Mappers
December 20, 2023, 6:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from mimma
Can't redevelop Blundell Park. Too close to houses all the way round, not enough space and that's if we could get planning permission

Depends what you mean by redevelop though doesn't it you have plenty of scope on the current footprint , the stands could be expanded in the current format even ,with clever reconfiguration of the seating but again it would be down to cost - I would be happy if the disabled supporters facilities were improved in the short to medium term because a good few of them are still getting sodden wet through in the main on a bad weather day.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
pizzzza
December 20, 2023, 6:55pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Simon

rotate the pitch 90 degrees so the Findus stand is behind the goal

Clockwise or anti-clockwise?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
Limerick Mariner
December 20, 2023, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Dogger Bank

I'm not sure where this £40 million figure has come from. I know JS mentioned it but I disagree. I work with major construction projects and the figure to construct a football ground is way off the mark. Rotherham's ground cost £20m 10 years ago and I do know costs haven't doubled in that time. They didn't fill Millmoor but had the ambition to move and it's benefitted them. I know even £20m is out of our reach at the moment but a new ground can't be discounted in the future otherwise progression for the club will be limited staying at BP.

If there is public money involved there will be sustainability targets to hit that weren’t there 10 years ago. I’m not up to speed on commercial build cost but I’ve just seen tenders that are eyewatering for low carbon housing and yes nearly double of 10 years ago. That will only affect the internal areas - offices, hospitality etc but if we wanted a replica of Rotherham’s NY stadium I wouldn’t expect a lot of change out of JS’s £40 million. A lot depends on external works costs but I doubt £20 million would get us a Glanford Park.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
Poojah
December 20, 2023, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,543
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Dogger Bank

I'm not sure where this £40 million figure has come from. I know JS mentioned it but I disagree. I work with major construction projects and the figure to construct a football ground is way off the mark. Rotherham's ground cost £20m 10 years ago and I do know costs haven't doubled in that time. They didn't fill Millmoor but had the ambition to move and it's benefitted them. I know even £20m is out of our reach at the moment but a new ground can't be discounted in the future otherwise progression for the club will be limited staying at BP.

Rotherham’s stadium broke ground in 2011, and inflation makes that £20m roughly the equivalent of £28.2m today. You’ll know better than me since you work in construction, but it’s fairly common knowledge that the rise in cost of building materials far outstripped base inflation in the years following Covid. Whether they’ve settled down in more recent times I don’t know, but they’re certainly well above 2019 levels.

The most relevant post-Covid build that I can think of is not in this country, but Austria. LASK’s cracking Raiffeisen Arena cost €65m (£56.2m) to build for its 19,000 seats, and was constructed between 2021 and 2023. Appreciate it’s not quite this simple in practice, but extrapolating the number of seats down to a 14,000 capacity takes you to a figure of £41.4m. Keep in mind, too, that average salaries in Austria are about 30% lower than the UK.

Ultimately, I don’t work in construction, nor do I have a degree in economics, but £40m seems a pretty good finger in the air to me. I live in hope that this figure comes down in real terms over time, but for the time being the prospect of a new ground for Town remains as real as a Fenty crack pipe dream.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
December 20, 2023, 7:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from Dogger Bank

If I remember right(correct me if I'm wrong), York City's new ground cost £40 mil+ when it was built a few years ago.

Reply: 14 - 56
December 20, 2023, 7:37pm
Guest User
I'm not entirely sure why we've yet another thread about the ground.

It's been made abundantly clear that there are no plans to move or even redevelop regardless of whether it's 20 or 40 million.

Hell we don't even have the funds to pay for the training ground.

May as well be a thread about us signing Haaland.
Reply: 15 - 56
Dogger Bank
December 20, 2023, 7:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from 123614

If I remember right(correct me if I'm wrong), York City's new ground cost £40 mil+ when it was built a few years ago.

It did my friend. I'm not sure of the layout or what the whole development offers but it is classed as a community stadium. There were delays and issues with the developers that inflated the original cost estimate and I think the local authority were trying to get those costs back. Not sure how they got on. I would imagine the land value in and around York is higher than that of N E Lincolnshire so would expect that added to the overall cost. I'm not a land surveyor so this is an assumption.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
Croxton
December 20, 2023, 7:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Every Fans Forum , interview, Guardian article and podcast has been used as a tool for managing fans' expectations. Unless external investment, Council support and Govt. grants can supply either capital or financial guarantees then the prospects are zero.

If we fail to smell the coffee and continue to dream then that's all we are, dreamers. When the facts change so will the narrative. Right now, let's give the owners and new manager some space so that our league status remains the primary aim.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Mappers
December 20, 2023, 7:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Dogger Bank

It did my friend. I'm not sure of the layout or what the whole development offers but it is classed as a community stadium. There were delays and issues with the developers that inflated the original cost estimate and I think the local authority were trying to get those costs back. Not sure how they got on. I would imagine the land value in and around York is higher than that of N E Lincolnshire so would expect that added to the overall cost. I'm not a land surveyor so this is an assumption.

In the actual stadium it's quite poor for a game  but it has  decent bits on the the site - leisure centre there and gym  ,  quite good hospitality for events etc , a library ; pretty sure there is an m and s + cinema there maybe a few other bits (I have only been once a couple of years ago so a bit fuzzy) - maybe they were the 'enabling developers ' + the council funded a lot of it i think - it's very small when I went they had a restricted capacity 7k or something like that but even when fully operational i think it's only 8k maybe ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
Dogger Bank
December 20, 2023, 8:00pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Poojah

Rotherham’s stadium broke ground in 2011, and inflation makes that £20m roughly the equivalent of £28.2m today. You’ll know better than me since you work in construction, but it’s fairly common knowledge that the rise in cost of building materials far outstripped base inflation in the years following Covid. Whether they’ve settled down in more recent times I don’t know, but they’re certainly well above 2019 levels.

The most relevant post-Covid build that I can think of is not in this country, but Austria. LASK’s cracking Raiffeisen Arena cost €65m (£56.2m) to build for its 19,000 seats, and was constructed between 2021 and 2023. Appreciate it’s not quite this simple in practice, but extrapolating the number of seats down to a 14,000 capacity takes you to a figure of £41.4m. Keep in mind, too, that average salaries in Austria are about 30% lower than the UK.

Ultimately, I don’t work in construction, nor do I have a degree in economics, but £40m seems a pretty good finger in the air to me. I live in hope that this figure comes down in real terms over time, but for the time being the prospect of a new ground for Town remains as real as a Fenty crack pipe dream.

I've no doubt and agree inflation on the original cost of Rotherham's ground would affect anything built now. Also the land value in any area will be part of a developments total cost. N E Lincolnshire will be cheaper than most even though prices have increased around here in recent years.

What you said about the stadium in Austria is interesting. I'm not sure of regulations or costs in that country that may affect any development expenditure. Who knows if it's comparable to a stadium cost in Grimsby. I've just Googled and it looks pretty good though.

Until a site is highlighted and a study is completed to get a total installed cost (in my line of work a detailed level will be +/- 5%) we'll never know. I do question the £40m though with land costs in this area even if materials have increased.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Move or redevelop

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.