3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Vance Warner
March 3, 2024, 8:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
Just a heads up there’s no Thameslink service from Kings X to Sutton next Saturday. It’s looking like a pretty tricky journey getting there and back. Train tickets are booked so I’ll just have to hope for the best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Marinerdeano
March 3, 2024, 8:56am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
I'm going.  I think your best bet is tube Kings x to London Bridge,  then trains from London Bridge to Sutton are regular.  Takes about an hour in total, plus if you are early, great pubs near London Bridge around Borough Market.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
Mariner56
March 3, 2024, 9:32am
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
There are plenty of trains from Victoria to Sutton but West Sutton station which is directly outside the ground, appears to be closed that day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Poojah
March 3, 2024, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Marinerdeano
I'm going.  I think your best bet is tube Kings x to London Bridge,  then trains from London Bridge to Sutton are regular.  Takes about an hour in total, plus if you are early, great pubs near London Bridge around Borough Market.

Katzenjammers is a cracking little spot.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
nigelh
March 3, 2024, 9:39am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +35
Quoted from Mariner56
There are plenty of trains from Victoria to Sutton but West Sutton station which is directly outside the ground, appears to be closed that day.

Yes. Engineering  works so West Sutton is closed.
Sutton is served by Thameslink and Southern so you should be able to get trains from Victoria, London Bridge , Blackfriars and maybe St Pancras ((Thameslink).
I don't think I can make it, which is a shame as it's one.of the nearer away days from the south  coast

.....................n
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
The Caterham Mariner
March 3, 2024, 10:36am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +86
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from nigelh

Sutton is served by Thameslink and Southern so you should be able to get trains from Victoria, London Bridge , Blackfriars and maybe St Pancras ((Thameslink).
I don't think I can make it, which is a shame as it's one.of the nearer away days from the south  coast

Me its a bus 407 Caterham to Sutton then a 15 - 20 mins walk .
Your good self train to closest station then bus? Rather than miss out on a game.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
Yossarian
March 3, 2024, 10:36am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Yeah i'll  heading borough market for a couple before heading down.  

Sutton is a weird out of the way suburb...i had the 'pleasure' of working on a project there for a year.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Vance Warner
March 3, 2024, 10:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from nigelh

Cheers for that. It’s looking like Victoria to Sutton and then a bit of a walk to the ground but probably works better for decent pubs anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2024, 10:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,938
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Yossarian
Yeah i'll  heading borough market for a couple before heading down.  

Sutton is a weird out of the way suburb...i had the 'pleasure' of working on a project there for a year.  

Yeah when I worked on the road one of my Stores was in Sutton, full of shop lifting scrotes before shop lifting became a recognised past time.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
The Caterham Mariner
March 3, 2024, 11:13am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Sorry forgot to add for Nigelh's benefit
Train to Purley then bus to Sutton is that an option ? Press post quick before adding.

In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
Grantham_Mariner
March 3, 2024, 4:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,187
Gold Stars: 51
Drive (From Grantham) to Huntingdon/St Neots, ThamesLinc to London Bridge, Breakfast/Brunch/Lunch/Drink Borough Market, then London Bridge to Sutton for 3 points.
Return journey changing at Norwood Junction.

NB. Only £35 Super Offpeak Return (2+1 with Friends & Family Rail Card) from Huntingdon or St Neats (More than double from Peterborough and a lot more from Grantham). So short drive, and "Let the Train take the strain" as they used to say.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
The Caterham Mariner
March 3, 2024, 6:00pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Drive (From Grantham) to Huntingdon/St Neots, ThamesLinc to London Bridge, Breakfast/Brunch/Lunch/Drink Borough Market, then London Bridge to Sutton for 3 points.
Return journey changing at Norwood Junction.

NB. Only £35 Super Offpeak Return (2+1 with Friends & Family Rail Card) from Huntingdon or St Neats (More than double from Peterborough and a lot more from Grantham). So short drive, and "Let the Train take the strain" as they used to say.

Glad  to see your plan for day out , Yes i live down  here but no way drink down here, The pub round by London Bridge Station sorry i can't remember the name  is ideal real beer no pool tables / juke box/ Karoke machine etc a starting point.
ME its a serious big breakfast at "The Caterham Cafe" then a couple of beer on route via a "Spoons" = whats your cheapest  ale please.
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 3, 2024, 9:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178

Glad  to see your plan for day out , Yes i live down  here but no way drink down here, The pub round by London Bridge Station sorry i can't remember the name  is ideal real beer no pool tables / juke box/ Karoke machine etc a starting point.
ME its a serious big breakfast at "The Caterham Cafe" then a couple of beer on route via a "Spoons" = whats your cheapest  ale please.
UTM

Loads of great pubs around London Bridge tbh. The thameside is a great pub and views right on the Thames. Not been around that area for a good few years but always loved mooching around borough market.

Tbh, you aren’t going to go massively wrong with wherever you choose tbh.

Just note that, Palace, millwall, QPR, and charlton are all at home on Saturday so could be very busy with supporters

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
Yossarian
March 4, 2024, 9:43am
Snakebite drinker
Living down here in London the Wimbledon and Sutton games this week are one of my few chances to see Town...

I had assumed most tickets are just QR Code generated - but appears the shop is sending out physical tickets....

Is this the usual process?  Seems a bit old-school....

I see Wimbledon I can buy on the door so no drama.... but seems a bit old-tech to have physical tickets... I went to Welling v Truro the other night and even they had e-tickets
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
LH
March 4, 2024, 9:59am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,526
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Yossarian
Living down here in London the Wimbledon and Sutton games this week are one of my few chances to see Town...

I had assumed most tickets are just QR Code generated - but appears the shop is sending out physical tickets....

I see Wimbledon I can buy on the door so no drama.... but seems a bit old-tech to have physical tickets... I went to Welling v Truro the other night and even they had e-tickets

This is the club that released a DVD in Feb 2024 that you’re talking about isn’t it?
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Son of Cod
March 4, 2024, 11:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Yossarian

Think it's something to do with EFL clubs and how they do tickets as there were loads of clubs doing QR codes in the NL season. Funnily enough, last season's Wimbledon tickets were QR codes that were on sheets of A4 printed paper that were sent via post if you weren't able to collect from BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
GrimRob
March 4, 2024, 12:04pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
There's obviously an incentive to produce paper tickets as money can be made on postage. The clubs even post qr codes on occasion!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 28
The Caterham Mariner
March 4, 2024, 4:15pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
There's obviously an incentive to produce paper tickets as money can be made on postage. The clubs even post qr codes on occasion!

Me i am a dinosaur that still likes to get old fashioned  tickets through the door and stick them on plate rack ready for use.
As i type  Wimbledon & Sutton stood ready to go
QR code tickets my sons photo shop for me so all i have to is pull up the photo, rather than go searching retrieving it somewhere on my phone. It is what it is .
I get there in the end UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
March 5, 2024, 8:50am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
Re Sutton - can you pay on the day? Also, looking at their site, you can get a bus (413 or 80) from Morden to Gander Green Lane (runs by ground)?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
March 5, 2024, 11:10am
Guest User
I see Millwall are at home to Birmingham.

London Bridge could get a bit lively.

I'm going via Victoria. The Victoria line down from Kings Cross is rapid.
Reply: 19 - 28
Yossarian
March 5, 2024, 11:26am
Snakebite drinker
Re Sutton - can you pay on the day? Also, looking at their site, you can get a bus (413 or 80) from Morden to Gander Green Lane (runs by ground)?

Yes, you can.  Was reading on their website - so I'll be doing that as well.  

https://www.suttonunited.net/tickets/stadiumticket-information/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
Northbank Mariner
March 5, 2024, 11:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,459
Gold Stars: 171
I'll be driving all the way, looked at stopping north of London but its quicker to whip round on the M25 tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
March 5, 2024, 3:21pm
Guest User
700-800 to this? A decent result tonight might add a few.
Reply: 22 - 28
Yossarian
March 5, 2024, 3:59pm
Snakebite drinker
In terms of pubs, it is a few years since I ventured to that part of London, but any feelers for where people would be hanging out?  I've not had the pleasure of this particular "stadium"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
The Caterham Mariner
March 5, 2024, 4:00pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from 140381
700-800 to this? A decent result tonight might add a few.

Indeed in turn "beef up!" The Gillingham  game too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
Poojah
March 5, 2024, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Yossarian
In terms of pubs, it is a few years since I ventured to that part of London, but any feelers for where people would be hanging out?  I've not had the pleasure of this particular "stadium"

I’ve not been to the ground before but I’ve been to Sutton. There ain’t a great lot there. If you’re going on the train, I’d be tempted to get the bulk of your drinking done in central London first. Trains go from St Pancras if memory serves; the Euston Tap’s a nice little spot not far from there.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
LocalLadGTFC
March 5, 2024, 5:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,218
Gold Stars: 137
[quote=140439]In terms of pubs, it is a few years since I ventured to that part of London, but any feelers for where people would be hanging out?  I've not had the pleasure of this particular "stadium"[/quot

Was thinking the same, seems there's little in Sutton and we're driving in
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 28
Marinerdeano
March 5, 2024, 6:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
The Shinner and Sudtone in Sutton is decent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
Yossarian
March 5, 2024, 7:37pm
Snakebite drinker
That looks like a pretty decent boozer MarinerDeano - see you in there at 11am.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sutton Away

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.