moosey_club
February 15, 2021, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,318
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from TAGG
These are serious questions I'm not getting at anyone.
1 Why does the Trust even exist
2 What does it do.

In some ways those questions arent really that relevant anymore......with this takeover....when it happens....the questions really need to be ;

Will the trust retain its seat on the board ? ( i think its been assured that is the case )
Will the trust be a valued part of the board by the new owners ?   ( As the trust have been in discussions to bring the consortium in then you would hope so )

If the above are firm yes's then if anyone has strong feelings regards which way the trust are going its upto them to join up, become a member and try to influence from within.  Any one can shout from the sidelines "viewpoint a"  viewpoint b" but if you are that p1ssed off with the trust then join and effect change.
I would like to think that if the new board are extremely welcoming of trust input that would help swell numbers  but i honestly think if the new board start on the right foot and welcome the trust with open arms that fans will just be placated and interest in the trust will wain.

Yoda's post above "you shouldnt have given the shares away" is a classic line that gets slung at the trust at every turn.....but if you werent in it then you really cant complain about the decision.
Plenty of people think it wasnt the right decision but many of them werent members and some that were members didnt want to give them up but there was seemingly very little option otherwise with the game expertly played by JF. If he had Mike Parkers pants down then not surprising he could manipulate some supporters with good intentions who suddenly found themselves key players in the whole power struggle.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and i wonder if we had the opportunity again would Mike Parker have done something else with the shares rather than giving them to the trust ?
Would the trust members have tried to call JF's bluff ?

Guess we'll never know.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 166
February 15, 2021, 10:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
No Pete you are right. The agreement was that JF would buy £200K worth of "new" money shares.

But my (very fallible) memory is that he didn't do this.

In which case why aren't the Trust demanding their shares back if he broke the terms of the agreement?

The Trust should obtain a legal opinion to establish whether they have a case to reclaim the shares, surely?
Reply: 141 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 11:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB

Talking face to face, the good old fashioned way, having the guts to look someone in the eye, no hiding behind names on social media or on this site. Of course it's no good for gutless worms and morons because they have nowhere to hide.

That’s not what I meant

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2021, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from moosey_club

In some ways those questions arent really that relevant anymore......with this takeover....when it happens....the questions really need to be ;

Will the trust retain its seat on the board ? ( i think its been assured that is the case )
Will the trust be a valued part of the board by the new owners ?   ( As the trust have been in discussions to bring the consortium in then you would hope so )

If the above are firm yes's then if anyone has strong feelings regards which way the trust are going its upto them to join up, become a member and try to influence from within.  Any one can shout from the sidelines "viewpoint a"  viewpoint b" but if you are that p1ssed off with the trust then join and effect change.
I would like to think that if the new board are extremely welcoming of trust input that would help swell numbers  but i honestly think if the new board start on the right foot and welcome the trust with open arms that fans will just be placated and interest in the trust will wain.

Yoda's post above "you shouldnt have given the shares away" is a classic line that gets slung at the trust at every turn.....but if you werent in it then you really cant complain about the decision.
Plenty of people think it wasnt the right decision but many of them werent members and some that were members didnt want to give them up but there was seemingly very little option otherwise with the game expertly played by JF. If he had Mike Parkers pants down then not surprising he could manipulate some supporters with good intentions who suddenly found themselves key players in the whole power struggle.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and i wonder if we had the opportunity again would Mike Parker have done something else with the shares rather than giving them to the trust ?
Would the trust members have tried to call JF's bluff ?

Guess we'll never know.

You make a good point about when a club is a much better run entity, fans pressure groups tend to decline. I assume that is why the Mariners Trust was formed - to try to help our club when it was being so poorly run by a particular individual.

Instead of that though, they consolidated his position by not speaking out against mismanagement, and even seemed to have place men in the audience at a fans (the people they are supposed to represent) forum.

On the issue of the share transfer, they should have advised the members to reject the idea and call his bluff.

I don't think this is particularly in hindsight - the owner has been running the club appallingly for years in full view of the Trust representatives.

I know the idea of a fans group is a noble one, but the very idea that Mr Fenty would even listen to such a group without the financial clout to back it up is and always was fanciful. Mr Fenty deals in one thing only - the currency of money - if it makes him happy fair enough but I would have thought the Trust representatives would have spotted that at an early stage and acted accordingly.

Private Message
Reply: 143 - 166
ska face
February 16, 2021, 10:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852

You make a good point about when a club is a much better run entity, fans pressure groups tend to decline. I assume that is why the Mariners Trust was formed - to try to help our club when it was being so poorly run by a particular individual.

Not entirely true though is it? It seems to be the clubs at the top end of the pyramid that have more active and well established Supporters’ groups. Spirit of Shankly at Liverpool, MUST at Man Utd, NUST at Newcastle, EFC Supporters Trust at Everton just off the top of my head are all high profile, well supported groups active at their clubs and in the community.

As for calling Fenty’s bluff, the bloke has consistently demonstrated he’s willing to let our best players go - Amond, Vernam, etc. - over the sake of a few quid. Do you think he would’ve thought twice about selling Hearn if he thought his grip on the club (and all the money he has now pocketed) was about to slip away?

Easy to speak with 9 years’ of hindsight, when you had no involvement at the time and as you keep telling us, want no involvement with the Trust now. Maybe you should’ve made this case back in 2012, you might’ve swayed the 80-odd percent of members who made that choice.
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 166
DB
February 16, 2021, 12:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
The past is history that cannot be changed but learnt from. Hindsight is brilliant but cannot be used but learnt from.
It is to the future you have to look learning from the past and hindsight. This should make things better for all.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 166
psgmariner
February 16, 2021, 1:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Private Message
Reply: 146 - 166
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 16, 2021, 1:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from DB
The past is history that cannot be changed but learnt from. Hindsight is brilliant but cannot be used but learnt from.
It is to the future you have to look learning from the past and hindsight. This should make things better for all.

Who controls the past controls the future

Kevin Drinkell (1984)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 166
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 16, 2021, 2:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309

Who controls the past controls the future

Kevin Drinkell (1984)

A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.

Zhang Enhua

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 166
Boris Johnson
February 16, 2021, 3:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4

A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.

Zhang Enhua

How many roads must a man walk down
Bob Dylan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 166
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.