11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
March 12, 2024, 9:39pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 199

Massive 3 points tonight.

Artell seems to have finally turned things around, we might just escape relegation the way it's going.

He's taken plenty of stick on here so credit where its due.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
March 12, 2024, 9:43pm
Guest User
That’s us down then. 😉
Reply: 1 - 102
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
March 12, 2024, 9:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,699
Gold Stars: 72
Wanted to mention aswell that he often does really well making substitutions and mid game tactical changes even ones that town fans arent already calling for sometimes which is a complaint we had with the past regime

Still a long way to go yet, but reality will be hitting colchester now be interesting to see if they react right away or they capitulate as town did in 2010. Salford only 2 points above us and weve got a game in hand on them, with us and forest green catching them up they might start to feel pressure too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 102
supertown
March 12, 2024, 9:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,459
Gold Stars: 53
He does. Let’s hope he can keep it going for a few more games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 102
DB
March 12, 2024, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,025
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from promotion plaice

Artell seems to have finally turned things around, we might just escape relegation the way it's going.

I can't agree more. I for one am eating humble pie for wanting him out after that Donny game. 9 points out of the last 15 available is not religation form. I get it, I get it as the man said.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 102
blundellpork
March 12, 2024, 9:52pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
When a new manager comes in, they usually need to sort out the defence and grind out a few results, before building from there.

He made a mistake trying to change the system so massively in those early games, as we narrowly missed out on the first few games, then gradually started getting walloped as confidence collapsed. It took too long to get here, and I do wonder whether it was the manager or the players who drove the change. Our style of play changed materially after the post match ‘clear the air meeting’. Not matter how it came about, we are finally keeping the opposition out and grinding out some points once more.

I will hold my hands up and say I wanted him gone a matter of weeks ago, but fair play to the board for holding fire. I would imagine they told him to sort it quickly or he would be gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 102
HertsGTFC
March 12, 2024, 9:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,955
Gold Stars: 228
I wanted him gone after Donny but tonight he alongside the players deserve massive credit

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 102
AndyGTFC
March 12, 2024, 9:56pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
He's completely changed his approach towards games and is getting results.

Not the time to be patting anyone on the back just yet, but fair play to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 102
Swansea_Mariner
March 12, 2024, 9:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,455
Gold Stars: 63
It's rare you see someone completely on the brink like thst turn it around on a dime, but there's tentative signs he might well get us over the line. Fine work Artell 👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 102
It Bites
March 12, 2024, 9:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
Only 3 teams outside the play offs lost less games than us . We’ll be fine now . Just wish the clear the air thing had happened after the Walsall game .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 102
Humbercod
March 12, 2024, 9:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Hard work is paying off well done Artell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 102
Brummie Codfather
March 12, 2024, 10:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +853
Gold Stars: 21
Totally agree, really impressed on how he’s switched it up to protect our weaknesses.  I won’t hide from loving Paul Hurst as our manager but I saw tonight a huge difference:

There were time where Hurst, amazing (usually) at building a squad would wait far too long to change a problem we all saw - sometimes to our detriment.  Tonight, Artell spotted how deep our wingers had gotten early, swapped them both  despite Gnahoua’s good showing, and that change helped us get it over the line.

I know this is probably not his style but Artell has shown willingness to compromise his vision & game plan to get a result & I can’t fault that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 102
pontoonlew
March 12, 2024, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
The levels of abuse he got in the weeks he was clearly getting to grips with things was ridiculous. He’s shown himself to be a very tactical astute manager over the past 5 games, we seem to be easing our way into playing a bit of football again at times as well.

I’d say the signs are positive for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 102
dapperz fun pub
March 12, 2024, 10:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,961
Gold Stars: 82
Once he realised trying to play ourselves out of trouble wasn’t going to work we had a chance plus the centre back pairing seems to have jelled which helps things no end. Still plenty to do but the moods changed for the better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 102
Blundellite
March 12, 2024, 10:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Great result town ⚽⚽🥳🥳🥳
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 102
Poojah
March 12, 2024, 10:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,598
Gold Stars: 1,503
I was pretty strident in my view that Artell should have gone after Donny. Look, I think it’s important to be able to put your hands up and admit when you were wrong about something, but there was no shortage of circumstantial evidence that something was seriously amiss. 21 goals conceded in 6 games is a crazy stat, especially when 1 of those results was a clean sheet.

My view at the time was simply that Artell was tactically bonkers, and that the players were devoid of confidence in the manager. The systematic approach and body language in those Stockport and Doncaster games appeared to speak volumes.

But the turnaround since is nothing short of remarkable. To go from conceding 21 in 6, to just 2 in 5 (when one of them was a penalty that should never have been given) is even more mental than the original stat. It’s just not something you see in football.

But neither can be fluke. If Artell deserved criticism for that terrible run - and he did, then he deserves huge credit for what’s transpired since. He’s shown tactical chops I didn’t think he had. Tonight, in particular, was a tactical masterclass.

79% possession sounds like an absolute skullfúcking. But for all that possession (and precisely 500 more passes according to the Sky stats) they managed 1 less shot in total than Town, 2 fewer on target and 0 chances of note. Meanwhile we’ve scored a goal, missed a penalty, had a good penalty shout denied and then, in the same passage of play, hit the inside of the post. I genuinely can’t remember the save Cartwright apparently made tonight.

A lot of credit has to go to the players, too, who certainly appear to be playing for the manager. They’ve shown a lot of grit this past 2 or 3 weeks - grit I think many people, myself included, didn’t think they had.

Still work to be done. Forest Green are showing they aren’t going away, and I don’t think we can afford to completely forget that wretched run at the beginning of the year until we are safe, but the signs are magnitudes more positive than I ever could have believed they might have been under Artell just a few weeks ago.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 102
Maringer
March 12, 2024, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,559
Gold Stars: 185
Their only chance was one which Tharme cleared at the back post, ball was goalbound and he was in the right place to shin it away.

Good battling once again, but it was frustrating how many counter-attacks we butchered ourselves. Several chances to increase the lead and we weren't able to work it intelligently enough to even get a shot on goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 102
Poojah
March 12, 2024, 10:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,598
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Maringer
Their only chance was one which Tharme cleared at the back post, ball was goalbound and he was in the right place to shin it away.

Good battling once again, but it was frustrating how many counter-attacks we butchered ourselves. Several chances to increase the lead and we weren't able to work it intelligently enough to even get a shot on goal.

Which explains why I don’t remember Cartwright making a save - he didn’t. Tells a story.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 102
Hagrid
March 12, 2024, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,436
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from pontoonlew
The levels of abuse he got in the weeks he was clearly getting to grips with things was ridiculous. He’s shown himself to be a very tactical astute manager over the past 5 games, we seem to be easing our way into playing a bit of football again at times as well.

Im not trying to be difficult here, but it really wasnt ridiculous.

We were getting absolutely humiliated and he was steadfast point blank telling us things that were simply not true. We conceded 5 goals in 3 of our first 5 games of the year. “Lost 5-1. Lost 6-1. And then came out saying we’d played well. I know you love trying to be right, but its not remotely true to say that the abuse/ judgement he was getting was ridiculous

Good on him for changing style, and he’s done it well, not knocking him and he deserves credit for that, I still say he was forced to change as opposed to wanting to change however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 102
toontown
March 12, 2024, 10:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Hagrid

We were getting absolutely humiliated and he was steadfast point blank telling us things that were simply not true. We conceded 5 goals in 3 of our first 5 games of the year. “Lost 5-1. Lost 6-1. And then came out saying we’d played well. I know you love trying to be right, but its not remotely true to say that the abuse/ judgement he was getting was ridiculous

Good on him for changing style, and he’s done it well, not knocking him and he deserves credit for that, I still say he was forced to change as opposed to wanting to change however.

Totally. And hopefully games like this were we've had a game plan to dig in and hit on the counter is literally showing him before his eyes that possession and pointless possession between CBs in your own half in particular, is not in itself a good display.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 102
LH
March 12, 2024, 10:54pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,532
Gold Stars: 173
This forums mental at times. Hurst got pelters for having a solid yet boring style in his first spell. Artell was getting hammered every game at home but he was “getting to grips with things”. He’s just started getting a grip with a style that the players know what they’re supposed to be doing. Jury’s still our for me and it’d take something very significant for me to forget that start to the year.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 102
TAGG
March 12, 2024, 11:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,952
Gold Stars: 126

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 102
TownSNAFU5
March 12, 2024, 11:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Many owners would have sacked the manager after so many dire results.  Look at York for example.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 102
ginnywings
March 12, 2024, 11:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
DA deserves credit, but I think Shaun and Ben do too. Not sure how much sway they have had in the change of shape and direction, but I imagine they will have had a significant input.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 102
jamesgtfc
March 12, 2024, 11:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,972
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
I was pretty strident in my view that Artell should have gone after Donny. Look, I think it’s important to be able to put your hands up and admit when you were wrong about something, but there was no shortage of circumstantial evidence that something was seriously amiss. 21 goals conceded in 6 games is a crazy stat, especially when 1 of those results was a clean sheet.

My view at the time was simply that Artell was tactically bonkers, and that the players were devoid of confidence in the manager. The systematic approach and body language in those Stockport and Doncaster games appeared to speak volumes.

But the turnaround since is nothing short of remarkable. To go from conceding 21 in 6, to just 2 in 5 (when one of them was a penalty that should never have been given) is even more mental than the original stat. It’s just not something you see in football.

But neither can be fluke. If Artell deserved criticism for that terrible run - and he did, then he deserves huge credit for what’s transpired since. He’s shown tactical chops I didn’t think he had. Tonight, in particular, was a tactical masterclass.

79% possession sounds like an absolute skullfúcking. But for all that possession (and precisely 500 more passes according to the Sky stats) they managed 1 less shot in total than Town, 2 fewer on target and 0 chances of note. Meanwhile we’ve scored a goal, missed a penalty, had a good penalty shout denied and then, in the same passage of play, hit the inside of the post. I genuinely can’t remember the save Cartwright apparently made tonight.

A lot of credit has to go to the players, too, who certainly appear to be playing for the manager. They’ve shown a lot of grit this past 2 or 3 weeks - grit I think many people, myself included, didn’t think they had.

Still work to be done. Forest Green are showing they aren’t going away, and I don’t think we can afford to completely forget that wretched run at the beginning of the year until we are safe, but the signs are magnitudes more positive than I ever could have believed they might have been under Artell just a few weeks ago.

The more I think about our situation, the more I think that Artell was hired because he said he could get the team playing the "Grimsby Way" immediately. Artell has recently said that this is only his second job, and the first in this situation, so he accepts that he possibly changed too much, too soon.

But, my theory that he said he could get us to play the "Grimsby Way" straight away essentially becomes something he was accountable to the board for, and this would explain the reluctance to change after each hammering. After the Doncaster game, things have thankfully changed. I am worried about when we do transition to the "Grimsby Way" but I hope lessons have been learned that it's a transitional process and you have to play to the strengths of the players at your disposal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 102
mariner91
March 12, 2024, 11:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,664
Gold Stars: 262
Deserves huge credit for having the humility to change his approach after so stubbornly saying he was going to stick with it for so long. I wanted him gone as did the majority but the players are responding to him and actually today was a well worked, tactical win. Had a game plan, got the players to carry it out and the game plan worked tremendously well. You can't ask for more than that.

Also deserves huge credit for the signings of Thompson, Tharme and Hume. They all took a little while to get going which is understandable when Tharme and Hume have barely played and Thompson has had injury worries but they've all been instrumental in changing our fortunes.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 102
Grantley
March 12, 2024, 11:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Thing is, this is the sort of style of play that should have been implemented when he came in. We all wanted Hurst to get back to grinding out 1-0s but he just couldn’t. If anything, this is the most Hurst-type run of games we’ve seen since 15/16. Safety was the most important thing when Hurst was sacked so whether Artell was getting to grips or experimenting, the football and results were not appropriate at the time.

Three more games like this and we’re pretty much safe.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 102
Theimperialcoroner
March 12, 2024, 11:30pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Whilst there is a lot of pragmatism in our play, we still scored a bloody lovely team goal tonight. Thompson and Hume are class. Tharme seems to be just what we needed too.
MK are a very good team and bang in form, yet they didn’t really lay many gloves on us. 2 decent chances was about it. I’d say for all their possession we had the better of  the clear cut stuff. A massive win.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 102
Mappers
March 12, 2024, 11:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,339
Gold Stars: 119
I think he deserves credit for his willing to change .

League 2 is crap though and you can get by with work ethic , organisation and the odd player with a bit of ability .

I think he's going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place- he's stumbled upon an effective style for the situation and one that would probably have you doing relatively well if implemented for a whole season in this league it's almost Hurst + .

It's obviously the complete contradiction on the way he thinks the game should be played , so will he rip the whole thing up both with wholesale changes to the squad and reverting to Artell ball come August ?

The players don't fit his style , but most of them are good enough in this style of play and look really good will he just discard them ?

It will be interesting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 102
MarinerWY
March 12, 2024, 11:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Hagrid

Him getting stick wasn't ridiculous, but some of the abuse people were giving went far too far... 3 people leaning over the advertising boards and laying into him mid-game at Donny, eventually having to be pushed away by stewards, was too far. Especially if some of the stuff they allegedly said was even half true.

But yeah, most people expressed their frustration is a much more reasonable but still vocal way and that was fine.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 102
davmariner
March 12, 2024, 11:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
People know I’m not an Artell fan but I’m pleased things are starting to turn around. It’s clear that something had to change in terms of our approach and  in my view that seemingly would only come with a change of manager. Whatever happened during that clear the air week seems to have done the trick at the minute.

I honestly don’t give a excrement how we play, we just need the points. Credit to the team and the coaching staff - it’s clear that everyone has dug deep over the last few games to pick up points.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 102
Nelly GTFC
March 12, 2024, 11:50pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Many owners would have sacked the manager after so many dire results.  Look at York for example.  
100%. I've been on Artells side, and then the big doubt everyone must have had after the Donny game including me.The pressure after that Doncaster game must have been massive, thank goodness its paying off.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 102
forza ivano
March 12, 2024, 11:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
I'm with Ginny n several others on here. I firmly believe that he was forced by a) the staff b) the players c)1878 an d) the fans to change his approach. It wasn't done by choice.
Having said that, it appears that the scales have fallen from his eyes and he has accepted the evidence before his own eyes that a) & b) were right and this new system fits the players we have.

And guess what? the players are obviously much happier and more comfortable with this formation and way of playing
And guess what? they're feeling better, so they play better  and they're more together and confident coz they're getting results. I think it's called a virtuous circle.

he does deserve credit for accepting (if not necessarily embracing) the change and doing so with a real lack of player choices. I will await the verdict of Tommy and others more qualified on here, but it seems the plan tonight was devised and executed almost perfectly. Felt the enforced tweak in formation and approach actually benefited us, as we looked far more threatening in attack, yet still retained that defensive solidity (was that summat to do with the way BFS play?)

His post match interview was probably the most excited I've heard him; maybe he's discovered that tonight's sort of performance is actually the closest you'll get to 'The Grimsby Way'?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 102
Limerick Mariner
March 12, 2024, 11:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mappers
I think he deserves credit for his willing to change .

League 2 is crap though and you can get by with work ethic , organisation and the odd player with a bit of ability .

I think he's going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place- he's stumbled upon an effective style for the situation and one that would probably have you doing relatively well if implemented for a whole season in this league it's almost Hurst + .

It's obviously the complete contradiction on the way he thinks the game should be played , so will he rip the whole thing up both with wholesale changes to the squad and reverting to Artell ball come August ?

The players don't fit his style , but most of them are good enough in this style of play and look really good will he just discard them ?

It will be interesting

He’s a relatively inexperienced manager; a decent number of games under his belt for his age but all at one club with a very distinctive style backed by a youth dynasty that fed it.

I can’t see him reverting, certainly not full on. We won’t get the players for it. I’d be very happy with Hurst+ with a frilly shirt at 10. Envisage a McAtee type playing with the grafting of Rose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 102
grimsby pete
March 13, 2024, 12:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
  I need to apologise to Dave for being too hasty in wanting him gone.

He has turned things round from shipping goals in to being very difficult to score against.

Keep this up and we will be safe with a few games to spare.

So well done to all the players are working their socks off for the gaffer.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 102
AncientExiledMariner
March 13, 2024, 1:23am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I got an absolute roasting on here when 90% wanted him gone and only 2 or 3 were bold enough to say we should stick with him. I'd seen enough to know he could get the team playing, and with an active transfer window players needed to get in and work their way into form. Not many hit the ground running.

Ultimately, change is not a quick process, and making your mind up quickly on players or managers in football often shows that the social media fire after 3 games approach is just not based in any reality. It's expensive and wasteful.

Good job, DA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 102
Mappers
March 13, 2024, 6:38am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

He’s a relatively inexperienced manager; a decent number of games under his belt for his age but all at one club with a very distinctive style backed by a youth dynasty that fed it.

I can’t see him reverting, certainly not full on. We won’t get the players for it. I’d be very happy with Hurst+ with a frilly shirt at 10. Envisage a McAtee type playing with the grafting of Rose.

I would tbf . If we continued with this system the need for player turnover would be far less aswell .

Probably 5-7 players instead of 15+

I would try seriously  hard for Cartwright & Obikwu back on loan as I feel they will get better and better . Obikwu maybe even has 20 goals in him if he gets a full season at this level he looks very good .

I think the middle of the park must be a priority we still need physicality and ability in there to go alongside Thompson's obvious skillset .

The defence looks less of an issue to me if we continue to play the system that suits the players back there .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 102
chicaneuk
March 13, 2024, 7:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Honestly it's just more relief for me that the manager has managed to make some changes (and of course the players) to stop the rot and give us some hope as we head towards the end of the season. A belief that together they are a capable group and on this form could quite easily be a far more viable concern heading into next season.

It seemed unfathomable that collectively we were SO bad, and that with how angry the supporters were, that the manager had to go so credit to Andrew and Jason I suppose for insisting we had to stick with David and him reforming his tactics so convincingly.

I can't say I wanted him to go but things were so dire I didn't really see any other way forward.. I just cannot handle the thought that we would drop into non-league again! But I think he has proven a lot of wrong that he is a quick thinking adaptable and passionate guy. If he can just keep us comfortably out of the drop zone this season I will be ecstatic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 102
Yarborough Vaults
March 13, 2024, 7:57am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
A side that plays 50% Hurst and 50% Artell would be ideal in the long term.

However, once we're mathematically safe then DA can put 11 strikers out for all I care. Experiment when there is no jeopardy or its like doing brain surgery on an awake patient.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 102
acko338
March 13, 2024, 8:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
Not just a change in tactics, but an upgrade in fitness and form with Hume, Thompson and Tharne all becoming granite stones in their respective positions.

The back 4 is more solid and not fiddling around the 6 yard box any more, and Thompson is fitter and lasting a full 90 minutes now.  

One notable lower point is the amount of times that Gav Holihan is being caught in possession, or makes give away passes to opponents and mainly in central field areas.

Last night has proved that Obikwu is a player that can graft up front and take some pressure away from Rose. Rose was missed but we cannot rely on 1 player up front for 46 games.

2 in 2 games is showing that scuffy goals are as important as Eisa's rocket shots.

Obikwu needs to avoid the offsides as he could have had at least 2 more chances to score with a glance across the defence line first. His pace already took him free, just too soon.

Considering the possession, the more accurate passing, the chasing that Town had to do, we prevented a potential top 3 team from scoring last night.

It was a gritty, hard worked performance that would have been made easier with that penno being scored. The worst penno that I have seen Holohan take.

More tough games looming, so please play as hard as in this one, and points will be earned.

5 bookings against none for them with some rank fouls being missed by the ref, so who rates their performances , as we've drawn some stinkers recently?

Shame about the late Sutton penno - we would now be above Salford on goal difference otherwise.

Onwards and upwards !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 102
Maringer
March 13, 2024, 8:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
I suspect Artell is initially overestimated the quality of the squad and therefore kept expecting the corner to be turned when he was telling them to play a more expansive game. Unfortunately, we're much, much too limited in midfield as well as lacking in pace to be able to play in that manner. BFS showed last night the level required to play through midfield (and they will have paid a lot of money for that) and even they were unable to do much against our committed defensive performance.

I'm pleased that Artell took a more pragmatic approach - eventually! Could and should have taken stock a few games earlier into that terrible home run, I think.

On the assumption that we can battle our way to safety, I think there are a good few players who won't be here next season as they simply aren't capable enough with the ball at their feet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 102
GibMariner
March 13, 2024, 8:09am
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
All is good then. Onwards and upwards

UTMM
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 102
grimps
March 13, 2024, 8:11am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Brummie Codfather
Totally agree, really impressed on how he’s switched it up to protect our weaknesses.  I won’t hide from loving Paul Hurst as our manager but I saw tonight a huge difference:

There were time where Hurst, amazing (usually) at building a squad would wait far too long to change a problem we all saw - sometimes to our detriment.  Tonight, Artell spotted how deep our wingers had gotten early, swapped them both  despite Gnahoua’s good showing, and that change helped us get it over the line.

I know this is probably not his style but Artell has shown willingness to compromise his vision & game plan to get a result & I can’t fault that.

Hursts problem was his stubbornness,he'd still be here if had the ability to chnage things around a bit.
Every other manager in the league knew how he's play and even what time's his subs would come on.
If we was 1-0 up we'd see a defender come on in the 75th minute, if we was 3-0 down when see a striker come on in the 85th minute.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 102
ROKERITE
March 13, 2024, 8:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
I got an absolute roasting on here when 90% wanted him gone and only 2 or 3 were bold enough to say we should stick with him. I'd seen enough to know he could get the team playing, and with an active transfer window players needed to get in and work their way into form. Not many hit the ground running.

Ultimately, change is not a quick process, and making your mind up quickly on players or managers in football often shows that the social media fire after 3 games approach is just not based in any reality. It's expensive and wasteful.

Good job, DA.

Indeed you did. Football fans at every club make their minds up so quickly these days. Many of the greatest managers in history might never have had the careers they did if owners had judged them after a few months.

Whether David Artell will bring success remains to be seen. But the vitriol thrown at him after such a short time was ridiculous however dreadful some of the results had been.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 102
grimps
March 13, 2024, 9:15am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Quoted from ROKERITE

Indeed you did. Football fans at every club make their minds up so quickly these days. Many of the greatest managers in history might never have had the careers they did if owners had judged them after a few months.

Whether David Artell will bring success remains to be seen. But the vitriol thrown at him after such a short time was ridiculous however dreadful some of the results had been.

This is true but not many mangers could have survived getting walloped 5-6 at home every week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 13, 2024, 9:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from ROKERITE

Didn’t Michael Beale get some in his first game at Sunderland? He was hardly backed by the fans and performances and results were nowhere as bad as Towns. Most football fans are the same and I honestly believe that the criticism was more vitriolic as we have gone out the league twice in recent memory and those results in January suggested strongly that we were on for a hat trick.

Still not safe but things look much better thankfully.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 102
Mikey_345
March 13, 2024, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106

Absolutely, really happy to stick my hand up and say I got this one wrong.

Something obviously did need to change after that run, ending with the Donny defeat. I suppose most of us thought it'd have to be the manager as rarely do you get such a tactical and style change like we've had any other way.

Full credit to him and the rest of the staff  - they've identified the issue, changed course and done so by instilling some real backbone and confidence into the team. That meeting with the players and subsequently between the staff looks to have been a real positive event. The players also have been absolute mountains defensively the last few games, hardly believable it's the same group.

Artell has been big enough to see the problems, understand them, accept them and change it. That's something that's very easy for someone to say online but is never easy to do in real life. So he deserves huge huge credit for that - it's admitting you're wrong in an industry that isn't particularly conducive to that - the bloke clearly does now what he's doing.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 102
rancido
March 13, 2024, 9:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Maringer
I suspect Artell is initially overestimated the quality of the squad and therefore kept expecting the corner to be turned when he was telling them to play a more expansive game. Unfortunately, we're much, much too limited in midfield as well as lacking in pace to be able to play in that manner. BFS showed last night the level required to play through midfield (and they will have paid a lot of money for that) and even they were unable to do much against our committed defensive performance.

I'm pleased that Artell took a more pragmatic approach - eventually! Could and should have taken stock a few games earlier into that terrible home run, I think.

On the assumption that we can battle our way to safety, I think there are a good few players who won't be here next season as they simply aren't capable enough with the ball at their feet.

When DA took over he said our previous performances were a bit " meh". He then said, after his first training session with the squad , that he was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the players. I think that was his basis behind his statement that we wouldn't get relegated. As a consequence I think he thought that, with his style of playing, he could transfer that training ground quality into match performances. Sadly he couldn't, hence the poor performances and shipping loads of goals. The " clear the air meeting" obviously raised issues and concerns by the players/ coaching staff which lead to DA  changing the playing format and style. The key thing, to me anyway, is that DA said that he wished the players/staff had spoken up " 4 or 5 weeks" previous. Maybe if they had then it's possible that the change in playing style could have been implemented sooner, although that is something we will never know. He is still a relatively inexperienced manager with only one club under his belt and that club , Crewe, had a playing style deeply imprinted in it's DNA. DA had achieved a promotion playing that way so it was only natural that he would see that as the route to success. The fact that he has changed demonstrates that he is adaptable, not stubborn or set in his ways and willing to take on new approaches to gain success.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 102
Mappers
March 13, 2024, 9:40am
Champagne Drinker
Artell got it wrong
The fans got it wrong
Call it a draw
Onwards & upwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 102
Northbank Mariner
March 13, 2024, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,489
Gold Stars: 171
I honestly think they all sat n watched "all town aren't we" in that dressing room after the Donny game.

We will never be privy to the conversation but the players, staff and managers look like they've had the weight of the world taken off their shoulders.

Fair play to Artell for having the bollox to admit he was wrong (he said to JT he tried to change too much, too quick) and listen to all voices because its not only changed our style of play, results and confidence but you can see the improved unity right through the club, even down to us fans/supporters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 102
Mikey_345
March 13, 2024, 9:55am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I honestly think they all sat n watched "all town aren't we" in that dressing room after the Donny game.

Listening to Gav's interview this week, other than the how they're playing question it seems he made quite a point about what it took to get out of the NL and what it means to the town and club. Watching that Doc again, like i did when it came out on Amazon would have been a great idea though!

Bumped into Danny Rose very briefly after Wimbledon, was interesting that a point he was very keen to make was how everyone is playing for each other, the club and the Town now - seems some real togetherness and fight came from that chat and the week after. I'm not saying that the opposite was true before, all players try, but I think there may have been a collective penny drop moment..

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 102
Mayaman
March 13, 2024, 10:12am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
What I'd give for DA to be my gaffer right now.  The place is crumbling (metaphorically and literally).  If the management don't change what they are doing, we won't have a school next year.   He deserves credit.  I didn't think he would.  I assumed he was too stubborn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 102
neverapen
March 13, 2024, 10:19am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mappers
Artell got it wrong
The fans got it wrong
Call it a draw
Onwards & upwards

This. Feel like we're now all friends again and in a good place.

Pretty sure I also saw DA clapping along with the fans at one point during the match last night. Worlds apart from a few weeks ago when he was having season tickets chucked at him
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 102
friskneymariner
March 13, 2024, 10:57am

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
I think the fans deserve a little credit,as much as Artell moaned about the abuse for playing out from the back,but it must have played some part in influencing him to change the style of play.Perhaps we know more about football than we are given credit for.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 102
forza ivano
March 13, 2024, 10:59am

Exile
I wonder whether the dressing room 'meeting' after Donny brought the players together; wouldn't be the first meeting where people in the room suddenly realised that they were all thinking the same thing but just hadn't said it out loud.

I will reserve judgement on Artell for a little while (if you don't mind!) , coz I'm still not convinced he won't just revert to type if and when we become safe.

As someone said , if he can mix Hurstball with his way of playing we might be on to something; he'd be really stupid to ditch this defensive solidity, discipline and confidence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 102
A Brace Of Tees
March 13, 2024, 11:07am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
The 'clear the air' meetings following the Doncaster debacle have clearly had a huge impact, and credit to Artell for listening to the players and realising he was making a huge fu*k up of things.

Pointlessly tapping the ball backwards and forwards around our 18 yard box was dangerously cavalier, led to a hatful of goals conceded and sapped the players' confidence.

Since the players offered their own tactical ideas, we have returned to a more pragmatic, Hurst-like style of play which has turned our fortunes around. Cartwright in particular has been transformed by this change and looks a very promising goalkeeper.

If we are fortunate enough to escape relegation then I'd be happy for Artell to introduce his 'ideas', but until then we need to keep things risk-free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 102
Rodley Mariner
March 13, 2024, 11:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
I think what's been done was absolutely right in the circumstances and will hopefully help us grind our way to safety. I hope we'll be looking to play a bit more progressively next season though with some more technical ability recruited and find a middle ground with our approach. I enjoyed last night and am delighted with the result but I wouldn't want to see us have 21% of possession on a regular basis.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 102
devs
March 13, 2024, 11:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Huge amount of praise must go to all of those who wanted Artell out after a few games
And are now changing their minds
What a decent group of chaps you are
Well done...

It takes a lot of guts to hide behind social media and slag someone off mercilessly then when things look a bit better to come out in favour...

Just keep commenting hour by hour - game by game - that's the way to build something..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 102
BrMarin
March 13, 2024, 11:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Mappers
Artell got it wrong
The fans got it wrong
Call it a draw
Onwards & upwards

Don't think the fans got it wrong. The fans booed playing out from the back, the tactics changed and we improved. So the fans were right.

Artell is basically doing what Ben and Shaun would have done. So if he was sacked results would likely have improved anyway. So those who wanted him sacked also weren't wrong.

I agree personal abuse is unacceptable though

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 102
A Brace Of Tees
March 13, 2024, 11:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from devs
Huge amount of praise must go to all of those who wanted Artell out after a few games
Well done...

It takes a lot of guts to hide behind social media and slag someone off mercilessly then when things look a bit better to come out in favour...

Just keep commenting hour by hour - game by game - that's the way to build something..

I wouldn't say everyone's suddenly in favour, because it was clear to all that Artell's tactics were hopelessly misguided. I am pleased he's recognised this and taken on board the views of players and staff who seem to have had more of a grasp on reality than he did.

Long may it continue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 102
Mappers
March 13, 2024, 11:30am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from devs
Well done...

Any fan of any club would have been saying the same after being torched so many times at home . Credit must go to the board for holding a steady nerve , most would have pulled the trigger no doubt .

To paint a narative that Town fans are somehow different in that way though, is at best to be turning a blind eye .

For first hand evidence I would suggest the Notts County forum for a browse at the present time , another one that makes The Fishies and fans opinions on Artell mild in comparison .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 102
smokey111
March 13, 2024, 11:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349
Quoted from BrMarin

Don't think the fans got it wrong. The fans booed playing out from the back, the tactics changed and we improved. So the fans were right.

Artell is basically doing what Ben and Shaun would have done. So if he was sacked results would likely have improved anyway. So those who wanted him sacked also weren't wrong.

I agree personal abuse is unacceptable though

A bit puzzled by Shaun and Ben's reincarnation as Clough and Taylor. They held the fort for a few games. 2 against a team 2 tiers below.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 102
sam gy
March 13, 2024, 11:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Hagrid

Think it's doing a disservice to his interviews a bit there and purely focusing one one or two statements out of what is usually what, a ten minute interview. He did say we'd played well at times. And he was right. Until we conceded against Walsall after 35 mins or whatever, we were playing well. In the first half against Donny we played well (admittedly we were already losing), and the Notts match was just a great spectacle all round IMO - poor defending yes but great, exciting play going forward.

BUT - he always said that it wasn't good enough also, always said that it doesn't matter how you play if you don't get the points etc. He had to offer some shade of positivity and light - for the sake of the players, for the sake of his job.

It's not as if he was just blindly proclaiming that we were actually brilliant whilst shipping 5 odd goals.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 102
devs
March 13, 2024, 11:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
My comment was partly designed to wind a few up - but it would be good if many held fire until 8-10 games in to see what patterns emerge
I think it's brave of Artell to admit he went too far too fast and has changed to a more practical style
Only have to look at Notts C to see that even if you have possibly the best front six in L2 if your house has crap foundations (defence) then it's impossible to wins games

He's earmarked the warriors, fighters, battlers and moulded a team that gives very little away - apart from the ball... we are still far too wasteful in possession

I'm pretty certain the current midfield is not his idea of how he wants to play but it's 'needs must' and if that means we survive then that's all that matters

Big praise also for his transfer window signings - Obikwu, Thompson, Tharme, Hume are all quality at this level and have made a huge impact; Smith lost his place to a resurgent Mullarkey

He is very proactive with subs - a refreshing change from others (!) - and 80% of his barking on touchline is positive and encouraging; he never bloody stops!

Onwards an upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 102
Limerick Mariner
March 13, 2024, 12:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I would tbf . If we continued with this system the need for player turnover would be far less aswell .

Probably 5-7 players instead of 15+

I would try seriously  hard for Cartwright & Obikwu back on loan as I feel they will get better and better . Obikwu maybe even has 20 goals in him if he gets a full season at this level he looks very good .

I think the middle of the park must be a priority we still need physicality and ability in there to go alongside Thompson's obvious skillset .

The defence looks less of an issue to me if we continue to play the system that suits the players back there .

When DA talked about developing the Grimsby Way I think he was naively thinking about the best of Buckley years. Perhaps this reflects his lack of in depth experience of clubs other than Crewe.
The structure and finance of the game has changed so much since the best of the Buckley years. I think a successful Grimsby Way needs to be Hurst+ with a bit more flair and ambition in the attacking third. We don’t really do prima donnas in GY and Clee do we, but whilst McAtee was a strutting and arrogant so and so, for most of his time here (maybe not right at the end) he was also a good grafter. For me he is one of PHs best ever signings and he put bums on seats. The dislocation was a massive shame. Hanging onto players like that is so difficult though. Can we go for an end of career approach and find our own version of McGoldrick perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 102
forza ivano
March 13, 2024, 1:01pm

Exile
Quoted from devs
My comment was partly designed to wind a few up - but it would be good if many held fire until 8-10 games in to see what patterns emerge
I think it's brave of Artell to admit he went too far too fast and has changed to a more practical style
Only have to look at Notts C to see that even if you have possibly the best front six in L2 if your house has crap foundations (defence) then it's impossible to wins games

He's earmarked the warriors, fighters, battlers and moulded a team that gives very little away - apart from the ball... we are still far too wasteful in possession

I'm pretty certain the current midfield is not his idea of how he wants to play but it's 'needs must' and if that means we survive then that's all that matters

Big praise also for his transfer window signings - Obikwu, Thompson, Tharme, Hume are all quality at this level and have made a huge impact; Smith lost his place to a resurgent Mullarkey

He is very proactive with subs - a refreshing change from others (!) - and 80% of his barking on touchline is positive and encouraging; he never bloody stops!

Onwards an upwards...

Good points, well made.
He is so short of midfield options
Wood has been disappearing/anonymous and 2 of his better options ( ainley n khouri ) are not fit. I'd love to know how close Ainley is to full fitness, he cant be that far away n imho would make a big difference
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 102
neverapen
March 13, 2024, 1:13pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

When DA talked about developing the Grimsby Way I think he was naively thinking about the best of Buckley years. Perhaps this reflects his lack of in depth experience of clubs other than Crewe.
The structure and finance of the game has changed so much since the best of the Buckley years. I think a successful Grimsby Way needs to be Hurst+ with a bit more flair and ambition in the attacking third. We don’t really do prima donnas in GY and Clee do we, but whilst McAtee was a strutting and arrogant so and so, for most of his time here (maybe not right at the end) he was also a good grafter. For me he is one of PHs best ever signings and he put bums on seats. The dislocation was a massive shame. Hanging onto players like that is so difficult though. Can we go for an end of career approach and find our own version of McGoldrick perhaps?

Maybe a mixed model where you have some 'end of career' type players alongside your McAtee / Conteh type players where you accept that you won't get longevity but they will do a job for you when you do have them, and make you some profit. DA seems to know this model, as he did it at Crewe and has spoken about a desire to progress players in their careers.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 102
LocalLadGTFC
March 13, 2024, 1:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from forza ivano

Good points, well made.
He is so short of midfield options
Wood has been disappearing/anonymous and 2 of his better options ( ainley n khouri ) are not fit. I'd love to know how close Ainley is to full fitness, he cant be that far away n imho would make a big difference

He was on the pitch before Sutton doing fitness work with Arthur and looked quite a way off Arthur understandably. I believe he has another course of radiotherapy to go through and then that's it hopefully. I don't think we'll see him again this season personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 67 - 102
Maringer
March 13, 2024, 1:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

I thought Wood actually did quite well when he came on last night. Used the ball decently, won the challenge which led to Obikwu being fouled for the penalty that wasn't given and also hit the post with a good shot. Much more like his initial appearance (but for the goal!) than the previous one I saw at BP where he looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Perhaps better as a sub for now, than a starter, but encouraging, all the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 102
ginnywings
March 13, 2024, 2:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Think we also have to give credit to Joe Hutchinson. Artell has said that he is the coach only, so Joe must have been front and centre of recruiting players in Jan that have definitely improved the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 102
arryarryarry
March 13, 2024, 2:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from pontoonlew

I thought he showed naivety in trying to change things straight away and it comes to something when the players have to tell him why it's going wrong.

A great battling performance last night but I am still to be convinced that he will lead us to better things.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 102
GibMariner
March 13, 2024, 2:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
One Swallow or two as the saying goes but we may have turned the corner.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 102
NorfolkImp
March 13, 2024, 4:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11

I agree, he’s certainly sorted your defence out it seems.

Pressure now definitely on the Cowley brothers down in Essex, as FGR are also turning things around under Cotterill.

Private Message
Reply: 72 - 102
ROKERITE
March 13, 2024, 5:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Didn’t Michael Beale get some in his first game at Sunderland? He was hardly backed by the fans and performances and results were nowhere as bad as Towns. Most football fans are the same and I honestly believe that the criticism was more vitriolic as we have gone out the league twice in recent memory and those results in January suggested strongly that we were on for a hat trick.

Still not safe but things look much better thankfully.

Beale did and it was embarrassing and ridiculous. It was a crazy appointment but we've had a lot of them over the last decade and more. Beale should never have got the job but to be subjected to such vile abuse during his first match in charge was indefensible. As I wrote in the post you quoted "football fans at every club make their minds up so quickly these days" but an hour into his first game was extreme.

I ended up feeling a bit sorry for Mick Beale, It was the powers-that-be at the club who really deserved the flack. Just waiting to see what prize pudding they serve up come the end of the season; or maybe they'll get it right finally.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 102
ROKERITE
March 13, 2024, 5:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

I agree, he’s certainly sorted your defence out it seems.

Pressure now definitely on the Cowley brothers down in Essex, as FGR are also turning things around under Cotterill.

As if things weren't hard enough for Colchester there is a good chance their postponements will see them playing twice a week till the season's end.

If they go down they have the right management team to bounce straight back up. I know geography played the largest part in their decision to go to Colchester but it still seemed an odd choice to turn down easily the biggest club in League Two and two months later join one of the smallest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 102
jamesgtfc
March 13, 2024, 5:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,972
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ROKERITE

As if things weren't hard enough for Colchester there is a good chance their postponements will see them playing twice a week till the season's end.

If they go down they have the right management team to bounce straight back up. I know geography played the largest part in their decision to go to Colchester but it still seemed an odd choice to turn down easily the biggest club in League Two and two months later join one of the smallest.

Are they the right team to bring Colchester straight back up? They haven't managed a non-league team since May 2017.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 102
ROKERITE
March 13, 2024, 5:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Are they the right team to bring Colchester straight back up? They haven't managed a non-league team since May 2017.

Time will tell but I couldn't think of a better one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 102
pontoonlew
March 13, 2024, 6:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Quoted from Hagrid

He wasn’t saying things that weren’t true though IMO. He said the data suggested that we shouldn’t have been on the receiving end of those results, watching those games I agreed with him, Walsall in particular was bizarre how we managed to concede 6 goals.

We’ve now got what we deserved from most of our games and only really had one slice of bad luck (Sutton). Before that we’d have something ridiculous happen every single game, I think the upturn has been a mixture of shoring up the defence and finally having the rub of the green in big moments. On top of that, his signings have finally started to bed in, it’s been a long time since we’ve made multiple January signings where they’ve all made a positive impact. Smith is the only one who there are question mark on but that’s more him being a victim of the new system. Artell deserves massive credit for those signings, especially after most completely wrote them off within a week.

Besides, you called him ‘Dopey Dave’, I’d put that in the ridiculous category.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 102
toontown
March 13, 2024, 7:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Think we also have to give credit to Joe Hutchinson. Artell has said that he is the coach only, so Joe must have been front and centre of recruiting players in Jan that have definitely improved the team.

Definitely. These will be signings mostly identified by Hutchinson, albeit Artell presumably has right of veto. Artell said as much when he joined that it would be a relief to not have to do all the stuff like recruitment which he had been expected to at Crewe.

Tharme was very clearly not an Artell signing - more of a stopper (a decent one tho obviously) than a cultured passing CB. He even mentioned his passing was a weakness when he joined so he's hardly going to be first choice for Artell. On his debut Artell singled him out for criticism for his tendency for a hoof - something he still does by the way, but I'd rather see that than the passing to each other in the 6 yard box!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 102
lee65
March 13, 2024, 9:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
What dawned on me watching last night was how Artell has been able to totally switch the team’s approach 180 degrees.  He may not want to play like this ultimately, but having had to take a pragmatic approach (yes, after the “clear the air” meeting) he has the ability to do it well.

It’s hurstball but better, no “get Parslow on” panic moves inviting pressure, but set the team up to do a job, and recognise in good time when tactical changes or fresh legs are needed and sort it!

The timely subs last night, particularly Green and Andrews enabled us to generally defend from 20 yards further up the pitch and that helped us see the game out without too many scares.

Well done DA  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 102
Limerick Mariner
March 13, 2024, 10:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ROKERITE

I know geography played the largest part in their decision to go to Colchester but it still seemed an odd choice to turn down easily the biggest club in League Two and two months later join one of the smallest.

I didn’t know we’d actually offered him the job, he could have gone to Bradford as well…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 102
RonMariner
March 13, 2024, 10:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,725
Gold Stars: 226
The turnaround is remarkable.  A few weeks ago I was resigned to relegation.  We have a keeper that let every shot on target in. Defenders with not a clue how to defend. Midfielders who couldn't pass the ball, track back or make a tackle. The one bright light was Danny Rose, but he obviously couldn't do it all on his own.

Now we seem to have a system that the players are comfortable with. We have seen some impressive performances from Cartwright. We look solid at the back. The midfield are working hard and we seem to have more options up front. We now look like a team capable of picking up points home or away.

38 points is a good platform to push on from. We are not safe yet, but look more than capable of staying up.  

I would not back against us getting at least a point at Gillingham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 102
Heisenberg
March 13, 2024, 10:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,073
Gold Stars: 93
Have you seen Artell’s post match interview? I think it’s great. He praises the fans, big time, but he also shows his frustration at MK getting no bookings - he says “but I’m not gonna talk about referees”, then a few moments later he says something that will get him in trouble - “Sutton didn’t have a shot on target the other day until some idiot gave them a penalty!!!”. Great stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 102
HerveJosse
March 14, 2024, 8:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
The tactical flexibility is a revelation compared to PH days. Still think we need an upgrade in a number of players but at least now we should have the opportunity to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 102
GrimPol
March 14, 2024, 9:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from pontoonlew

He wasn’t saying things that weren’t true though IMO. He said the data suggested that we shouldn’t have been on the receiving end of those results, watching those games I agreed with him, Walsall in particular was bizarre how we managed to concede 6 goals.

We’ve now got what we deserved from most of our games and only really had one slice of bad luck (Sutton). Before that we’d have something ridiculous happen every single game, I think the upturn has been a mixture of shoring up the defence and finally having the rub of the green in big moments. On top of that, his signings have finally started to bed in, it’s been a long time since we’ve made multiple January signings where they’ve all made a positive impact. Smith is the only one who there are question mark on but that’s more him being a victim of the new system. Artell deserves massive credit for those signings, especially after most completely wrote them off within a week.

Besides, you called him ‘Dopey Dave’, I’d put that in the ridiculous category.

When PH was sacked, and interim manager/coaches were in, and what we then needed is someone who hit the ground running fast as we were sinking and fast. A one one-team only and 18 months out of the game person might have been a smaller gamble if hired in the preseason, it was a much bigger gamble in the situation that was. What we needed was a Manager/Coach who had some history and not someone learning on the job. We are his second club only in managerial terms, and anyone who has changed jobs knows that running a second,  third, or  fourth group gets easier as you leave mistakes and problems behind.
DA instead of just steadying the ship and making sure we didn't ship goals (yes boring draws) misread the technical capabilities of his new team, implemented a system which was misunderstood, anyway all players needed to buy into and more to the point, understand their specific roll in it for it to work. The obvious backfire brought things to a head, with improvements.  But it's a pity that the "new improved gritty" Mariners didn't happen in January, as we are now inundated with posts about how many points per game we will get, or if 45 pts is safety or not, or in other words we are hoping FGR or Colchester will do us a favour and go down instead of us.
I happen to like DA, and I believe he'll grow into the job, but I'm not sure how many bridges he's burnt with the fans and the team, however, I do hope he will survive for the 24-25 season in (definitely) League 1. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 102
LocalLadGTFC
March 14, 2024, 10:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GrimPol

When PH was sacked, and interim manager/coaches were in, and what we then needed is someone who hit the ground running fast as we were sinking and fast. A one one-team only and 18 months out of the game person might have been a smaller gamble if hired in the preseason, it was a much bigger gamble in the situation that was. What we needed was a Manager/Coach who had some history and not someone learning on the job. We are his second club only in managerial terms, and anyone who has changed jobs knows that running a second,  third, or  fourth group gets easier as you leave mistakes and problems behind.
DA instead of just steadying the ship and making sure we didn't ship goals (yes boring draws) misread the technical capabilities of his new team, implemented a system which was misunderstood, anyway all players needed to buy into and more to the point, understand their specific roll in it for it to work. The obvious backfire brought things to a head, with improvements.  But it's a pity that the "new improved gritty" Mariners didn't happen in January, as we are now inundated with posts about how many points per game we will get, or if 45 pts is safety or not, or in other words we are hoping FGR or Colchester will do us a favour and go down instead of us.
I happen to like DA, and I believe he'll grow into the job, but I'm not sure how many bridges he's burnt with the fans and the team, however, I do hope he will survive for the 24-25 season in (definitely) League 1. UTM

Sutton away after the game was met with David Artells black and white army being chanted by the whole away end, same story at MK Dons. I think he's very much won most fans back over with the switch in approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 85 - 102
Maringer
March 14, 2024, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
A bit it harsh to say Cartwright was 'letting' every shot in. He didn't have a chance with most of them and that's down to the failings of the outfield players.

Biggest improvement is down to the change in personnel and formation at the back, plus the introduction of Thompson. Obikwu beginning to find his feet as well, of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 102
SheepGTFC
March 14, 2024, 10:59am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +280
Gold Stars: 6
Many others have already said so, but just wanted to apologise to Mr Artell for calling for the boot after the Donny game. Fair play to Jason and Andrew for keeping level heads and sticking with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 102
AncientExiledMariner
March 14, 2024, 1:10pm
Snakebite drinker
I wonder how many of the folk in here who've had to change their minds would reflect on making their minds up too quick and give players or managers a bit more time in future.

DA lost Conteh (didn't have a choice), inherited a pretty poor team, and had to make FB, CB changes, and pull in a new DM. About 3 games later, those players and DA were written off.

People written off this season that are now "not as bad as thought":

Pyke
Obikwu
Vernam
Hume
Tharme (apparently no better than what we had)
DA

Everyone is human, and everyone learns when things go to excrement. We need to start giving people the room to mess up, learn and come back stronger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 102
GrimPol
March 14, 2024, 2:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I wonder how many of the folk in here who've had to change their minds would reflect on making their minds up too quick and give players or managers a bit more time in future.

DA lost Conteh (didn't have a choice), inherited a pretty poor team, and had to make FB, CB changes, and pull in a new DM. About 3 games later, those players and DA were written off.

Pyke
Obikwu
Vernham
Hume
DA

Everyone is human, and everyone learns when things go to excrement. We need to start giving people the room to mess up, learn and come back stronger.

Fair points, but as soon as we get thrashed, it will start up again. But I do hate the nasty bits.

Regarding Obikwu:- He's quite good actually. He tends to lollop around languidly and then pounces. But I do wish he was taken aside and taught the offside rule. Yeah I'm impressed by him, hope he starts more often. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 102
mariner91
March 14, 2024, 2:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,664
Gold Stars: 262

Pyke
Obikwu
Vernham
Hume
DA

Let's not rewrite history. Conteh was present for two of the home games where we conceded 5 or more goals so it wasn't a problem that was thrust upon Artell with him being blameless. The shape of the team was all over the place, performances had been getting worse quite quickly other than a win over an abysmal Salford and he was trying to make them play a way that they weren't capable of or comfortable doing. That he persisted in attempting to play that way for so long was madness and I would think the owners did have serious considerations about sacking him.

Credit where it's due in that he's shored us up to look incredibly difficult to break down and Obikwu, Hume, Tharme and Thompson have all really added something to the side. A 4 in 6 hit rate of signings is great and I hope he can replicate that in the summer if we stay up. I think we will stay up now and I don't think I've ever seen a team go from looking completely lost to looking so resilient in such a short space of time which suggests that Artell is good at implementing a game plan with a team, it just has to be the right plan for the players he's got. Not just stubbornly sticking to his "philosophy" regardless of playing personnel.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 102
forza ivano
March 14, 2024, 4:36pm

Exile
Quoted from mariner91

Let's not rewrite history. Conteh was present for two of the home games where we conceded 5 or more goals so it wasn't a problem that was thrust upon Artell with him being blameless. The shape of the team was all over the place, performances had been getting worse quite quickly other than a win over an abysmal Salford and he was trying to make them play a way that they weren't capable of or comfortable doing. That he persisted in attempting to play that way for so long was madness and I would think the owners did have serious considerations about sacking him.

Credit where it's due in that he's shored us up to look incredibly difficult to break down and Obikwu, Hume, Tharme and Thompson have all really added something to the side. A 4 in 6 hit rate of signings is great and I hope he can replicate that in the summer if we stay up. I think we will stay up now and I don't think I've ever seen a team go from looking completely lost to looking so resilient in such a short space of time which suggests that Artell is good at implementing a game plan with a team, it just has to be the right plan for the players he's got. Not just stubbornly sticking to his "philosophy" regardless of playing personnel.  

my thoughts exactly . great post
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 102
rancido
March 14, 2024, 4:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

To be fair to DA he did say that he wished the players and coaching staff had raised their concerns " 4 or 5 weeks earlier". If they had then maybe we wouldn't have had some of the trouncings we had, especially the Doncaster debacle.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 102
toontown
March 14, 2024, 4:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

To be fair to DA he did say that he wished the players and coaching staff had raised their concerns " 4 or 5 weeks earlier". If they had then maybe we wouldn't have had some of the trouncings we had, especially the Doncaster debacle.

And to be fair to the players Artell was bawling at Maher and Cartwright that I know of on two separate occasions when they resisted his instructions to play out from the back EVERY time regardless. Perhaps them not following his detrimental instructions to the letter was them very much raising 'concerns' at being slaughtered every week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 102
louth_in_the_south
March 14, 2024, 5:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Er he’s the fooking manager !! The clues in the title DA ….

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 102
GrimPol
March 14, 2024, 5:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Was it their call to make? The team should always back the manager/coach, and play his way wherever possible, but Doncaster must have been a last straw for them to voice concern. Speak too early and the team spirit could fracture, speak too late and the team could be in real deep trouble. A hard call.
So it's a good thing that there is a vociferous fan base which in the final analysis is only beholden to the good of the club, not the Team personnel, Manager or Owners.
Players, Managers, and Owners are transient, Fans are eternal.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 102
rancido
March 14, 2024, 5:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Was it their call to make? The team should always back the manager/coach, and play his way wherever possible, but Doncaster must have been a last straw for them to voice concern. Speak too early and the team spirit could fracture, speak too late and the team could be in real deep trouble. A hard call.
So it's a good thing that there is a vociferous fan base which in the final analysis is only beholden to the good of the club, not the Team personnel, Manager or Owners.
Players, Managers, and Owners are transient, Fans are eternal.  UTM

In my working career if I had concerns about my tasks and how to implement them then I would raise it with my line manager/supervisor/ foreman.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 102
AncientExiledMariner
March 14, 2024, 6:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from toontown

And to be fair to the players Artell was bawling at Maher and Cartwright that I know of on two separate occasions when they resisted his instructions to play out from the back EVERY time regardless. Perhaps them not following his detrimental instructions to the letter was them very much raising 'concerns' at being slaughtered every week.

To be fully fair, that goal where we conceded due to a poor pass from Cartwright was caused by Maher refusing the ball in acres of space after the right got blocked up and Rodgers went back to keeper to cycle it to the left. As a professional footballer in a team trying to pass it's way out of situations, it was horrific decision making to make no effort to be ready. He sold Cartwright down the river. That and another time when Maher was caught in acres of space up front when we conceded from a quick free quick as the ball went straight down the middle, there is likely a reason why Maher isn't in the team right now. Fortunately Tharme, a resurgent Mullarkey (who has proven me wrong), and Rodgers have given DA the opportunity to take Maher out of it. Seems since then, Cartwright's confidence has improved quite a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 102
toontown
March 14, 2024, 7:19pm
Whiskey Drinker

To be fully fair, that goal where we conceded due to a poor pass from Cartwright was caused by Maher refusing the ball in acres of space after the right got blocked up and Rodgers went back to keeper to cycle it to the left. As a professional footballer in a team trying to pass it's way out of situations, it was horrific decision making to make no effort to be ready. He sold Cartwright down the river. That and another time when Maher was caught in acres of space up front when we conceded from a quick free quick as the ball went straight down the middle, there is likely a reason why Maher isn't in the team right now. Fortunately Tharme, a resurgent Mullarkey (who has proven me wrong), and Rodgers have given DA the opportunity to take Maher out of it. Seems since then, Cartwright's confidence has improved quite a bit.

That was absolutely not the incident I was referring to.

It was an occasion when Maher knocked the ball down the line instead of passing it about deep inside his own half. In other words he did exactly what we are doing now that is proving so much more successful than pratting about with it on the edge of our own 6 yard box. Artell went nuts at him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 102
GrimPol
March 14, 2024, 7:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

In my working career if I had concerns about my tasks and how to implement them then I would raise it with my line manager/supervisor/ foreman.

I should think football teams are less "democratic" and more "military" in their make-up and running. Heck, they still call their Manager Gaffer. 1950's or what?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 102
AncientExiledMariner
March 14, 2024, 7:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from toontown

That was absolutely not the incident I was referring to.

It was an occasion when Maher knocked the ball down the line instead of passing it about deep inside his own half. In other words he did exactly what we are doing now that is proving so much more successful than pratting about with it on the edge of our own 6 yard box. Artell went nuts at him.

This was before the change of style, I'm guessing.

When you ask folk to do something as a manager, and they pick and choose when they follow instructions or not, it doesn't set a good precedence. For example, if you ask people to come in on time, and 2 keep rocking in late, you ignore it, and everyone else starts doing it. To play passing football, you need people to build keep doing that so it becomes habit.

We are likely going to revisit this style either when safe or next season after the transfer window, and it's going to need players to stick with it. You hoof it, lose it, and you're pinned right back, so it isn't always great from a defensive point of view, neither. Even if you mix it up, if there is a short option to an astute midfielder, and it is the correct option, it should be taken. You do need to make the best of options when you have the ball, and especially if its covered regularly in training, and players don't follow it, it isn't a good thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 102
toontown
March 14, 2024, 8:40pm
Whiskey Drinker

This was before the change of style, I'm guessing.

When you ask folk to do something as a manager, and they pick and choose when they follow instructions or not, it doesn't set a good precedence. For example, if you ask people to come in on time, and 2 keep rocking in late, you ignore it, and everyone else starts doing it. To play passing football, you need people to build keep doing that so it becomes habit.

We are likely going to revisit this style either when safe or next season after the transfer window, and it's going to need players to stick with it. You hoof it, lose it, and you're pinned right back, so it isn't always great from a defensive point of view, neither. Even if you mix it up, if there is a short option to an astute midfielder, and it is the correct option, it should be taken. You do need to make the best of options when you have the ball, and especially if its covered regularly in training, and players don't follow it, it isn't a good thing.

Of course, but you also need to have players able to play that way, and recognise that if you don't such a course of action when in a relegation battle (whether you admit you are in one or not) is likely to be terminal. Artell didn't recognise those things and carried on regardless of the players being unable to play that style. Eventually resulting in the 5-1 demolition by fellow relegation candidates and him staring the sack in the face, the change of style was forced on him by the combination of his weakening position as manager due to results/league position and pressure from players/owners/fans.

I agree we are likely to revisit his style assuming we stay up, as the current method of playing that has improved us is not actually his choice. I am just hoping he has learned to be a bit more adaptable and his style in future is a bit more multi faceted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 102
It Bites
March 15, 2024, 9:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
One thing I will say and it’s a massive plus in Artells favour

We look loads better playing the pragmatic approach than we did under Hurst
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 102
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell deserves credit

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.