Mappers
March 5, 2024, 8:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Poojah

Agree with most of that, but let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves - there’s still work to do yet. On the one hand, we could be sitting pretty on Saturday evening with a virtually unassailable 12 point cushion, or the gap could be back down to 3 points with Sutton also hot on our heels.

The pressure tonight is substantially lower than it was on Saturday, but it’s an important game regardless and one we could really do with taking something from. 4 points from the next 2 days would do very nicely.

I would take 2 tbh it's weird because 2 points stopping Sutton winning would be better than winning tonight and losing to them .

If Sutton don't beat us it's the final nail for them I think , no way are they turning it around to around 2.1PPG to reach 45 points which I think will just about do it now - if we made it out of these 2 games with 2 points or a win at Sutton I would back us to reach 1PPG probably maximum 1.2PPG for safety . It might even be lower than 45 points for safety with  that nasty run FGR have .

FGR and Sutton play each other in a couple of weeks aswell so  one drops points or they cancel each other out .

If we won both of these 2 we would be pretty close (maybe even enough points ?) and  looking upwards strangely .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
HertsGTFC
March 5, 2024, 9:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,930
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah

Agree with most of that, but let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves - there’s still work to do yet. On the one hand, we could be sitting pretty on Saturday evening with a virtually unassailable 12 point cushion, or the gap could be back down to 3 points with Sutton also hot on our heels.

The pressure tonight is substantially lower than it was on Saturday, but it’s an important game regardless and one we could really do with taking something from. 4 points from the next 2 days would do very nicely.

Challenging week for the players TBH, the need to at least avoid defeat in both games and arguably win on Saturday plus a journey down South, back up North and then back down South again to another club 5 miles away from the one they're visiting tonight,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 5, 2024, 9:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,835
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Challenging week for the players TBH, the need to at least avoid defeat in both games and arguably win on Saturday plus a journey down South, back up North and then back down South again to another club 5 miles away from the one they're visiting tonight,

Agree totally with this. Whoever accepted the change in date didn’t look at the calendar propery. Would even possibly have made more sense to play tomorrow night and stay over for a couple of days. There must be a hell of a fatigue with the journey itself and disruption in training.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Maringer
March 5, 2024, 9:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,511
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Agree totally with this. Whoever accepted the change in date didn’t look at the calendar propery. Would even possibly have made more sense to play tomorrow night and stay over for a couple of days. There must be a hell of a fatigue with the journey itself and disruption in training.

That assumes that we actually had an option as to choose when the games were played. I'd imagine there are regulations regarding this and the League told us when they had to be played.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
diehardmariner
March 5, 2024, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from forza ivano
I get the distinct feeling that this change was practically forced upon artell by the players, the staff, 1878 n the fans ( in descending order of importance)
Notice how he tries to downplay the extent of the change and that it's really injuries that forced him to do it.
Had to laugh when he said he wished the players had spoken up 3 or 4 weeks earlier! As tho it was their fault! Hes the manager ffs!
Having said that it's good to see that the scales have finally appeared to fall from his eyes, n he does seem a little more humble and relaxed, as a result

I heard that as more the staff than the players to be honest.

No surprise really that he sounds simply better on the back of two decent results as opposed to after a tonking at home to a relegation rival.  Equally so JT's line of questioning is much easier than Matt Dean's more relentless (especially of late) approach.

I'm at the point where I don't care if it was injuries, the fans, Stockwood, a 3am epiphany from Artell or someone in the set-up hammering home some truths.  The last few performances have seen more of what we need as opposed to trying to see the longer term picture.  But we're still poor, long term that needs addressing.

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
Mappers
March 5, 2024, 11:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from diehardmariner

No surprise really that he sounds simply better on the back of two decent results as opposed to after a tonking at home to a relegation rival.  Equally so JT's line of questioning is much easier than Matt Dean's more relentless (especially of late) approach.

I'm at the point where I don't care if it was injuries, the fans, Stockwood, a 3am epiphany from Artell or someone in the set-up hammering home some truths.  The last few performances have seen more of what we need as opposed to trying to see the longer term picture.  But we're still poor, long term that needs addressing.

That's where recruitment is going to have to be a hell of a lot better (stating the obvious ) which probably won't come cheap in the template Artell favours . I'm interested how Ainley fit's into his plans medium to long term as he played a lot of games in Artell's/Crewe's system so he  is probably one of the few players who is a good fit for it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
rancido
March 5, 2024, 1:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from diehardmariner

Yet he specifically said that he wished the players had spoken up earlier!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 5, 2024, 1:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,275
Gold Stars: 306
Tonight's game will be interesting:

Wimbledon need the points to keep looking toward the play offs. We need the points for obvious reasons.

Both teams coming off wins at the weekend in emotionally charged situations, big games for both but in very different ways.

Their form is mixed overall, home form better than away but still mixed (w8 d4 l5). They've scored marginally more goals than us but been much better in defence (no surprise there).

It's another test for our grit and our more prosaic style of football.

It has draw written all over it. And I'll take that. See you in the away end.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
A Brace Of Tees
March 5, 2024, 2:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Currently breathing a huge sigh of relief that Artell appears to have taken on board the views of players and staff - it had begun to look as if we were stampeding towards relegation if we simply carried on with the same kamikaze way of playing.

Fortunately, this fetish for getting whipped every week is no longer considered to be a pleasurable activity, and
I sincerely hope that the team can now resort to more conventional methods of stimulation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Zmariner
March 5, 2024, 2:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
I checked the last few seasons league tables and 45 points is usually about right. One of the relegated teams usually get stranded and one gets a few more points. On this basis. We need four more victories. If I was Artell, I would continue with the attritional approach from Saturday and grind out results in any fashion. We have some tricky games coming , so I would prefer to play Wimbledon and Sutton , we are not out of the scrap by any stretch.FG were toothless but not useless, Sutton are physically tough. We could finish Sutton on Saturday. Four points from the next  two would be fantastic.utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell pre-Wimbledon

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.