toontown
March 5, 2024, 7:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from forza ivano
I get the distinct feeling that this change was practically forced upon artell by the players, the staff, 1878 n the fans ( in descending order of importance)
Notice how he tries to downplay the extent of the change and that it's really injuries that forced him to do it.
Had to laugh when he said he wished the players had spoken up 3 or 4 weeks earlier! As tho it was their fault! Hes the manager ffs!
Having said that it's good to see that the scales have finally appeared to fall from his eyes, n he does seem a little more humble and relaxed, as a result

I agree - id have thought as a manager he should have been able to see what fans, chairman, staff, players and even John tondeur could see really...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
rancido
March 5, 2024, 7:43am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from forza ivano
I get the distinct feeling that this change was practically forced upon artell by the players, the staff, 1878 n the fans ( in descending order of importance)
Notice how he tries to downplay the extent of the change and that it's really injuries that forced him to do it.
Had to laugh when he said he wished the players had spoken up 3 or 4 weeks earlier! As tho it was their fault! Hes the manager ffs!
Having said that it's good to see that the scales have finally appeared to fall from his eyes, n he does seem a little more humble and relaxed, as a result

When DA first came he said the team were a bit " meh" which I thought it was a reflection on the performances he had seen. This I assume was both in physically attending games and looking at match recordings. After his first training sessions he did say that he was pleasantly surprised at the players abilities. IMO his subsequent team selections were based on what he had seen in training. But how players perform in training and how they do in a competitive game is two different scenarios . Practicing routines and formations against your fellow team mates who obviously know what your plan is , is totally different to a real game. This I think has lead to the disappointing performances. What was said in the " clear the air" meetings we will never know but all sort of things could have been raised. It could have taken some time for the squad he inherited to completely trust DA and feel confident that they could speak their minds and be honest with him . It's easy to blame DA but communication is a two-way thing. Whatever has happened we can only hope that the squad and coaching staff ( DA included) are in a better place now and understand each other better.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
pizzzza
March 5, 2024, 7:58am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I was surprised John Tondeur had to ask about Obikwu's whereabouts when it is so widely known that he has been away on international duty.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
HertsGTFC
March 5, 2024, 8:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,934
Gold Stars: 228
Never doubted Artell is intelligent and he’s been smart enough to get the players & staff involved in the conversation on how to stop the slide into relegation.

To be honest if we “keep us shape” and come away with a 0 - 0 tonight I’d be more than happy.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
GollyGTFC
March 5, 2024, 8:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from forza ivano

You don’t think the style of play he attempted to use was actually forced on him by the owners? Their fabled “Grimsby way”. Who is it that’s backed down to play pragmatic football? Artell or the owners?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 54
Rodley Mariner
March 5, 2024, 8:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You don’t think the style of play he attempted to use was actually forced on him by the owners? Their fabled “Grimsby way”. Who is it that’s backed down to play pragmatic football? Artell or the owners?

I think it's clear they brought in Artell as a manager with a defined playing style and an aspiration to play more attacking and attractive football. I doubt that the owners interfered with the football beyond that and certainly don't believe that until Morecambe they were the ones demanding a continued commitment to total football and wouldn't allow a more pragmatic approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
GrimPol
March 5, 2024, 8:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from toontown

I agree - id have thought as a manager he should have been able to see what fans, chairman, staff, players and even John tondeur could see really...

In the JT-DA interview he said this
  06m:20s  “The performances weren’t as bad as everyone thought they were. You know the data backed that up, but I do appreciate that data can tell you what you want see or hear or whatever..but there was too much data saying the right positive things”  

On Saturday if FGR goalkeeper tried to throw out the ball and a wayward seagull deflected it into the goal, and we won 1:0 would data transcribe that as a fantastic move?

I'm glad a " clear the air meeting did some good, but I worry.     “The performances weren’t as bad as everyone thought"  No David they were worse than that. You and the team should own it and move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 5, 2024, 8:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,836
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from bradzmilne
3 days is a long time in football.

I think that pre-15:00 on Saturday, most people would have certainly suggested that if we lost DA would and prospectively should have been sacked.
!

Could Harvey Rodgers be David Artells mark robins ??

Let’s hope so!!

On the note of the interviews, I got bored listening to the ones that PH used to give pre/post match this season. The way that even the players sound is somewhat ‘happier’

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
Mappers
March 5, 2024, 8:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
I like that he's acknowledged his wilingess to change  , he's actually gone up in my estimation as I honestly thought it was his way and down . I'm a lot more confident now and think the guy deserves credit - I wanted him gone badly ,really badly after the Doncaster game . The question  now will be how does  he construct a team in the summer that will be capable of his way of playing ?  (I'm very confident we will grind our way to safety now )

There is going to be a massive turnover of players you would have thought this summer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
Poojah
March 5, 2024, 8:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,540
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Mappers
I like that he's acknowledged his wilingess to change  , he's actually gone up in my estimation as I honestly thought it was his way and down . I'm a lot more confident now and think the guy deserves credit - I wanted him gone badly ,really badly after the Doncaster game . The question  now will be how does  he construct a team in the summer that will be capable of his way of playing ?  (I'm very confident we will grind our way to safety now )

There is going to be a massive turnover of players you would have thought this summer.

Agree with most of that, but let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves - there’s still work to do yet. On the one hand, we could be sitting pretty on Saturday evening with a virtually unassailable 12 point cushion, or the gap could be back down to 3 points with Sutton also hot on our heels.

The pressure tonight is substantially lower than it was on Saturday, but it’s an important game regardless and one we could really do with taking something from. 4 points from the next 2 days would do very nicely.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell pre-Wimbledon

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.