my comments about the Trust are not made with any malice,but with the hope that the Trust Board might reflect on some of the issues to improve their representativeness of the fan base.However I appear to have elicited a somewhat defensive response from some members.
This is not how an organisation learns but appears to smack of some people being overly sensitive to criticism.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 166
dapperz fun pub
February 13, 2021, 11:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Said it before ..when the trust gave the shares away the trust was finished for me and I suspect many others
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 11:08am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Before I got involved in this thread I was sceptical about the Trust but open minded. Having read Barralad's comments I am now convinced that they are out of touch and out of date. I believe that they do not represent the interests of all Grimsby Town fans, just a small minority of Town fans with a certain view of the world (in respect to GTFC, nothing else).

The comment about them being like the Parish Council not reaching out to the WI is both funny and accurate.

I would urge anyone who can commit the time to attend the AGM, put themselves up for election and make the trust the representative of all fans.

I'm intrigued as to which fans constitute the minority that we represent. Care to expand?
Would it be for example the twitterati , facebook users or the significant number of our members (and Town fans at large) who don't use the Internet or use or even know of the existence of the Fishy?
When we've got beyond communication there is an awful lot of work much of it boring and definitely unsexy that needs doing.
So whilst I'd wholeheartedly welcome the involvement of others it would be with the proviso that they are prepared to roll up their collective sleeves and graft.
BTW I'd also recommend that they read the rules as highlighted by the OP because signed nomination forms together with a 300 to 1000 word address on what they skills they hope to bring to the table to benefit the organisation need to be with the independent overseer by Friday 19 February. This will help the members decide if a vote is needed.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 11:27am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Said it before ..when the trust gave the shares away the trust was finished for me and I suspect many others

Said it before  had you and all the others who have made the same comment over the 8 plus years since the vote been members then WE might have been able to overturn the result.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 11:29am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from friskneymariner
I can only speak regarding my own comments,but I would like to state my comments about the Trust are not made with any malice,but with the hope that the Trust Board might reflect on some of the issues to improve their representativeness of the fan base.However I appear to have elicited a somewhat defensive response from some members.
This is not how an organisation learns but appears to smack of some people being overly sensitive to criticism.

Not sure if this is aimed at me mate but be assured I accept all your comments in the spirit I know they were meant.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 166
grimsby pete
February 13, 2021, 11:34am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I got an e mail telling me about the AGM did all members ?

I agree posting on the fishy should not be a problem as Ian has spent far more time saying on here saying why they haven't.

I have decided after years of asking.

On my gravestone I will put . I told you I was ill.
                                                   I only ever wanted a mariners Trust membership card.

And.            Depending whether I ever get into our new ground.

At least I got my team play in our new stadium
                                    Or.            I never did get to see my team play in a new stadium.

End of moan.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 166
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.