12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
January 31, 2024, 9:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
I suspect that Hunt will be on a fair whack, given that he moved down a couple of divisions when he signed for us. Just guesswork, however.

Efete is undoubtedly a better defender than Mullarkey, but his touch and passing ability is pretty poor. He was OK for a place in the team when we had a physical presence up front and he could whack it upfield, but we're not trying to play that way. I can see why we might be happy for him to move on and he'll go with my best wishes if he does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 110
diehardmariner
January 31, 2024, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
I think that's a fair assessment on Efete and I'm surprised Artell is sticking with Mullarkey despite the fact he's really struggling.  As with Hunt, Waterfall, Amos, Khan, Holohan etc.  If players have gone/are going then I'm comfortable with that, as long as we can bring in improvements on them.

I'm honestly a bit sick of seeing players moved on and then failing to upgrade.  
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 110
pontoonlew
January 31, 2024, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think that's a fair assessment on Efete and I'm surprised Artell is sticking with Mullarkey despite the fact he's really struggling.  As with Hunt, Waterfall, Amos, Khan, Holohan etc.  If players have gone/are going then I'm comfortable with that, as long as we can bring in improvements on them.

With Efete you’d presume Artell feels he can’t play the attacking football he wants to with him in at RB. He slows down so many of our attacks by checking back constantly or losing the ball completely. It’s odd because he looked okay going forward when he first joined.

Mullarkey playing just strikes me as the better of two pretty poor options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 110
Corkyefes
January 31, 2024, 10:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Maringer
I suspect that Hunt will be on a fair whack, given that he moved down a couple of divisions when he signed for us. Just guesswork, however.

Efete is undoubtedly a better defender than Mullarkey, but his touch and passing ability is pretty poor. He was OK for a place in the team when we had a physical presence up front and he could whack it upfield, but we're not trying to play that way. I can see why we might be happy for him to move on and he'll go with my best wishes if he does.

I would rather have Efete playing right back than Mullarkey.
The first job of being a right back is to defend well and not to get beat and it happens far to many times with Toby.

Weve conceeded 51 goals already this season compared to a total of 56 conceeded in the whole of last season.
Ultimatley the changes in defense has been Mullarkey and Rodgers. Two players I simply dont rate.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 110
Hagrid
January 31, 2024, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,484
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from pontoonlew

With Efete you’d presume Artell feels he can’t play the attacking football he wants to with him in at RB. He slows down so many of our attacks by checking back constantly or losing the ball completely. It’s odd because he looked okay going forward when he first joined.

Mullarkeys primary job is a defender, Something he is a liability at, I'm amazed he's been given as much leeway by Artell as he has.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 110
Mikey_345
January 31, 2024, 10:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from pontoonlew

Agree, it's the biggest frustration I have with Efete. When he has the ball up the pitch I find myself endlessly thinking 'go on then, have a go'.

I'm at the stage thought that I think I'd prefer him to be playing rather than Mullarkey at the minute..

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 110
ancientmariner54
January 31, 2024, 10:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from 123614

And you think Hunt would be the answer?  Hurst didn't fancy him, DA doesn't fancy him and he is inconsistent.  Why do you think he has been released if he's that good?

I think Hunt would be the answer , best footballer at the club I.m.o.  U.T.M.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 110
LocalLadGTFC
January 31, 2024, 10:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Hagrid

Mullarkeys primary job is a defender, Something he is a liability at, I'm amazed he's been given as much leeway by Artell as he has.

The worst thing is, he claims his best position is a centre half. You'd of thought it'd be the other way around.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 67 - 110
Poojah
January 31, 2024, 10:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from diehardmariner

It’s a real challenging time to try and bring in marked improvements; both the time of year and the fact that we are struggling. No player wants a non-league relegation on their CV.

If go back to this time 3 years ago, when we played Leyton Orient a few weeks after the window closed, there were 8 new players in the starting lineup and a further 3 on the bench. Of those 11 players, only Jay Matete was a standout improvement on what we had, with honourable mentions going to Giles Coke, Jake Eastwood and LJL (though let’s be honest, I would have improved our striking options at that moment in time).

As Hurst learned the hard way, performing major surgery mid-season is no easy task, and by the time we recorded our last win of the season against Bolton, he was getting more joy out of players that were already here and only 5 “new” players made appearances. And, generally, they were the more sensible ones too - Menayese, Habergham, Coke, Matete and LJL.

I’m not trying to play down the need to try and improve our options, but with limited time and seemingly limited spare budget, I’d much rather we signed 1 or 2 Jay Matete’s than 7 Joe Adams’ / Joe Bunney’s / Julian Lamy’s. Individually, I don’t think the players we have are as anywhere near as bad as recent performances suggest; it’s up to the manager to find a couple of shrewd additions and breathe some calm and sense into the collective output.

Can Artell do that? I suppose we’ll find out over the course of the next 3 - 5 weeks.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 110
marinerjase
January 31, 2024, 11:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,678
Gold Stars: 147
Well, my two penneth worth - I’d like Hunt to stay, has some ability but tbh hasn’t shown it more than a handful of times. Gets bullied out games, gives ball away needlessly- but when he does have a good day can open teams up with his ‘vision’. I’m kind of in the side of ‘not done enough’ (know he’s been in and out of side etc, not had a run) - and he’s in danger of falling by the wayside career wise. If it doesn’t work out here (if he stays for duration of contract) then there’s only one way he’s going..and it’s not up. Huge year for him imho. However, IF the Carlisle rumour is true (I’m very much doubtful) - then he’s very very fortunate in been given yet another opportunity to kick start career. Hope he stays and turns it around here - but wouldn’t lose any sleep either if went elsewhere, may be what he needs.

Efete.. bit of an enigma.. think he’s had a bit of unfair stick/not given a chance by some supporters - but hugely frustrating. Undoubtedly has ability - but looking from outside in - not sure he believes it. Has all the attributes..build.. physique..not slow..but rarely uses them. Appears to need to be ‘talked’ through games, anything on instinct ..not going to happen. Not the best physically in challenges, for aforementioned build, and of course the annoying habit of turning back all the time, when opportunity to go forward arises. Again, possibly down to confidence issues?? Another who you’d want to stay, even if to prove folk wrong..but looks likely he’s not part of the managers plans..so maybe a nice best for all parties. He’s another who needs to appreciate it’s a quick slide down to lower levels though..would be a shame because I feel he has attributes/ability to be a Football League player.

Some of the other on top of my head ..Wilson..can score, rarely features, often injured..sometimes maybe just in head as ex manager alluded to. He’s looked better coming off the bench, when he starts games he’s looked average at best. Can we afford to carry passengers?? For me - another probably best going elsewhere.

Danny Amos..done a decent job for us, likeable, huge part of recent ‘successes’ - but again injuries etc and not in managers plans..hope he can get fixed up somewhere and wish him well.

Mullarkey and Glennon ..prob both a feature in why we’re struggling defensively, and what they’re being asked to do..

Rogers been hugely disappointing after a bright start, Maher has done ‘ok’ ..nothing more.. centre mid we’ve nothing..(hence if Hunt stays hope he can turn it around) - but the likes of Green, Andrews et al nowhere near good enough. Clifton - not had a good season, still don’t know his best position, we may get offers end of season, May not - but if he’s here it’s for his attitude/versatility/stamina - no bad things at all..just need to work out where he’s best placed to get best out of him, or use him as a versatility player/back up.

Vernam ..needs to stay fit..has the asset of pace, big attribute at this level, but does he produce?? Question marks for me but a season left to make it work. Eisa ..had some flak recently..but overall he’s probably done better than most expected when he signed..room for improvement definitely but one to persevere with for me.

Danny Rose..done far far better than I imagined, great attitude/work rate - hope he’s here next season with better side/support around him.

Pyke..another who’s got ‘something’ but regularly injured..wouldn’t lose sleep if went.

Just a few off top of my head - but shows maybe the massive job needed between now and August to give Artell a chance moving forward.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.