Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Bradford game is massive.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot, SheepGTFC and 55 Guests

Bradford game is massive.

This thread currently has 5,067 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Yoda
March 23, 2024, 9:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
I’m not expecting much at Barrow they played us off the park here.
So it makes Bradford a huge game they are out of form not playing well nothing to play for, can we turn up and get a result
Logged Offline
Private Message
Madeleymariner
March 23, 2024, 10:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
No
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
Yoda
March 23, 2024, 10:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
If it’s a big crowd definitely not i don’t know why we always play awful when we have a decent crowd in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 23, 2024, 10:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Yoda
If it’s a big crowd definitely not i don’t know why we always play awful when we have a decent crowd in.

Think there are two key reasons. Firstly, we are a poor crowd at home for backing the team when they really need us I.e. when they are struggling to get into games and not playing well. It’s a bit chicken & egg, team play on front foot, get stuck in and crowd get bethel. Give away a goal, make a couple of inerrant passes and some fans are on their back straight away and think this the result of us playing pretty mediocre football in home matches for several seasons and we get frustrated that yet again our hopes for the team, the result and the performance are going to be well below the standards we rightly expect.

Secondly this current side in particular don’t appear to be able to cope with a big gate, with big expectations and a higher degree of pressure. Cartwright in particular seems on edge and that maybe is do with his age, Rogers is another who seems to crumble once he hears a couple of moans and groans. Some like Rose and I think Tharme thrive on it but too many just don’t have the cajones to turn a game and the crowd around once they fall behind. You knew today once they scored it was game over you could just feel it in the ground.

Seems years since I stood in the old Barrett Stand for a night match and the place felt alive and you could see it was the opposition that was intimidated by the crowd not are own players. Just seems a pretty soulless place most times nowadays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
Plankton
March 23, 2024, 10:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Think there are two key reasons. Firstly, we are a poor crowd at home for backing the team when they really need us I.e. when they are struggling to get into games and not playing well. It’s a bit chicken & egg, team play on front foot, get stuck in and crowd get bethel. Give away a goal, make a couple of inerrant passes and some fans are on their back straight away and think this the result of us playing pretty mediocre football in home matches for several seasons and we get frustrated that yet again our hopes for the team, the result and the performance are going to be well below the standards we rightly expect.

Secondly this current side in particular don’t appear to be able to cope with a big gate, with big expectations and a higher degree of pressure. Cartwright in particular seems on edge and that maybe is do with his age, Rogers is another who seems to crumble once he hears a couple of moans and groans. Some like Rose and I think Tharme thrive on it but too many just don’t have the cajones to turn a game and the crowd around once they fall behind. You knew today once they scored it was game over you could just feel it in the ground.

Seems years since I stood in the old Barrett Stand for a night match and the place felt alive and you could see it was the opposition that was intimidated by the crowd not are own players. Just seems a pretty soulless place most times nowadays.

The ground's soul is well and truly gone. It does not create an atmosphere, you look at grounds with 4k attendances and the sound is better. We're in an ever aging stadia that's never really been one for an atmosphere since the 90s.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
Yoda
March 23, 2024, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Yes i agree all seater killed the atmosphere not just at BP the same at most grounds if you ask the fans.
Yes our players seem to have a mental block with a larger crowd and bottle it mind you they seem to have done that all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
Badger57
March 24, 2024, 12:03am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Plankton

The ground's soul is well and truly gone. It does not create an atmosphere, you look at grounds with 4k attendances and the sound is better. We're in an ever aging stadia that's never really been one for an atmosphere since the 90s.

Before that. When the Barretts was demolished it was never, ever the same.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 24, 2024, 12:55am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +846
Gold Stars: 117
At this stage of the season, and our lowly position, EVERY game is massive for us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 50
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 7:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Wow, can you walk into this pity party or do you need an invite?

What’s killed the atmosphere is the quality of the product on the pitch not demolishing a stand in the early 80s.

One thing that Artell & Thompson mentioned post match yesterday was that the players might have been spooked by the whole Wrexham thing. On RH Artell referenced “cameras in the tunnel” if we have let the documentary makers get access to all areas yesterday whilst we’re in a relegation dogfight then that’s a really poor decision by GTFC.

Oh and I expect a point from the Bradford game for what it’s worth.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
dapperz fun pub
March 24, 2024, 7:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,954
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What’s killed the atmosphere is the quality of the product on the pitch not demolishing a stand in the early 80s.

One thing that Artell & Thompson mentioned post match yesterday was that the players might have been spooked by the whole Wrexham thing. On RH Artell referenced “cameras in the tunnel” if we have let the documentary makers get access to all areas yesterday whilst we’re in a relegation dogfight then that’s a really poor decision by GTFC.

They let us film our docu at the racecourse and the Hollywood boys did interviews so I don’t see the problem. The problem is most of our players aren’t very good and aren’t week in week out level 4 standard and I expect to beat Bradford
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 7:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

They let us film our docu at the racecourse and the Hollywood boys did interviews so I don’t see the problem. The problem is most of our players aren’t very good and aren’t week in week out level 4 standard and I expect to beat Bradford

Agree about our players. Different scenario now though re the filming.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
Poojah
March 24, 2024, 8:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We were the main game on the ITV highlights show last night, with there being no Championship games on. That’s what the cameras will have been for.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
WesternMariner
March 24, 2024, 8:28am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 38

Window lickers? No offence but you really are a bit of a bell end.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 8:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

We were the main game on the ITV highlights show last night, with there being no Championship games on. That’s what the cameras will have been for.  

Artell seemed to suggest some of them where Wrexham related & the occasion might have got to the players, personally would have liked to have seen our lads a bit more up for it, but there you go.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
ska face
March 24, 2024, 8:45am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
The “occasion” was Grimsby V Wrexham in league 2 in front of 7,000. Not Galatasaray away in the Champions League.

If any player can’t handle that then they should just hang their boots up today.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
dapperz fun pub
March 24, 2024, 9:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,954
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ska face
The “occasion” was Grimsby V Wrexham in league 2 in front of 7,000. Not Galatasaray away in the Champions League.

If any player can’t handle that then they should just hang their boots up today.

Personally I think it’s nothing to do with handling pressure playing big names it’s more to do with lack of ability , most of our players can’t kick a ball straight or trap a ball dead.  Like DA said from min 1 you’ve got to do the basics and I’m afraid for most of them not all that appears a step to far.  I’d only keep Thompson rose next season with an argument developing for Tharme. The rest of them can go and if the majority stay expect another relegation battle next season or mid table conference if we do drop.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
mariner91
March 24, 2024, 9:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262

And which group do you identify as?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 24, 2024, 12:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from mariner91

And which group do you identify as?

I think I’m getting old….what is a window licker?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
Hagrid
March 24, 2024, 12:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534

I think I’m getting old….what is a window licker?

A disgusting way of describing someone disabled or with impairments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
White_shorts
March 24, 2024, 3:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Christ, I hope we get more than that.  After them it's Newport, Harrogate, Crewe, Colchester, Swindon and Crawley.  Four of those still have a chance of the playoffs at the moment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
MuddyWaters
March 24, 2024, 4:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Phil the cod

My son is autistic and has been going to GTFC since he was 6 - he's Town mad and now in his 30s. I don't think I'll be the only person on here who finds your comments deeply offensive.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
Theimperialcoroner
March 24, 2024, 4:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
I’ve removed Phil The Cod’s comments even if a few of you have rightly called them out.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
MuddyWaters
March 24, 2024, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I’ve removed Phil The Cod’s comments even if a few of you gave rightly called them out.

Thanks!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
Hagrid
March 24, 2024, 4:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Isnt the first time that poster has been highly offensive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 4:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I’ve removed Phil The Cod’s comments even if a few of you have rightly called them out.

Good!!!

He should be suspended for a week or two for that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
thornemariner
March 24, 2024, 5:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agreed. I never ceased to be amazed at how many turn up given our appalling EFL home record over the years.

I'd like to see us beat Bradford. I can't recall when we last beat a Yorkshire side at home in the EFL/NL.

I can't accuse Town fans of a lack of support. Yesterday was another example of a game being effectively over just after it had started.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
Heisenberg
March 24, 2024, 6:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from thornemariner

Agreed. I never ceased to be amazed at how many turn up given our appalling EFL home record over the years.

I'd like to see us beat Bradford. I can't recall when we last beat a Yorkshire side at home in the EFL/NL.

I can't accuse Town fans of a lack of support. Yesterday was another example of a game being effectively over just after it had started.

I remember beating Halifax about 7-0, if that helps!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
ska face
March 24, 2024, 8:39pm

Vodka Drinker

It’s amazing we’re getting anything above 2000 at home given the turd dished up to long-suffering home fans in the last few decades. Some of the stats I’ve seen on social media in the last few weeks make for shocking reading, all these are across the entire EFL -

Lowest goals per game average last 10 seasons:
1. GTFC (1.07 gpg)

Teams with longest run without back-to-back wins (inc prem):
4. GTFC (50 games)

Worst goal difference this century:
1. GTFC (minus 244)

Lowest goals per game at home average this century:
2. GTFC (1.24 gpg)

Most league games lost in football league history:
3. GTFC (1893)

Lowest goals per game last 5 years:
3. GTFC (1.03)

Most relegations in league history:
1. GTFC (17)

In amongst all that we’d been included in the top 5 for longest runs without a home win, longest run without an away win (13 at the time), longest overall run without a win (7) and some others.

7 times this season we’ve conceded 3 or more at home, that’s over a third of our home games. We’ve dropped 32 points from winning positions this season, the worst in the division. Had our worst result since 1948 in a spell of conceding 6, 5, 3, 2 and 5 again in consecutive home games. Started the season with 1 win in 7, then had spells of 1 win in 13, 1 win in 8 then 1 in 8 again all this season. Out of the league cup in the first round. 1 draw in the pizza cup against 10-man Man City u18s and drew away at semi-pro Slough town who were near the bottom of the national league south in the FA Cup.

And there’s people on here asking why anyone chooses to leave games early? Anyone who watches this shower on a regular basis needs a medal.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
chaos33
March 24, 2024, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360

I think this is a huge point. Way too many times have thousands turned up at significant financial cost, poised to join their compatriots in full throated support and excitement, only to see the team pull a stinker and the game dead within the first half hour.

Sure, you might accept, philosophically, and with the benefit of long service,  this to happen once, maybe twice a season, but it’s probably happened, what, 4 times since Christmas..?

It’s a good indication of the fact that this isn’t a good enough squad. It makes us look, as a club, a bit of a sh1t show.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
chaos33
March 24, 2024, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from ska face

It’s amazing we’re getting anything above 2000 at home given the turd dished up to long-suffering home fans in the last few decades. Some of the stats I’ve seen on social media in the last few weeks make for shocking reading, all these are across the entire EFL -

1. GTFC (1.07 gpg)

4. GTFC (50 games)

1. GTFC (minus 244)

2. GTFC (1.24 gpg)

3. GTFC (1893)

3. GTFC (1.03)

1. GTFC (17)

In amongst all that we’d been included in the top 5 for longest runs without a home win, longest run without an away win (13 at the time), longest overall run without a win (7) and some others.

7 times this season we’ve conceded 3 or more at home, that’s over a third of our home games. We’ve dropped 32 points from winning positions this season, the worst in the division. Had our worst result since 1948 in a spell of conceding 6, 5, 3, 2 and 5 again in consecutive home games. Started the season with 1 win in 7, then had spells of 1 win in 13, 1 win in 8 then 1 in 8 again all this season. Out of the league cup in the first round. 1 draw in the pizza cup against 10-man Man City u18s and drew away at semi-pro Slough town who were near the bottom of the national league south in the FA Cup.

And there’s people on here asking why anyone chooses to leave games early? Anyone who watches this shower on a regular basis needs a medal.

Stark reality.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
Norseman
March 24, 2024, 11:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from ska face

1. GTFC (1.07 gpg)

4. GTFC (50 games)

1. GTFC (minus 244)

2. GTFC (1.24 gpg)

3. GTFC (1893)

3. GTFC (1.03)

1. GTFC (17)

As the song goes "Things can only get better "
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
grimps
March 25, 2024, 5:00am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

To be fair we get 6000 every week now anyway, a big crowd these days just means there will be a full away end.
This squad should be used to it by now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
lew chaterleys lover
March 25, 2024, 8:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ska face

1. GTFC (1.07 gpg)

4. GTFC (50 games)

1. GTFC (minus 244)

2. GTFC (1.24 gpg)

3. GTFC (1893)

3. GTFC (1.03)

1. GTFC (17)

Good God. Although most of us have lived through it in real time, to see it written down like that is startling to say the least.

Anybody under a certain age have experienced nothing but abject failure in the Football league which is a horrible thought. How we are getting nearly full home ends is one of life's mysteries.

There is a solution however. We need a good manager and good players and all will be well. The owners can change the club in their own image as much as they want, but they will only be deemed successful if they oversee success in the EFL.

They have put some much needed basics in place but obviously have to get some real quality on the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
RonMariner
March 25, 2024, 9:13am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ska face

1. GTFC (1.07 gpg)

4. GTFC (50 games)

1. GTFC (minus 244)

2. GTFC (1.24 gpg)

3. GTFC (1893)

3. GTFC (1.03)

1. GTFC (17)

If we have been relegated 17 times and started in the 2nd tier, doesn’t that mean we must have been promoted 15 times?  If so that must rank pretty high surely? Do you have the stats on that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
RonMariner
March 25, 2024, 9:29am

Special Brew Drinker
Since 1998 we have also been in the playoffs 7 times and appeared in 4 cup finals. So it’s not been all doom and gloom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
mariner91
March 25, 2024, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from RonMariner
Since 1998 we have also been in the playoffs 7 times and appeared in 4 cup finals. So it’s not been all doom and gloom.

Yes but only two play offs and two cup finals were in the FL. Let’s face it, we’re a yo-yo club these days despite our good support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
ska face
March 25, 2024, 9:54am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Each to their own and whilst they were sometimes enjoyable occasions in isolation, I’m not sure battling in the conference playoffs against the likes of Eastleigh and Braintree, or the occasional FA Trophy final loss to Halifax will really energise the next generation of town fans.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
StacyColdicotts_hairline
March 25, 2024, 10:35am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ska face

1. GTFC (1.07 gpg)

4. GTFC (50 games)

1. GTFC (minus 244)

2. GTFC (1.24 gpg)

3. GTFC (1893)

3. GTFC (1.03)

1. GTFC (17)

Fantastic post and startling in equal measure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
arryarryarry
March 25, 2024, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Plankton

It's more to do with the crap performances and players unable to do the simple things like pass to a team mate.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
RonMariner
March 25, 2024, 12:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Each to their own and whilst they were sometimes enjoyable occasions in isolation, I’m not sure battling in the conference playoffs against the likes of Eastleigh and Braintree, or the occasional FA Trophy final loss to Halifax will really energise the next generation of town fans.

But the 2022 playoff campaign just might!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
TownSNAFU5
March 25, 2024, 1:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Apart from those appalling stats - we are ok? 😅😓😩
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
TownSNAFU5
March 25, 2024, 5:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Sorry for a flippant reply.  Despite the litany of failure above, we did set a national record in beating 5 teams in the FAC from higher divisions.

Our record winning in ET at Notts County and Wrexham was also rare and very special.  Sometimes a lack of money and skill can be overcome by guts, character and never giving in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
Theimperialcoroner
March 25, 2024, 6:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Also by dint of being the most relegated team, we are also the most promoted. It’s never boring.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
Spurn boy
March 25, 2024, 6:57pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Apart from those appalling stats - we are ok? 😅😓😩

We are only ok if we can manage to stay up and keep our league status , anything other than that will be horrendous for not only the club but us fans. Pre season I had so much excitement and expectations about what we could achieve but as each week went by the reality that we were not as good as we thought we were started to sink in and we have now got to the stage of the season that we are really hoping the results of other teams below us save us.Hey ho, the joys of following town. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
Yoda
March 25, 2024, 7:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
When you consider everything those stats are incredible.
I bet there are not many teams in Europe worse than that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
Yoda
March 25, 2024, 7:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Should we hope for a low attendance against Bradford in the hope the players perform better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
chipsandgravy
March 25, 2024, 7:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,614
Gold Stars: 37
Sick of watching a lack of any sort of quality. On Saturday we had one "flowing move" all game. This is a terrible squad (with two exceptions) and we will be mighty lucky to survive. If fans think Thompson is a good signing then they have either never seen some of the great midfielders we have had here or are too young. Personally I think he was gash on Saturday and tries to be too clever by half and has mostly flattered to deceive. He was blowing out of his arsenal after 60 minutes again. Dont know where we go from here. I look at our management team and I don't see them developing a quality squad but hope I am wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
lew chaterleys lover
March 25, 2024, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Sick of watching a lack of any sort of quality. On Saturday we had one "flowing move" all game. This is a terrible squad (with two exceptions) and we will be mighty lucky to survive. If fans think Thompson is a good signing then they have either never seen some of the great midfielders we have had here or are too young. Personally I think he was gash on Saturday and tries to be too clever by half and has mostly flattered to deceive. He was blowing out of his arsenal after 60 minutes again. Dont know where we go from here. I look at our management team and I don't see them developing a quality squad but hope I am wrong.

Yes we've been desentised to know what a good player is.

Any new player who doesn't make his second touch a tackle, or actually puts some effort in or scores a goal is lauded as the second coming, even by the manager who was obviously thrilled to bits that Obikwu had 2 slightly better games and actually scored.

Cartwright isn't ready, the Coventry lad isn't ready, the seasoned pros have gone backwards at a rate of knots, the wide players create nowt, we have no pace, we have no guile and the defending is abysmal. On Saturday it was downright insulting to the fans that not one of the starting 11 could control the ball, or seemingly have enough energy to get to the ball first.

If a team plays nice possession football we sometimes manage to fend them off, but anybody with a bit of pace and hunger about them and its like lambs to the slaughter.

We need to let as many players go as we can in the summer and start again, preferably with an idea of what we are trying to achieve. The budget will have to reflect the realities of modern league 2 football.

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 25, 2024, 8:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79

Yes we've been desentised to know what a good player is.

Any new player who doesn't make his second touch a tackle, or actually puts some effort in or scores a goal is lauded as the second coming, even by the manager who was obviously thrilled to bits that Obikwu had 2 slightly better games and actually scored.

Cartwright isn't ready, the Coventry lad isn't ready, the seasoned pros have gone backwards at a rate of knots, the wide players create nowt, we have no pace, we have no guile and the defending is abysmal. On Saturday it was downright insulting to the fans that not one of the starting 11 could control the ball, or seemingly have enough energy to get to the ball first.

If a team plays nice possession football we sometimes manage to fend them off, but anybody with a bit of pace and hunger about them and its like lambs to the slaughter.

We need to let as many players go as we can in the summer and start again, preferably with an idea of what we are trying to achieve. The budget will have to reflect the realities of modern league 2 football.

Pretty accurate summary of our current situation and obviously at least three people don’t like facing the facts of how poor this side is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
gytone
March 25, 2024, 8:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
I saw John Cockerill walking down the prom on Sunday, thought how we could do with someone like him now, Cockers and Cunnington were great midfield players for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
RonMariner
March 26, 2024, 7:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Looking at the remaining games for FGR and Sutton it would be pretty incredible for either of them to get 13 more points. Four wins and a draw from 7 and 6 remaining games respectively. So getting to 46 points is very unlikely for either of them.

Two wins and a draw get us there and you have to say that the home games against Bradford Swindon and Newport give us a great chance of doing that.

I don’t fancy our chances of getting much out of the Barrow game but a win on Monday will put us in a really strong position. In fact I am beginning to think 45 points will keep us up.

If we don’t manage that then quite frankly we don’t deserve to stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Bradford game is massive.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.