Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst manager between the two PH spells?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Baidu Spider, Googlebot and 255 Guests

Who was the worst of managers between PH spells?
Bignot
Slade
Jolley
Holloway
  View Results 246 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Worst manager between the two PH spells?

This thread currently has 9,622 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 1, 2021, 4:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RonMariner
Really tough decision, which shows haw terrible the recruitment has been.

I would rule out Big nuts as he did sign some decent players, albeit rather too many midfielders. He wasn't really given long to implement his plans. So who knows, maybe it might have worked out. I somehow doubt it, but yopu never know.

I rule out Jolley because he kept us up with largely the same squad that Slade built and which got us into the mess in the first place.  I thought we might kick on in his first full season, but sadly he couldn't keep the early momentum going.

Regarding Slade, he created a pretty dire side, but let's not forget that we were on the fringes of the play off zone  before he offloaded three of our best players, including our top scorer, in the January window. That contributed to our plummet. But as those players were supposedly high earners I have a snaking suspicion that his hand was forced in that regard by the board.  Could be wrong, but I there is enough doubt there for me to rule him out too.

So that leaves Hollow words. We currently have the worst squad in the country thanks to his signings. Most of our best players were already here when he arrived; Wright, Hendrie, Pollock, Waterfall, Hewitt, Clifton. Hanson too if fit.  So it's only really Moralis that stands out as a positive.  

So he gets my vote.    

Slades hand was definitely forced over the release of players that widow. Again, short sighted money saving.

I think despite what was said about the reason for the departure of Bignot, the truth lies more in his extravagant recruitment. He said that Solihull had more coaching staff than GTFC for instance.

Another manager stymied by penny pinching. I thought he brought in some good exciting players: just too many of them for comfort for our board.

Despite having his hand forced on the clear out, Slade was still next to useless mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2021, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Slades hand was definitely forced over the release of players that widow. Again, short sighted money saving.

I think despite what was said about the reason for the departure of Bignot, the truth lies more in his extravagant recruitment. He said that Solihull had more coaching staff than GTFC for instance.

Another manager stymied by penny pinching. I thought he brought in some good exciting players: just too many of them for comfort for our board.

Despite having his hand forced on the clear out, Slade was still next to useless mind.

Slade was instructed to prune the squad therefore he didn’t surprise me a lot. Holloway was allowed to build a squad which, let’s face it, is pretty poor.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
mariner91
January 1, 2021, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Kris2

Sam Kelly is probably the worst player I've witnessed at BP since Tommy Forecast. No idea how he got so many games at Port Vale because he didn't look like he wanted to be involved in the game at all. Didn't look like he wanted the ball and got rid of it as soon as possible, avoided making tackles. tried to vanish from the game and so on. Was obvious from his first appearance that he wasn't capable of being a professional footballer.

Agree with this completely. He would have backed out of a 50/50 with a 10 year old. Heart of a gnat, ability of a cabbage. Awful player.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
RonMariner
January 1, 2021, 5:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Kris2

Sam Kelly is probably the worst player I've witnessed at BP since Tommy Forecast. No idea how he got so many games at Port Vale because he didn't look like he wanted to be involved in the game at all. Didn't look like he wanted the ball and got rid of it as soon as possible, avoided making tackles. tried to vanish from the game and so on. Was obvious from his first appearance that he wasn't capable of being a professional footballer.

I was watching us getting thumped at Cambridge just before Jolley joined and was bemoaning the ineptitude of the players and saying it couldn't possibly get any worse. Tony Butcher turned to me and said, 'Oh yes it can. Wait till Kelly comes on.'

I didn't believe it was possible for anyone with two legs to be worse than those already on show, But then Kelly came on and did indeed manage to prove me wrong. He was breathtakingly awful. Too poor even to get into our current squad. And that is saying something
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
RonMariner
January 1, 2021, 5:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from mariner91

Agree with this completely. He would have backed out of a 50/50 with a 10 year old. Heart of a gnat, ability of a cabbage. Awful player.

Indeed. In the game I refer to in my previous post he was running with the ball when an opponent ambled towards him. When he was about two yards away Kelly leapt over the ball and out of the way. TYe bemused player then just collected the ball and strode off. It was laughable. There wan't even a challenge.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
marinerrick
January 1, 2021, 5:59pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
I've gone for slade, was a toss up between him and holloway, however deciding point was if holloway hadn't left and then throw a grenade into the mix on his way out, would the consortium takeover ever come to fruition. Him leaving and being massively open about his reasons, would we be looking at the exciting times we have coming. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
Davec
January 1, 2021, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Bignot to be fair had ambitious plans and was able to spot a good player it seemed and we had some good wins most notably Plymouth away who were top at the time I believe but then we had some awful losses such as Crewe 5-0, Pompey pumped us 5-0 or something then we had Donny at home 5-1, Bignots team tactics and selections were baffling and random.

Slade was a dinosaur, started off alright but soon went down hill, and it was clear some of his summer targets knocked him back as we had long gaps between signings and most of the signings came through trialists which is a concern. And most of his signings were absolutely awful.

Jolley saved us from relegation but we never really built up momentum, again he had plans but lacked the tactical nous really.

Holloway, arrived and promised the world and everybody got sucked in and before lockdown we actually started playing some decent stuff but the penny pinching and cautious approach in the summer really killed the season, Holloway signed a very poor squad and by all accounts he signed players he didn't even know who they was until a few days prior which is a very dangerous game to play, every club had to cope with Covid, not just us so we can't use that as an excuse, but Holloway always used it as an excuse and when Tonduer questioned him once about that excuse and he kicked off and since then he was very aggressive to all members of the media and his love relationship with Fenty and potentially Alex May was weird I'm glad he has gone.

In order from worst to best IMO
Holloway
Slade
Bignot
Jolley
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
MarinerWY
January 1, 2021, 6:19pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
Between Slade and Holloway for me, with mitigation for Jolley and Bignot solely on the fact they were new(ish) managers - which can't be said for the seasoned Slade and Holloway.

Most drunk off with Holloway cos of all the bullshit he fed us.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
Madeleymariner
January 1, 2021, 6:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Just a note from previous posts, our top scorer Bogle left soon after Bignut took over not while Slade was in charge. No one seems to have found a replacement since.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Poojah
January 1, 2021, 6:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,892
Gold Stars: 1,527
Bignot’s short reign was absolutely chaotic, even if there are positives you can point to. If you’d have told me then that two out of our next three managers would be almost unanimously considered worse I’d have been very, very concerned.

Jolley’s stint looks more respectable in the context of what came before and after it. It’s clear that like others he was hamstrung by budget, but he ultimately made the best looking dinner from the pile of turd he had to work with than the others mentioned.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst manager between the two PH spells?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.