realist
December 26, 2023, 2:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from JK47

And that's where WE come in.  We have one of the most deprived wards in the whole of the UK, the sort of place even this government is throwing money at, but not us.  Why don't WE (i.e. we fishys) do something about it ourselves.  There are enough good people on here to make a watertight case for government money for a multi-use community facility, with support from the local council, the local MPs, the Freemen of Grimsby.  That is the way to go instead of waiting for one of us to win the multi-rollover Euromillions jackpot or for a dodgy regime to do a bit of expensive sportswashing for us.  Let's do it!

Utter bullshit. Benefits are the same across the country so the supposed deprivation is the same wherever you are.
The argument that a new football stadium prefixed with "community" is totally inaccurate and misguided. It would change nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
denni266
December 26, 2023, 4:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Simon

Don't tell anyone but i own two  

You dont own no 90  do you..?? I grew up there ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
JK47
December 26, 2023, 5:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Utter bullshit. Benefits are the same across the country so the supposed deprivation is the same wherever you are.
The argument that a new football stadium prefixed with "community" is totally inaccurate and misguided. It would change nothing.

Oh, OK then.  I'm afraid in the real world, the only things that get past by the governemnt have the words "community" and "levelling up" attached to them.  It has to be done through the council, and there's no way the council or the government would justify anything at all "for GTFC."  They would if it could be justified as an improvement for an extremely deprived area and would benefit all generations. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could write an entire book full of justifications for the government to throw some cash in the direction of Grimsby, after all Gove handed back £1.69 billion that no-one seemed to want.  If we (or the council) can't think how we SHOULD have had a large chunk of that for OUR town then I am "disappointed" or perhaps a bit more than disappointed.  If our MPs, or propspective MPs want to be elected or re-elected in 2024, they could of course give the Council a nudge and actually get some real cash handed over.  I'm sure that the Freemen would be positive about such a suggestion.  Why should Grimsby always be at the back of the queue?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
White_shorts
February 8, 2024, 3:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from USA Imp
Long time lurker

Why?

Just thought I could add something to the ongoing move or redevelop discussion.

It's not really ongoing.  The owners' official line is that relocation is not a priority, as BP is not often sold out.

It’s always an interesting discussion on whether to redevelop or move to a new purpose built ground. The cost of knocking down an old stand and building a new one can often be the same as building a new ground.

Briefly….

Not brief enough for my liking.  I've deleted a lot of this quote.

Every football fan hates the type of stadium that has all sides identical

Speak for yourself.  I hate a stand that is twice the height of the rest of the ground but only covers half the length of the pitch.  It is bad for atmosphere.

Move or redevelop?  As I've said several times before, I don't think the council would grant permission to increase BP's capacity to more than the 10k we had with the uncovered green seats.  The local authority has to consider the lack of dedicated parking spaces and traffic congestion.

If you think 10k is an adequate capacity for Grimsby Town Football Club, then stay at Blundell Park.

If, like me, you think we could fill a 15k 'Keepmoat' in the Championship, then we need to move.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 56
HertsGTFC
February 8, 2024, 3:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,943
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from White_shorts

Move or redevelop?  As I've said several times before, I don't think the council would grant permission to increase BP's capacity to more than the 10k we had with the uncovered green seats.  The local authority has to consider the lack of dedicated parking spaces and traffic congestion.

If you think 10k is an adequate capacity for Grimsby Town Football Club, then stay at Blundell Park.

If, like me, you think we could fill a 15k 'Keepmoat' in the Championship, then we need to move.

Not sure which is the least likely a 15,000 seater ground or Town in the championship.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 56
rancido
February 8, 2024, 3:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Not sure which is the least likely a 15,000 seater ground or Town in the championship.

Town in the Championship is not fanciful but maintaining that position is a different thing.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 56
HertsGTFC
February 8, 2024, 4:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,943
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from rancido

Town in the Championship is not fanciful but maintaining that position is a different thing.

That's a fair call  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Move or redevelop

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.