5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
February 1, 2024, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
Another letter in the Guardian from Jason. Click on if you want to read it.

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....ort-rule-unto-itself

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2024, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB
Another letter in the Guardian from Jason. Click on if you want to read it.

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....ort-rule-unto-itself

I read that this morning, and I think the conclusion was you cannot "overlay" standard succesful business practice onto a football club, as the industry is so unique. I would have thought that obvious myself but it will be interesting to see if he changes his approach to anything in the months ahead.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
cardiffmariner
February 1, 2024, 1:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
I agree that he does seem to be presenting the obvious, just in a slightly academic manner. That football as an industry (which of course it never started as) is different from your average industry out there isn’t really news.

Presenting the blindingly obvious as if it’s some kind of earth-shattering insight is, by and large, what most of the media around football is based on. We’re just as guilty of it as fans sometimes!

Always worth a read when it’s from someone genuinely embedded in the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
Azimuth
February 1, 2024, 2:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Does this mean that B Corp isnt particularly relevent or useful in the Football "industry"?
I ask because Jason talks about the practice of selling players against their will, and the transfer of contracts for fees, I would assume this goes against the grain of everything B Corp status stands for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2024, 2:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
As usual, a very interesting read but I'm surprised that, as a fan, he hadn't worked this out before.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
It Bites
February 1, 2024, 2:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265
I’d rather read the Lords Prayer backwards
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
Maringer
February 1, 2024, 2:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,544
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Azimuth
Does this mean that B Corp isnt particularly relevent or useful in the Football "industry"?
I ask because Jason talks about the practice of selling players against their will, and the transfer of contracts for fees, I would assume this goes against the grain of everything B Corp status stands for.

Have GTFC (whose owners want to become a B Corp) tried to sell any players against their will? Nope.

The B Corp thing is partially about treating staff and customers fairly regardless of the industry. Why would one company behaving badly (as many do), mean that others in the same industry couldn't behave in a better manner? Just because we're trying to get B Corp status, doesn't mean that other football clubs have to do the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 1, 2024, 3:25pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +847
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from It Bites
I’d rather read the Lords Prayer backwards

In Japanese...........................

.............................in a dark room

.................................................................with hundreds of poisonous snakes

...............................................................................................................and a uzi 9mm pointed at your head with a movement sensor on it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
It Bites
February 1, 2024, 3:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265

In Japanese...........................

.............................in a dark room

.................................................................with hundreds of poisonous snakes

...............................................................................................................and a uzi 9mm pointed at your head with a movement sensor on it?

Absolutely
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
diehardmariner
February 1, 2024, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Great, I was only thinking this morning it's a while since we've had a debate on what B Corp actually is and how we can use a made up understanding of what it is to bash the club with.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason's Latest

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.