Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New Training Ground.!!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

New Training Ground.!!

This thread currently has 5,343 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
pen penfras
March 26, 2024, 8:31pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from RonMariner
I can’t remember now, but we’re JS and AP saying they would fund it? Or just seek finance for it?

They said investors would pay for it. No idea what that means, because there's unlikely to be any return and why would anybody put millions in for somebody else to spend?

I was told the original plan was to crowd fund it, and the cost was more like 2 million. Who knows what the plans are now, I can't imagine crowd funding would touch the sides though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
LN8Mariner
March 26, 2024, 8:49pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 9
Its odd that we need a new training ground because Cheapside obviously isnt providing us with adequate training facilities, even though over the years it has had new pitches laid, new changing rooms, new dining area, physio rooms and gym.
Well, how come when Town were a much better team to watch, they also trained at Cheapside with much crappier facilities. Are you sure its not just the quality of the players, all along, that is causing the quality of football to do a massive downturn over the years? Surely it cant all be blamed on the training ground?
Why dont they start training at local schools again, like they used to. Nearly every school field has to be of a certain standard so it is not dangerous for the kids to play on.
Wouldn't the figure being banded around, 6 million?, be much better spent on new quality players instead?

I get your point but I think there are several factors to consider here. I would guess in the late 80s/early 90s the training ground would not have been too different from other teams? Like you say they used to come to schools and train, or train on King George's so anything would have been an improvement. So if players are looking at the facility where they will spend most of their working time then if it was not too far behind others then we could persuade them to come. However, it "seems" that perhaps we are a long way behind now so if players are wavering then it may be a deciding factor. It is where they spend most of their working time, the ground is probably only going to be less than 10% of their working week so a state of the art training facility will have a big sway on whether people turn up or not.

Clearly it is the quality of the players who have caused a downturn in the quality of football, we can't blame the training pitches on what they do on the pitch. However, as I have said, we do need to entice good players to come and a good training ground will help with that, surely?

Answering your last question. It all depends where the money has come from doesn't it? I am sure that you can spend pretty much what you want on capital projects without it going against any fair funding protocols but to be able to spend £6m on players then we need to have that from income streams such as sponsorship or gate receipts (or selling shares, etc.) even if we amortise across several years. So yes, of course it would be better to spend it on players, but I am not entirely sure it is possible!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
Heisenberg
March 26, 2024, 8:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
It does worry me that after 3 years the owners haven’t attracted a single penny of outside investment anywhere. Are they saying we can build a new training ground AND improve BP without external money?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2024, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RonMariner
I can’t remember now, but we’re JS and AP saying they would fund it? Or just seek finance for it?

Don’t see how we can afford better players, a better ground and better training facilities. Can’t see how it all stacks up.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
jamesgtfc
March 26, 2024, 9:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from LN8Mariner

I get your point but I think there are several factors to consider here. I would guess in the late 80s/early 90s the training ground would not have been too different from other teams? Like you say they used to come to schools and train, or train on King George's so anything would have been an improvement. So if players are looking at the facility where they will spend most of their working time then if it was not too far behind others then we could persuade them to come. However, it "seems" that perhaps we are a long way behind now so if players are wavering then it may be a deciding factor. It is where they spend most of their working time, the ground is probably only going to be less than 10% of their working week so a state of the art training facility will have a big sway on whether people turn up or not.

Clearly it is the quality of the players who have caused a downturn in the quality of football, we can't blame the training pitches on what they do on the pitch. However, as I have said, we do need to entice good players to come and a good training ground will help with that, surely?

Answering your last question. It all depends where the money has come from doesn't it? I am sure that you can spend pretty much what you want on capital projects without it going against any fair funding protocols but to be able to spend £6m on players then we need to have that from income streams such as sponsorship or gate receipts (or selling shares, etc.) even if we amortise across several years. So yes, of course it would be better to spend it on players, but I am not entirely sure it is possible!

Investment in infrastructure doesn't count towards fair play rules, but any income we are able to receive from a training ground would. That is another reason to keep it local and make it a facility that the community can use.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 26, 2024, 10:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Heisenberg
It does worry me that after 3 years the owners haven’t attracted a single penny of outside investment anywhere. Are they saying we can build a new training ground AND improve BP without external money?!

Must admit it has surprised me that two multi millionaires who are both entrepreneurs have not been in a position to attract further investment from their wide circle of contacts. I seem to recall Jason saying in an interview, think it was during their first year in charge, that there were interested parties but it wasn’t the right time and they wanted people to be investing for the right reasons.

Obviously I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and we certainly want to avoid any further dodgy characters trying to get involved but it would be nice, if we survive this season, if we could get some further income streams to give the fans a bit of a feel good factor which is much needed at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Don’t understand that the cost of buying the land building the houses and the training facility total cost 6 million sale of the houses 6 million next cost to club nothing. I am no expert in this field but you get the gist of it

20 houses sold at £300,000 a pop will just equal £6million in sales.  It's not profit.  The costs of building houses is through the roof at the minute (both labour and materials).

This article is a few years old but it gives a feel for the profit margins - https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2022/03/02/persimmon-makes-66000-profit-per-house/

£66,000 profit per house from a major national home builder.   Over 20 houses that's £1.32million profit, without even considering the reduced scales of economies that Persimmon will get from building housing estates in the 100's if not 1000's of houses.

We're not going to offset the cost of buying land and the cost of building the training ground by effectively sub-contracting the building and sale of 20 houses out to a builder. It'll need to be something on a much, much bigger scale.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
JK47
March 27, 2024, 10:36am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Must admit it has surprised me that two multi millionaires who are both entrepreneurs have not been in a position to attract further investment from their wide circle of contacts. I seem to recall Jason saying in an interview, think it was during their first year in charge, that there were interested parties but it wasn’t the right time and they wanted people to be investing for the right reasons.

Obviously I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and we certainly want to avoid any further dodgy characters trying to get involved but it would be nice, if we survive this season, if we could get some further income streams to give the fans a bit of a feel good factor which is much needed at present.

Government money.  So-called levelling up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
Trevor Whymark
March 27, 2024, 1:50pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +15
Gold Stars: 9
Interesting how Barrow have relocated their training ground 100 miles from ground are they attracting players on that they have based it in a central part where players can return and travel As GTFC rebuild talk of training grounds etc I wonder if that would help recruitment
On separate matter
Travelling on Friday from London to Barrow it feels the back of beyond 6hrs train 2 hrs bus replacement UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
jimgtfc
March 27, 2024, 3:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Trevor Whymark
Interesting how Barrow have relocated their training ground 100 miles from ground are they attracting players on that they have based it in a central part where players can return and travel As GTFC rebuild talk of training grounds etc I wonder if that would help recruitment
On separate matter
Travelling on Friday from London to Barrow it feels the back of beyond 6hrs train 2 hrs bus replacement UTM

Surely you’ve seen that topic has been done to death. We won’t be getting an out of town training facility like barrows.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New Training Ground.!!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.