6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
January 6, 2024, 9:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Signed by MKD from Gateshead on a long term contract for an undisclosed after scoring 11 in first half of season all according to BBC. One that didn’t get much of a chance here partly down to injury but also Hurst just didn’t seem to want to pick him. Only 23 and may turn out to be one that got away
Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner91
January 6, 2024, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
In his first few games here he really looked like he had something and I was quite excited about him as a signing. For whatever reason it didn't work out here but good luck to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 6, 2024, 10:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Bit like Orsi sometimes you don’t appreciate what you have until it’s gone. Still baffles me why Orsi didn’t get more game time with us, 15 goals so far this season and think him and Rose would have been a great partnership.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
sonofmadeleymariner
January 6, 2024, 10:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Another one who looked like he had the football coached out of him when he was here.Looked a bright spark first few appearances and then looked a shell of that player by the time he left

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
gytone
January 6, 2024, 10:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
Bit like Orsi, never given a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2024, 10:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Former player moves to another club initiates another round of Hurst bashing 😴

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
HerveJosse
January 6, 2024, 11:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Wearne, Orsi and Manny have scored 37 goals so far this season. Mcatee is thriving at Barnsley. Are we just unlucky or is there a pattern.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
Sir Matt Tease
January 6, 2024, 11:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +290
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Former player moves to another club initiates another round of Hurst bashing 😴

And well deserved, Hurst seemed to have a knack of coaching any modicum of skill or creativity out of players in order to fit his boring defensive approach.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2024, 11:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

And well deserved, Hurst seemed to have a knack of coaching any modicum of skill or creativity out of players in order to fit his boring defensive approach.

Like McAtee?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
Yoda
January 7, 2024, 12:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,141
Gold Stars: 71
Hurst has a habit of dropping players he did it with Boggle and Amond but they came through it.
The younger players maybe get a bit disillusioned with it and it knocks their confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
RichMariner
January 7, 2024, 1:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
It doesn't surprise me that they're thriving elsewhere. Hurst always could spot a striker.

His trouble, as others have said, was getting the best out of them. I think it's fair to say we didn't play to their strengths, particularly towards the end of his tenure.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
Mappers
January 7, 2024, 2:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst has a habit of dropping players he did it with Boggle and Amond but they came through it.
The younger players maybe get a bit disillusioned with it and it knocks their confidence.

You are getting worryingly more sensible than the 'Day Cup'  times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
Maringer
January 7, 2024, 7:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from HerveJosse
Wearne, Orsi and Manny have scored 37 goals so far this season. Mcatee is thriving at Barnsley. Are we just unlucky or is there a pattern.

We don't need players capable of scoring goals in the Conference. We need them capable of scoring goals in the League as, admittedly, Orsi is doing this season.

I wasn't too bothered when Orsi was allowed to leave as I wasn't overly impressed with him from his performances in the League. However, I did assume that we would sign enough strikers after he left, and we didn't! He wouldn't displace Rose from the team, but would surely have been able to play off him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
It Bites
January 7, 2024, 8:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
You can add Andy Cook
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
pizzzza
January 7, 2024, 8:39am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst has a habit of dropping players he did it with Boggle

The mind boggles.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Withnail
January 7, 2024, 8:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Players leave (insert club) for a variety of reasons. McAtee to further his career higher up the pyramid, Orsi no doubt wanted a southern based club, while Wearne was getting no game time (as was the case with Orsi to a lesser extent).

No club is going to concede that a player wants away for whatever reason, as it's not a good look.

That said, I'd love the above players,  plus Cook, to still be with us.  

We had some decent strikers during Hurst's tenure - Podge, Bogle, Thomas, Hearn, Hamnah, who all thrived so I don't buy the argument he had a problem with them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
mariner83
January 7, 2024, 10:18am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst has a habit of dropping players he did it with Boggle

The mind Bogles
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 10:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
We don’t have a game this weekend so the Hurst bashing in inevitable and like every manager that has managed any club some of it at some point will be warranted, so this isn’t really a post about Hurst it’s about context.

At this stage in the case of Wearne was it truly a massive mistake to let him go at the point in time he left the club?

He came to the club with no EFL experience was involved then got injured, he found it hard to get a place in the side so we sent him on loan for a few games, credit to the lad as the loan was miles away. Clearly the lad can play, generally professional footballers can.

When the lad came back he couldn’t establish himself in the side. Remember it’s not a seasoned pro who had a record of impacting games & performing well week in week out that came back from his loan so not an instant starter.

Young players need week in week out football to develop and we just couldn’t guarantee him that so a move back down a league has clearly worked to develop him and now he gets his go again in the EFL, it happens loads at many clubs. Good luck to him I hope he does well.

Allowing Wearne to leave to develop was actually a good move by Hurst for the player as he’s back on track. He could have stayed & been in & out for the rest of his deal, is that a good thing in reality? Though we don’t pay loads I’m sure he would have earned more with us than Gateshead.

He could have stayed & been the next McAtee but Hurst like many L2 managers didn’t have that luxury of time to see what happens.

Stephen Wearne deserves success as he’s put himself out to establish himself if he quickly recreates his recent NL form in the EFL then maybe we’ve missed an opportunity, it happens.

Orsi is one that I find difficult to understand the context of unless there was a clear desire from him to return South.

Firstly credit to him prior to a couple of good performances in the cup & “that” back injury at Southampton many of the Fishy posters who are slagging Hurst off for letting him go thought he was a donkey, changing the opinion of on line experts is a really big achievement no matter how average in reality a player has been on the pitch.

Where I don’t get the Orsi move was that he was an option that we don’t appear to have in attack and unlike the example of Wearne had to a degree proved he CDAJATL and his move to Crawley has proved that for sure. I thought at the time letting Orsi go was a poor decision as we’d not brought in better.

Every manager will make what the supporters see as a “mistake” when a player moves on especially when you consider the way the market works & the amount of moves each window.

Another thing to note is that at times we’ve benefitted as a poster notes above but maybe it’s not as evident as other clubs as for a lot of years we’ve had a revolving door & been stop - start - refresh & reboot most seasons.

We can only sustain a certain amount of pros at the club so our manager whoever it is will be limited on how long he has to establish a player, this means players will leave again & do well elsewhere it happens across football & will continue to happen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
Poojah
January 7, 2024, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Withnail
Players leave (insert club) for a variety of reasons. McAtee to further his career higher up the pyramid, Orsi no doubt wanted a southern based club, while Wearne was getting no game time (as was the case with Orsi to a lesser extent).

No club is going to concede that a player wants away for whatever reason, as it's not a good look.

That said, I'd love the above players,  plus Cook, to still be with us.  

We had some decent strikers during Hurst's tenure - Podge, Bogle, Thomas, Hearn, Hamnah, who all thrived so I don't buy the argument he had a problem with them.

I think you could probably add Lennie to that list, though I realise that’s a bit more contentious.

Not sure if you’re referring to Aswad Thomas, who was a left-back, or Wes Thomas, who was signed and binned off by Jolley a long time before Hurst came the second time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 10:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I think you could probably add Lennie to that list, though I realise that’s a bit more contentious.

Not sure if you’re referring to Aswad Thomas, who was a left-back, or Wes Thomas, who was signed and binned off by Jolley a long time before Hurst came the second time.

I’m sure quite a few Scunny supporters thought it was a mistake to let McAtee go to Grimsby.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
HerveJosse
January 7, 2024, 10:48am
Champagne Drinker
Orsi was given 5 League starts and Wearne 2 . To say they left for reasons other then they were not wanted is hard to believe. Mcatee was out of sorts and favour at times in his second season here and some  on here were question if he was a flash in the pan / good enough for League 2 . As  this me passes it becomes clearer to me that Hurst was dogmatic set in his ways to get the best out of creative players. Artell said after a couple of games he had told the players they needed to take risks .. I think the relevance now is it is going to take a long time to sort out and whether just a change of manager and not just the coaching staff is enough is open to question at least
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 10:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
Orsi was given 5 League starts and Wearne 2 . To say they left for reasons other then they were not wanted is hard to believe. Mcatee was out of sorts and favour at times in his second season here and some  on here were question if he was a flash in the pan / good enough for League 2 . As  this me passes it becomes clearer to me that Hurst was dogmatic set in his ways to get the best out of creative players. Artell said after a couple of games he had told the players they needed to take risks .. I think the relevance now is it is going to take a long time to sort out and whether just a change of manager and not just the coaching staff is enough is open to question at least

I think that dogmatic approach is something that led to Hurst sticking with selection based on what he knew rather than what he could find out I think that was evident in both his spells with the club.

I’m sure he’ll look back on his time at the club and measure it on 2 promotions from the hardest league to get out of, a couple of tin pot trophy Wembley days out for success starved supporters & the best cup run since Adolf started his uninvited tour of Europe.

Supporters will measure his time on what they believe he didn’t do and the “obvious opportunities” he missed at the time. Why? Because it’s Hurst and he cupped his ear or whatever excuse people need these days.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
January 7, 2024, 11:03am
Guest User
I wonder if the Stevenage or Northampton forums have a thread saying how much of a mistake it was to get rid of Danny Rose?

Or is it just us that can't let go of fantasizing about ex players?
Reply: 22 - 55
Withnail
January 7, 2024, 11:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Poojah

Good point Poohah, - I was referring to Wes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
HerveJosse
January 7, 2024, 11:37am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 141269
I wonder if the Stevenage or Northampton forums have a thread saying how much of a mistake it was to get rid of Danny Rose?

I think the fact we are constantly told it’s near impossible for us  sign goalscorers and we should accept our place in life at the bottom of the food chain might be the reason some of us feel as we do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 11:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think the fact we are constantly told it’s near impossible for us  sign goalscorers and we should accept our place in life at the bottom of the food chain might be the reason some of us feel as we do.

But we’ve signed one in Rose?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
HerveJosse
January 7, 2024, 11:55am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

But we’ve signed one in Rose?

Exactly .

Add to the others discussed in here and it’s clearly not difficult to sign them . The difficulty has been selecting them and giving them a chance to perform when they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2024, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,983
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 141269

Mansfield might, but Northampton and Stevenage are in League One where Danny Rose isn't as good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 7, 2024, 12:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from 141269

I have a friend who is a Stevenage season ticket holder. He calls Rose a 'Stevenage reject'.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 12:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Exactly .

Add to the others discussed in here and it’s clearly not difficult to sign them . The difficulty has been selecting them and giving them a chance to perform when they are.

I’d agree with that, it’s easier for a manager to integrate a Stephen Wearne into an EFL team if the rest of the squad is of decent consistent quality and contending towards the top of the league. Not as easy if the squad is predominantly a NL level play off winning squad with the odd EFL mis fit added for an EFL campaign

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
January 7, 2024, 1:14pm
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Mansfield might, but Northampton and Stevenage are in League One where Danny Rose isn't as good.

But weren't they both League 2 when he played for them?

Reply: 30 - 55
toontown
January 7, 2024, 1:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
I wasn't impressed with weather at all to be honest when he was here. He did get chances, esp early on, but completely failed to take them. Football is intensely competitive, managers are sacked very quickly these days, when your given a chance you need to grasp it with both hands as you won't keep on being given them if you don't perform. You at least have to show promise if you expect to keep your place.

I thought wearne struggled with the defensive side of his role quite badly, but didn't offer anything much offensively to offset that and was physically lightweight on top of that. It's quite a jump from NL to lg 2, he seems to have done well down there but it doesn't mean he will do in lg 2, of course he may have improved now but I can't disagree with hurst off loading him. When you get players from below plenty won't work out.

For orsi I thought he offered something even if he wasn't great, he showed real promise as a lone striker in the cup run and Hurst admitted he was the most natural goal scorer in the squad. I can understand getting rid if we had better coming in, he was 3rd choice, but we didn't get a better option for lower down our striking pecking order. Pyke might be an ok wide player but, especially as a lone forward which we usually employ he's totally lost at league 2 level. Games against non league opposition or reserves in the pizza trophy are irrelevant. Wilson looks less than orsi in terms of all round play as well, esp as a lone forward, altho he looks to have maybe a similar eye for goal. Overall massive steps backwards by Hurst for our forwards apart from Rose of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2024, 3:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 141269

But weren't they both League 2 when he played for them?

Yes, and my point being that he is a really good player at this level and consistently been a key player for teams challenging at the top end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
RichMariner
January 7, 2024, 3:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Orsi scored one league goal for us. In any other season we'd have been saying good riddance, but he played an important role in our FA Cup run and looked a neat and tidy striker when given the chances. We just weren't a side that created loads of opportunities.

Also — not that many teams play this way any more — I think Orsi would've thrived up front in a two, with someone like Andy Cook. One of our best strike partnerships in non-league was Cook with Hannah. Before that, we had Elding and Hearn.

This modern way of playing still requires an intelligent central striker, but someone who needs to be more rounded in abilities than Orsi. A Gary Jones type player would be brilliant. Ryan Taylor, when fit (and when we weren't just lumping it to him), was decent too, with a clever no. 10 behind and two wide players who know how to get involved.

Rose is a solid central striker but I think he still needs more support from the wide attackers like Eisa and Gnouha, and no one's really making a claim for that no. 10 position in the middle, just behind, a la McAtee.

Wilson, Rose, Pyke and Eisa between them have scored over 30 goals, and they were all signed by Hurst. More proof that he knew what he was signing, at least in the striker signing market. I wonder if we'd be so bothered about Orsi leaving if he hadn't scored that winner against us at BP?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
January 7, 2024, 4:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Yes, and my point being that he is a really good player at this level and consistently been a key player for teams challenging at the top end.

Northampton - 7 goals in 87 appearances
Stevenage - 9 in 52

The stats don't say he has been a good player at this level previously. Yet for us he's on course for player of the season.

Sometimes a player just doesn't fit with a club for whatever reason.
That's how it felt with Orsi and Wearne who are thriving elsewhere.
Nobody to blame I guess. Player doesn't suit the system/system doesn't suit the player.
Reply: 34 - 55
golfer
January 7, 2024, 4:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Bit like Orsi sometimes you don’t appreciate what you have until it’s gone. Still baffles me why Orsi didn’t get more game time with us, 15 goals so far this season and think him and Rose would have been a great partnership.

His hair was too long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
ginnywings
January 7, 2024, 6:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 141269

Northampton - 7 goals in 87 appearances
Stevenage - 9 in 52

The stats don't say he has been a good player at this level previously. Yet for us he's on course for player of the season.

Sometimes a player just doesn't fit with a club for whatever reason.
That's how it felt with Orsi and Wearne who are thriving elsewhere.
Nobody to blame I guess. Player doesn't suit the system/system doesn't suit the player.

The stats say he hasn't scored loads of goals at this level, but that doesn't tell the whole story. There is a reason he plays almost every game for all the clubs he has played for.

Not scoring a shedload of goals for his previous clubs doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

I'd also point out that for us, he is scoring at a level never achieved before, so we must be doing something right. We've got better up front than previous seasons, but have gone backwards at the other end, which is annoying.

With regards to Orsi, there is the opinion that Hurst "got rid of him", when If I remember right, it was more a decision for him wanting more game time, which Hurst couldn't guarantee, and he was never going to be first choice ahead of Rose, which meant he wouldn't be getting started in the system we play with one main striker.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
coddy60
January 7, 2024, 9:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Pretty sure Wearne was the one in the videos, with Mcatee, in Louth. Mcatee fell out of favour for a while and he (Wearne), got shipped out....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2024, 9:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from coddy60
Pretty sure Wearne was the one in the videos, with Mcatee, in Louth. Mcatee fell out of favour for a while and he (Wearne), got shipped out....

Do divulge...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
diehardmariner
January 8, 2024, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from toontown
I wasn't impressed with weather at all to be honest when he was here. He did get chances, esp early on, but completely failed to take them. Football is intensely competitive, managers are sacked very quickly these days, when your given a chance you need to grasp it with both hands as you won't keep on being given them if you don't perform. You at least have to show promise if you expect to keep your place.

I thought wearne struggled with the defensive side of his role quite badly, but didn't offer anything much offensively to offset that and was physically lightweight on top of that. It's quite a jump from NL to lg 2, he seems to have done well down there but it doesn't mean he will do in lg 2, of course he may have improved now but I can't disagree with hurst off loading him. When you get players from below plenty won't work out.

Wearne's start to his Town career went like this:

Orient away - comes on for last 12 with the game gone.
Northampton at home - comes on for last 15 at 1-0 down, Maguire-Drew grabs a late equaliser seconds after coming on.
Crewe at home in cup - Starts and plays full game, scoring the final goal of a 4-0 win.
Rochdale away - starts and plays 75 in a 1-0 win (0-0 when he went off), awful drab game from memory.
Sutton at home - starts and plays 76 minutes in 0-0- draw.  See previous games for entertainment value.
Forest at home in cup - comes on at half-time with Town already 2-0 down.  
Newport away - unused sub
Gillingham at home - comes on for last 10 in a 1-1 draw, no change to score in that time.
Colchester away - unused sub.

Then mainly not in the squad with fleeting bench warming duties until a 15minute cameo at home to Colchester in early November and finally a 4 minute appearance in the 2-0 defeat at Carlisle in early March.

I'm not sure that's a fair crack of the whip.  In very similar style to Alex Hunt, it's a mini-run in the team and axed at the first opportunity.  In that run of 3 starts he scored one and generally looked ok, not amazing just ok.  Albeit it in a side that, especially in those league games, looked pretty dull.  You can cut that two ways of he was part of a side that looked blunt or that you could have put peak-Messi in that set-up and he would have looked ineffectual with his remit of keeping us shape.

You can compare the chances he got to someone like Brendan Kiernan, who played in the positions Wearne occupies.  Kiernan had very limited output to say the least, his performance down the middle against Plymouth aside he looked industrious and then I'm struggling to say much else.  

I think the comparison between the chances afforded to Kiernan and Wearne sums up Hurst's approach towards those more attack minded players.  What I saw of Wearne he wasn't lazy, nor unwilling to do the defensive minded duties (3 consecutive clean sheets in his mini-run of starts) but he was definitely more about going forward than tracking back.  

Would he and can he cut it in League Two, well we don't know but I suspect we're about to find out pretty soon.  As with Orsi, I don't think he got a chance and that's my biggest frustration with Hurst's recruitment since we got back in the league.  He signed Wearne, Orsi and Hunt yet seemed reluctant to give them fair opportunities.  In the case of Wearne he persisted with others who had limited output.  

In terms of Orsi he persisted with McAtee out of position and then Taylor when he wasn't able to produce...then also gave the likes of Kiki Simmonds, Bim Pepple et al chances ahead of him.  Until George Lloyd arrived we looked pretty toothless up top, yet Orsi was afforded just one start until that point (the spineless defeat against Salford at home, naturally dropped the next game)  Why sign these lads in the first place if you're not going to give them more than a smidge of a chance.

Orsi showed what he could do when he had a run in the team.  Not just the cup run but his form and performances at the back end of last season were a huge indication that he could cut it at this level.  
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
Son of Cod
January 8, 2024, 12:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from RichMariner
Rose is a solid central striker but I think he still needs more support from the wide attackers like Eisa and Gnouha, and no one's really making a claim for that no. 10 position in the middle, just behind, a la McAtee.

We haven't played a formation that uses a number 10 all season though and without trying one of the wingers there then the only possible players in the squad that could do that are probably Ainley and Clifton at a push.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
diehardmariner
January 8, 2024, 12:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Gnaouha looked very comfortable and effective against MK Dons in that role. I'd also argue that Alex Hunt is someone who would be very good in that role.

The biggest issue in our team at present is that any attacking intent can only come from wide.  There's nothing going to happen centrally before it gets to Rose.  Our wingers are ineffective with the exception of Eisa's shooting and there's nothing coming centrally either.  Solution is we either put someone in a central position who can create something and/or run beyond Rose or start to seriously stretch sides from wide areas too, ideally both.

Not sure at all what's happened with Ainley, anyone know if he's injured?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
Son of Cod
January 8, 2024, 1:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Gnaouha looked very comfortable and effective against MK Dons in that role. I'd also argue that Alex Hunt is someone who would be very good in that role.

The biggest issue in our team at present is that any attacking intent can only come from wide.  There's nothing going to happen centrally before it gets to Rose.  Our wingers are ineffective with the exception of Eisa's shooting and there's nothing coming centrally either.  Solution is we either put someone in a central position who can create something and/or run beyond Rose or start to seriously stretch sides from wide areas too, ideally both.

Not sure at all what's happened with Ainley, anyone know if he's injured?

Good point on Hunt, agree that he could be decent there potentially. Have to admit I was stone cold sober at MK and didn't even realise Gnahoua had played in that role! Had a good game though you're right.

Ainley must be injured when you look at the fact that we've had Cam Gardner on the bench. Surely DA would go with a senior player over a youth player if both were fit? Ainley was also at the Crewe match on Boxing Day with a few other ex-Crewe players, which surely wouldn't have been signed off if he was fit and available. Jury definitely still well and truly out on his future at BP if you ask me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
Mappers
January 8, 2024, 4:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from ginnywings

The stats say he hasn't scored loads of goals at this level, but that doesn't tell the whole story. There is a reason he plays almost every game for all the clubs he has played for.

Not scoring a shedload of goals for his previous clubs doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

I'd also point out that for us, he is scoring at a level never achieved before, so we must be doing something right. We've got better up front than previous seasons, but have gone backwards at the other end, which is annoying.

With regards to Orsi, there is the opinion that Hurst "got rid of him", when If I remember right, it was more a decision for him wanting more game time, which Hurst couldn't guarantee, and he was never going to be first choice ahead of Rose, which meant he wouldn't be getting started in the system we play with one main striker.

Rose is a player that normally does the donkey work for better goalscorers - he is a very very good striker for this level imo ; it should be his best goalscoring season to barring disaster to  , surely should be 15+ .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
arryarryarry
January 8, 2024, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Son of Cod

Good point on Hunt, agree that he could be decent there potentially. Have to admit I was stone cold sober at MK and didn't even realise Gnahoua had played in that role! Had a good game though you're right.

Ainley must be injured when you look at the fact that we've had Cam Gardner on the bench. Surely DA would go with a senior player over a youth player if both were fit? Ainley was also at the Crewe match on Boxing Day with a few other ex-Crewe players, which surely wouldn't have been signed off if he was fit and available. Jury definitely still well and truly out on his future at BP if you ask me.

Wasn't Ainley already injured when he arrived.

Just another in a long line of injured players Hurst seemed to want to sign.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
Abdul19
January 8, 2024, 4:26pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
He played v Wrexham and Crawley just after signing.

(2 games, not a Dagenham and Redbridge type thing)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
Hagrid
January 8, 2024, 5:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,437
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from arryarryarry

Wasn't Ainley already injured when he arrived.

Just another in a long line of injured players Hurst seemed to want to sign.

no he wasnt. He was in the squad at Bradford the day he signed.

But lets have another dig at Hurst
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
Northbank Mariner
January 8, 2024, 6:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,492
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Hagrid

no he wasnt. He was in the squad at Bradford the day he signed.

But lets have another dig at Hurst

Hurst signed him after he'd been out for nearly 18 months (on and off) due to injuries, he was always a gamble and hasn't been as successful as Eisa who was also a risk, oh and Vernam....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
AncientExiledMariner
January 8, 2024, 6:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Hurst signed him after he'd been out for nearly 18 months (on and off) due to injuries, he was always a gamble and hasn't been as successful as Eisa who was also a risk, oh and Vernam....

Hurst signed him after Vernam got injured. Basically you take either an option that is risky that could pay off, or you take someone, young and inexperienced, which we'd tried before without much luck, or you take someone not wanted by their club... after the transfer window, which is unlikely.

I cannot fault Hurst for signing Ainley. It just probably hasn't worked out. He was on the bench for a few Artell matches, so maybe I'll be wrong on this, but so far, not great.

On the main topic, good luck to Stephen Wearne. I hope he has a good career. He's got another opportunity in the football league and I hope he grasps it with both hands. Maybe he needed to drop down to get games and find that ingredient he was missing. Players are human and sometimes it's the roadblocks in life that push players to get the best out of himself. Hurst was not psychic and didn't see the future so he only can make a decision with what he sees and the information he has.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
acko338
January 9, 2024, 7:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
Wearne needed time that Hurst could not give him to find his best position and develop.

Dropping to Gateshead has given him time against a slightly lower opposition level to blossom and become a player who has some goal scoring ability, likewise Manny this season, who could have given Rose closer support and fed off his hold up play.

I still think that a player of the ilk of Kabamba of Barnet is who we should be looking at, first as a goal scorer, 2nd as a physical.presence, and 3rdly to be able to rest Rose before he gets burn out, or gets injured.

I would like to know how Lewis Richardson, ex youth loanee is doing now, as he was the best of the bunch last year before injury, had no fears of tackling, and looked like he could be a developed no 10 link player with some good training in place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
bedders78
January 9, 2024, 12:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from acko338

I would like to know how Lewis Richardson, ex youth loanee is doing now, as he was the best of the bunch last year before injury, had no fears of tackling, and looked like he could be a developed no 10 link player with some good training in place.

Seems to be playing regularly for Burnley U21s - most recently against a Leicester team including Raikhy and Grist - https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/match/2404141/lineups

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
chaos33
January 9, 2024, 1:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I liked Richardson too. I’d be enthused by a further loan of him.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
Son of Cod
January 9, 2024, 2:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from bedders78

Seems to be playing regularly for Burnley U21s - most recently against a Leicester team including Raikhy and Grist - https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/match/2404141/lineups

Raikhy hasn't kicked a ball in men's footy since the playoff final. Seems a bit of a waste that, he was well on the way to proving himself having played a decent part in two separate NL promotion campaigns in one season and now he's just back playing youth footy. Of all the young loanees we've had over recent years, I thought he looked to have the combative edge that most in that age bracket lack.

Richardson looked absolutely quality a few times but was a bit hit and miss, I'd definitely up for having him back though. Was a shame when he got recalled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
Croxton
January 9, 2024, 5:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,017
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Son of Cod

Raikhy hasn't kicked a ball in men's footy since the playoff final. Seems a bit of a waste that, he was well on the way to proving himself having played a decent part in two separate NL promotion campaigns in one season and now he's just back playing youth footy. Of all the young loanees we've had over recent years, I thought he looked to have the combative edge that most in that age bracket lack.

Richardson looked absolutely quality a few times but was a bit hit and miss, I'd definitely up for having him back though. Was a shame when he got recalled.

Raikhy was certainly competitive with a good passing range and eye for a shot from distance. Comfortable in possession and would be a sound replacement for Gav if he were to move on.

https://www.skysports.com/watc.....coring-against-wigan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
Son of Cod
January 9, 2024, 5:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Raikhy was certainly competitive with a good passing range and eye for a shot from distance. Comfortable in possession and would be a sound replacement for Gav if he were to move on.

https://www.skysports.com/watc.....coring-against-wigan

Oh so he has actually in men's football for Leicester then, albeit in the trophy, my bad for using WIki there. That's a bit of a screamer that goal!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
Abdul19
January 9, 2024, 6:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
Strict league games only rule on Wiki!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Stephen Wearne

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.