Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who is head of recruitement.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Who is head of recruitement.?

This thread currently has 6,938 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 4, 2024, 10:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Bit in bold, I'm not sure how you can "guarantee" the competency of the data analyst. I work with data everyday, sometimes I choose to base my decisions on what it tells me, sometimes I go with a decision based upon a few decades experience and sometimes just gut feel. I would suspect a coach or manager takes a similar approach. Data doesn't give you the conclusion but it certainly helps with identifying one and signposting options.  

Regardless of the sector data if collated properly via suitable resource is valuable as it's is evidence based, it helps inform decisions. Like I suspect everyone on here I'm not an expert in sports data but I'd be relatively confident the data and the analyst add value to GTFC.

This isn't my quote but my feelings on data in football can be summed up thus:-

"Football Data is like a bikini. It shows an awful lot but hides the most important bits - the context."

This is the most important thing for me, the context of any data which is why things often go awry because a thousand and one things contribute to the data in football. A good example is how a player can be great at one club and look like a competition winner at others.

The manager and the analyst try to give the data the context but everything in football is so subjective and depends on so many moving parts it is a very difficult job, and so so easy to come to the wrong conclusion which I suppose is why so many clubs continue to struggle despite the having the data to help them.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 80
HertsGTFC
January 4, 2024, 10:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228

This isn't my quote but my feelings on data in football can be summed up thus:-

"Football Data is like a bikini. It shows an awful lot but hides the most important bits - the context."

This is the most important thing for me, the context of any data which is why things often go awry because a thousand and one things contribute to the data in football. A good example is how a player can be great at one club and look like a competition winner at others.

The manager and the analyst try to give the data the context but everything in football is so subjective and depends on so many moving parts it is a very difficult job, and so so easy to come to the wrong conclusion which I suppose so many clubs continue to struggle despite the having the data to help them.

Agree TBH, sadly I don't think data can measure desire & hunger.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 80
AncientExiledMariner
January 4, 2024, 4:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree TBH, sadly I don't think data can measure desire & hunger.

It can. Because when you say "desire and hunger", you don't mean a feeling, you are referring to behaviour that comes afterward such as effort and workload when you're up or down, how close they get to other players etc. How close to their max speed they are. Distance they run in different situations. You can measure it all.

I have desire and hunger to be a great footballer, but the metrics would look pretty shite for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 80
Swansea_Mariner
January 4, 2024, 6:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
You'll get elements of desire and hunger from stats but I think most of that will come from the analysts notes from reviewing game footage i.e we've all seen the Justin Whittles and Mark Lever's of the game stick their head on a ball that looked downright impossible  or dangerous to win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 80
GrimPol
January 4, 2024, 7:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
A Note for Stranger in the Park

[quote=120845]Still trying to decide whether this is a thread about Joe Hutchinson or Yoda TBH, so clearly the latter had to a degree achieved the result he no doubt desired.

Joe Hutchinson cannot be held accountable for Mullarkey and Andrews seemingly jogging back whilst Waterfall tries to prevent the first Walsall goal on Monday or the various examples of nobody tracking opposition runners from midfield or the numerous defensive errors this term, the accountability for that and more importantly fixing that sits with the Manager/Head Coach who actually signed the players.        

Waterfall never got near the Walsall player as he was slow, but yes Mullarkey & Andrews only jogged back. DA can (hopefully)  "motivate" Mullarkey & Andrews and others to step up and react quicker, but Waterfall has serious problems in that he is slow, and if we press up the field he will be passed time and again. I wouldn't be surprised if its his last match, but Rodgers doesn't fill me with any hope as his positioning is terrible.  Not good.
............................................................................................................................................................
The above is what you quoted that I wrote ( see Jan 4 2024 12.24 am) when in fact the bold is what I wrote, and someone else wrote the other. I would appreciate you not mixing quotes and making out that I wrote them. My thanks in advance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 80
GrimPol
January 4, 2024, 7:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69

It can. Because when you say "desire and hunger", you don't mean a feeling, you are referring to behaviour that comes afterward such as effort and workload when you're up or down, how close they get to other players etc. How close to their max speed they are. Distance they run in different situations. You can measure it all.

I have desire and hunger to be a great footballer, but the metrics would look pretty shite for me.

So is DA playing out from the back because the Data says A) It's the right thing to do    B) The players recruited by using Data can play out from the back because the individual metrics for the players say they can cope?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
January 4, 2024, 8:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237

But there are so many reasons for any player to be playing less than 100%.

Yes you can measure it but it is the context that matters, both good and bad. Perhaps the opposition has run him ragged. He might have run himself into the ground. He might have taken a slight knock. He might have had a better offer and is looking forward to that.

It could be his teammates whose lax play have made him run far more than he needed to, hence him being tired.

You can measure it and come to a conclusion but unless you have studied in detail every possible scenario and combination of reasons it still won't be right. Its a mugs game

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 80
The Yard Dog
January 7, 2024, 11:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Notts County have lost 10 games this season. just one less than us and are in the play-offs, were as Mansfield have drawn 10 games, one more than us are in the top three.  The other two teams Barrow & Wimbledon that have drawn the same amount of games as us and are in the play-offs, fine margins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 80
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 7, 2024, 12:10pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +847
Gold Stars: 117
The frankly stupid idea of playing out from the back is really our only option at the moment, no matter how bad we are at it, because in the good old days where the keeper would hoof it up the pitch at every given opportunity, there were one of two players who could actually jump higher than their ankles to get a flick on to a mobile player up front, are long gone. Yes we have the mobile frontman but the "important" players in the middle of the pitch are incapable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 80
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2024, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
The frankly stupid idea of playing out from the back is really our only option at the moment, no matter how bad we are at it, because in the good old days where the keeper would hoof it up the pitch at every given opportunity, there were one of two players who could actually jump higher than their ankles to get a flick on to a mobile player up front, are long gone. Yes we have the mobile frontman but the "important" players in the middle of the pitch are incapable.

I took in Scarborough v Hereford, two teams that were in the play-off places before kick off. I've been impressed with Ryan Whiteley (on loan at Scarborough from York) every time I've seen him and his distribution for the Scarborough first was unreal. He played a similar ball a couple of times that almost sent a winger through.

The winger, Harry Green, is 22 and from Stockton-on-Tees like our own Kieran Green. Ex Middlesbrough youth player and 10 goals in 18 NLN appearances this season.

Here are the goals, I wish our keepers could distribute like this:
Tweet 1743902842950201597 will appear here...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Who is head of recruitement.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.