Projected Points Update

This thread currently has 2,437 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2024, 12:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Here's an updated points projection based on points per game over the season:

GTFC 1.05 per game, 10 games left so 10.5 points. Final Points: 48 or 49
FGR 0.89 per game, 8 points. Final points: 41
Colchester: 0.9 per game, 10 points. Final points: 42
Sutton: 0.71, 5/6 points. Final points: 33/4

We have gone above 1 per game for the first time since before Christmas and FGR's has improved. BUT,

Points in last 6 games:

GTFC 9
FGR 10
Colchester 4
Sutton 5

Colchester look to be making a very serious late run for relegation as their points per game over the last 6 has been a woeful 0.66 versus their performance over the season as a whole.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
It Bites
March 13, 2024, 12:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,191
Gold Stars: 265
Based on the last 5 games we’re going to pick up points but I’m of the thinking that 48 won’t be enough this time
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2024, 1:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
Based on the last 5 games we’re going to pick up points but I’m of the thinking that 48 won’t be enough this time

Historically 45 points is seen as the likely safety point with 50 absolutely guaranteeing safety.

Sutton are very unlikely to get to mid 40s. It will be interesting to see how Colchester do in the next few games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Poojah
March 13, 2024, 1:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from It Bites

Have a goosie at Colchester’s last 13 games and come back and tell me where they’re going to pick-up 16/17 points from. Keep in mind they’ve only notched 32 points from their 35 so far.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
MarinerDevil
March 13, 2024, 1:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,774
Gold Stars: 80
I think Salford are still in the conversation too. They were woeful when we beat them in December and, despite a run of good results in January, their form has turned for the worse in the last 5 games and we could overhaul them if we match their PPG and win our game in hand.

For us, I said a couple of games ago that if we could just maintain 1 PPG until the end of the season we would finish with 46 points which would be enough in my opinion. Last night's win puts us 2 points ahead of that target for now. FGR and Colchester need promotion form to beat that, and while FGR are close to achieving that at the moment, I don't think they'll be able to maintain that with their run-in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Poojah
March 13, 2024, 1:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil
I think Salford are still in the conversation too. They were woeful when we beat them in December and, despite a run of good results in January, their form has turned for the worse in the last 5 games and we could overhaul them if we match their PPG and win our game in hand.

For us, I said a couple of games ago that if we could just maintain 1 PPG until the end of the season we would finish with 46 points which would be enough in my opinion. Last night's win puts us 2 points ahead of that target for now. FGR and Colchester need promotion form to beat that, and while FGR are close to achieving that at the moment, I don't think they'll be able to maintain that with their run-in.

I feel relatively confident we can get past Salford. That said, I think it’s highly unlikely that all three of us, the veggies and Colchester get ahead of them.

If Salford were to go down, I think that would very likely equate to a pretty stressful and nervy relegation battle for all concerned. Personally, I think Colchester are deep, deep in the poo poo.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
mariner91
March 13, 2024, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from It Bites

You reckon Colchester are going to almost triple their PPG of the last 6 games in the final few weeks? With a fixture list building up with postponements. Can't see it myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
ska face
March 13, 2024, 1:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Just goes to show how important/impressive the win against FGR was. They’ve beaten Bradford, Walsall, Barrow and Tranmere as well as being a last minute penalty away from beating Wrexham too.

Colchester seem to be the ones to finish above. In their remaining games they’re playing the teams in

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
8th
9th
12th
16th
17th
18th
And us in 20th
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
Captain Sensible
March 13, 2024, 1:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5

Historically 45 points is seen as the likely safety point with 50 absolutely guaranteeing safety.

Sutton are very unlikely to get to mid 40s. It will be interesting to see how Colchester do in the next few games.

Historically:

2012-13 Barnet relegated on 51 pts.
2013-14 Bristol Rovers relegated on 50 pts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2024, 1:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Captain Sensible

Historically:

2012-13 Barnet relegated on 51 pts.
2013-14 Bristol Rovers relegated on 50 pts.

Yep, fair point. I was talking generally.

This year relegation could (could!) be as low as 42 points - my gut feel is that it will be more but I'm looking at the data  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
neverapen
March 13, 2024, 1:45pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 1
Seems like the new manager effect at Salford has worn off, although has anyone seen that Ryan Giggs is now their director of football? (not that I think this will make much difference) Salford are one of the worst teams i've seen this season so not surprised that are slipping back in the mix.

I'd be amazed if Colchester can pull together a set of enough decent results with their increasing fixture backlog. All it will take is a bit more rain and they'll have even more postponements. I think they are favourites to go down with Sutton.

Will be interesting to see the outcome of FGR v Sutton on sat. If Sutton lose I can't really see a way back for them, but if they do get a result then maybe they haven't given up the fight just yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2024, 1:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

If they get hammered by Stockport it could really undermine their confidence and start an unstoppable slide.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2024, 1:54pm
Champagne Drinker
"Seems like the new manager effect at Salford has worn off, although has anyone seen that Ryan Giggs is now their director of football?"

I hope that's just for the men's team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Hagrid
March 13, 2024, 1:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,420
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from It Bites

Give over hahaha your expecting 2 of the 3 worst teams in the division to go on a championship style winning run....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
supertown
March 13, 2024, 2:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,457
Gold Stars: 53
Colchester to go with about 43 points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Mappers
March 13, 2024, 2:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Yeah it won't be 48 points I doubt - there is the mixture of the bottom 6  teams playing each other so it means one has to lose points in those games . I think we need 8 points maybe 9 to be sure with our superior goal difference .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Poojah
March 13, 2024, 2:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Using the rudimentary and made-up methodology of taking the average of each club’s overall PPG to date, and their PPG over the last 10 and 6 respectively, this is how the bottom 5 looks like it will stack up (rounded to the nearest point):

Salford - 50 points
Town - 50 points
FGR - 45 points
Colchester - 41
Sutton - 33

Sutton are doomed, we know that, but Colchester’s overall PPG is very similar to that of Forest Green’s but is way worse over the last 10 and 6. It doesn’t bode well for them; they need to find a massive turnaround in form from somewhere, but a combination of tough opponents and fixture congestion is going to make that very, very difficult.

If we allow a 10% contingency in that safety benchmark, then an end of season total of 46 points seems highly likely to be enough for safety. For us, 2 wins and 2 draws from our last 10 would do that, while 3 wins and 7 defeats would take us beyond.

Personally, I think we’re in pretty good shape. We’re averaging 1.1 PPG over the last 10 and season as a whole; 0.8 between now and the end of the season should do.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
ginnywings
March 13, 2024, 2:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,133
Gold Stars: 548
I just wish we could turn a few more draws into wins, because we haven't lost that many games considering our league position. Teams far higher up the league have lost more games than we have, but of course, they have won more. Draws are like a slow and painful death by a thousand cuts.

We were robbed on Saturday, but should have been out of site by the time their pen was awarded. Had good chances in the previous two away games as well to take all three points, and it wouldn't be a travesty if we had won the last five games on the trot. We spurned good chances again last night, but got away with it.

Lost count of the amount of away games we have drawn that could and should have been wins. We seem to be getting the sh1tty end of the stick from penalty decisions lately too. Two or three blatant ones ignored by the ref in recent games, including last night, but if and when when we do get one, they have to be buried. Gav has missed some golden chances lately, which would have seen us a couple of places higher had he converted, but I suppose that is why teams end up down the bottom, because they aren't ruthless enough.

On the plus side, we are creating chances and have tightened up considerably at the back, which is yielding more points at the moment. Let's hope we can carry this good form into the home straight.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2024, 3:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I, and it wouldn't be a travesty if we had won the last five games on the trot. .

I suspect Wimbledon supporters would take issue with you over that. We were hanging on for dear life during parts of that game. I always felt a draw was deserved, a win would have been a mugging.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
TownSNAFU5
March 13, 2024, 3:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
I  am sure an earlier analysis showed FGR playing the top 5 teams in 5 consecutive games. Wow!  Good luck with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2024, 3:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Using the rudimentary and made-up methodology of taking the average of each club’s overall PPG to date, and their PPG over the last 10 and 6 respectively, this is how the bottom 5 looks like it will stack up (rounded to the nearest point):

Salford - 50 points
Town - 50 points
FGR - 45 points
Colchester - 41
Sutton - 33

Sutton are doomed, we know that, but Colchester’s overall PPG is very similar to that of Forest Green’s but is way worse over the last 10 and 6. It doesn’t bode well for them; they need to find a massive turnaround in form from somewhere, but a combination of tough opponents and fixture congestion is going to make that very, very difficult.

If we allow a 10% contingency in that safety benchmark, then an end of season total of 46 points seems highly likely to be enough for safety. For us, 2 wins and 2 draws from our last 10 would do that, while 3 wins and 7 defeats would take us beyond.

Personally, I think we’re in pretty good shape. We’re averaging 1.1 PPG over the last 10 and season as a whole; 0.8 between now and the end of the season should do.

I have always felt that a point per game would be enough and to be a bit ahead of that is good news.

Your cut and my broader data both suggest that relegation is below 43 points this season and that puts us pretty close to safety with 10 games to go. I have a mate who is a big Stevenage supporter (I know, I know..) but keeps a keen eye on us and he's been telling me for 3 weeks that we'll be fine.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Blundellite
March 13, 2024, 3:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
We have to play Colchester away though don't forget
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2024, 3:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Blundellite
We have to play Colchester away though don't forget

We play them on April 16th so both teams will have 2 games to go. On PPG we will be on 46 points and they will be on about 40 but we have better goal difference. A draw will be enough.

I suspect that they may not get to 40 points by the time we play them and the game will be irrelevant (for us!).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
LocalLadGTFC
March 13, 2024, 5:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,218
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from ginnywings
I just wish we could turn a few more draws into wins, because we haven't lost that many games considering our league position. Teams far higher up the league have lost more games than we have, but of course, they have won more. Draws are like a slow and painful death by a thousand cuts.

We were robbed on Saturday, but should have been out of site by the time their pen was awarded. Had good chances in the previous two away games as well to take all three points, and it wouldn't be a travesty if we had won the last five games on the trot. We spurned good chances again last night, but got away with it.

Lost count of the amount of away games we have drawn that could and should have been wins. We seem to be getting the sh1tty end of the stick from penalty decisions lately too. Two or three blatant ones ignored by the ref in recent games, including last night, but if and when when we do get one, they have to be buried. Gav has missed some golden chances lately, which would have seen us a couple of places higher had he converted, but I suppose that is why teams end up down the bottom, because they aren't ruthless enough.

On the plus side, we are creating chances and have tightened up considerably at the back, which is yielding more points at the moment. Let's hope we can carry this good form into the home straight.

This is a thing i've been saying for a while now, we've been beaten heavily the past few weeks but we've still only lost 14 games. Half the league has lost more than us, our different is we've drawn 14 aswell. If we turned half of those into wins we'd be 8th.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2024, 6:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

This is a thing i've been saying for a while now, we've been beaten heavily the past few weeks but we've still only lost 14 games. Half the league has lost more than us, our different is we've drawn 14 aswell. If we turned half of those into wins we'd be 8th.

If my grandma had wheels she would be a bicycle...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
Maringer
March 13, 2024, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Turning the opportunities into goals is the big issue. We've been completely reliant on Rose until now, with the other strikers not chipping in enough (in part because they haven't been fit for a lot of the season). Good to see Obikwu nick a couple and this will hopefully continue, but the midfield haven't really scored enough goals given the chances they've had, Eisa aside, and the defenders have only scored 4 goals between all of them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
IlkleyMariner
March 13, 2024, 7:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Looks like young Obikwu is a natural finisher.
Until last two games I wasn’t sure, but think for the next few games at least he will be a useful replacement for Rose.
Beyond that teams might have worked him out.
Let’s see.

Still hoping
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
forza ivano
March 13, 2024, 8:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,184
Gold Stars: 265
So we are saying that Coclhester will go down because they are on a poor run and won't turn it round????

a bit like a certain team who'd only won once in 3 months, were doomed to relegation, but have now hit promotion form in the last 5 games???

let's not get too ahead of ourselves, please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
LocalLadGTFC
March 13, 2024, 9:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,218
Gold Stars: 137

If my grandma had wheels she would be a bicycle...

What your grandma got up to in her spare time is nothing to do with me Bobby  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 30
RonMariner
March 13, 2024, 11:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,711
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from forza ivano
So we are saying that Coclhester will go down because they are on a poor run and won't turn it round????

a bit like a certain team who'd only won once in 3 months, were doomed to relegation, but have now hit promotion form in the last 5 games???

let's not get too ahead of ourselves, please

Exactly.  This ppg extrapolation is all well and good, but if applied to FGR six games ago you would never have said they would pick up 10 points from them would you? Nor would you think we would pick up 9.

It looks like both us and FGR have turned a corner. Should Colchester do likewise it might still be a very close run thing.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
Mappers
March 14, 2024, 6:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
The teams not wanting it to be a close run thing must be Salford and Swindon , if it's a slightly higher points total they could get dragged into it as they seem in freefall and out of form .

We are 6 points behind Swindon with 2 games in hand and still have to play them , Salford are 2 points ahead of us but we have a game in hand ; Hopefully Stockport beat them tonight because then it will be 2 points behind them with 2 games in hand .

Maybe with our recent form it's time to start looking upwards a little bit .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Projected Points Update

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.