Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst manager between the two PH spells?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 261 Guests

Who was the worst of managers between PH spells?
Bignot
Slade
Jolley
Holloway
  View Results 246 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Worst manager between the two PH spells?

This thread currently has 9,620 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
January 1, 2021, 6:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from MarinerWY
Between Slade and Holloway for me, with mitigation for Jolley and Bignot solely on the fact they were new(ish) managers - which can't be said for the seasoned Slade and Holloway.

Most drunk off with Holloway cos of all the bullshit he fed us.

Jolley achieved something for the club: he saved us from what seemed like certain relegation.

The rest...took us nowhere/downhill. (Bignot I couldn't understand.)

Slade would get my vote, but what's the point of a poll that looks back, negatively?
I'm looking forward and positively*.

*Probably should know better at my age lol.
Reply: 50 - 62
sydney
January 1, 2021, 6:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
toontown
January 1, 2021, 10:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from RonMariner

I was watching us getting thumped at Cambridge just before Jolley joined and was bemoaning the ineptitude of the players and saying it couldn't possibly get any worse. Tony Butcher turned to me and said, 'Oh yes it can. Wait till Kelly comes on.'

I didn't believe it was possible for anyone with two legs to be worse than those already on show, But then Kelly came on and did indeed manage to prove me wrong. He was breathtakingly awful. Too poor even to get into our current squad. And that is saying something

Yeah your right he wouldn't even get into this team! What makes it worse is slade had had him at his previous club and so had had the opportunity to view him extensively! Makes it all the more dumbfounding he actually signed him up for us.

Slade just reeked of past it and past caring. "Ok recruitment work needs doing... Oh that Hooper lad isn't very good, maybe he'll be better a division below. Oh whilst im at it that Kelly lad is complete dogshite, maybe he'll be better a division below too. I'll get them both. Now, that's saved me enough time to get to the bookies before the 3.15 at Newmarket"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
EY Mariner
January 2, 2021, 12:20am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
It has to be Slade for me. He inherited a squad with the potential to progress from Bignot and, whatever the financial instructions he may have had from on high, wrecked it. Had he stayed in charge, there is no doubt we would have been relegated that season.

All the other three, in my mind, have more mitigation than Slade in this discussion. Even Holloway, for all that his true colours may have been revealed of late, could argue that he didn't have a proper opportunity to build the kind of team he wanted because of Covid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
sonofmadeleymariner
January 2, 2021, 1:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
I mean its not even difficult, Slade every time.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
KingstonMariner
January 2, 2021, 8:35am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I find it difficult to choose on football grounds. Whilst it could be argued Jolley for example was better than Slade, now we know that all suffered with bad budgets, it’s difficult to be fair. So purely on non-football grounds, for me it’s a toss-up between Slade and Runaway. Slade for his ambushing of Dean at the fans forum, and Holloway for his bullshitting/lies and the suspicion that he was involved with the fraudster. On moral grounds it’s Holloway by a length.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
buckstown
January 2, 2021, 8:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Slade for me
I thought he was unfairly criticised for style of play first time round and might be a steadying hand after the Bignot turmoil.
Oh dear, but looking on the bright side this poll might be his first chance of winning something
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
January 2, 2021, 9:16am
Guest User
Slade, never got to like him first time round, tried to get behind him second time.
Reply: 57 - 62
exiledmeggie
January 2, 2021, 2:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -208
Gold Stars: 20
My thought was Runaway would walk off with this, and you're giving it to Slide instead! Guess I am not in this game then!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
KingstonMariner
January 2, 2021, 4:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from exiledmeggie
My thought was Runaway would walk off with this, and you're giving it to Slide instead! Guess I am not in this game then!

See what you did there!  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst manager between the two PH spells?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.