Mikey_345
March 13, 2024, 9:55am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I honestly think they all sat n watched "all town aren't we" in that dressing room after the Donny game.

Listening to Gav's interview this week, other than the how they're playing question it seems he made quite a point about what it took to get out of the NL and what it means to the town and club. Watching that Doc again, like i did when it came out on Amazon would have been a great idea though!

Bumped into Danny Rose very briefly after Wimbledon, was interesting that a point he was very keen to make was how everyone is playing for each other, the club and the Town now - seems some real togetherness and fight came from that chat and the week after. I'm not saying that the opposite was true before, all players try, but I think there may have been a collective penny drop moment..

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 102
Mayaman
March 13, 2024, 10:12am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
What I'd give for DA to be my gaffer right now.  The place is crumbling (metaphorically and literally).  If the management don't change what they are doing, we won't have a school next year.   He deserves credit.  I didn't think he would.  I assumed he was too stubborn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 102
neverapen
March 13, 2024, 10:19am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mappers
Artell got it wrong
The fans got it wrong
Call it a draw
Onwards & upwards

This. Feel like we're now all friends again and in a good place.

Pretty sure I also saw DA clapping along with the fans at one point during the match last night. Worlds apart from a few weeks ago when he was having season tickets chucked at him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 102
friskneymariner
March 13, 2024, 10:57am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,154
Gold Stars: 38
I think the fans deserve a little credit,as much as Artell moaned about the abuse for playing out from the back,but it must have played some part in influencing him to change the style of play.Perhaps we know more about football than we are given credit for.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 102
forza ivano
March 13, 2024, 10:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
I wonder whether the dressing room 'meeting' after Donny brought the players together; wouldn't be the first meeting where people in the room suddenly realised that they were all thinking the same thing but just hadn't said it out loud.

I will reserve judgement on Artell for a little while (if you don't mind!) , coz I'm still not convinced he won't just revert to type if and when we become safe.

As someone said , if he can mix Hurstball with his way of playing we might be on to something; he'd be really stupid to ditch this defensive solidity, discipline and confidence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 102
A Brace Of Tees
March 13, 2024, 11:07am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
The 'clear the air' meetings following the Doncaster debacle have clearly had a huge impact, and credit to Artell for listening to the players and realising he was making a huge fu*k up of things.

Pointlessly tapping the ball backwards and forwards around our 18 yard box was dangerously cavalier, led to a hatful of goals conceded and sapped the players' confidence.

Since the players offered their own tactical ideas, we have returned to a more pragmatic, Hurst-like style of play which has turned our fortunes around. Cartwright in particular has been transformed by this change and looks a very promising goalkeeper.

If we are fortunate enough to escape relegation then I'd be happy for Artell to introduce his 'ideas', but until then we need to keep things risk-free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 102
Rodley Mariner
March 13, 2024, 11:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
I think what's been done was absolutely right in the circumstances and will hopefully help us grind our way to safety. I hope we'll be looking to play a bit more progressively next season though with some more technical ability recruited and find a middle ground with our approach. I enjoyed last night and am delighted with the result but I wouldn't want to see us have 21% of possession on a regular basis.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 102
devs
March 13, 2024, 11:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Huge amount of praise must go to all of those who wanted Artell out after a few games
And are now changing their minds
What a decent group of chaps you are
Well done...

It takes a lot of guts to hide behind social media and slag someone off mercilessly then when things look a bit better to come out in favour...

Just keep commenting hour by hour - game by game - that's the way to build something..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 102
BrMarin
March 13, 2024, 11:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Mappers
Artell got it wrong
The fans got it wrong
Call it a draw
Onwards & upwards

Don't think the fans got it wrong. The fans booed playing out from the back, the tactics changed and we improved. So the fans were right.

Artell is basically doing what Ben and Shaun would have done. So if he was sacked results would likely have improved anyway. So those who wanted him sacked also weren't wrong.

I agree personal abuse is unacceptable though

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 102
A Brace Of Tees
March 13, 2024, 11:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from devs
Huge amount of praise must go to all of those who wanted Artell out after a few games
And are now changing their minds
What a decent group of chaps you are
Well done...

It takes a lot of guts to hide behind social media and slag someone off mercilessly then when things look a bit better to come out in favour...

Just keep commenting hour by hour - game by game - that's the way to build something..

I wouldn't say everyone's suddenly in favour, because it was clear to all that Artell's tactics were hopelessly misguided. I am pleased he's recognised this and taken on board the views of players and staff who seem to have had more of a grasp on reality than he did.

Long may it continue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell deserves credit

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.