7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
conscorner
March 10, 2024, 12:47am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
I believe today's referee is fairly new to the EFL referees list - up until December 2023 he was refereeing at a high level in the USA MLS League.

I thought he got most decisions right but agree with other posters that the incident where he put the lino in his place for flagging incorrectly for a foul was bizarre

Perhaps that is something of an American trait ? Certainly the lino appeared to lose confidence when flagging decisions. He appeared to just follow the referees decisions, until the penalty incident.

The officials should work as a team and I think the ref lost this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
livosnose
March 10, 2024, 1:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,173
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Yossarian
Yeah I didn;t like his comments about milkmen and teacher.  Lacked class.  I understand his frustration but that was out of order... I hope he apologizes for that at some point.

The ref / lino situation is a tough one because the game needs them and needs good ones, but then I was looking at the amount of bile and pure hatred from the fans 3 yards away from them thinking "who the hell would put up with this each weekend?"

The greater the frothing hate, the least likely to get decent refs.

No idea what the answer is, apart from not being a frothing, rabid fan.

I’m a teacher and i wish I was a milkman .. and don’t care ..

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
toontown
March 10, 2024, 1:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Yossarian

You may pay money to go to a restaurant and eat a meal but it doesn't meal that if the waiter dropped a plate or the food was poor that you would stand on the table and start shouting at the person.

I don't think they have reached refereeing at EFL level and believe that the money they receive is in return for expecting to be treated like they work in a restaurant to be honest. I am sure they have been to football matches before today! Although perhaps not given the quality of officiating.

They are human, theyve made mistakes from errors of judgment but that has been compounded massively from a clash of egos.

Suddenly expecting a football crowd of a league 2 relegation battle to magically transform into a middle class tennis crowd that shushes when told by the officials is not realistic though I am afraid. If the officials had been physically hurt I'd totally support you in saying that was out of order and the perpetrators should be banned. But given the way the lino and ref have lost control of their emotions whilst being paid to officiate and have come up with that catastrofuck of a display they would have to be the last to complain of paying fans berating them when they in turn get emotional!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
diehardmariner
March 10, 2024, 5:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Yossarian
Yeah I didn;t like his comments about milkmen and teacher.  Lacked class.  I understand his frustration but that was out of order... I hope he apologizes for that at some point.

He wasn't saying anything disrespectful, he even said it wasn't just milkmen. The point is that the officials aren't professional.

Mon-Fri they're exhausted, either or both mentally and physically and then taking charge of professional matches. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are, your limiting your ability to perform in those circumstances.

The professional officials don't go into their games with the worries of their day job on their mind and they're at optimum performance because they've spent all week training and preparing for the fixture.

Artell is absolutely spot on with his comments. The amount of money sloshing round in the game and we can't find a way to filter a tiny bit of it down so we get professional officials is embarrassing.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
ska face
March 10, 2024, 7:02am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Yossarian

You may pay money to go to a restaurant and eat a meal but it doesn't meal that if the waiter dropped a plate or the food was poor that you would stand on the table and start shouting at the person

Alrite Ghandi, you’ve made your point. Everyone in silence next week please.  
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
March 10, 2024, 7:06am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from Yossarian
I am not normally a member of the tin-foil-hat brigade, but goodness me that linesman was genuinely awful.  I've never seen a ref and a lino be so "in each other's face".  Weird.

Have to say, was some top quality "sushhing" from their player after he scored -

But why why why do fans (grown men) lose their mind so much that they want to try and climb over the fence and act like 11 year olds in a playground fight?  That was embarrasing at the end -

Red tick all you like, but there are middle-aged men acting like total retards in the stands.  At what point do people think that is even remotely in the boundaries of adult behaviour?  Pathetic.  Got to call this out when it happens.

What an absolute belter you are, enjoy your beetroot this morning

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
pontoonlew
March 10, 2024, 7:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
I have to say before he let his linesman make a game changing decision I thought the ref did well overall. The fact he’s missed the foul on Tharne then allowed himself to be influenced by an already bizarrely behaved linesman undoes all of that though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
Mappers
March 10, 2024, 7:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from pontoonlew
I have to say before he let his linesman make a game changing decision I thought the ref did well overall. The fact he’s missed the foul on Tharne then allowed himself to be influenced by an already bizarrely behaved linesman undoes all of that though.

I have to say and I'm by no means a member of the PC brigade that imo the best linespeople over the last 2 or 3 seasons that I have seen have been the female one's they actually seem more competent than their male counterparts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
HatTrickHero
March 10, 2024, 7:59am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Christ, imagine being on his milk round and not tipping him at Xmas, you'd never get your milk delivered again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
JK47
March 10, 2024, 8:10am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Not totally disagreeing with you but if he’s got onto the league list he must have been assessed through the levels to gained the standard required to have become an EFL ref. He had a lot to deal with today in terms of physicality from both sides . I think he started to lose control after the penalty decision which he probably knew he’d messed up and just decided not to give another difficult decision and blew the final whistle.
He’s probably sitting at home mulling over his afternoon’s work with a glass of red thinking I’m going to be doing non league next season

He was reffing in the USA before Christmas.  Hardly been "assessed through the levels" and doubtful he's up to EFL standrad (as low as that is!)  A couple of seasons reffing at Scunny's standard before inflicting him on the rough and tumble of L2.  Clearly the lino felt something similar!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.