Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Stephen Wearne

This thread currently has 6,272 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
January 7, 2024, 1:14pm
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Mansfield might, but Northampton and Stevenage are in League One where Danny Rose isn't as good.

But weren't they both League 2 when he played for them?

Reply: 30 - 55
toontown
January 7, 2024, 1:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
I wasn't impressed with weather at all to be honest when he was here. He did get chances, esp early on, but completely failed to take them. Football is intensely competitive, managers are sacked very quickly these days, when your given a chance you need to grasp it with both hands as you won't keep on being given them if you don't perform. You at least have to show promise if you expect to keep your place.

I thought wearne struggled with the defensive side of his role quite badly, but didn't offer anything much offensively to offset that and was physically lightweight on top of that. It's quite a jump from NL to lg 2, he seems to have done well down there but it doesn't mean he will do in lg 2, of course he may have improved now but I can't disagree with hurst off loading him. When you get players from below plenty won't work out.

For orsi I thought he offered something even if he wasn't great, he showed real promise as a lone striker in the cup run and Hurst admitted he was the most natural goal scorer in the squad. I can understand getting rid if we had better coming in, he was 3rd choice, but we didn't get a better option for lower down our striking pecking order. Pyke might be an ok wide player but, especially as a lone forward which we usually employ he's totally lost at league 2 level. Games against non league opposition or reserves in the pizza trophy are irrelevant. Wilson looks less than orsi in terms of all round play as well, esp as a lone forward, altho he looks to have maybe a similar eye for goal. Overall massive steps backwards by Hurst for our forwards apart from Rose of course.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2024, 3:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 141269

But weren't they both League 2 when he played for them?

Yes, and my point being that he is a really good player at this level and consistently been a key player for teams challenging at the top end.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
RichMariner
January 7, 2024, 3:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Orsi scored one league goal for us. In any other season we'd have been saying good riddance, but he played an important role in our FA Cup run and looked a neat and tidy striker when given the chances. We just weren't a side that created loads of opportunities.

Also — not that many teams play this way any more — I think Orsi would've thrived up front in a two, with someone like Andy Cook. One of our best strike partnerships in non-league was Cook with Hannah. Before that, we had Elding and Hearn.

This modern way of playing still requires an intelligent central striker, but someone who needs to be more rounded in abilities than Orsi. A Gary Jones type player would be brilliant. Ryan Taylor, when fit (and when we weren't just lumping it to him), was decent too, with a clever no. 10 behind and two wide players who know how to get involved.

Rose is a solid central striker but I think he still needs more support from the wide attackers like Eisa and Gnouha, and no one's really making a claim for that no. 10 position in the middle, just behind, a la McAtee.

Wilson, Rose, Pyke and Eisa between them have scored over 30 goals, and they were all signed by Hurst. More proof that he knew what he was signing, at least in the striker signing market. I wonder if we'd be so bothered about Orsi leaving if he hadn't scored that winner against us at BP?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
January 7, 2024, 4:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Yes, and my point being that he is a really good player at this level and consistently been a key player for teams challenging at the top end.

Northampton - 7 goals in 87 appearances
Stevenage - 9 in 52

The stats don't say he has been a good player at this level previously. Yet for us he's on course for player of the season.

Sometimes a player just doesn't fit with a club for whatever reason.
That's how it felt with Orsi and Wearne who are thriving elsewhere.
Nobody to blame I guess. Player doesn't suit the system/system doesn't suit the player.
Reply: 34 - 55
golfer
January 7, 2024, 4:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,438
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Bit like Orsi sometimes you don’t appreciate what you have until it’s gone. Still baffles me why Orsi didn’t get more game time with us, 15 goals so far this season and think him and Rose would have been a great partnership.

His hair was too long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
ginnywings
January 7, 2024, 6:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,140
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 141269

Northampton - 7 goals in 87 appearances
Stevenage - 9 in 52

The stats don't say he has been a good player at this level previously. Yet for us he's on course for player of the season.

Sometimes a player just doesn't fit with a club for whatever reason.
That's how it felt with Orsi and Wearne who are thriving elsewhere.
Nobody to blame I guess. Player doesn't suit the system/system doesn't suit the player.

The stats say he hasn't scored loads of goals at this level, but that doesn't tell the whole story. There is a reason he plays almost every game for all the clubs he has played for.

Not scoring a shedload of goals for his previous clubs doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

I'd also point out that for us, he is scoring at a level never achieved before, so we must be doing something right. We've got better up front than previous seasons, but have gone backwards at the other end, which is annoying.

With regards to Orsi, there is the opinion that Hurst "got rid of him", when If I remember right, it was more a decision for him wanting more game time, which Hurst couldn't guarantee, and he was never going to be first choice ahead of Rose, which meant he wouldn't be getting started in the system we play with one main striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
coddy60
January 7, 2024, 9:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Pretty sure Wearne was the one in the videos, with Mcatee, in Louth. Mcatee fell out of favour for a while and he (Wearne), got shipped out....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2024, 9:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from coddy60
Pretty sure Wearne was the one in the videos, with Mcatee, in Louth. Mcatee fell out of favour for a while and he (Wearne), got shipped out....

Do divulge...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
diehardmariner
January 8, 2024, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,624
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from toontown
I wasn't impressed with weather at all to be honest when he was here. He did get chances, esp early on, but completely failed to take them. Football is intensely competitive, managers are sacked very quickly these days, when your given a chance you need to grasp it with both hands as you won't keep on being given them if you don't perform. You at least have to show promise if you expect to keep your place.

I thought wearne struggled with the defensive side of his role quite badly, but didn't offer anything much offensively to offset that and was physically lightweight on top of that. It's quite a jump from NL to lg 2, he seems to have done well down there but it doesn't mean he will do in lg 2, of course he may have improved now but I can't disagree with hurst off loading him. When you get players from below plenty won't work out.

Wearne's start to his Town career went like this:

Orient away - comes on for last 12 with the game gone.
Northampton at home - comes on for last 15 at 1-0 down, Maguire-Drew grabs a late equaliser seconds after coming on.
Crewe at home in cup - Starts and plays full game, scoring the final goal of a 4-0 win.
Rochdale away - starts and plays 75 in a 1-0 win (0-0 when he went off), awful drab game from memory.
Sutton at home - starts and plays 76 minutes in 0-0- draw.  See previous games for entertainment value.
Forest at home in cup - comes on at half-time with Town already 2-0 down.  
Newport away - unused sub
Gillingham at home - comes on for last 10 in a 1-1 draw, no change to score in that time.
Colchester away - unused sub.

Then mainly not in the squad with fleeting bench warming duties until a 15minute cameo at home to Colchester in early November and finally a 4 minute appearance in the 2-0 defeat at Carlisle in early March.

I'm not sure that's a fair crack of the whip.  In very similar style to Alex Hunt, it's a mini-run in the team and axed at the first opportunity.  In that run of 3 starts he scored one and generally looked ok, not amazing just ok.  Albeit it in a side that, especially in those league games, looked pretty dull.  You can cut that two ways of he was part of a side that looked blunt or that you could have put peak-Messi in that set-up and he would have looked ineffectual with his remit of keeping us shape.

You can compare the chances he got to someone like Brendan Kiernan, who played in the positions Wearne occupies.  Kiernan had very limited output to say the least, his performance down the middle against Plymouth aside he looked industrious and then I'm struggling to say much else.  

I think the comparison between the chances afforded to Kiernan and Wearne sums up Hurst's approach towards those more attack minded players.  What I saw of Wearne he wasn't lazy, nor unwilling to do the defensive minded duties (3 consecutive clean sheets in his mini-run of starts) but he was definitely more about going forward than tracking back.  

Would he and can he cut it in League Two, well we don't know but I suspect we're about to find out pretty soon.  As with Orsi, I don't think he got a chance and that's my biggest frustration with Hurst's recruitment since we got back in the league.  He signed Wearne, Orsi and Hunt yet seemed reluctant to give them fair opportunities.  In the case of Wearne he persisted with others who had limited output.  

In terms of Orsi he persisted with McAtee out of position and then Taylor when he wasn't able to produce...then also gave the likes of Kiki Simmonds, Bim Pepple et al chances ahead of him.  Until George Lloyd arrived we looked pretty toothless up top, yet Orsi was afforded just one start until that point (the spineless defeat against Salford at home, naturally dropped the next game)  Why sign these lads in the first place if you're not going to give them more than a smidge of a chance.

Orsi showed what he could do when he had a run in the team.  Not just the cup run but his form and performances at the back end of last season were a huge indication that he could cut it at this level.  
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Stephen Wearne

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.