Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who is head of recruitement.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Who is head of recruitement.?

This thread currently has 6,932 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
January 7, 2024, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
That’s a strong point. But fannying about with it at the back is likely to compound your problems with conceding goals.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 5:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,937
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from chaos33

I agree with that. The bigger point for me is that if you don’t have players who are decent at:

Controlling the ball
Passing
Moving quickly into space
Anticipating
Positioning themselves correctly
Being physically and athletically competent

Then playing out from the back is likely to add to your problems. In my opinion we’re not good at any of the above; that’s why we are in a mess and why we need better players.

Or at the very least be pragmatic until we’ve no chance of getting sucked into a relegation battle then work on the style bit in the pre season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
chaos33
January 7, 2024, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Or at the very least be pragmatic until we’ve no chance of getting sucked into a relegation battle then work on the style bit in the pre season.

Yeah I would agree.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
ginnywings
January 7, 2024, 6:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
We could always go back to the scintillating football of Paul Hurst. We weren't winning many hoofing it up the pitch, and the entertainment was next to nil. Football is supposed to be entertaining, and one of the reasons Artell was brought in was to try and achieve this. There will be bumps in the road along the way. Playing out from the back is much more entertaining than seeing the ball sailing through the air and hoping the centre forward can do something with it.

We simply must change the narrative around Blundell Park, because for season after season, the results and the football on display has been shockingly bad under several managers.

Our constant troubles are highlighted by the disgraceful stat that of the last 21 seasons in the Football League, we have finished with a negative goal difference in 19 of them. Since we returned to the league in 2016, our goal difference is -93, and if you take it back to 2004, it is -145. I think that sinks the notion that we have been anything other than sh1te for 20 years, yet some cling onto a style of play that has brought nothing but relegation dogfights.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but I am about sick to death of boring, negative, losing football under manager after manager, season after season, and Artell is trying to address that by changing the whole ethos. I hope to god he achieves it because I don't think I can take many more seasons of dross, and will start finding something more enjoyable to do on a weekend if it carries on.

I, and others, have been nothing but patient, waiting for things to change around the club, and I will give Artell time too, especially as he is trying to change things. If this doesn't work, then I think my patience will finally run out.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
chaos33
January 7, 2024, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
We could always go back to the scintillating football of Paul Hurst. We weren't winning many hoofing it up the pitch, and the entertainment was next to nil. Football is supposed to be entertaining, and one of the reasons Artell was brought in was to try and achieve this. There will be bumps in the road along the way. Playing out from the back is much more entertaining than seeing the ball sailing through the air and hoping the centre forward can do something with it.

We simply must change the narrative around Blundell Park, because for season after season, the results and the football on display has been shockingly bad under several managers.

Our constant troubles are highlighted by the disgraceful stat that of the last 21 seasons in the Football League, we have finished with a negative goal difference in 19 of them. Since we returned to to the league in 2016, our goal difference is -93, and if you take it back to 2004, it is -145. I think that sinks the notion that we have been anything other sh1te for 20 years, yet some cling onto a style of play that has brought nothing but relegation dogfights.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but I am about sick to death of boring, negative, losing football under manager after manager, season after season, and Artell is trying to address that by changing the whole ethos. I hope to god he achieves it because I don't think I can take many more seasons of dross, and will start finding something more enjoyable to do on a weekend if it carries on.

I, and others, have been nothing but patient, waiting for things to change around the club, and I will give Artell time too, especially as he is trying to change things. If this doesn't work, then I think my patience will finally run out.

As always mate, a compelling post.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
MuddyWaters
January 7, 2024, 7:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,251
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

Our constant troubles are highlighted by the disgraceful stat that of the last 21 seasons in the Football League, we have finished with a negative goal difference in 19 of them. Since we returned to the league in 2016, our goal difference is -93, and if you take it back to 2004, it is -145. I think that sinks the notion that we have been anything other than sh1te for 20 years, yet some cling onto a style of play that has brought nothing but relegation dogfights.

Totally this.

For years, the entertaining games have been a rarity, Artell spent 5 years at Crewe, he surely needs more than 5 weeks to impose his methods on someone else’s players.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2024, 8:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,937
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

I don’t disagree TBH, I’m still confident that winning more games will come under Artell.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
Poojah
January 7, 2024, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,547
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I don’t disagree TBH, I’m still confident that winning more games will come under Artell.

I think we’ve seen enough green shoots in Artell’s brief tenure so far to have confidence that we will, but he has also just presided over the club’s heaviest home league defeat since 1947. And this time against Walsall rather than Liverpool. It’s stating the bleeding obvious, but that’s really the kind of result he could have done without at this stage of his reign.

I’m sure it will prove to be an aberration - a once in 77 year result, but he’ll need to avoid many more major hiccups in the coming weeks and months if he wants to keep the fans on board, en masse. That’s just how football, and more specifically Blundell Park, works.

Our leaky bucket of a defence that made our Walsall whooping possible is by no means Artell’s fault, we’ve been shockingly generous at the back for a side assembled by Paul Hurst, virtually all season. That said, it’s absolutely his problem to solve, and I think most would accept some pragmatic 1-0 wins over the course of the next 5 or 6 games. Off the ball, rather than on it, has to be his priority in this brief FA Cup assisted hiatus we are currently in the middle of.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
GrimPol
January 7, 2024, 8:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -668
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from chaos33

I agree with that. The bigger point for me is that if you don’t have players who are decent at:

Controlling the ball
Passing
Moving quickly into space
Anticipating
Positioning themselves correctly
Being physically and athletically competent

Then playing out from the back is likely to add to your problems. In my opinion we’re not good at any of the above; that’s why we are in a mess and why we need better players.

Theres not much left then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
chaos33
January 7, 2024, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Depends on whether we acquire better players before the next game and beyond. In my opinion, an example we could look at following in terms of set-up is how Carrick has Middlesbrough playing. It would absolutely address our glaring weakness of being brittle and completely open through central positions, especially when we lose the ball - which we do a lot. I’d like to see us crowd central areas and become difficult to score against as a kind of ‘back to basics’ approach.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who is head of recruitement.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.