6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
January 7, 2024, 1:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
It doesn't surprise me that they're thriving elsewhere. Hurst always could spot a striker.

His trouble, as others have said, was getting the best out of them. I think it's fair to say we didn't play to their strengths, particularly towards the end of his tenure.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
Mappers
January 7, 2024, 2:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst has a habit of dropping players he did it with Boggle and Amond but they came through it.
The younger players maybe get a bit disillusioned with it and it knocks their confidence.

You are getting worryingly more sensible than the 'Day Cup'  times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
Maringer
January 7, 2024, 7:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,541
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from HerveJosse
Wearne, Orsi and Manny have scored 37 goals so far this season. Mcatee is thriving at Barnsley. Are we just unlucky or is there a pattern.

We don't need players capable of scoring goals in the Conference. We need them capable of scoring goals in the League as, admittedly, Orsi is doing this season.

I wasn't too bothered when Orsi was allowed to leave as I wasn't overly impressed with him from his performances in the League. However, I did assume that we would sign enough strikers after he left, and we didn't! He wouldn't displace Rose from the team, but would surely have been able to play off him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
It Bites
January 7, 2024, 8:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265
You can add Andy Cook
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
pizzzza
January 7, 2024, 8:39am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst has a habit of dropping players he did it with Boggle

The mind boggles.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Withnail
January 7, 2024, 8:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Players leave (insert club) for a variety of reasons. McAtee to further his career higher up the pyramid, Orsi no doubt wanted a southern based club, while Wearne was getting no game time (as was the case with Orsi to a lesser extent).

No club is going to concede that a player wants away for whatever reason, as it's not a good look.

That said, I'd love the above players,  plus Cook, to still be with us.  

We had some decent strikers during Hurst's tenure - Podge, Bogle, Thomas, Hearn, Hamnah, who all thrived so I don't buy the argument he had a problem with them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
mariner83
January 7, 2024, 10:18am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst has a habit of dropping players he did it with Boggle

The mind Bogles
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 10:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
We don’t have a game this weekend so the Hurst bashing in inevitable and like every manager that has managed any club some of it at some point will be warranted, so this isn’t really a post about Hurst it’s about context.

At this stage in the case of Wearne was it truly a massive mistake to let him go at the point in time he left the club?

He came to the club with no EFL experience was involved then got injured, he found it hard to get a place in the side so we sent him on loan for a few games, credit to the lad as the loan was miles away. Clearly the lad can play, generally professional footballers can.

When the lad came back he couldn’t establish himself in the side. Remember it’s not a seasoned pro who had a record of impacting games & performing well week in week out that came back from his loan so not an instant starter.

Young players need week in week out football to develop and we just couldn’t guarantee him that so a move back down a league has clearly worked to develop him and now he gets his go again in the EFL, it happens loads at many clubs. Good luck to him I hope he does well.

Allowing Wearne to leave to develop was actually a good move by Hurst for the player as he’s back on track. He could have stayed & been in & out for the rest of his deal, is that a good thing in reality? Though we don’t pay loads I’m sure he would have earned more with us than Gateshead.

He could have stayed & been the next McAtee but Hurst like many L2 managers didn’t have that luxury of time to see what happens.

Stephen Wearne deserves success as he’s put himself out to establish himself if he quickly recreates his recent NL form in the EFL then maybe we’ve missed an opportunity, it happens.

Orsi is one that I find difficult to understand the context of unless there was a clear desire from him to return South.

Firstly credit to him prior to a couple of good performances in the cup & “that” back injury at Southampton many of the Fishy posters who are slagging Hurst off for letting him go thought he was a donkey, changing the opinion of on line experts is a really big achievement no matter how average in reality a player has been on the pitch.

Where I don’t get the Orsi move was that he was an option that we don’t appear to have in attack and unlike the example of Wearne had to a degree proved he CDAJATL and his move to Crawley has proved that for sure. I thought at the time letting Orsi go was a poor decision as we’d not brought in better.

Every manager will make what the supporters see as a “mistake” when a player moves on especially when you consider the way the market works & the amount of moves each window.

Another thing to note is that at times we’ve benefitted as a poster notes above but maybe it’s not as evident as other clubs as for a lot of years we’ve had a revolving door & been stop - start - refresh & reboot most seasons.

We can only sustain a certain amount of pros at the club so our manager whoever it is will be limited on how long he has to establish a player, this means players will leave again & do well elsewhere it happens across football & will continue to happen.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
Poojah
January 7, 2024, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,578
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from Withnail
Players leave (insert club) for a variety of reasons. McAtee to further his career higher up the pyramid, Orsi no doubt wanted a southern based club, while Wearne was getting no game time (as was the case with Orsi to a lesser extent).

No club is going to concede that a player wants away for whatever reason, as it's not a good look.

That said, I'd love the above players,  plus Cook, to still be with us.  

We had some decent strikers during Hurst's tenure - Podge, Bogle, Thomas, Hearn, Hamnah, who all thrived so I don't buy the argument he had a problem with them.

I think you could probably add Lennie to that list, though I realise that’s a bit more contentious.

Not sure if you’re referring to Aswad Thomas, who was a left-back, or Wes Thomas, who was signed and binned off by Jolley a long time before Hurst came the second time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 10:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah

I think you could probably add Lennie to that list, though I realise that’s a bit more contentious.

Not sure if you’re referring to Aswad Thomas, who was a left-back, or Wes Thomas, who was signed and binned off by Jolley a long time before Hurst came the second time.

I’m sure quite a few Scunny supporters thought it was a mistake to let McAtee go to Grimsby.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Stephen Wearne

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.