pizzzza
March 5, 2024, 2:36pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

Fortunately, this fetish for getting whipped every week is no longer considered to be a pleasurable activity, and
I sincerely hope that the team can now resort to more conventional methods of stimulation.

Oooh! Matron!

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
Poojah
March 5, 2024, 2:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
Currently breathing a huge sigh of relief that Artell appears to have taken on board the views of players and staff - it had begun to look as if we were stampeding towards relegation if we simply carried on with the same kamikaze way of playing.

Fortunately, this fetish for getting whipped every week is no longer considered to be a pleasurable activity, and
I sincerely hope that the team can now resort to more conventional methods of stimulation.

I think it’s refreshing that he’s:

a) demonstrated that he’s been watching the same game as everyone else

b) shown a degree of humility and introspection in moving away from his stated ideas and principles, a quality you don’t often see in leadership in general and even less so in football

c) apparently been prepared to listen to and take on board the opinions and ideas of his subordinates at the expense of his own ego, again something you rarely see in leadership

As much as we saw the better side of Artell’s tactical qualities against Forest Green, I think what we’ve really seen in the past few days are his human traits.

I’ve been very critical of Artell, because frankly results and performances have largely been atrocious this year, but he’s gone up slightly in my estimation this last week. I say “slightly”, because he’s still got a very long way to go, but since there’s been so little positivity of late, let’s give some credit where it’s due.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
diehardmariner
March 5, 2024, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from rancido

Yet he specifically said that he wished the players had spoken up earlier!

About 6:45 in:

"We were in the next day and the staff had a meeting for 2 hours and we were very open and frank with each other, really open and frank which was good. I just wish it had happened 3 weeks previous...or 5 weeks previous because we'd have probably not hurt as much as what we were doing at the time.  But the fact we could have those conversations was really good.  We learnt a lot, about the players, about each other, the staff learnt a lot about each other as well."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
MarinerDevil
March 5, 2024, 3:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,768
Gold Stars: 80
We have 13 games left. Over the last 13 games, we've achieved exactly 1 PPG. If we carry that over to the next 13 we'll finish with 46 points which would probably see us safe. FGR and Sutton would need 1.81 and 2.1 PPG respectively to overhaul us from here, so basically promotion form. Given the fact we've been largely crap over the last 13 games and our run-in is quite good, we've got a very good chance.

If we take a point tonight and at least avoid defeat on Saturday to extend our little unbeaten run to 4 matches, I'll be feeling much more confident about our chances.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
rancido
March 5, 2024, 3:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Poojah

b) shown a degree of humility and introspection in moving away from his stated ideas and principles, a quality you don’t often see in leadership in general and even less so in football

c) apparently been prepared to listen to and take on board the opinions and ideas of his subordinates at the expense of his own ego, again something you rarely see in leadership

As much as we saw the better side of Artell’s tactical qualities against Forest Green, I think what we’ve really seen in the past few days are his human traits.

I’ve been very critical of Artell, because frankly results and performances have largely been atrocious this year, but he’s gone up slightly in my estimation this last week. I say “slightly”, because he’s still got a very long way to go, but since there’s been so little positivity of late, let’s give some credit where it’s due.

I would substitute ego with principles. He admitted that he had only managed one team before he joined us and was still learning. When he took over at Crewe he inherited a squad and club that had a style of play ingrained in its DNA and his own. In some ways it was easier to progress and achieve the success he did with promotion. We don't have that playing style ethos and as such he has had too start from scratch. I'm sure we will escape relegation but the real measure of his capabilities will be his recruitment in the summer when he has to find players to suit his playing style and principles.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
IlkleyMariner
March 5, 2024, 3:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from MarinerDevil
We have 13 games left. Over the last 13 games, we've achieved exactly 1 PPG. If we carry that over to the next 13 we'll finish with 46 points which would probably see us safe. FGR and Sutton would need 1.81 and 2.1 PPG respectively to overhaul us from here, so basically promotion form. Given the fact we've been largely crap over the last 13 games and our run-in is quite good, we've got a very good chance.

If we take a point tonight and at least avoid defeat on Saturday to extend our little unbeaten run to 4 matches, I'll be feeling much more confident about our chances.

Exactly. It’s a low bar to clear to achieve safety…….lets hope we continue the run this week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
GrimPol
March 5, 2024, 3:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Poojah

a) demonstrated that he’s been watching the same game as everyone else Its a damn good start, as one had to wonder with PH and then DA that someone was giving them a different Memory Stick to rewatch a different match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
buckstown
March 5, 2024, 4:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Sounds like a positive outcome from the team meeting which is not always the case when people start speaking their minds. An old guy I knew used to call them butchers shop meetings- by the time we finish we need blood dripping down the walls. They can easily get out of hand and need to be very well managed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
marinerjase
March 5, 2024, 4:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 147
Whilst acknowledging it’s good to see - finally/at last - the penny has dropped and common sense is prevailing - in respect of a change of approach (much needed) - I can’t ignore that it took eith the owner, or staff, or players - to force it. The manager was taking us to relegation if he had have carried on with his ‘philosophy’ stance ..and I think he would’ve carried on without being ‘forced’ out of it.

Nothing wrong with a footballing philosophy..and sticking to it - but has to be a recognition and an awareness of a time and place and situation.

Whilst many have gone from ‘oo he’s great..just what we need’ on appointment, to ‘get him out’ three weeks ago, back to ‘oo I like the cut of his jib’ after latest draw/win and interview - I’m still, and have been since day 1 - far from convinced on Artell on many fronts. I’ve said before I’d like nothing better than for him to prove me massively wrong. And I hope he does. For me.. too many reservations atm. But fingers crossed for another result tonight.. I don’t see any reason why we can’t get something, again a point would be fine. Come on Town. 🤞

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
LocalLadGTFC
March 5, 2024, 5:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,211
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GrimPol

a) demonstrated that he’s been watching the same game as everyone else Its a damn good start, as one had to wonder with PH and then DA that someone was giving them a different Memory Stick to rewatch a different match.

Think the problem is that in spells the players were showing that they were capable of doing what he was asking, there was just too many moments of capitulation and we was often out the games by that time. I've stood by the ethos that if he keeps us up then we will see the fruits of his labour. The players he's brought in have improved us and he's quite clearly got a togetherness in the dressing room that mirrors a PH side based on what we saw at full time on Saturday. The interview was a good listen as you could tell he was slightly more relaxed and gave some good answers to some good questions from JT.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell pre-Wimbledon

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.