Son of Cod
December 21, 2023, 9:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah

Rotherham’s stadium broke ground in 2011, and inflation makes that £20m roughly the equivalent of £28.2m today. You’ll know better than me since you work in construction, but it’s fairly common knowledge that the rise in cost of building materials far outstripped base inflation in the years following Covid. Whether they’ve settled down in more recent times I don’t know, but they’re certainly well above 2019 levels.

Also work in construction, this is still absolutely the case. As a result, developers and clients are squeezing contractors and contractors are squeezing consultants and consultants are squeezing sub-consultants/contractors. Fees are up and profit margins are way down. We're busier than we ever have been but just not getting paid anywhere near an amount that results in the sort of profits we're used to for the small to medium sized jobs. The company I work for operates with a profit share scheme and it's been as high as 20% of your salary at various points over the last five or six years but next year (based on last year's books) is the first year since I've been there that we're not getting anything. We don't really work in stadium design, more office, resi, mixed use and masterplan but I'd imagine it's the same across the board. Can see things getting worse still before they stabilise, there's definitely an air of desperation around getting the bigger jobs at the moment. Both the cost of materials and Gove being on one rejecting schemes left, right and centre are having big ripple effects.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
1mickylyons
December 21, 2023, 9:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
1988 and Action 88 was the first time I remember hearing about a proposed new ground.Myself and many supporters filled out a questionnaire and returned it this has been repeated several times since . There is a huge lack of something around this area for any kind of improvement on a large scale and it's been like that all my lifetime. I  doubt I will see a new ground built its gone on far too long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
diehardmariner
December 21, 2023, 10:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Whilst this is the billionth thread on the issue and two of the most popular threads on this message board currently are about the exact same topic, I'm quite pleased the previously lurking USA Imp gave his insight onto this.  It's from a perspective I don't think most of us have heard before.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
rancido
December 21, 2023, 11:28am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Nearly all stadia new or old face this "congestion and bottlenecks " don't they? Thousands of people congregating and getting to and from the ground every couple of weeks isn't the end of the world is it?

No , it's not the end of the world but is still a major consideration in all planning applications for new builds and large developments.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
NorthseaMariner
December 21, 2023, 1:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Grimsby, the town that’s got nothing, wants nothing and will get exactly that.
Merry Christmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
December 21, 2023, 1:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from rancido

No , it's not the end of the world but is still a major consideration in all planning applications for new builds and large developments.

But my point is even with new stadia there is congestion and bottlenecks despite all the boxes being ticked.

I know what you mean that councils make ridiculous demands but most of it is box ticking.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
Sandford1981
December 21, 2023, 1:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59

But my point is even with new stadia there is congestion and bottlenecks despite all the boxes being ticked.

I know what you mean that councils make ridiculous demands but most of it is box ticking.

It’s a convenient excuse when they want it to be but, they don’t seem to give a excrement when shoehorning new housing into areas without the infrastructure to support it!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
Ruston AT
December 21, 2023, 1:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Grimsby, the town that’s got nothing, wants nothing and will get exactly that.
Merry Christmas.

Thanks!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
rancido
December 21, 2023, 2:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96

Admittedly but it is still a strong argument that would be employed by objectors. The residents of the surrounding streets to BP would have a very strong objection to any upgrading that leads to greater capacity. It's bad enough now with all the residents parking down the streets, many of which are one-way. Fans often refer to how the local parking has always been a problem but with increased car ownership this will get worse resulting in more congestion.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
crusty ole pie
December 21, 2023, 3:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,350
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from rancido

Admittedly but it is still a strong argument that would be employed by objectors. The residents of the surrounding streets to BP would have a very strong objection to any upgrading that leads to greater capacity. It's bad enough now with all the residents parking down the streets, many of which are one-way. Fans often refer to how the local parking has always been a problem but with increased car ownership this will get worse resulting in more congestion.

Car parking in 20 years time when any  new stadium may come to fruition will not be a problem by then car ownership will be for the super rich totally out priced to mere mortals who will use a unmanned Uber service. The street will be given back to the kids and street football will be reborn
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Move or redevelop

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.