It Bites
March 9, 2024, 6:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,200
Gold Stars: 265
From the kitchen With a pint in hand

Should of been out of sight . Sutton were there for the taking . Our subs seemed late to me but that’s not why we drew .
The ref and the linesman …….. The Lino had a stinker and he knew it . He let the ref get in his head and he lost it . The off side he didn’t give was embarrassing beyond belief. The free kick he wanted to give us in the first half was equally embarrassing.  The penalty spot ? I don’t know but the ref needs to spot the foul at the very least .
But we should of been 3-0 by this point .
Private Message
chaos33
March 9, 2024, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
It’s a f*cking disgrace and I’m fuming. This could be decisive. I’ve watched the highlights several times. Zoomed in. There is no offence anywhere. None. Apparently the linesman sees one and the ref lets him give a penalty! It’s either total and abject incompetence or f**king cheating, and either way, it’s a total debacle.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 63
Chrisblor
March 9, 2024, 7:05pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,849
Gold Stars: 235
The best evidence Sutton seem to be able to produce for the penalty is this still image showing the ball brushing Rose's arm (in a natural position), which is irrelevant anyway because IFAB guidance stipulates officials should NOT blow for a foul if you head the ball onto your own arm:

Tweet 1766523133979152862 will appear here...

So basically if you ignore the blatant rugby tackle by their no.9 on Tharme, and completely disregard the current guidance on what constitutes a handball, then yeah sure it's a penalty. That linesman, what a complete dipshit.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 63
Son of Cod
March 9, 2024, 7:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
It's quite clearly a case of the lino's ego being bashed having been overruled by the ref earlier in the match. Shocking stuff in a relegation match. All the focus in Artell's interview is about whether or not it was a handball but without having seen the incident back in full...is the real question not about why the ref's decision has been overruled? Whether it is or isn't a handball is irrelevant if there's a foul on a Town player. So unless I'm missing something, the lino has called the ref over and said that a) there was no foul and that the decision the ref initially blew for was incorrect and b) it was a handball.

I feel for the players here, as plenty are gonna be saying we should have been out of sight. And while that's perhaps a valid point...they're in a L2 relegation scrap and they've just gone about 270 mins without conceding a goal and have ran their absolute arses into the ground for the third match on the bounce, with back to back aways down in London. Yes, they didn't show the clinical edge you'd expect from a side higher up the table but they were about to win that match and without a shocking decision we're sat here with 7 points out of the last 9. We all feel robbed as fans but the players must be feeling that right now too as they've shown over the last three matches that they're bang up for a scrap so in my opinion deserve a lot of credit.

Great following that for the second time in a week felt bigger than the numbers due to sheer noise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 63
pontoonlew
March 9, 2024, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,038
Gold Stars: 177
Hard to make any comment on the game because I’m that seething about the decision.

We looked better than we have in the past 3 games and fully deserved to win, a couple of better finishes/decisions and we win that at a canter. The gap has closed but I still firmly believe we’ll be absolutely fine and in plenty of time before the end of the season.

If you’d offered 5 points from the last 3 games last week you’d have gladly taken it, but it so desperately should’ve been 7.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 63
It Bites
March 9, 2024, 7:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,200
Quoted from pontoonlew
Hard to make any comment on the game because I’m that seething about the decision.

We looked better than we have in the past 3 games and fully deserved to win, a couple of better finishes/decisions and we win that at a canter. The gap has closed but I still firmly believe we’ll be absolutely fine and in plenty of time before the end of the season.

If you’d offered 5 points from the last 3 games last week you’d have gladly taken it, but it so desperately should’ve been 7.

Yeah I’d of taken 5 points gladly .
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 63
arryarryarry
March 9, 2024, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Chrisblor
The best evidence Sutton seem to be able to produce for the penalty is this still image showing the ball brushing Rose's arm (in a natural position), which is irrelevant anyway because IFAB guidance stipulates officials should NOT blow for a foul if you head the ball onto your own arm:

Tweet 1766523133979152862 will appear here...

So basically if you ignore the blatant rugby tackle by their no.9 on Tharme, and completely disregard the current guidance on what constitutes a handball, then yeah sure it's a penalty. That linesman, what a complete dipshit.

https://www.skysports.com/foot.....eague-two-highlights

As I posted on the match thread, Tharme had his arms all around their no.9 so both were fouling.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 63
louth_in_the_south
March 9, 2024, 7:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 96
We can blame the ref and Lino all we want ( it was a disgrace of a decision to award the pen ) but that game should’ve been over way before that . We had pretty much all the game apart from a couple of scrambles in our box , and all the clear cut chances. Poor finishing cost us , end of .
Good performances from our back 3 , looked confident all game and a massive improvement on the last 15 games playing this formation.
Midfield.. not sure of any of them . We know what we get from green. Always 💯 effort. Holahan ,, ok game but some pretty poor set pieces. New man Thompson … jury’s out on him . Could be an asset with better players around him but with what we’ve got not really for me . Looked pretty average if I’m honest.
The big plus point for me was Obikwo who looked a player today and was a constant threat to the Sutton defence. Looked more confident in what he was doing , whether he was looking to get in behind or play a ball through. Would be happy for him to come on loan next season. We were less of a threat once he went off .
All in all 2 important points dropped which is a shame in our current plight . Think we’ll scrape safety but it’ll need a few more positive results and not losing to Colchester.
At least I’m not slagging DA off tonight. Not his fault today.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 63
louth_in_the_south
March 9, 2024, 7:30pm

Exile
And have to add all the players ran their hearts out so massive credit to them today

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 63
Chrisblor
March 9, 2024, 7:36pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,849
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from arryarryarry

As I posted on the match thread, Tharme had his arms all around their no.9 so both were fouling.

Tharme has his hand on the Sutton number 9's back. He does not at any point grab him around the waist and attempt to maneuver him:

If both players have their hands on each other and then one of them throws the other to the ground it's the one who has thrown a player to the ground who has committed a foul.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 63
The Caterham Mariner
March 9, 2024, 7:43pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
And have to add all the players ran their hearts out so massive credit to them today

Indeed game for me on par with Wimbledon game
They had 3/ 4 big players with their No9 should have been at Twickenham

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 63
arryarryarry
March 9, 2024, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Chrisblor

Tharme has his hand on the Sutton number 9's back. He does not at any point grab him around the waist and attempt to maneuver him:

If both players have their hands on each other and then one of them throws the other to the ground it's the one who has thrown a player to the ground who has committed a foul.

We are the ones in red by the way. Tharme is in front of the no.9 but has his arm round his back so how did it get there if he didn't put his arm around him, it also looks like he is trying to get his other arm around his neck. This sort of fouling goes on in every game and refs rarely give a foul if both players are holding onto each other.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 63
Eastendmariner
March 9, 2024, 7:46pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Ref and Lino. Should be banned for life bringing  the game in to disrepute absolutely shocking penalty award  

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 63
louth_in_the_south
March 9, 2024, 8:04pm

Exile
TBF to the ref I didn’t think he did too bad a job . It’s a difficult task reffing a game in L2 when two teams are scrapping for their lives and kicking / smashing each other . However when you think that he over ruled the Lino for a free kick decision and then allowed himself to be coerced into a penalty decision and then in the final minutes let a blatant smash into Clifton ( I think ) and then blew final whistle when both on the deck you can’t really defend him .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 63
Maringer
March 9, 2024, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,524
Gold Stars: 185
Tharme was thrown to the ground going over the No. 9's leg. Like something from a Jackie Chan movie, let alone a football pitch. A pathetic piece of refereeing to somehow miss that when he was less than 10 yards from the incident and absolutely nobody in his eyerline to block his view. Got to take your chances but a dodgy penalty when your player is blatantly fouled is even more galling. I hope there was a referee's assessor there taking notes on the performances of the officials.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 63
HertsGTFC
March 9, 2024, 8:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,945
Gold Stars: 228
TBF to the ref I didn’t think he did too bad a job . It’s a difficult task reffing a game in L2 when two teams are scrapping for their lives and kicking / smashing each other . However when you think that he over ruled the Lino for a free kick decision and then allowed himself to be coerced into a penalty decision and then in the final minutes let a blatant smash into Clifton ( I think ) and then blew final whistle when both on the deck you can’t really defend him .

I qualified as a ref in egg chasing and the principal is the same, you give what you see. I’m not convinced the ref today knew enough about the pro game & rules & thus he failed to do that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 63
Yossarian
March 9, 2024, 9:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
I am not normally a member of the tin-foil-hat brigade, but goodness me that linesman was genuinely awful.  I've never seen a ref and a lino be so "in each other's face".  Weird.

Have to say, was some top quality "sushhing" from their player after he scored -

But why why why do fans (grown men) lose their mind so much that they want to try and climb over the fence and act like 11 year olds in a playground fight?  That was embarrasing at the end -

Red tick all you like, but there are middle-aged men acting like total retards in the stands.  At what point do people think that is even remotely in the boundaries of adult behaviour?  Pathetic.  Got to call this out when it happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 63
louth_in_the_south
March 9, 2024, 9:02pm

Exile
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I qualified as a ref in egg chasing and the principal is the same, you give what you see. I’m not convinced the ref today knew enough about the pro game & rules & thus he failed to do that.

Not totally disagreeing with you but if he’s got onto the league list he must have been assessed through the levels to gained the standard required to have become an EFL ref. He had a lot to deal with today in terms of physicality from both sides . I think he started to lose control after the penalty decision which he probably knew he’d messed up and just decided not to give another difficult decision and blew the final whistle.
He’s probably sitting at home mulling over his afternoon’s work with a glass of red thinking I’m going to be doing non league next season

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 63
Wedidntdidwe
March 9, 2024, 9:09pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +378
Gold Stars: 22
If he hadn't blown for offside it could have been even worse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 63
HertsGTFC
March 9, 2024, 9:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Not totally disagreeing with you but if he’s got onto the league list he must have been assessed through the levels to gained the standard required to have become an EFL ref. He had a lot to deal with today in terms of physicality from both sides . I think he started to lose control after the penalty decision which he probably knew he’d messed up and just decided not to give another difficult decision and blew the final whistle.
He’s probably sitting at home mulling over his afternoon’s work with a glass of red thinking I’m going to be doing non league next season

I think that’s a dead balanced view, good post 👍

Maybe he was a bit to focused on the “needs of his team” rather than officiating the game.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 63
Yossarian
March 9, 2024, 9:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Tough job for the ref.....   and I have to say despite Town being the best team that was some really dire football.  

Sutton really are one of the worst teams I've seen in years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 63
forza ivano
March 9, 2024, 9:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,187
apparently the lineo refused to shake the ref's hand at half time, having been overruled in the 1st half. Knowing that, there's no way the ref was going to overrule him for a second time when he flags for (?) handball.

Apart from that I thought they were poor and after missing those chances in the second half our group agree that it could well come back and bite us on the bum as it was obvious they would pile forward and create at least 1 good chance.
Thought the whole team put in a real shift, and unlike Tuesday didn't tire and were much better with their passing. 3 in defence were no nonsense solid and I thought the midfield were excellent. Clifton was all effort and his passing was much improved. green did Green what Green does (and did it well) , plus he actually made some decent passes. Holohan had 1 of his (too rare) good days, his crosses were superb, whipped in with pace and bend. I like the look of Hume - suspect he's this season's Emmanuel and will be gracing League 1 next season
I really don't unerstand the criticism of Thompson; he's a lesser version of Stacey Coldicott , and exactly what we need. He's got a lot of fight, bundles of nous and a fair amount of skill. He plugs the gaps and anticipates where problems are coming. Rose was his usual 9 out of 10 an Obikwu started to shine once he'd flicked in his goal.Shame he got injured, especially as Wilson was surprisingly ineffective as his replacement.

Those 2 points dropped could be very costly in 3-4 weeks time with our run of v. difficult games and FGR hitting a bit of form.

An battling, awful 0-0 on Tuesday would not be unwelcome!

PS Wonder if Tharme might end up being skipper next season - he's another of the type of player we've been missing
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 63
March 9, 2024, 9:55pm
Guest User
Just got back myself. Anyone else stuffed by the trains out of King’s Cross?
Reply: 22 - 63
Rodley Mariner
March 9, 2024, 9:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
I thought we were much the.better team. Their keeper was clearly motm for them which says it all. Truly dire decision that cost us two points. At best it's a complete guess that it's a penalty. A really bizarre officiating performance all round.

Two difficult games to come but I fancy us to pick up points in them. Amazing what a difference a week makes as at 2pm last Saturday I was struggling to see us winning a game ever again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 63
HarrogateMariner
March 9, 2024, 10:28pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Very good post match interview by Artell (Radio humberside one). Obviously fuming with the decision but measured as well and makes the very sensible point regarding amateur ref's in the football league. Plus my favourite Artell quote so far: 'the linesman must have the genetics of an owl'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 63
jamesgtfc
March 9, 2024, 10:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
Very good post match interview by Artell (Radio humberside one). Obviously fuming with the decision but measured as well and makes the very sensible point regarding amateur ref's in the football league. Plus my favourite Artell quote so far: 'the linesman must have the genetics of an owl'.

I liked the club interview where he said that the linesman would go back to being a milkman or a teacher on Monday and then return next Saturday to pretend to be a linesman again.

The interview was good, but I think he will get charged for his comments and potentially serve a touchline ban.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 63
Yossarian
March 9, 2024, 10:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Yeah I didn;t like his comments about milkmen and teacher.  Lacked class.  I understand his frustration but that was out of order... I hope he apologizes for that at some point.

The ref / lino situation is a tough one because the game needs them and needs good ones, but then I was looking at the amount of bile and pure hatred from the fans 3 yards away from them thinking "who the hell would put up with this each weekend?"

The greater the frothing hate, the least likely to get decent refs.

No idea what the answer is, apart from not being a frothing, rabid fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 63
AdamHaddock
March 9, 2024, 11:00pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
A missed opportunity today. Given the remaining fixtures, especially over the next three weeks, it's difficult to see where wins will come from.
Hopefully we'll continue to be draw specialists and that will be enough

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 63
toontown
March 10, 2024, 12:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Yossarian
Yeah I didn;t like his comments about milkmen and teacher.  Lacked class.  I understand his frustration but that was out of order... I hope he apologizes for that at some point.

The ref / lino situation is a tough one because the game needs them and needs good ones, but then I was looking at the amount of bile and pure hatred from the fans 3 yards away from them thinking "who the hell would put up with this each weekend?"

That's all well and good but those fans paid money to be there, whereas that lino was paid money to be there and do a job, and yet he was the one spitting his dummy and refusing to shake the hands of a work colleague just because he spotted an error of his. Something he is also paid to do. And because of that he has made something up in order to be a 'intercourse you' at said colleague.

Can't really complain when he gets complaints from said customers then can he
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 63
Yossarian
March 10, 2024, 12:38am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from toontown

That's all well and good but those fans paid money to be there, whereas that lino was paid money to be there and do a job, and yet he was the one spitting his dummy and refusing to shake the hands of a work colleague just because he spotted an error of his. Something he is also paid to do. And because of that he has made something up in order to be a 'intercourse you' at said colleague.

Can't really complain when he gets complaints from said customers then can he

You may pay money to go to a restaurant and eat a meal but it doesn't meal that if the waiter dropped a plate or the food was poor that you would stand on the table and start shouting at the person.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 63
conscorner
March 10, 2024, 12:47am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
I believe today's referee is fairly new to the EFL referees list - up until December 2023 he was refereeing at a high level in the USA MLS League.

I thought he got most decisions right but agree with other posters that the incident where he put the lino in his place for flagging incorrectly for a foul was bizarre

Perhaps that is something of an American trait ? Certainly the lino appeared to lose confidence when flagging decisions. He appeared to just follow the referees decisions, until the penalty incident.

The officials should work as a team and I think the ref lost this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
livosnose
March 10, 2024, 1:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,172
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Yossarian

I’m a teacher and i wish I was a milkman .. and don’t care ..

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
toontown
March 10, 2024, 1:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Yossarian

You may pay money to go to a restaurant and eat a meal but it doesn't meal that if the waiter dropped a plate or the food was poor that you would stand on the table and start shouting at the person.

I don't think they have reached refereeing at EFL level and believe that the money they receive is in return for expecting to be treated like they work in a restaurant to be honest. I am sure they have been to football matches before today! Although perhaps not given the quality of officiating.

They are human, theyve made mistakes from errors of judgment but that has been compounded massively from a clash of egos.

Suddenly expecting a football crowd of a league 2 relegation battle to magically transform into a middle class tennis crowd that shushes when told by the officials is not realistic though I am afraid. If the officials had been physically hurt I'd totally support you in saying that was out of order and the perpetrators should be banned. But given the way the lino and ref have lost control of their emotions whilst being paid to officiate and have come up with that catastrofuck of a display they would have to be the last to complain of paying fans berating them when they in turn get emotional!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
diehardmariner
March 10, 2024, 5:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Yossarian

He wasn't saying anything disrespectful, he even said it wasn't just milkmen. The point is that the officials aren't professional.

Mon-Fri they're exhausted, either or both mentally and physically and then taking charge of professional matches. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are, your limiting your ability to perform in those circumstances.

The professional officials don't go into their games with the worries of their day job on their mind and they're at optimum performance because they've spent all week training and preparing for the fixture.

Artell is absolutely spot on with his comments. The amount of money sloshing round in the game and we can't find a way to filter a tiny bit of it down so we get professional officials is embarrassing.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
ska face
March 10, 2024, 7:02am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Yossarian

You may pay money to go to a restaurant and eat a meal but it doesn't meal that if the waiter dropped a plate or the food was poor that you would stand on the table and start shouting at the person

Alrite Ghandi, you’ve made your point. Everyone in silence next week please.  
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
March 10, 2024, 7:06am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from Yossarian
I am not normally a member of the tin-foil-hat brigade, but goodness me that linesman was genuinely awful.  I've never seen a ref and a lino be so "in each other's face".  Weird.

Have to say, was some top quality "sushhing" from their player after he scored -

But why why why do fans (grown men) lose their mind so much that they want to try and climb over the fence and act like 11 year olds in a playground fight?  That was embarrasing at the end -

Red tick all you like, but there are middle-aged men acting like total retards in the stands.  At what point do people think that is even remotely in the boundaries of adult behaviour?  Pathetic.  Got to call this out when it happens.

What an absolute belter you are, enjoy your beetroot this morning

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
pontoonlew
March 10, 2024, 7:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,038
I have to say before he let his linesman make a game changing decision I thought the ref did well overall. The fact he’s missed the foul on Tharne then allowed himself to be influenced by an already bizarrely behaved linesman undoes all of that though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
Mappers
March 10, 2024, 7:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from pontoonlew
I have to say before he let his linesman make a game changing decision I thought the ref did well overall. The fact he’s missed the foul on Tharne then allowed himself to be influenced by an already bizarrely behaved linesman undoes all of that though.

I have to say and I'm by no means a member of the PC brigade that imo the best linespeople over the last 2 or 3 seasons that I have seen have been the female one's they actually seem more competent than their male counterparts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
HatTrickHero
March 10, 2024, 7:59am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +780
Gold Stars: 25
Christ, imagine being on his milk round and not tipping him at Xmas, you'd never get your milk delivered again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
JK47
March 10, 2024, 8:10am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2

He was reffing in the USA before Christmas.  Hardly been "assessed through the levels" and doubtful he's up to EFL standrad (as low as that is!)  A couple of seasons reffing at Scunny's standard before inflicting him on the rough and tumble of L2.  Clearly the lino felt something similar!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
louth_in_the_south
March 10, 2024, 9:01am

Exile
I wasn’t aware of this ^^ . Does seem that experience in the man management of reffing does need some work. Overruling a Lino’s decision when the Lino was in a better position is something he most likely wouldn’t do again. I can understand the Lino’s frustration but that shouldn’t culminate in a personal disagreement leading to a really poor decision being made . I’d hope the assessor in the ground will be submitting a highly critical report of this .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 10, 2024, 9:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
Rather than be negative about 2 points dropped I personally thought the performance was superb. Even more so given that they’d allowed stampeding wildebeest have a holiday on the pitch. Still baffled by the decision to award the penalty but, I don’t want that to detract from what was a good all round performance by players, management and fans.

The back 3 seemed to have more confidence. But,  can’t think of one player that had a bad game and I’d imagine they feel as gutted as everyone else this morning. 5 points in a week am sure many would’ve been pleased with and the confidence starting to emerge is great to see.

Lastly, how great was it to see obikwu grab his first professional goal of his career.

Bring on the Franchise Bast@rds on Tuesday

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
davmariner
March 10, 2024, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Yossarian

To be fair, and I say this as not a huge Artell fan, I think he was just making the point about them not being professional when it comes to the footballing world. It wasn’t meant as a slight on the other professions.

Equally, if you’re a professional referee you can’t just turn up on a random morning to deliver milk and expect to do as good a job at doing it as a milkman of 30 years.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
Theimperialcoroner
March 10, 2024, 10:14am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Just a note on the subject of refs.
At our level we really are in a excrement sandwich, this is mainly driven by the madness of VAR. That they have decided to have 3 additional active refs sat looking at monitors in a studio mean the pull upwards on the chain has been that bit harder. Refs have to be pushed up to fill the gap they leave and as such it’s clear that some aren’t ready, some might never be ready, but they miss much of the learning they get at lower level pro games such as Scunny and are expected to slot into a volatile EFL battle. It’s gonna fail on occasion as it did yesterday, where even if the ball did hit Rose’s arm, it was not handball under current ruling as it rolled off his head first.
So once again VAR is making footy that bit shitter.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
Hagrid
March 10, 2024, 10:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,420
Gold Stars: 534
I wasn’t aware of this ^^ . Does seem that experience in the man management of reffing does need some work. Overruling a Lino’s decision when the Lino was in a better position is something he most likely wouldn’t do again. I can understand the Lino’s frustration but that shouldn’t culminate in a personal disagreement leading to a really poor decision being made . I’d hope the assessor in the ground will be submitting a highly critical report of this .

The ref was correct to overrule him. It wasnt a foul. Linos got the hump and behaved like a petulant little twit.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
HertsGTFC
March 10, 2024, 10:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Just a note on the subject of refs.
At our level we really are in a excrement sandwich, this is mainly driven by the madness of VAR. That they have decided to have 3 additional active refs sat looking at monitors in a studio mean the pull upwards on the chain has been that bit harder. Refs have to be pushed up to fill the gap they leave and as such it’s clear that some aren’t ready, some might never be ready, but they miss much of the learning they get at lower level pro games such as Scunny and are expected to slot into a volatile EFL battle. It’s gonna fail on occasion as it did yesterday, where even if the ball did hit Rose’s arm, it was not handball under current ruling as it rolled off his head first.
So once again VAR is making footy that bit shitter.

They also insist on having a top level ref as the 4th official, a job that in reality could be done by someone less qualified .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
HerveJosse
March 10, 2024, 10:29am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Five pages of bleating about the ref and the linesman .Yes it was a crap decision but hardly on a par with Marylin Monroes paid for hit on JFK in the conspiracy theory stakes.
Refs can’t get it right sat in a Var studio with endless replays.
It all balances out over the season
What I saw was two poor teams of which we were marginally the better slugging it out in something that rarely reflected the beautiful game .
We are a team which has tightened up considerably but has lost the ability to take chances and without Roses goals we would be stuffed particularly as Eisa doesn’t fit into this new style of play
Just get to the end of the season do enough to stay up and start again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Mallyner
March 10, 2024, 10:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HerveJosse
Five pages of bleating about the ref and the li seaman . Yes it was a crap decision by hardly on a par with Marlynn Monroes paid for hit on JFK in the conspiracy theory stakes.

I think that VA R might say that she died a year before him.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 10, 2024, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from HerveJosse
Five pages of bleating about the ref and the li seaman . Yes it was a crap decision by hardly on a par with Marlynn Monroes paid for hit on JFK in the conspiracy theory stakes.
Refs can’t get it right sat in a Var studio with endless replays.
It all balances out over the season
What I saw was two poor teams of which we were marginally the better slugging it out in something that rarely reflects the beautiful game .
We are team which has tightened up considerably but has  lost the ability to take chances and without Roses goals we would be stuffed particularly as Eisa doesn’t fit into this new style of play
Just get to the end of the season do enough to stay up and start again.

Such a breath of fresh air on a Sunday morning

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
MuddyWaters
March 10, 2024, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Yes, it was a dreadful decision and yes, refereeing at this level is, being polite, inconsistent. But so many decisions over the years are debatable with or without television replays or VAR. Depending on your opinion, Havertz shouldn't have been on the pitch to score the winner last night, Liverpool shouldn't have had possession last weekend and so on..

Point is that we should have put the game to bed, didn't, and these are the consequences. 5 points this week was a good return - 2 more than FGR got and 4 more than Colchester. By the way, Sutton are rank and are heading back where they belong.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
JK47
March 10, 2024, 1:04pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

So you are saying, that it was a foul one way or another which clearly occurred before the (not) handball and the referee therefore had a decision to make - a penalty to them or a FK to us, and as Tondeur always says "In those situations the ref always awards the free kick."

It doesn't matter who fouled whom, your version of events erases the penalty decison of the lino.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
SouthLakesMariner
March 10, 2024, 2:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +939
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Yossarian

If a waiter makes an innocent mistake and drops a customer’s food, then you’re right, he doesn’t deserve to be shouted at. If on the other hand he deliberately throws your food on the floor because of an earlier complaint that your starter was cold, then maybe he gets what he deserves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
Zmariner
March 10, 2024, 3:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Yossarian

Bizarre analogy - you must have been drinking to come up with that nonsense
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
Yossarian
March 10, 2024, 4:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Zmariner - indeed I was and you are probably right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
Zmariner
March 10, 2024, 7:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Fair enough
I am still sour about that decision
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
MrThirsty
March 10, 2024, 7:36pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Rather than be negative about 2 points dropped I personally thought the performance was superb. Even more so given that they’d allowed stampeding wildebeest have a holiday on the pitch. Still baffled by the decision to award the penalty but, I don’t want that to detract from what was a good all round performance by players, management and fans.

The back 3 seemed to have more confidence. But, can’t think of one player that had a bad game and I’d imagine they feel as gutted as everyone else this morning. 5 points in a week am sure many would’ve been pleased with and the confidence starting to emerge is great to see.

Lastly, how great was it to see obikwu grab his first professional goal of his career.

Bring on the Franchise Bast@rds on Tuesday

Broadly agree with this, especially regarding Obikwu who, apart from scoring, was a real handful for their defenders. What might not be appreciated by some is that looking at their league performances in 2024, they have not lost any game by more than one goal and in 2024 have also drawn 5 games including Mansfield, Barrow and Walsall and beaten Notts County.

To concede in the bizarre circumstances we did should not take away from our overall good performance and finally, I hope I don’t ever need to go back there again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
JK47
March 11, 2024, 11:28am
Shandy Drinker
So .... the referee saw nothing from 5 yards away, whilst the lino saw something through a melee of players from 50 yards away, and he was so eagle-eyed that he missed a blatant offside 2 minutes later?  I hadn't realised it was in the melee until I saw one of our fans vlog where it became obvious that the bloke raised his flag immediately the ball ping-ponged around in the goalmouth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
Grantham_Mariner
March 11, 2024, 5:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,188
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from JK47
So .... the referee saw nothing from 5 yards away, whilst the lino saw something through a melee of players from 50 yards away, and he was so eagle-eyed that he missed a blatant offside 2 minutes later?  I hadn't realised it was in the melee until I saw one of our fans vlog where it became obvious that the bloke raised his flag immediately the ball ping-ponged around in the goalmouth.

The linesman flagged earlier for a foul, the ref verbally belated him for diong so, but had no option but to give it. The ref obviously didn't want the linesman to flag a foul again, but he did and the ref again had a go at him, and did not give the free kick. So this was the linesman getting his own back onthe ref by flagging a penalty. I was obvious that the ref did not want to give it, but the linesman stood firm giving the ref no option. The linesman refused to shake the refs hand at the end of the game.

Would love to read the assesors report.

P.S. we where sat right in the corner and saw everything.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
chaos33
March 11, 2024, 5:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
The club need to submit a statement to the EFL and ask them to make some sort of judgement on the pair. It won’t change the outcome or the result so no real point getting our knickers in a twist any longer, but this kind of ludicrous, egotistical power struggle officiating is unprofessional, incompetent and could potentially be pivotal to outcomes for lots of people. It might mean jack in the end, but you can’t have this. Some ego trip back and forth tussle between officials. Pathetic and disgraceful and shouldn’t be allowed to recur.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
supertown
March 11, 2024, 6:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,458
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Yossarian

You would get your meal replaced so what’s the point of kicking off . We won’t get our 2 points back that they stole
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
Maringer
March 11, 2024, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,524
Gold Stars: 185
I'll bet the ref wishes he was back in the Yoo Ess reffing games at LA Galaxy and DC United again. Not as glamorous a tie as Sutton United vs GTFC, naturally, but closer to home.

Perhaps he got his sports mixed up and mistakenly thought that corner was a scrimmage?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 63
rancido
March 11, 2024, 7:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Does anybody have a link to the DA interview post match?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 63
rancido
March 11, 2024, 8:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
It's ok , found it.
He's right in what he says about part-time officials who are officiating a professional sport. Certainly not insulting to milkmen, teachers or plumbers and he clarifies that in the interview. Apparently there is a post going around in which the ref or lino allegedly rang DA and apologised about the decision.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 63
forza ivano
March 12, 2024, 5:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,187
Quoted from rancido
It's ok , found it.
He's right in what he says about part-time officials who are officiating a professional sport. Certainly not insulting to milkmen, teachers or plumbers and he clarifies that in the interview. Apparently there is a post going around in which the ref or lino allegedly rang DA and apologised about the decision.

head of refs Assoc rang him on Monday and club got a similar apologetic email.

I' rather have the 2 points
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 63
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.