Reply: 10 - 102
Brummie Codfather
March 12, 2024, 10:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 21
Totally agree, really impressed on how he’s switched it up to protect our weaknesses.  I won’t hide from loving Paul Hurst as our manager but I saw tonight a huge difference:

There were time where Hurst, amazing (usually) at building a squad would wait far too long to change a problem we all saw - sometimes to our detriment.  Tonight, Artell spotted how deep our wingers had gotten early, swapped them both  despite Gnahoua’s good showing, and that change helped us get it over the line.

I know this is probably not his style but Artell has shown willingness to compromise his vision & game plan to get a result & I can’t fault that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 102
pontoonlew
March 12, 2024, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,035
Gold Stars: 176
The levels of abuse he got in the weeks he was clearly getting to grips with things was ridiculous. He’s shown himself to be a very tactical astute manager over the past 5 games, we seem to be easing our way into playing a bit of football again at times as well.

I’d say the signs are positive for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 102
dapperz fun pub
March 12, 2024, 10:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,939
Gold Stars: 82
Once he realised trying to play ourselves out of trouble wasn’t going to work we had a chance plus the centre back pairing seems to have jelled which helps things no end. Still plenty to do but the moods changed for the better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 102
Blundellite
March 12, 2024, 10:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Great result town ⚽⚽🥳🥳🥳
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 102
Poojah
March 12, 2024, 10:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
I was pretty strident in my view that Artell should have gone after Donny. Look, I think it’s important to be able to put your hands up and admit when you were wrong about something, but there was no shortage of circumstantial evidence that something was seriously amiss. 21 goals conceded in 6 games is a crazy stat, especially when 1 of those results was a clean sheet.

My view at the time was simply that Artell was tactically bonkers, and that the players were devoid of confidence in the manager. The systematic approach and body language in those Stockport and Doncaster games appeared to speak volumes.

But the turnaround since is nothing short of remarkable. To go from conceding 21 in 6, to just 2 in 5 (when one of them was a penalty that should never have been given) is even more mental than the original stat. It’s just not something you see in football.

But neither can be fluke. If Artell deserved criticism for that terrible run - and he did, then he deserves huge credit for what’s transpired since. He’s shown tactical chops I didn’t think he had. Tonight, in particular, was a tactical masterclass.

79% possession sounds like an absolute skullfúcking. But for all that possession (and precisely 500 more passes according to the Sky stats) they managed 1 less shot in total than Town, 2 fewer on target and 0 chances of note. Meanwhile we’ve scored a goal, missed a penalty, had a good penalty shout denied and then, in the same passage of play, hit the inside of the post. I genuinely can’t remember the save Cartwright apparently made tonight.

A lot of credit has to go to the players, too, who certainly appear to be playing for the manager. They’ve shown a lot of grit this past 2 or 3 weeks - grit I think many people, myself included, didn’t think they had.

Still work to be done. Forest Green are showing they aren’t going away, and I don’t think we can afford to completely forget that wretched run at the beginning of the year until we are safe, but the signs are magnitudes more positive than I ever could have believed they might have been under Artell just a few weeks ago.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 102
Maringer
March 12, 2024, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Their only chance was one which Tharme cleared at the back post, ball was goalbound and he was in the right place to shin it away.

Good battling once again, but it was frustrating how many counter-attacks we butchered ourselves. Several chances to increase the lead and we weren't able to work it intelligently enough to even get a shot on goal.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 102
Poojah
March 12, 2024, 10:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Maringer
Their only chance was one which Tharme cleared at the back post, ball was goalbound and he was in the right place to shin it away.

Good battling once again, but it was frustrating how many counter-attacks we butchered ourselves. Several chances to increase the lead and we weren't able to work it intelligently enough to even get a shot on goal.

Which explains why I don’t remember Cartwright making a save - he didn’t. Tells a story.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 102
Hagrid
March 12, 2024, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,420
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from pontoonlew
The levels of abuse he got in the weeks he was clearly getting to grips with things was ridiculous. He’s shown himself to be a very tactical astute manager over the past 5 games, we seem to be easing our way into playing a bit of football again at times as well.

I’d say the signs are positive for next season.

Im not trying to be difficult here, but it really wasnt ridiculous.

We were getting absolutely humiliated and he was steadfast point blank telling us things that were simply not true. We conceded 5 goals in 3 of our first 5 games of the year. “Lost 5-1. Lost 6-1. And then came out saying we’d played well. I know you love trying to be right, but its not remotely true to say that the abuse/ judgement he was getting was ridiculous

Good on him for changing style, and he’s done it well, not knocking him and he deserves credit for that, I still say he was forced to change as opposed to wanting to change however.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 102
toontown
March 12, 2024, 10:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Hagrid

Im not trying to be difficult here, but it really wasnt ridiculous.

We were getting absolutely humiliated and he was steadfast point blank telling us things that were simply not true. We conceded 5 goals in 3 of our first 5 games of the year. “Lost 5-1. Lost 6-1. And then came out saying we’d played well. I know you love trying to be right, but its not remotely true to say that the abuse/ judgement he was getting was ridiculous

Good on him for changing style, and he’s done it well, not knocking him and he deserves credit for that, I still say he was forced to change as opposed to wanting to change however.

Totally. And hopefully games like this were we've had a game plan to dig in and hit on the counter is literally showing him before his eyes that possession and pointless possession between CBs in your own half in particular, is not in itself a good display.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell deserves credit

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.