11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 13, 2024, 8:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
I suspect Artell is initially overestimated the quality of the squad and therefore kept expecting the corner to be turned when he was telling them to play a more expansive game. Unfortunately, we're much, much too limited in midfield as well as lacking in pace to be able to play in that manner. BFS showed last night the level required to play through midfield (and they will have paid a lot of money for that) and even they were unable to do much against our committed defensive performance.

I'm pleased that Artell took a more pragmatic approach - eventually! Could and should have taken stock a few games earlier into that terrible home run, I think.

On the assumption that we can battle our way to safety, I think there are a good few players who won't be here next season as they simply aren't capable enough with the ball at their feet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 102
GibMariner
March 13, 2024, 8:09am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
All is good then. Onwards and upwards

UTMM
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 102
grimps
March 13, 2024, 8:11am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Brummie Codfather
Totally agree, really impressed on how he’s switched it up to protect our weaknesses.  I won’t hide from loving Paul Hurst as our manager but I saw tonight a huge difference:

There were time where Hurst, amazing (usually) at building a squad would wait far too long to change a problem we all saw - sometimes to our detriment.  Tonight, Artell spotted how deep our wingers had gotten early, swapped them both  despite Gnahoua’s good showing, and that change helped us get it over the line.

I know this is probably not his style but Artell has shown willingness to compromise his vision & game plan to get a result & I can’t fault that.

Hursts problem was his stubbornness,he'd still be here if had the ability to chnage things around a bit.
Every other manager in the league knew how he's play and even what time's his subs would come on.
If we was 1-0 up we'd see a defender come on in the 75th minute, if we was 3-0 down when see a striker come on in the 85th minute.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 102
ROKERITE
March 13, 2024, 8:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
I got an absolute roasting on here when 90% wanted him gone and only 2 or 3 were bold enough to say we should stick with him. I'd seen enough to know he could get the team playing, and with an active transfer window players needed to get in and work their way into form. Not many hit the ground running.

Ultimately, change is not a quick process, and making your mind up quickly on players or managers in football often shows that the social media fire after 3 games approach is just not based in any reality. It's expensive and wasteful.

Good job, DA.

Indeed you did. Football fans at every club make their minds up so quickly these days. Many of the greatest managers in history might never have had the careers they did if owners had judged them after a few months.

Whether David Artell will bring success remains to be seen. But the vitriol thrown at him after such a short time was ridiculous however dreadful some of the results had been.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 102
grimps
March 13, 2024, 9:15am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from ROKERITE

Indeed you did. Football fans at every club make their minds up so quickly these days. Many of the greatest managers in history might never have had the careers they did if owners had judged them after a few months.

Whether David Artell will bring success remains to be seen. But the vitriol thrown at him after such a short time was ridiculous however dreadful some of the results had been.

This is true but not many mangers could have survived getting walloped 5-6 at home every week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 13, 2024, 9:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from ROKERITE

Didn’t Michael Beale get some in his first game at Sunderland? He was hardly backed by the fans and performances and results were nowhere as bad as Towns. Most football fans are the same and I honestly believe that the criticism was more vitriolic as we have gone out the league twice in recent memory and those results in January suggested strongly that we were on for a hat trick.

Still not safe but things look much better thankfully.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 102
Mikey_345
March 13, 2024, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from promotion plaice

Massive 3 points tonight.

Artell seems to have finally turned things around, we might just escape relegation the way it's going.

He's taken plenty of stick on here so credit where its due.

Absolutely, really happy to stick my hand up and say I got this one wrong.

Something obviously did need to change after that run, ending with the Donny defeat. I suppose most of us thought it'd have to be the manager as rarely do you get such a tactical and style change like we've had any other way.

Full credit to him and the rest of the staff  - they've identified the issue, changed course and done so by instilling some real backbone and confidence into the team. That meeting with the players and subsequently between the staff looks to have been a real positive event. The players also have been absolute mountains defensively the last few games, hardly believable it's the same group.

Artell has been big enough to see the problems, understand them, accept them and change it. That's something that's very easy for someone to say online but is never easy to do in real life. So he deserves huge huge credit for that - it's admitting you're wrong in an industry that isn't particularly conducive to that - the bloke clearly does now what he's doing.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 102
rancido
March 13, 2024, 9:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Maringer
I suspect Artell is initially overestimated the quality of the squad and therefore kept expecting the corner to be turned when he was telling them to play a more expansive game. Unfortunately, we're much, much too limited in midfield as well as lacking in pace to be able to play in that manner. BFS showed last night the level required to play through midfield (and they will have paid a lot of money for that) and even they were unable to do much against our committed defensive performance.

I'm pleased that Artell took a more pragmatic approach - eventually! Could and should have taken stock a few games earlier into that terrible home run, I think.

On the assumption that we can battle our way to safety, I think there are a good few players who won't be here next season as they simply aren't capable enough with the ball at their feet.

When DA took over he said our previous performances were a bit " meh". He then said, after his first training session with the squad , that he was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the players. I think that was his basis behind his statement that we wouldn't get relegated. As a consequence I think he thought that, with his style of playing, he could transfer that training ground quality into match performances. Sadly he couldn't, hence the poor performances and shipping loads of goals. The " clear the air meeting" obviously raised issues and concerns by the players/ coaching staff which lead to DA  changing the playing format and style. The key thing, to me anyway, is that DA said that he wished the players/staff had spoken up " 4 or 5 weeks" previous. Maybe if they had then it's possible that the change in playing style could have been implemented sooner, although that is something we will never know. He is still a relatively inexperienced manager with only one club under his belt and that club , Crewe, had a playing style deeply imprinted in it's DNA. DA had achieved a promotion playing that way so it was only natural that he would see that as the route to success. The fact that he has changed demonstrates that he is adaptable, not stubborn or set in his ways and willing to take on new approaches to gain success.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 102
Mappers
March 13, 2024, 9:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Artell got it wrong
The fans got it wrong
Call it a draw
Onwards & upwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 102
Northbank Mariner
March 13, 2024, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
I honestly think they all sat n watched "all town aren't we" in that dressing room after the Donny game.

We will never be privy to the conversation but the players, staff and managers look like they've had the weight of the world taken off their shoulders.

Fair play to Artell for having the bollox to admit he was wrong (he said to JT he tried to change too much, too quick) and listen to all voices because its not only changed our style of play, results and confidence but you can see the improved unity right through the club, even down to us fans/supporters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell deserves credit

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.