6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
January 7, 2024, 10:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Orsi was given 5 League starts and Wearne 2 . To say they left for reasons other then they were not wanted is hard to believe. Mcatee was out of sorts and favour at times in his second season here and some  on here were question if he was a flash in the pan / good enough for League 2 . As  this me passes it becomes clearer to me that Hurst was dogmatic set in his ways to get the best out of creative players. Artell said after a couple of games he had told the players they needed to take risks .. I think the relevance now is it is going to take a long time to sort out and whether just a change of manager and not just the coaching staff is enough is open to question at least
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 10:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from HerveJosse
Orsi was given 5 League starts and Wearne 2 . To say they left for reasons other then they were not wanted is hard to believe. Mcatee was out of sorts and favour at times in his second season here and some  on here were question if he was a flash in the pan / good enough for League 2 . As  this me passes it becomes clearer to me that Hurst was dogmatic set in his ways to get the best out of creative players. Artell said after a couple of games he had told the players they needed to take risks .. I think the relevance now is it is going to take a long time to sort out and whether just a change of manager and not just the coaching staff is enough is open to question at least

I think that dogmatic approach is something that led to Hurst sticking with selection based on what he knew rather than what he could find out I think that was evident in both his spells with the club.

I’m sure he’ll look back on his time at the club and measure it on 2 promotions from the hardest league to get out of, a couple of tin pot trophy Wembley days out for success starved supporters & the best cup run since Adolf started his uninvited tour of Europe.

Supporters will measure his time on what they believe he didn’t do and the “obvious opportunities” he missed at the time. Why? Because it’s Hurst and he cupped his ear or whatever excuse people need these days.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
January 7, 2024, 11:03am
Guest User
I wonder if the Stevenage or Northampton forums have a thread saying how much of a mistake it was to get rid of Danny Rose?

Or is it just us that can't let go of fantasizing about ex players?
Reply: 22 - 55
Withnail
January 7, 2024, 11:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Poojah

I think you could probably add Lennie to that list, though I realise that’s a bit more contentious.

Not sure if you’re referring to Aswad Thomas, who was a left-back, or Wes Thomas, who was signed and binned off by Jolley a long time before Hurst came the second time.

Good point Poohah, - I was referring to Wes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
HerveJosse
January 7, 2024, 11:37am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 141269
I wonder if the Stevenage or Northampton forums have a thread saying how much of a mistake it was to get rid of Danny Rose?

I think the fact we are constantly told it’s near impossible for us  sign goalscorers and we should accept our place in life at the bottom of the food chain might be the reason some of us feel as we do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 11:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think the fact we are constantly told it’s near impossible for us  sign goalscorers and we should accept our place in life at the bottom of the food chain might be the reason some of us feel as we do.

But we’ve signed one in Rose?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
HerveJosse
January 7, 2024, 11:55am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

But we’ve signed one in Rose?

Exactly .

Add to the others discussed in here and it’s clearly not difficult to sign them . The difficulty has been selecting them and giving them a chance to perform when they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2024, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 141269

Mansfield might, but Northampton and Stevenage are in League One where Danny Rose isn't as good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 7, 2024, 12:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from 141269

I have a friend who is a Stevenage season ticket holder. He calls Rose a 'Stevenage reject'.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 12:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Exactly .

Add to the others discussed in here and it’s clearly not difficult to sign them . The difficulty has been selecting them and giving them a chance to perform when they are.

I’d agree with that, it’s easier for a manager to integrate a Stephen Wearne into an EFL team if the rest of the squad is of decent consistent quality and contending towards the top of the league. Not as easy if the squad is predominantly a NL level play off winning squad with the odd EFL mis fit added for an EFL campaign

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Stephen Wearne

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.