13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
December 2, 2023, 5:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Stop flipping around and get it forward Town.

Get it on the flipping floor Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 121
hampshiremariner
December 2, 2023, 5:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,052
Gold Stars: 35
You can get it out of your own half without lumping it. Jusr don’t mess about with square balls around your own box.
Even when you watch ‘playing’ out from the back in the Prem, it is boring as hell. The worst offenders are England. Mr Maguire, for example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 121
mimma
December 2, 2023, 5:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Playing out from the back is here to stay. Artell has only had a week to train them. Believe me, he will drill them over and over until they can do it, or ship them out and replace them with players that can.
The alternative is to hit it long, but it is at best a 50 - 50 to win the ball. It doesn't work either and the ball keeps coming back at us.
Playing out from the back means the opposition either sit back to stop us playing through them, or press high up and leave spaces for us to play through.
Give it time to get it right, there will always be mistakes, but I know which I would rather watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 121
ginnywings
December 2, 2023, 5:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,146
Gold Stars: 548
Didn't take long for the just get it forward aficionados to start bleating.

Personally, I am sick of lump it up to the forwards style of play. I'd much rather we played it out from the back, and just got better at it, which takes time. There will be mistakes, but other teams make mistakes too.

Even the very top players get it wrong on occasion, but it doesn't stop them playing that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 121
hampshiremariner
December 2, 2023, 5:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,052
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from mimma
Playing out from the back is here to stay. Artell has only had a week to train them. Believe me, he will drill them over and over until they can do it, or ship them out and replace them with players that can.
The alternative is to hit it long, but it is at best a 50 - 50 to win the ball. It doesn't work either and the ball keeps coming back at us.
Playing out from the back means the opposition either sit back to stop us playing through them, or press high up and leave spaces for us to play through.
Give it time to get it right, there will always be mistakes, but I know which I would rather watch.

I hear what you say, but you need confident players with composure and skill. We just cannot afford to be giving goals away. We have lost 20 points from winning positions this season. The first prioity for the new manage should be getting us up the table.. I don’t think that will happen if we ship goals 'playing out’.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 121
MuddyWaters
December 2, 2023, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
Didn't take long for the just get it forward aficionados to start bleating.

Personally, I am sick of lump it up to the forwards style of play. I'd much rather we played it out from the back, and just got better at it, which takes time. There will be mistakes, but other teams make mistakes too.

Even the very top players get it wrong on occasion, but it doesn't stop them playing that way.

I’m happy if we play out from the back as long as it doesn’t become predictable. That said, I’m not entirely convinced that our current incumbents are good enough for it to be their best option.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 121
DB
December 2, 2023, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,024
Gold Stars: 386
I thought, at the forum, BD and SP said something like playing out from the back is more effective than ouff ball from the keeper.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 121
chaos33
December 2, 2023, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I think k it’s fair to say this - other than at the top level, ‘playing out from the back’ is going to cost you way more goals than it creates. You see it on highlights shows every week. In abundance. Watch a load of football at Championship level and below and refute that. I understand the notion of building play, and of not squandering or gambling with possession, but our defenders, by and large, have not looked dependable, consistent, sharp, and technical. On balance, I see this as a silly thing for us to be doing. It’s just a view though. If the management want to use that model- well they are way more qualified than me.

I watched Middlesbrough a lot last season and a bit this and they do this, very deliberately, under Carrick. They are a very good passing side. I’ve seen, time and again, them put themselves under ridiculous pressure and concede needless stupid goals, corners and chances because of it. From the stands - everyone is incredulous. I’ve yet to see it lead to 1 chance created thanks to 14 passes completed. Might work for Man City ….everyone else…..it’s a very high risk very low reward/yield strategy and I’m utterly amazed at how prevalent it is in the EFL.

In my opinion - and I’ve already stated that this isn’t worth tuppence as I’m not a professional coach….this is not what we should be doing and it will cause us needless pressure and avoidable goals.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 121
ginnywings
December 2, 2023, 6:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,146
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from DB
I thought, at the forum, BD and SP said something like playing out from the back is more effective than ouff ball from the keeper.

Yeah, but what do they know?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 121
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 2, 2023, 6:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from hampshiremariner
You can get it out of your own half without lumping it. Jusr don’t mess about with square balls around your own box.
Even when you watch ‘playing’ out from the back in the Prem, it is boring as hell. The worst offenders are England. Mr Maguire, for example.

But everyone does it. Other than Uruguay, almost every team in the world is boring.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 121
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Oxford FA Cup

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.