13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
December 3, 2023, 12:44am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,202
Gold Stars: 265
the point, surely, is that under PH we were passing it around at the back, but it went nowhere, apart from back along the defensive line. Under Artell it's done with far more purpose, the ball gets played forward more often, more quickly. We did it successfully half a dozen time son Tuesday and several times today.

From what I've been told the only coaching this lot got was Doig bawling n screaming from the sideline. This guy's approach is a massive change and it will take some getting used to
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 121
chaos33
December 3, 2023, 7:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Artell has had 3 training sessions with the team, probably one actual full session. He’s implemented his style on the team already and that’s how we’re going to play. Like Ange at Tottenham, he doesn’t see any other way of playing football. Sometimes it’ll win us games, sometimes it’ll lose us games but we’re going to have a good time along the way. Like he said himself it’s going to take time. Sometimes he’ll come off the pitch and have no explanation for what he’s just seen, but when it clicks we’ll be a success and we’ve already seen after 2 games in charge, 2 of the worst games you could of probably asked for by the way that we’re going to be fine. We aren’t fannying about with it at the back for no reason, the players will be drilled and learn to spot triggers. Triggers is a coaching term for when someone does something then you progress the ball forward. Man City have a trigger that when someone goes into press Rodri then Foden tucks in off the right and Walker creates an overload on the right hand side or vice versa dependant on what side of the play the ball is on. It’s quite obvious we’re going to look to create overloads in the wide areas and use Conteh as our ‘ Rodri ‘ so to speak. David will know full well what he needs in January already. You learn most about a player when he’s thrown into the deep end and I think DA will be quite pleased with what he’s seen, but he’s a perfectionist and listening to his past interviews he’s a coach. He likes to coach players and improve them so I don’t think we’ll see a lot of movement in January, maybe a couple additions for depth purposes but his bread and butter is improving players he already has and there’s a high ceiling with a lot of the players within this team. Centre half is a problem position for me though and I think the quicker we can get Charles back the better.

Good post.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 121
GrimPol
December 3, 2023, 8:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from forza ivano
the point, surely, is that under PH we were passing it around at the back, but it went nowhere, apart from back along the defensive line. Under Artell it's done with far more purpose, the ball gets played forward more often, more quickly. We did it successfully half a dozen time son Tuesday and several times today.

From what I've been told the only coaching this lot got was Doig bawling n screaming from the sideline. This guy's approach is a massive change and it will take some getting used to

You have to admit that since Doncaster the matches are more watchable. The two matches with DA have been a step up.

The only conclusion is that it's a pity DA wasn't in a bit earlier and that the trigger, using 20/20 hindsight, should have been much earlier on PH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 121
lew chaterleys lover
December 3, 2023, 8:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano

That is exactly the point. Playing your way into attacking positions starts with the keeper, through the defenders and midfield to create chances. The alternative is to hoist it 60 yards and hope for the best.

I hated Hurst's idea of possession football with this squad, as it was ridiculously slow and cumbersome,  and the forward movement non existant, but that is not the way it should be played.

Interesting you should mention the lack of coaching from the previous regime as that was so obvious from the stands. The giveaway was Hurst often saying he "told" the players and they didn't do it, and I presume that is why we endlessly signed players and replaced them without coaching them to their potential.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 121
chaos33
December 3, 2023, 9:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
That does look like a logical conclusion doesn’t it. Also, there often seemed to be little ‘in game’ coaching from PH; usually he was inanimate on the touch line with arms folded.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 121
forza ivano
December 3, 2023, 9:18am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,202
Gold Stars: 265
I think you may have hit the nail.on the head Lew. Hurst TOLD the players what to do, reinforced ( enforced?) by Doig shouting n screaming ar them.Old School.. Artell has the modern approach, arm round the shoulder, explaining, cajoling on how he wants to play, n why they need to do a,b or c
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 121
toontown
December 3, 2023, 10:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from chaos33
I think k it’s fair to say this - other than at the top level, ‘playing out from the back’ is going to cost you way more goals than it creates. You see it on highlights shows every week. In abundance. Watch a load of football at Championship level and below and refute that. I understand the notion of building play, and of not squandering or gambling with possession, but our defenders, by and large, have not looked dependable, consistent, sharp, and technical. On balance, I see this as a silly thing for us to be doing. It’s just a view though. If the management want to use that model- well they are way more qualified than me.

I watched Middlesbrough a lot last season and a bit this and they do this, very deliberately, under Carrick. They are a very good passing side. I’ve seen, time and again, them put themselves under ridiculous pressure and concede needless stupid goals, corners and chances because of it. From the stands - everyone is incredulous. I’ve yet to see it lead to 1 chance created thanks to 14 passes completed. Might work for Man City ….everyone else…..it’s a very high risk very low reward/yield strategy and I’m utterly amazed at how prevalent it is in the EFL.

In my opinion - and I’ve already stated that this isn’t worth tuppence as I’m not a professional coach….this is not what we should be doing and it will cause us needless pressure and avoidable goals.

Totally this. Successfully Playing out from the back, each time you do it, leads to a tiny fractional increase in likelihood of scoring a goal at the other end. Unsuccessfully playing it out from the back leads to an enormous risk of conceding. It's a very high risk, low reward tactic in my opinion.

You can play good football without having the goalkeeper playing it to a defender under pressure on the edge of his own box with his back to the opposition. The likelihood of the above situation leading to a goal against is more than it leading to a goal for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 121
ska face
December 3, 2023, 11:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from toontown

You can play good football without having the goalkeeper playing it to a defender under pressure on the edge of his own box with his back to the opposition. The likelihood of the above situation leading to a goal against is more than it leading to a goal for.

And how often does that happen? Not like town fans to get worked up about an unlikely, imaginary scenario. Yeah you might see one or two examples a week on the highlights, out of probably 80-100 goals on an average weekend, but they’re notable by virtue of being unusual. Maybe 1 goal a week from how many hundreds or thousands of goal kicks & restarts?

Over time - maybe not 5 days - you end up building a squad of players capable of better decision making. Better on the ball, braver, well drilled and with a better idea of what their next pass or movement will be. The sooner you get the ball into play, the sooner you can start to dictate what happens. A normal goal kick might get the ball 60 yards from your goal, but it’s a lottery what happens next - might go out of play, might run through, might come straight back down your throat, and 95% of the time you end up having to scrap it out in the middle of the park just to get possession in a congested area with players unsure if they’ll be going forwards or backwards.

Hurst was always described as “pragmatic”, which is fair enough. But ultimately if you’re always setting up to stop how you think the opposition might play, or to stop certain scenarios, you’re just building a team of stoppers and hoping something drops for you at the other end, you’re not building your own capabilities. It also means you end up chopping & changing personnel, tactics, lineups every week, so players struggle to build familiarity and routine.

I’d much rather us build our own capacity as a team, individuals, style of play etc. and have the opposition try and beat us at our game, than try & out think the opposition with a different strategy every match.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 121
lew chaterleys lover
December 3, 2023, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ska face

And how often does that happen? Not like town fans to get worked up about an unlikely, imaginary scenario. Yeah you might see one or two examples a week on the highlights, out of probably 80-100 goals on an average weekend, but they’re notable by virtue of being unusual. Maybe 1 goal a week from how many hundreds or thousands of goal kicks & restarts?

Over time - maybe not 5 days - you end up building a squad of players capable of better decision making. Better on the ball, braver, well drilled and with a better idea of what their next pass or movement will be. The sooner you get the ball into play, the sooner you can start to dictate what happens. A normal goal kick might get the ball 60 yards from your goal, but it’s a lottery what happens next - might go out of play, might run through, might come straight back down your throat, and 95% of the time you end up having to scrap it out in the middle of the park just to get possession in a congested area with players unsure if they’ll be going forwards or backwards.

Hurst was always described as “pragmatic”, which is fair enough. But ultimately if you’re always setting up to stop how you think the opposition might play, or to stop certain scenarios, you’re just building a team of stoppers and hoping something drops for you at the other end, you’re not building your own capabilities. It also means you end up chopping & changing personnel, tactics, lineups every week, so players struggle to build familiarity and routine.

I’d much rather us build our own capacity as a team, individuals, style of play etc. and have the opposition try and beat us at our game, than try & out think the opposition with a different strategy every match.

That analysis is spot on. We have to build that identity and stick with it despite the outside chance of the odd difficult moment. Every signing from here on in will be with this particular way of playing in mind, rather than the scattergun and hope it all gels approach.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 121
buckstown
December 3, 2023, 12:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
The thing that struck me towards the end of the PH reign was our lack of movement. It’s ok getting your full back to bomb on but if everyone is standing still your stuffed
Saw was more movement at MK than we have for ages, and it’s the difference between playing out from the back with high risk factor and doing it with relative comfort
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 121
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Oxford FA Cup

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.