forza ivano
December 19, 2023, 6:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,179
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Wyberway
Apparently Grist was £250k, which passes all the risk onto Leicester. If we could sell 2-3 of the youth squad for similar amounts, maybe with sell ons as well, then surely that’s the best option? Otherwise, I think they get lost between the youth team and the first team

Agree with this; incidentally I think there are add ons with Ben's deal.

What's the old saying? ' you can't miss what you haven't got' ?
If we get decent money for players who haven't even appeared for the first team, we'd be stupid to turn it down.
And what we do have on our side is the vast amount of experience we have in the club viz-a-vis Academies, youth development etc. in Artell, Jennings & Woods, so I'd be amazed if anyone didn't trust their judgement.

Just on a slightly different tack, I heard that the under 16s are a pretty talented bunch as well.

Can you confirm Wybers, or any other youth-watchers on here?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
It Bites
December 19, 2023, 6:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,167
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from forza ivano

Agree with this; incidentally I think there are add ons with Ben's deal.

What's the old saying? ' you can't miss what you haven't got' ?
If we get decent money for players who haven't even appeared for the first team, we'd be stupid to turn it down.
And what we do have on our side is the vast amount of experience we have in the club viz-a-vis Academies, youth development etc. in Artell, Jennings & Woods, so I'd be amazed if anyone didn't trust their judgement.

Just on a slightly different tack, I heard that the under 16s are a pretty talented bunch as well.

Can you confirm Wybers, or any other youth-watchers on here?

There is one player in the U16’s that will make it . He’s a special player and head and shoulders above any player I’ve seen at that age .
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
jimgtfc
December 19, 2023, 6:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,087
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from forza ivano

Wasn't £10k for Ben Grist!

Yep it was, I meant £100-200k. I still find it quite sad that some would rather these lads never kick a ball for the first team and just cash in, rather than see them play for town. Makes you wonder if that’s the actual point of the youth team as opposed to being a source of talent for the first team.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
forza ivano
December 19, 2023, 6:52pm

Exile
Quoted from It Bites

There is one player in the U16’s that will make it . He’s a special player and head and shoulders above any player I’ve seen at that age .

do tell more...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
It Bites
December 19, 2023, 7:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,167
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from forza ivano

do tell more...

Not fair is it ? All I’ll say is he reminds me of Mcatee
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
BrMarin
December 20, 2023, 3:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from jimgtfc

Makes you wonder if that’s the actual point of the youth team as opposed to being a source of talent for the first team.

There are benefits for the community like coaching and facilities for the youngsters 🙂
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
LocalLadGTFC
December 20, 2023, 4:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,211
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from ska face
Where did Gardner come from anyway? Understand he’s from the north east but seem to remember it being mentioned we signed him from a team in the north west - was it Morecambe?

He came from Gateshead, this team is mostly made up of players we've took from other sides with a sprinkling of local talent. Harvey Cribb has already played 15 games in L2 and is one of the most promising players we have. I'm lead to believe a few of these lads have deals on the table meaning that any fee we recieve would be substantial and obviously Cameron Gardner has already signed a 3 year deal.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 49
Wyberway
December 20, 2023, 7:45pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +43
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

He came from Gateshead, this team is mostly made up of players we've took from other sides with a sprinkling of local talent. Harvey Cribb has already played 15 games in L2 and is one of the most promising players we have. I'm lead to believe a few of these lads have deals on the table meaning that any fee we recieve would be substantial and obviously Cameron Gardner has already signed a 3 year deal.

What do you mean by ‘deals on the table’? Are there youth players refusing to sign them?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
LocalLadGTFC
December 20, 2023, 8:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,211
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Wyberway

What do you mean by ‘deals on the table’? Are there youth players refusing to sign them?

No refusal, but obviously there's a lot of interest in certain players from clubs. Could be waiting to see how it plays out but most of the players are also first years.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 49
forza ivano
December 21, 2023, 11:30am

Exile
Tweet 1737775052781699248 will appear here...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Millwall next

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.