Swansea_Mariner
January 31, 2024, 9:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from HerveJosse
This he’s to good for this level arguement is for the fairies. I don’t remember ageing Futcher , Birtles , Whywark  , Beassnt, Todd etc dropping down and not being able to play at this level

Still if he was good enough you'd have expected him to make more than single figure appearances over multipleseasons, also nobody else at that level was interested enough to pick him up instead of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 110
Theimperialcoroner
January 31, 2024, 9:20pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from HerveJosse
This he’s to good for this level arguement is for the fairies. I don’t remember ageing Futcher , Birtles , Whywark  , Beassnt, Todd etc dropping down and not being able to play at this level

For a start the latter three didn’t, they played second tier. The other two were not anywhere near as slight as Hunt. They were also miles better than him too

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 110
HerveJosse
January 31, 2024, 10:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

For a start the latter three didn’t, they played second tier. The other two were not anywhere near as slight as Hunt. They were also miles better than him too

My point is if you are a good player playing below your level is not a problem whatever it is .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 110
Theimperialcoroner
January 31, 2024, 11:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from HerveJosse

My point is if you are a good player playing below your level is not a problem whatever it is .

You just illustrated it really badly, is that what you’re saying?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 110
LocalLadGTFC
January 31, 2024, 11:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
Good players find space, look at Elliot Embleton when he came here. Looked a class above every single time he stepped foot on the pitch and he was roughly the same size as Hunt.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 104 - 110
diehardmariner
February 1, 2024, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Embelton is a very, very high bar to compare anyone at this level with.  But it's a good point.    If you're good enough, you'll stand out at any level including those below you.  The reason aging players can drop down the levels even though their legs are going is because their train of thought is so much quicker.  First two yards in your head and all that...

That said I can understand what people are saying about perhaps Hunt would be better suited at a higher level.

Ironically, admittingly as a fully fledged Alex Hunt Fan Club member, I've always thought finding space was something he's very good at, especially when playing further forward.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 110
LocalLadGTFC
February 1, 2024, 10:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from diehardmariner
Embelton is a very, very high bar to compare anyone at this level with.  But it's a good point.    If you're good enough, you'll stand out at any level including those below you.  The reason aging players can drop down the levels even though their legs are going is because their train of thought is so much quicker.  First two yards in your head and all that...

That said I can understand what people are saying about perhaps Hunt would be better suited at a higher level.

Ironically, admittingly as a fully fledged Alex Hunt Fan Club member, I've always thought finding space was something he's very good at, especially when playing further forward.

Yeah I totally understand the reasoning behind it, look at MK's pitch compared to ours and the space you get on the ball but you either need to be lucky whilst you're at one of them clubs i.e Harry Kane and take your chance when you get it or perform whilst you're out on loan or in these divisions and earn your chance. Hunt clearly hasn't done either which is a shame because there's quite obviously a talented player there.. his technique to deliver set pieces in that conference season was so pinpoint. The LW header at home against Wrexham was magical.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 106 - 110
TownSNAFU5
February 1, 2024, 10:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
I am a fan of Hunt as well.  Although not sure why looking at the evidence.  He was better when here on loan (as others in the past have been).  He takes a mean free kick.  

A frustrating player that should produce more than he does.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 110
diehardmariner
February 1, 2024, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Both excellent points on him.  I can't remember who said it someone said in the last few days that they feel that they've become more a fan of the idea of him succeeding than actually a fan of him.  The more I think about it, the more I think I'm in that camp too.

I do believe that he has the talent a) to build an attacking base around and b) to perhaps indulge a little with his flaws, such as his slightly wasteful nature with the ball. Making ourselves very comfortable that 50% of his passes might not come to anything, but put him in a position on the pitch where we've plenty of opportunities to recover and there's enough players around him to do that actual recovery.  That's not to suggest he's a lazy player of the luxury sense either.  He's neither Scott Neilson or Jordan Maguire-Drew, he's obviously prepared to put a shift in and get stuck in.  The other 50% of his passes that do come to something, well they're what we base our attacking play around (or at least a lot of it).

Something, quite clearly, isn't quite right though.  With Hurst I can almost forgive and understand his reluctance.  Neilson, Maguire-Drew...plus others have found themselves signed by Hurst and then not trusted.   But Artell came in with a reputation of expansive play, he described our style as 'meh', he described Hunt as 'pivotal' moving forward.  Hunt should be the player that Artell clocked on Day One and said 'yep, he's the focal point'.  But very quickly he looks to have identified that he isn't.  

Hopefully, this transfer talk is shite.  Artell reviews the last midfield performance and puts Hunt in on Saturday, he plays a blinder and we base our future development around him.  It just doesn't look likely, does it?
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 110
Brazilnut
February 1, 2024, 11:47pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
So he has not gone then ?

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.