Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Vance Warner, March 3, 2024, 8:21am
Just a heads up there’s no Thameslink service from Kings X to Sutton next Saturday. It’s looking like a pretty tricky journey getting there and back. Train tickets are booked so I’ll just have to hope for the best
Posted by: Marinerdeano, March 3, 2024, 8:56am; Reply: 1
I'm going.  I think your best bet is tube Kings x to London Bridge,  then trains from London Bridge to Sutton are regular.  Takes about an hour in total, plus if you are early, great pubs near London Bridge around Borough Market.
Posted by: Mariner56, March 3, 2024, 9:32am; Reply: 2
There are plenty of trains from Victoria to Sutton but West Sutton station which is directly outside the ground, appears to be closed that day.
Posted by: Poojah, March 3, 2024, 9:36am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Marinerdeano
I'm going.  I think your best bet is tube Kings x to London Bridge,  then trains from London Bridge to Sutton are regular.  Takes about an hour in total, plus if you are early, great pubs near London Bridge around Borough Market.

Katzenjammers is a cracking little spot.
Posted by: nigelh, March 3, 2024, 9:39am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Mariner56
There are plenty of trains from Victoria to Sutton but West Sutton station which is directly outside the ground, appears to be closed that day.

Yes. Engineering  works so West Sutton is closed.
Sutton is served by Thameslink and Southern so you should be able to get trains from Victoria, London Bridge , Blackfriars and maybe St Pancras ((Thameslink).
I don't think I can make it, which is a shame as it's one.of the nearer away days from the south  coast
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, March 3, 2024, 10:36am; Reply: 5
Quoted from nigelh

Sutton is served by Thameslink and Southern so you should be able to get trains from Victoria, London Bridge , Blackfriars and maybe St Pancras ((Thameslink).
I don't think I can make it, which is a shame as it's one.of the nearer away days from the south  coast

Me its a bus 407 Caterham to Sutton then a 15 - 20 mins walk .
Your good self train to closest station then bus? Rather than miss out on a game.
Posted by: Yossarian, March 3, 2024, 10:36am; Reply: 6
Yeah i'll  heading borough market for a couple before heading down.  

Sutton is a weird out of the way suburb...i had the 'pleasure' of working on a project there for a year.  
Posted by: Vance Warner, March 3, 2024, 10:44am; Reply: 7
Quoted from nigelh

Cheers for that. It’s looking like Victoria to Sutton and then a bit of a walk to the ground but probably works better for decent pubs anyway
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 3, 2024, 10:59am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Yossarian
Yeah i'll  heading borough market for a couple before heading down.  

Sutton is a weird out of the way suburb...i had the 'pleasure' of working on a project there for a year.  

Yeah when I worked on the road one of my Stores was in Sutton, full of shop lifting scrotes before shop lifting became a recognised past time.
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, March 3, 2024, 11:13am; Reply: 9
Sorry forgot to add for Nigelh's benefit
Train to Purley then bus to Sutton is that an option ? Press post quick before adding.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 3, 2024, 4:52pm; Reply: 10
Drive (From Grantham) to Huntingdon/St Neots, ThamesLinc to London Bridge, Breakfast/Brunch/Lunch/Drink Borough Market, then London Bridge to Sutton for 3 points.
Return journey changing at Norwood Junction.

NB. Only £35 Super Offpeak Return (2+1 with Friends & Family Rail Card) from Huntingdon or St Neats (More than double from Peterborough and a lot more from Grantham). So short drive, and "Let the Train take the strain" as they used to say.
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, March 3, 2024, 6:00pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Drive (From Grantham) to Huntingdon/St Neots, ThamesLinc to London Bridge, Breakfast/Brunch/Lunch/Drink Borough Market, then London Bridge to Sutton for 3 points.
Return journey changing at Norwood Junction.

NB. Only £35 Super Offpeak Return (2+1 with Friends & Family Rail Card) from Huntingdon or St Neats (More than double from Peterborough and a lot more from Grantham). So short drive, and "Let the Train take the strain" as they used to say.

Glad  to see your plan for day out , Yes i live down  here but no way drink down here, The pub round by London Bridge Station sorry i can't remember the name  is ideal real beer no pool tables / juke box/ Karoke machine etc a starting point.
ME its a serious big breakfast at "The Caterham Cafe" then a couple of beer on route via a "Spoons" = whats your cheapest  ale please.
UTM
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 3, 2024, 9:56pm; Reply: 12

Glad  to see your plan for day out , Yes i live down  here but no way drink down here, The pub round by London Bridge Station sorry i can't remember the name  is ideal real beer no pool tables / juke box/ Karoke machine etc a starting point.
ME its a serious big breakfast at "The Caterham Cafe" then a couple of beer on route via a "Spoons" = whats your cheapest  ale please.
UTM

Loads of great pubs around London Bridge tbh. The thameside is a great pub and views right on the Thames. Not been around that area for a good few years but always loved mooching around borough market.

Tbh, you aren’t going to go massively wrong with wherever you choose tbh.

Just note that, Palace, millwall, QPR, and charlton are all at home on Saturday so could be very busy with supporters
Posted by: Yossarian, March 4, 2024, 9:43am; Reply: 13
Living down here in London the Wimbledon and Sutton games this week are one of my few chances to see Town...

I had assumed most tickets are just QR Code generated - but appears the shop is sending out physical tickets....

Is this the usual process?  Seems a bit old-school....

I see Wimbledon I can buy on the door so no drama.... but seems a bit old-tech to have physical tickets... I went to Welling v Truro the other night and even they had e-tickets
Posted by: LH, March 4, 2024, 9:59am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Yossarian
Living down here in London the Wimbledon and Sutton games this week are one of my few chances to see Town...

I had assumed most tickets are just QR Code generated - but appears the shop is sending out physical tickets....

I see Wimbledon I can buy on the door so no drama.... but seems a bit old-tech to have physical tickets... I went to Welling v Truro the other night and even they had e-tickets

This is the club that released a DVD in Feb 2024 that you’re talking about isn’t it?
Posted by: Son of Cod, March 4, 2024, 11:27am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Yossarian

Think it's something to do with EFL clubs and how they do tickets as there were loads of clubs doing QR codes in the NL season. Funnily enough, last season's Wimbledon tickets were QR codes that were on sheets of A4 printed paper that were sent via post if you weren't able to collect from BP.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 4, 2024, 12:04pm; Reply: 16
There's obviously an incentive to produce paper tickets as money can be made on postage. The clubs even post qr codes on occasion!
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, March 4, 2024, 4:15pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob
There's obviously an incentive to produce paper tickets as money can be made on postage. The clubs even post qr codes on occasion!

Me i am a dinosaur that still likes to get old fashioned  tickets through the door and stick them on plate rack ready for use.
As i type  Wimbledon & Sutton stood ready to go
QR code tickets my sons photo shop for me so all i have to is pull up the photo, rather than go searching retrieving it somewhere on my phone. It is what it is .
I get there in the end UTM
Posted by: Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire, March 5, 2024, 8:50am; Reply: 18
Re Sutton - can you pay on the day? Also, looking at their site, you can get a bus (413 or 80) from Morden to Gander Green Lane (runs by ground)?
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), March 5, 2024, 11:10am; Reply: 19
I see Millwall are at home to Birmingham.

London Bridge could get a bit lively.

I'm going via Victoria. The Victoria line down from Kings Cross is rapid.
Posted by: Yossarian, March 5, 2024, 11:26am; Reply: 20
Re Sutton - can you pay on the day? Also, looking at their site, you can get a bus (413 or 80) from Morden to Gander Green Lane (runs by ground)?

Yes, you can.  Was reading on their website - so I'll be doing that as well.  

https://www.suttonunited.net/tickets/stadiumticket-information/

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 5, 2024, 11:39am; Reply: 21
I'll be driving all the way, looked at stopping north of London but its quicker to whip round on the M25 tbh.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), March 5, 2024, 3:21pm; Reply: 22
700-800 to this? A decent result tonight might add a few.
Posted by: Yossarian, March 5, 2024, 3:59pm; Reply: 23
In terms of pubs, it is a few years since I ventured to that part of London, but any feelers for where people would be hanging out?  I've not had the pleasure of this particular "stadium"
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, March 5, 2024, 4:00pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 140381
700-800 to this? A decent result tonight might add a few.

Indeed in turn "beef up!" The Gillingham  game too.

Posted by: Poojah, March 5, 2024, 4:09pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Yossarian
In terms of pubs, it is a few years since I ventured to that part of London, but any feelers for where people would be hanging out?  I've not had the pleasure of this particular "stadium"

I’ve not been to the ground before but I’ve been to Sutton. There ain’t a great lot there. If you’re going on the train, I’d be tempted to get the bulk of your drinking done in central London first. Trains go from St Pancras if memory serves; the Euston Tap’s a nice little spot not far from there.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, March 5, 2024, 5:35pm; Reply: 26
[quote=140439]In terms of pubs, it is a few years since I ventured to that part of London, but any feelers for where people would be hanging out?  I've not had the pleasure of this particular "stadium"[/quot

Was thinking the same, seems there's little in Sutton and we're driving in
Posted by: Marinerdeano, March 5, 2024, 6:55pm; Reply: 27
The Shinner and Sudtone in Sutton is decent.
Posted by: Yossarian, March 5, 2024, 7:37pm; Reply: 28
That looks like a pretty decent boozer MarinerDeano - see you in there at 11am.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 5:42pm