10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2024, 10:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Next 3 games Notts County home, Harrogate away, Tranmere home. Based upon the last 4 games we’ll definitely need to be better 😬

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 94
Poojah
January 1, 2024, 10:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,603
Gold Stars: 1,503
Lordy, lord. Like a dodgy New Year’s Eve kebab, it’s taken some time to digest that, and now that I have, I feel like I want to spew.

It’s not often I walk away from Blundell Park having seen something I’ve never seen there before, but today I certainly did. After 70 minutes. That wasn’t a decision driven solely by the capitulation on the pitch as it happens, but I certainly wasn’t the only one leaving - they couldn’t get the gates open quick enough.

I’m just utterly dumbfounded by what I saw out there today. For 38 minutes, the best side by far and completely comfortable in the game. I was enjoying the match, right the way until Waterfall misplaced a simple pass to Mullarkey straight out for a throw, got absolutely skinned by their 11 in the next passage of play, and found ourselves level out of seemingly nothing. Then right on half-time we’re 2-1 down, and they probably should have added a third before the break.

That felt like a bit of a sucker punch at that point; we had been the better side for the bulk of the half, but now the momentum was with them. “It will be interesting to see how we react to this”, I suggested over a half-time píss. And well, you can’t really say the reaction wasn’t “interesting”, can you? Fúcking hell.

What happened during what I saw of the second-half is a bit of a blur. Much like the morning after any good NYE night out, I’m able to piece together bits of what went down, but not necessarily in the correct order and with important bits of the story missing. That’s how bewilderingly disorientating and mindblowingly shít that second-half was.

Our non-pen at 3-1 down looked nailed on from my vantage, arguably more so than theirs that was given seconds later, but as much as that might have been a butterfly effect moment that led to some Barnet ‘21 esque 4-3 comeback, you can only deal with the evidence offered up by the dimension you’re currently living in, and that’s that we surrendered all momentum to Walsall who proceeded to give us a skullfúcking that will live a long time in the memory.

I posted after the Salford game that patience would be needed as we transition to a new way of playing, and that there would be bumps in the road along the way. That was not a bump. That was more like the pile up scene from the start of Final Destination 2. A monumental clusterfúck from the very depths of football hell.

The big question of the day is simply: what the fúck happened? We were ok for almost the entire first-half. In fact we’re better than ok - we were really good. Intense, on the front foot, looking dangerous, knocking nice balls around the pitch. And then disaster.

There’s absolutely no disputing that there was a psychological capitulation, the likes of which we haven’t seen for some time. This is by no means a defence of Hurst’s 23/24 season, but his defeats were generally by small margins.

Perhaps even more worrying, did Walsall simply work us out? They definitely made a tweak to their system, if memory serves, just after our goal around the time Danny Johnson came on. If they tried to amplify that at half-time, it didn’t half work. I’d love nothing more than to see Town successful playing attractive football, but we can’t go exposing ourselves to defeats like that.

The great thing for any manager in the first few weeks of a new job is that when things go wrong, you can just blame your predecessor. But today is on Artell, ultimately. That second half was a new level of BP chaos, and that’s some going.

12 days until our next game. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? What DA does with that period is the first real challenge of his reign. Notts County are the league’s top scorers with 55 goals, with the league’s top scorer in Macauley Langstaff on 19 goals. Big, big question - how does continue to instil the kind of footballing values he wants to impress on the team without risking a demolition even worse than what we’ve witnessed today. Who’d be a football manager?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 94
jamesgtfc
January 1, 2024, 11:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,977
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

12 days until our next game. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? What DA does with that period is the first real challenge of his reign.

Excellent post, Poojah.

I thought about this point in particular earlier, and I think it's a bad thing. I think if we had a game Saturday (and maybe another one squeezed in between now and Saturday), he would be forced to go back to basics and look to grind something out. I worry that Cheapside will focus heavily on intricate patterns and completely fry the brains of players like Waterfall, Green and Maher.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 94
Yoda
January 1, 2024, 11:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,142
Gold Stars: 71
A very depressing day DA and JS need to lift the team and fans
May as-well give Notts county the full sway end there will be loads of seats available in the home end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
Lincspoacher
January 1, 2024, 11:11pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from davmariner

That’s not “awks’ at all u muppet.

Clearly says ‘rumour’.

That is not saying he is going. Labelled a rumour and no more.

Get back in ur box lad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 94
male private Nale
January 2, 2024, 8:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah
Lordy, lord. Like a dodgy New Year’s Eve kebab, it’s taken some time to digest that, and now that I have, I feel like I want to spew.

It’s not often I walk away from Blundell Park having seen something I’ve never seen there before, but today I certainly did. After 70 minutes. That wasn’t a decision driven solely by the capitulation on the pitch as it happens, but I certainly wasn’t the only one leaving - they couldn’t get the gates open quick enough.

I’m just utterly dumbfounded by what I saw out there today. For 38 minutes, the best side by far and completely comfortable in the game. I was enjoying the match, right the way until Waterfall misplaced a simple pass to Mullarkey straight out for a throw, got absolutely skinned by their 11 in the next passage of play, and found ourselves level out of seemingly nothing. Then right on half-time we’re 2-1 down, and they probably should have added a third before the break.

That felt like a bit of a sucker punch at that point; we had been the better side for the bulk of the half, but now the momentum was with them. “It will be interesting to see how we react to this”, I suggested over a half-time píss. And well, you can’t really say the reaction wasn’t “interesting”, can you? Fúcking hell.

What happened during what I saw of the second-half is a bit of a blur. Much like the morning after any good NYE night out, I’m able to piece together bits of what went down, but not necessarily in the correct order and with important bits of the story missing. That’s how bewilderingly disorientating and mindblowingly shít that second-half was.

Our non-pen at 3-1 down looked nailed on from my vantage, arguably more so than theirs that was given seconds later, but as much as that might have been a butterfly effect moment that led to some Barnet ‘21 esque 4-3 comeback, you can only deal with the evidence offered up by the dimension you’re currently living in, and that’s that we surrendered all momentum to Walsall who proceeded to give us a skullfúcking that will live a long time in the memory.

I posted after the Salford game that patience would be needed as we transition to a new way of playing, and that there would be bumps in the road along the way. That was not a bump. That was more like the pile up scene from the start of Final Destination 2. A monumental clusterfúck from the very depths of football hell.

The big question of the day is simply: what the fúck happened? We were ok for almost the entire first-half. In fact we’re better than ok - we were really good. Intense, on the front foot, looking dangerous, knocking nice balls around the pitch. And then disaster.

There’s absolutely no disputing that there was a psychological capitulation, the likes of which we haven’t seen for some time. This is by no means a defence of Hurst’s 23/24 season, but his defeats were generally by small margins.

Perhaps even more worrying, did Walsall simply work us out? They definitely made a tweak to their system, if memory serves, just after our goal around the time Danny Johnson came on. If they tried to amplify that at half-time, it didn’t half work. I’d love nothing more than to see Town successful playing attractive football, but we can’t go exposing ourselves to defeats like that.

The great thing for any manager in the first few weeks of a new job is that when things go wrong, you can just blame your predecessor. But today is on Artell, ultimately. That second half was a new level of BP chaos, and that’s some going.

12 days until our next game. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? What DA does with that period is the first real challenge of his reign. Notts County are the league’s top scorers with 55 goals, with the league’s top scorer in Macauley Langstaff on 19 goals. Big, big question - how does continue to instil the kind of footballing values he wants to impress on the team without risking a demolition even worse than what we’ve witnessed today. Who’d be a football manager?

Jesus wept , you got any short boring stories ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
HerveJosse
January 2, 2024, 9:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

Precis
It was a shitshow and we have got a difficult game next up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 94
golfer
January 2, 2024, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,444
Gold Stars: 116
Did anybody get DB's predicted score right - if they did can they help with my Lottery numbers on Wednesday please ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
chaos33
January 2, 2024, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from male private Nale

Jesus wept , you got any short boring stories ?

For simpletons with short  attention spans and a chip on their shoulder, you mean..?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
January 2, 2024, 10:17am
Guest User
Bring back Shaun Pearson and Ben Davies, they know our squads obvious limitations

Don't be silly.

Reply: 79 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.