Mappers
January 12, 2024, 1:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from jamesgtfc

To be honest with you Ginny, I like what I hear from Artell in general. I think he gives good, honest interviews and is an open book. Maybe a bit too open at times as I wasn't comfortable with his assertion that we definitely won't get relegated. I'm all for us playing attractive football going forward, and hopefully the business that we do this month allows us to move towards that more consistently so that we can push on in the summer and not be having discussions like this again in 12 months time.

I will only judge Artell on whether he keeps us up this season which he is accountable for , then if he does that walk the walk next season ; as in top 10 minimum which should be a relatively achievable if the league empties out of many big spenders .

We need substance over style in the short term , if he can get a mixture of both that equates to us staying up then great ; if it sacrifices our league status then obviously we have to revert to whatever keeps us up , hopefully he recognises this .

We have heard managers talk the talk many times in the past and ultimately it doesn't matter what they say (we have a list of our own who had nice interview styles )  but what he get's out of the players is key  I'm very much on the fence either way as surely most with a more balanced view must be with such a short spell in charge so far.

We need to get to 40 odd points asap and then hopefully Artell can create the team he wants .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 106
GrimPol
January 12, 2024, 1:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -668
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from jamesgtfc

To be honest with you Ginny, I like what I hear from Artell in general. I think he gives good, honest interviews and is an open book. Maybe a bit too open at times as I wasn't comfortable with his assertion that we definitely won't get relegated. I'm all for us playing attractive football going forward, and hopefully the business that we do this month allows us to move towards that more consistently so that we can push on in the summer and not be having discussions like this again in 12 months time.

"I wasn't comfortable with his assertion that we definitely won't get relegated"  Would you be more comfortable if he said "we got a good chance of going down"??? Maybe he believes we are staying up, I do.

"not be having discussions like this again in 12 months time"   Discussions are endless.   -Trigger Warning- When we do stay up, the next moan, sorry, discussion, will be that our style doesn't entertain us.

Football is a drug, you want the next fix, and if your dreams are fulfilled and you get promoted, you want the next promotion and in "style" this time. Never ending.
Hell, You can even Over Dose as in 2026 WC there will be 48 teams, playing 102 matches over 39 days.

We are not getting relegated, and next season we will do much better.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 106
sam gy
January 12, 2024, 1:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Artell's first two seasons with Crewe he finished 15th, then 12th and in his third season 2nd (on average points due to covid but i believe they were 1st at the time it ended?)

We MAY have to wait a while to achieve this top ten spot that a lot of people want at the least, but it doesnt necessarily mean we won't be on the right track...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 106
sam gy
January 12, 2024, 1:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I do think people read far too much into all comments made in interviews too tbh. People are uncomfortable with Artell's belief that we won't get relegated, whilst at the same time others are moaning on Twitter because Gav Holohan admitted that it'll be a tough test against Notts county.

Can't please everyone!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 106
Poojah
January 12, 2024, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,547
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Mappers

I will only judge Artell on whether he keeps us up this season which he is accountable for , then if he does that walk the walk next season ; as in top 10 minimum which should be a relatively achievable if the league empties out of many big spenders .

On paper, next season's League Two does look like it has the potential to be considerably easier, or at least less minted than this, assuming we can stay in it. Three or four of Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield, Notts County and MK Dons going up would be a good start, and provided Reading continue to pull away from danger following their points deduction, those coming down from League One look likely to be fairly traditional bottom-tier types. I assume Fleetwood are now in all kinds of trouble after their owner was jailed.

Salford and Forest Green both going down would be handy too, though I suspect only on will; probably Forest Green under thick as mince Troy Deeney.

The annual Chesterfield implosion in the National League looks highly unlikely this season; they'll walk it from here, so that's something to take into account. Whoever comes up with them will be significantly less well heeled, mind.

Ultimately, if we can get out shít together enough to avoid a third non-league relegation, there should be no room for excuses next season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 106
AdamHaddock
January 12, 2024, 4:01pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Three signings just announced on the club's Facebook

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 106
CSLM
January 12, 2024, 9:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +640
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Poojah

On paper, next season's League Two does look like it has the potential to be considerably easier, or at least less minted than this, assuming we can stay in it. Three or four of Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield, Notts County and MK Dons going up would be a good start, and provided Reading continue to pull away from danger following their points deduction, those coming down from League One look likely to be fairly traditional bottom-tier types. I assume Fleetwood are now in all kinds of trouble after their owner was jailed.

Salford and Forest Green both going down would be handy too, though I suspect only on will; probably Forest Green under thick as mince Troy Deeney.

The annual Chesterfield implosion in the National League looks highly unlikely this season; they'll walk it from here, so that's something to take into account. Whoever comes up with them will be significantly less well heeled, mind.

Ultimately, if we can get out shít together enough to avoid a third non-league relegation, there should be no room for excuses next season.

I agree with that but it is still quite a jump from where we are now to the top 10. Actually saying that it actually isn't Haha.

I don't think we will go down for 1 minute. Next season, really hard to say. I reckon somewhere between 5th and 16th. Not very bold I know. Still think we do have potential in this squad and Artell seems like a winner to me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 106
jamesgtfc
January 12, 2024, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GrimPol

"I wasn't comfortable with his assertion that we definitely won't get relegated"  Would you be more comfortable if he said "we got a good chance of going down"??? Maybe he believes we are staying up, I do.

"not be having discussions like this again in 12 months time"   Discussions are endless.   -Trigger Warning- When we do stay up, the next moan, sorry, discussion, will be that our style doesn't entertain us.

Football is a drug, you want the next fix, and if your dreams are fulfilled and you get promoted, you want the next promotion and in "style" this time. Never ending.
Hell, You can even Over Dose as in 2026 WC there will be 48 teams, playing 102 matches over 39 days.

We are not getting relegated, and next season we will do much better.  UTM

I would have been more comfortable if he said "I don't think we will get relegated" rather than state that we definitely wouldn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 106
January 13, 2024, 3:01am
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I would have been more comfortable if he said "I don't think we will get relegated" rather than state that we definitely wouldn't.

I understand what you're saying, but it seems clear that part of the task the ExtraSpecialOne has is to liberate the thinking of the team so the players can perform without fear on the pitch.

I took the quote in that context - rather than an attempt to reassure the fanbase.

FWIW I agree with him.

UTM
Reply: 88 - 106
jamesgtfc
January 13, 2024, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mappers

We need substance over style in the short term , if he can get a mixture of both that equates to us staying up then great ; if it sacrifices our league status then obviously we have to revert to whatever keeps us up , hopefully he recognises this .

We have heard managers talk the talk many times in the past and ultimately it doesn't matter what they say (we have a list of our own who had nice interview styles )  but what he get's out of the players is key  I'm very much on the fence either way as surely most with a more balanced view must be with such a short spell in charge so far.

We need to get to 40 odd points asap and then hopefully Artell can create the team he wants .

You have hit the nail on the head, Mappers. Reach a more comfortable points tally and then experiment. The mental fragility of the squad needs addressing, and risking getting hammered every week isn't going to help that. If Waterfall took down his man for the Walsall first, I think we would have seen that game out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Welcome Harry Wood

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.