6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
March 5, 2024, 5:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,687
Gold Stars: 96
He only changed it because he knew he was going to get the sack with the most humiliating record of practically any manager for years .
I’m absolutely relieved he had to ditch his total football as it’s given us a fighting chance of staying up but still have little of no confidence he’ll do any better next season when he gets his dream team assembled.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
HerveJosse
March 5, 2024, 6:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
One swallow doesn’t make a summer but it allows a different tune to be played for a few days at least . I am not sure there are going to be to many games like last Saturdays and in many ways I hope not.if we get through these two away games in a no worse position I have no ideal how we will set up for the next home game.i wonder if Artell does?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
Trevor Whymark
March 6, 2024, 10:52am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +15
Gold Stars: 9
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
diehardmariner
March 6, 2024, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from marinerjase
Whilst acknowledging it’s good to see - finally/at last - the penny has dropped and common sense is prevailing - in respect of a change of approach (much needed) - I can’t ignore that it took eith the owner, or staff, or players - to force it. The manager was taking us to relegation if he had have carried on with his ‘philosophy’ stance ..and I think he would’ve carried on without being ‘forced’ out of it.

Nothing wrong with a footballing philosophy..and sticking to it - but has to be a recognition and an awareness of a time and place and situation.

Whilst many have gone from ‘oo he’s great..just what we need’ on appointment, to ‘get him out’ three weeks ago, back to ‘oo I like the cut of his jib’ after latest draw/win and interview - I’m still, and have been since day 1 - far from convinced on Artell on many fronts. I’ve said before I’d like nothing better than for him to prove me massively wrong. And I hope he does. For me.. too many reservations atm. But fingers crossed for another result tonight.. I don’t see any reason why we can’t get something, again a point would be fine. Come on Town. 🤞

As always, good and balanced viewpoint jase.  

Nature of football fans to flip and flop on their views, our club won't be exclusive in that one.  I don't think Artell should be judged solely on this season (disaster avoided of course) nor should he be done on a six-week run of form.  Alas, he largely was (myself included) as emotion and panic set in.

Fingers crossed we've ridden that wave.  I've said since his appointment there would be as many ups as downs, I certainly didn't imagine those down points would be quite so traumatic though!  I thought the point of him still learning was really interesting from his interview.  Brave point to make and I respect that from him.  Only becomes a valuable admission if you learn from the mistakes.  Without wanting to flip this back too much to previous managers, that was always the biggest downfall with Hurst in my eyes.  He was too stubborn on ideas and approaches, even if it was clear they weren't working.  I'm hoping Artell has and continues to reflect on what hasn't worked (as much as what has) in the last 3/4 months to make him a better manager and us a better side.  
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
Limerick Mariner
March 6, 2024, 12:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from rancido

I would substitute ego with principles. He admitted that he had only managed one team before he joined us and was still learning. When he took over at Crewe he inherited a squad and club that had a style of play ingrained in its DNA and his own. In some ways it was easier to progress and achieve the success he did with promotion. We don't have that playing style ethos and as such he has had too start from scratch. I'm sure we will escape relegation but the real measure of his capabilities will be his recruitment in the summer when he has to find players to suit his playing style and principles.

A huge challenge the summer IMHO. Save one season with Slade we’ve had nothing but struggle for 20 odd years outside of Hurstball. The days of recruiting and keeping creative, and combative / dominant midfielders like Paul Groves, essential for what I perceive Artell’s style to require,  for likes of GTFC are gone. We couldn’t hang to one youth that had the potential to be that for more than half a season. Our best final third player that we’ve had for years, McAtee lasted a season plus a loan back.

Buckley mk 1 is possible, and by that I mean his first season. After a very slow start, we had the cup run and play-off form, from a team of mostly really good national leagues players plus the cultured forward play of Kelly, the Buckley equivalent of Ryan Taylor. I can’t see us landing the second season type signings - a Gary Birtles. I’m impressed with the Rose Wilson combo though. think we need to retain them both not just Rose.

I think Artell has to adapt his preferred approach. We need a Green upgrade, someone as combative but who can also pass better to make up for the mobility limitations of Thompson, who could be the midfield director with right players alongside.

We must have a better outlet. This could be Vernam if he stays fit. Eisa, for all his spectacular 20 yarders doesn’t do it for me. Doesn’t track back to look for the ball and doesn’t find space to make an easy pass available for the FB and midfielders sitting deep.

I’d like to keep Harvey, he’s growing in confidence - great area dominating performance last night.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell pre-Wimbledon

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.