Nelly GTFC
February 17, 2024, 9:17pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,748
Gold Stars: 31
Probally get fedup of me posting these, but . . . in hindsight, maybe the logical thing to do was to wait a few more weeks, to see how Ben and Shaun would get along, on the back of a win and two draws.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 79
February 18, 2024, 8:42am
Guest User
Will we never learn about promoting from inside the club?  I've said before, at this moment in time we do not need an inexperienced pair managing the club, we need someone with experience who can get us out of this mess we are in.
Reply: 31 - 79
Mariner56
February 18, 2024, 8:58am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
If I remember rightly, in league and cup games under S&B:
Played 5, won 2, drawn 3 lost 0 and the MK Dons draw was pretty much down to them too as Artell only came in the day before. I’d take that now, that’s for sure!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 79
pen penfras
February 18, 2024, 9:05am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Mariner56
If I remember rightly, in league and cup games under S&B:
Played 5, won 2, drawn 3 lost 0 and the MK Dons draw was pretty much down to them too as Artell only came in the day before. I’d take that now, that’s for sure!

It's a bit blinkered though. We beat Morecambe which was a good result. The other 4 games were against teams where a win was expected and they only got one.

I'd take draws against FGR and Sutton right now, but let's not pretend they'd be good results
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 79
Mariner56
February 18, 2024, 9:20am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from pen penfras

It's a bit blinkered though. We beat Morecambe which was a good result. The other 4 games were against teams where a win was expected and they only got one.

I'd take draws against FGR and Sutton right now, but let's not pretend they'd be good results

Yes of course, I’m not denying that. However, I’m not convinced if we were to play the same 5 games again under Artell, that we would have the same success, I’d be fearful of even playing Slough at the moment. I’m not trying to say their set of results would have turned us into play off contenders, but at the time they steadied the ship and I would happily take that for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 79
headingly_mariner
February 18, 2024, 9:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
It's really tricky, I feel Artell has to go, it hasn't worked and is getting worse. We would struggle to replace him and I'm fearing a Nicky Law situation.

Shaun and Ben showed that they are a steady hand, the players seemed comfortable and organised under them. But this is a massive job, huge pressure and not how you'd want to start someone's managerial career.

We know they are 2 good characters and good people. I'm not sure their is another option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 79
chaos33
February 18, 2024, 9:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,930
Gold Stars: 360
I do know that Shaun is very popular with the players so that would bring a regrouping and togetherness spirit, which would help, but I don’t think Pearson has his UEFA Pro Licence - although I’m not certain about that, so I don’t know if he could be anything but a caretaker. It’s a tough one because I’m not at all convinced that it’s wise to go into a relegation battle with inexperienced, possibly unqualified caretakers, but you have to balance that with the fact that it is glaringly obvious that it isn’t working with Artell, and I don’t think it can either. Not now. He’s lost pretty much everyone and there’s no sign that he can transform the situation. Quite the opposite in fact. I favour the view that we should end this now, and try to bring in an experienced manager swiftly. If we could do that in 2-3 weeks, we can try to exploit the bounce by the Sutton game. Even if we take a bit longer we will still have 10 or so games to save the season under someone competent who the fans can rally around.

Artell said yesterday that we all must stick together. I get that he’s subconsciously deflecting some responsibility to make it bearable for himself but I don’t believe we can now. Check out the howling boos that greeted every p1ss weak goal we’ve conceded in the last few weeks. The mass desertion of BP after goals 3,4, and 5 yesterday. The body language of the staff,  and confused inept performances from the players. It’s gone, and the owners must act today or tomorrow. It’s a big call but it needs making.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 79
headingly_mariner
February 18, 2024, 9:46am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I do know that Shaun is very popular with the players so that would bring a regrouping and togetherness spirit, which would help, but I don’t think Pearson has his UEFA Pro Licence - although I’m not certain about that, so I don’t know if he could be anything but a caretaker. It’s a tough one because I’m not at all convinced that it’s wise to go into a relegation battle with inexperienced, possibly unqualified caretakers, but you have to balance that with the fact that it is glaringly obvious that it isn’t working with Artell, and I don’t think it can either. Not now. He’s lost pretty much everyone and there’s no sign that he can transform the situation. Quite the opposite in fact. I favour the view that we should end this now, and try to bring in an experienced manager swiftly. If we could do that in 2-3 weeks, we can try to exploit the bounce by the Sutton game. Even if we take a bit longer we will still have 10 or so games to save the season under someone competent who the fans can rally around.

Artell said yesterday that we all must stick together. I get that he’s subconsciously deflecting some responsibility to make it bearable for himself but I don’t believe we can now. Check out the howling boos that greeted every p1ss weak goal we’ve conceded in the last few weeks. The mass desertion of BP after goals 3,4, and 5 yesterday. The body language of the staff,  and confused inept performances from the players. It’s gone and the owners must act today or tomorrow. It’s a big call but it needs making.

It's so tricky and not an easy fix. We run the risk of a Nicky Law situation. I'm not sure what managers would fancy it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 79
chaos33
February 18, 2024, 9:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,930
Gold Stars: 360
It’s an attractive job if you emphasise potential. Get the club safe then start next season with one of the biggest clubs in L2 with all of the opportunities that brings. Look at Barrow and Harrogate up there in the play off picture. Titchy clubs with meagre resources, little stadiums and no fans. Morecambe, Crawley, Accrington….all competitive and in with a shot. This club is a sleeping giant in L2, and a prospective manager would do well to take that meta perspective. Save us from relegation - big tick on your CV, then build your own team under great owners, with big support that can challenge for promotion and not be out of place in L1. I get that it’s risky if you don’t pull off the escape bit in the short term, but if you’re out of work, what have you got to lose?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 79
headingly_mariner
February 18, 2024, 10:01am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
It’s an attractive job if you emphasise potential. Get the club safe then start next season with one of the biggest clubs in L2 with all of the opportunities that brings. Look at Barrow and Harrogate up there in the play off picture. Titchy clubs with meagre resources, little stadiums and no fans. Morecambe, Crawley, Accrington….all competitive and in with a shot. This club is a sleeping giant in L2, and a prospective manager would do well to take that meta perspective. Save us from relegation - big tick on your CV, then build your own team under great owners, with big support that can challenge for promotion and not be out of place in L1. I get that it’s risky if you don’t pull off the escape bit in the short term, but if you’re out of work, what have you got to lose?

There's a lot to lose if you come in and can't turn it around, anyone with a good reputation is unlikely to risk it.
Can't sign anyone and we are in free fall. You're only taking this if you're desperate. Our relegation on your CV is a career killer. We are a different prospect safe and in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Give Pearson and Davies the job

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.