Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back (merged)

This thread currently has 7,586 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 28, 2023, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
To the fridge for a top up of Pinot Grigio.

Wow. What an amazing performance from town. Real chalk and cheese from what has gone on previously this season and a breath of fresh air. That’s usually how teams play against us!

Glennons injury for me was the defining point of the game. We lost shape a bit and seemed like we lost a bit of drive forward.

Don’t let that take anything away from an amazing performance from town and the fans that made the journey too.

Motm….. Toby mullarkey for me

A point would’ve been taken am sure pre match. We could’ve on all reality taken 3. But, well played to the players and well done to those that made the journey

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Theimperialcoroner
November 28, 2023, 10:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Cheeky little win on Saturday would be lovely.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 52
headingly_mariner
November 28, 2023, 10:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,378
Gold Stars: 116
Played really well and should've won. Injuries majorly cost us, Pyke is a steady finisher and Glennon was a real creative spark.

Loved seeing Hunt swagger around with the ball. He'll be in the team regularly. Hope to see him continue to get the ball in advanced positions. Ainley, Eisa and Mullarkey all should've scored a winner!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 52
Theimperialcoroner
November 28, 2023, 10:13pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Very close to what would have been a fine win. Both Eisas should’ve won it. I’d say on balance we deserved that. The passing across the back line scares me silly, but the way we moved the ball up the pitch was delicious at times. Difficult to pick fault with any Town players tonight even if with an ounce more composure we win that 3 or 4 :1

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 52
Mappers
November 28, 2023, 10:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
In Spoons MK

Superb tonight but we need to convert

Neat and tidy football with build up .

Refreshing and hopefully a sign of things to come

UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 52
barralad
November 28, 2023, 10:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
A famous manager once said "Football bloody hell". The turn round from Saturday's depressing dirge was bordering on miraculous. All of a sudden we had players working for each otther, excellent, crisp passing and a willingness to get the ball into areas that could hurt the opposition...at speed. First half was the best 45 of the season so far. Great work from Rose and a typically smart finish from Pike. The defence was organised and snuffed out most of what MKD could conjure up.
Second half for the first 30 mintes belonged to the home team but the fact they scored from what was virtually their only shot on target again showed what improvement there was from Town. The last 15 minutes was notable for the fact that we created at least hour really good chances one of which at least should've been buried. It wouldn't be Town without an injury time scare but definitely a game we can consider us unlucky not to win.
So many candidates for M.O.M.
Hunt supèrb - driving forward and exhibiting the range of passing we know he has. Conteh playing a bit further forward won just about everything. Clifton slotted in very well at the bavk when Glennon injured. Mullarkey rampaging down the right particularly second half and Rose making a real nuisance of himself.
It's early (Very) days but if that's what Artell can do after one session we just vould be looking at better times ahead.
Stella Artell.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 52
lukeo
November 28, 2023, 10:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Safe journey home fella.
Brilliant from town could have easily won it but could easily have lost it at the end. 3 or 4 brilliant performances but felt everyone stepped up.
1 thing I do like is the intensity and pace of which we move the ball from back to front.
Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 52
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
November 28, 2023, 10:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,699
Gold Stars: 72
Tweet 1729630701249581390 will appear here...

Post match interview
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 52
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 28, 2023, 10:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Mrs Cummingstackle and myself have left MK very frustrated. With better finishing we could have hammered them. If they'd finished better we could have left with nothing.

First half was the best from Town in a long time, MK were better in the second half after (I assume) a HT boll*cking. But it could have been 3 points.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 52
Son of Cod
November 28, 2023, 10:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from barralad
A famous manager once said "Football bloody hell". The turn round from Saturday's depressing dirge was bordering on miraculous. All of a sudden we had players working for each otther, excellent, crisp passing and a willingness to get the ball into areas that could hurt the opposition...at speed. First half was the best 45 of the season so far. Great work from Rose and a typically smart finish from Pike. The defence was organised and snuffed out most of what MKD could conjure up.
Second half for the first 30 mintes belonged to the home team but the fact they scored from what was virtually their only shot on target again showed what improvement there was from Town. The last 15 minutes was notable for the fact that we created at least hour really good chances one of which at least should've been buried. It wouldn't be Town without an injury time scare but definitely a game we can consider us unlucky not to win.
So many candidates for M.O.M.
Hunt supèrb - driving forward and exhibiting the range of passing we know he has. Conteh playing a bit further forward won just about everything. Clifton slotted in very well at the bavk when Glennon injured. Mullarkey rampaging down the right particularly second half and Rose making a real nuisance of himself.
It's early (Very) days but if that's what Artell can do after one session we just vould be looking at better times ahead.
Stella Artell.

Bang on. Hunt was very good. I really don't get why Hurst insisted he was more of an anchor man/holding midfielder. Get that silky little wizard on the edge of the opponent's box for me, really pleased to see Artell use him like that. Some excellent touches from him throughout the second half. The only criticism of his performance I would have is that he could have been a bit greedier on a few occasions and shot when he picked a pass.

What a ridiculous venue for L2 football too. My first time there and definite Darlington vibes. Milton Keynes an absolute pain to walk around too using Google Maps.

Also David Artell's Black and White Army doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, can we please ditch a syllable and go with Dave?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 52
LocalLadGTFC
November 28, 2023, 11:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,220
Gold Stars: 137
Tweet 1729630701249581390 will appear here...

Post match interview

Everyone is buzzing about how good we was on the deck and he says we are a million miles away, certainly raised a smile on my face and I can't wait to go on this journey.. Stella Artel in hand.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 52
toontown
November 28, 2023, 11:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Hunt looks so so much better bombing forward with the ball than playing on the tip toes of Central defenders as a deep midfielder. My only criticism of him would be sometimes went for extravagant Hollywood balls from a deep position when it wasn't necessary. Superb run that so nearly set up a goal though. Surely played his way back into the starting 11?

The whole team was transformed though in terms of some crisp passing and speed of movement. Would have taken a draw before kick off but ended up really disappointed we didn't win. Massive improvement and more from Artell please!

Hopefully he can sort out our appalling retention of the ball when we have a throw in as well, were bloody awful at them and have been for ages now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
Limerick Mariner
November 28, 2023, 11:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from barralad
Stella Artell.

Splendid. Reassuringly expensive as well as Jason Stockwood would no doubt say…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
buckstown
November 28, 2023, 11:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Well, hands up if you'd have taken a point before kick off? Hands up if your gutted it wasn't three.
That was so much better than I dared to hope, neat tidy passing, good pressing, composure and boy they worked hard tonight. Just a shame the finishing wasn't better because we would have won that handsomely.
We were far and away the better team in the first half and  2-0 would have been a fair reflection. Second half more even as we seemed to sit back more. Interesting that DA indicated that wasn't the plan but the players "reverted to type". My view was that their subs made a bigger impact on the game than ours did in the second half. Having said that we still made very good chances
When I first saw Rodgers, Mullarkey and Conteh I thought they looked very good signings and that's what I thought again walking away tonight. They're back, as was Alex Hunt who played like a man with a very large point to prove.  Thought Gnahoua was excellent as well tonight, there's a proper footballer in there
It's only one game, but if that's what we can come to expect we won't be in trouble
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 52
grimsby pete
November 29, 2023, 12:29am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
I predicted a draw but it could have been 3 points instead of just 1,

Well that's the first game of the new era done looking forward to read the fishy after a game now instead of how boring it was.

Takes our unbeaten run to six games now keep it up lads.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
Bogtrotter
November 29, 2023, 12:31am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted Text
Well, hands up if you'd have taken a point before kick off?

Hand gong up. Convinced we were due a drumming. Happy with that result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
stuart brace was king
November 29, 2023, 2:12am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +145
Quoted from Son of Cod

Bang on. Hunt was very good. I really don't get why Hurst insisted he was more of an anchor man/holding midfielder. Get that silky little wizard on the edge of the opponent's box for me, really pleased to see Artell use him like that. Some excellent touches from him throughout the second half. The only criticism of his performance I would have is that he could have been a bit greedier on a few occasions and shot when he picked a pass.

What a ridiculous venue for L2 football too. My first time there and definite Darlington vibes. Milton Keynes an absolute pain to walk around too using Google Maps.

Also David Artell's Black and White Army doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, can we please ditch a syllable and go with Dave?

Stella Artell's Black and White Army ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
grimps
November 29, 2023, 4:16am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Very close to what would have been a fine win. Both Eisas should’ve won it. I’d say on balance we deserved that. The passing across the back line scares me silly, but the way we moved the ball up the pitch was delicious at times. Difficult to pick fault with any Town players tonight even if with an ounce more composure we win that 3 or 4 :1

Yeah the playing it around in the box gave me flash backs of Holloways team but without the ball coming straight back or being taken off a defender
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
HertsGTFC
November 29, 2023, 7:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,952
Gold Stars: 228
On the face of it a much better performance and one where we didn’t wilt when it went to 1 - 1.

I think the pitch size helped with being able to pass & move better, we’ll have to work a lot harder though to find space at home and several away grounds but if we have that application & intent we’ll certainly improve.

There were signs under Ben & Shaun but last night looked like another game where the fear factor reduced a bit more especially towards the end when we still insisted on attacking with 4 players up there rather than “settling for a point”.

Hopefully the knocks to Glennon & Pyke won’t be too serious as both have added real value in the last couple of weeks.

As DA eludes to that was just a glimpse and there’s loads of work ahead to get us up the table and playing decent football.

The other thing that resonated last night is that the players looked like they’re enjoyed it which if that builds will be a real factor in any improvement.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
pontoonlew
November 29, 2023, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,040
Gold Stars: 177
Last night left me convinced that we have do have the right players, we just need them playing in the right way. For us to have already started playing with a real identity after 24 hours gives me some real hope that we’ve landed a really good coach here.

It was night and day compared to every other performance this season and was actually enjoyable to watch for once, that’s all we can really ask for at this point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
Spurn boy
November 29, 2023, 9:15am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
There can’t be many games where two brothers come on as subs for both teams though town’s Eisa played better than his brother who missed an absolute sitter at the end when it looked easier to score than miss.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
OddShapedBalls
November 29, 2023, 9:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
Big picture, is that now 6 games undefeated in all competitions? I know 2 games were versus Slough etc but even so that's not the form of a team in 20th.  With ar'tell in place and the uncertainty gone you've got to hope there will be improvements over the next few weeks and a return to good old mid-table obscurity by January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
SpiritOf98
November 29, 2023, 9:39am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
Big picture, is that now 6 games undefeated in all competitions? I know 2 games were versus Slough etc but even so that's not the form of a team in 20th.  With ar'tell in place and the uncertainty gone you've got to hope there will be improvements over the next few weeks and a return to good old mid-table obscurity by January.

Form is everything now in this Xmas run up, we've drawn the last 3, preceded by a win, decent form. Colchester have lost their last 3, worrying for them. And Morecombe of course in freefall with 4 defeats on the trot.
Just got to start grabbing those wins, especially at home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
Jarmo.Is.God
November 29, 2023, 9:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
In simple terms for me, i'm much more relaxed about the 2nd half of the season than i was a week ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
It Bites
November 29, 2023, 9:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,205
Gold Stars: 265
One thing I was happy about was  The Manager barking out the orders and the assistant with the board rather than the GK coach
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
Poojah
November 29, 2023, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,576
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

We've turned four straight defeats before Hurst's departure into six games unbeaten. As you point out, there's some context needed about those six games; two against a NLS side in the cup and two league games against sides currently adrift in the League Two relegation zone, but it's certainly a good platform for a new manager to build on, as was the performance in general last night.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
devs
November 29, 2023, 10:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Sutton and MK Dons are about as far apart in football style as you can get
Sutton are brutal and ugly and we got dragged into their style - hence turgid performance
MK play good stuff and allowed us to play
- we went toe to toe with a very good passing team who were L1 last season
Shows where our strength is in terms of players

Hunt, Clifton, Conteh could be midfield three
I think Ainlee will push for a place - he looks a good footballer

Khan, Eisa, Wilson (Vernam when fit) all need to do much more on a regular basis; they don't affect games enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
Mariner_09
November 29, 2023, 11:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from devs
Sutton are brutal and ugly and we got dragged into their style - hence turgid performance

Khan, Eisa, Wilson (Vernam when fit) all need to do much more on a regular basis; they don't affect games enough

2 of those will have to play on Saturday with Pyke going off injured last night.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
Roast Em Bobby
November 29, 2023, 11:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from devs

The acid test for me is whether the team (and Hunt in particular) can play good football like last night against the likes of Sutton (whose style is probably more representative of more L2 teams than MKDs is)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
GrimPol
November 29, 2023, 11:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Poojah

We've turned four straight defeats before Hurst's departure into six games unbeaten. As you point out, there's some context needed about those six games; two against a NLS side in the cup and two league games against sides currently adrift in the League Two relegation zone, but it's certainly a good platform for a new manager to build on, as was the performance in general last night.

What's "praise through gritted teeth" called from a keyboard context I wonder?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
diehardmariner
November 29, 2023, 12:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I watched that game with a smile on my face for the majority of it, was just simply enjoyable to watch.

So, so encouraging that we're capable of that standard of football and you can only hope it gets better.

I thought Hunt and Ainley both made great shouts for a start in the next game, Hunt is a completely different animal when he's got the shackles off him.  As much as I've shouted for Hunt to get a chance, I was a bit sceptical when he was paired with Conteh once Glennon went off.  I think I was almost expecting it to become two deep lying midfielders when it was more like two No 8's allowed to switch between attacking and defending.  When Ainley came in they seemed to just have this perfect little triangle working at times.

I really like Gnahoua in the No 10 role too, his quick feet and work-rate were a real asset.

Standard well and truly set.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
Son of Cod
November 29, 2023, 12:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from devs

Harsh on Khan that, in my opinion. He was good last night, he's tidy and doesn't give the ball away. Decent work rate too, which is more than can be said for Eisa. I think Khan fits in better with where we're hopefully going than Eisa. I'd argue that if Khan is allowing Glennon to get into more advanced positions then he is affecting the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
diehardmariner
November 29, 2023, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Good point on Khan allowed Glennon to be a bit more attacking.  

I like Khan but always felt that he doesn't have enough of an output from his game, but you could see last night how he could quite nicely fit in with this style of play.  Quick feet, nippy off the ball, decent movement with it and happy to hassle defenders.

So easy to get excited after one performance but there suddenly seems to be loads of options in key positions.  Can't recall who said it, apologies, but it definitely feels a bit like it's not a case that our players weren't good enough - just that they weren't getting used in the right way.  Davies and Pearson gave them a confidence boost in recent weeks but Artell looks to have really given them belief (based on last night anyway).
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
mariner91
November 29, 2023, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from diehardmariner
I watched that game with a smile on my face for the majority of it, was just simply enjoyable to watch.

So, so encouraging that we're capable of that standard of football and you can only hope it gets better.

I thought Hunt and Ainley both made great shouts for a start in the next game, Hunt is a completely different animal when he's got the shackles off him.  As much as I've shouted for Hunt to get a chance, I was a bit sceptical when he was paired with Conteh once Glennon went off.  I think I was almost expecting it to become two deep lying midfielders when it was more like two No 8's allowed to switch between attacking and defending.  When Ainley came in they seemed to just have this perfect little triangle working at times.

I really like Gnahoua in the No 10 role too, his quick feet and work-rate were a real asset.

Agree. I like Gnahoua and would go as far as saying that after Rose and Conteh he was our next best signing this summer. I think he's a clever player too and beyond the obvious ability that Eisa has to tw@t it in from 30 yards, I actually think Gnahoua gives defences more to think about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
acko338
November 29, 2023, 12:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Got to say that Kamil Conteh was a revelation last night.

Stats said 97% pass completion success.

That didn't take into account how many times he received passes in poor or tight situations and made the right moves to retain the ball safely, and then pass to a Town player.

If looking at tv stats, our team pass success went up to an overall 85%, which has jumped from the last fame which was around 65%.

The quality of retention can be seen by non stat loving fans by  praise for those selected along with the subs.

What a difference 1 hour of concentrated training has achieved to raise the team spirit and endeavour.

Moving onwards !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
listy
November 29, 2023, 12:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -26
Gold Stars: 3
Well what a performance. I turned up expecting a defeat but hoping for a win. Straight from the KIck off i was purring. the ball was played back and we passed it not hoofed it up front. Great to see, I still do not know why teams who want to play possession football but hoof it from the kick off, a pleasing site. They absolutely scared me silly with the passing at the back but they did not panic and looked comfortable.  If Artell can do that after one training session then all looks good.  it was crisp one touch football at times and players working with and for each.A delight to see. Conteh looked very comfortable in midfield and Glennon on the left was a good outlet. Then Mullarky was the outlet in the second half. Just a bit better finishing and we could have won that game. the only downside was we didn't press there defence enough like they did to use. But a delight if not scary at times until we get used to this style of play. It looked like Artell had turned us in Man city at times. things are looking good from one game anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
Son of Cod
November 29, 2023, 1:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from acko338
Got to say that Kamil Conteh was a revelation last night.

Stats said 97% pass completion success.

That didn't take into account how many times he received passes in poor or tight situations and made the right moves to retain the ball safely, and then pass to a Town player.

Yep, Conteh was very good last night. One thing you don't see him always get the credit for, probably because he has other more obvious attributes, is his engine. He puts in a right shift more often than not.

I thought we were much better in those tight spots all round too, not just Conteh. MK Dons are a pressing side off the ball too from what I gather, so it wasn't a case of them giving us too much space. We just moved the ball quicker and had the confidence to play the ball early.

Quoted from listy
They absolutely scared me silly with the passing at the back

You and me both! That's going to take a bit of getting used to, I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
Grantley
November 29, 2023, 1:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Can last night put to bed the notion that the summer recruitment was excrement? The players are more than good enough but have just been coached pretty poorly.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
IlkleyMariner
November 29, 2023, 1:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Grantley
Can last night put to bed the notion that the summer recruitment was excrement? The players are more than good enough but have just been coached pretty poorly.

Personally I always thought we had good players but could not understand why we played crap.

I go back to the first half at Bradford when we were brilliant. Bradford allowed us to play. Last night it sounds like MKD allowed us to play in the first half. Our next challenge is how to win ugly against teams of scrappers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
LocalLadGTFC
November 29, 2023, 1:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Personally I always thought we had good players but could not understand why we played crap.

I go back to the first half at Bradford when we were brilliant. Bradford allowed us to play. Last night it sounds like MKD allowed us to play in the first half. Our next challenge is how to win ugly against teams of scrappers.

They tried to press us multiple times, we played through it beautifully.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 52
Mappers
November 29, 2023, 1:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from diehardmariner

We schooled them first half especially , a bit like Barrow did to us at BP - I really enjoyed it . Some of the touches were exceptional 1 move first have we absolutely took them to pieces with slick one touch football , and the Alex Hunt piece of Skill second half was delightful . They have set the bar now - play like that , convert more and it will be an exciting second half of the season .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
Trevor Whymark
November 29, 2023, 2:48pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +15
Gold Stars: 9
Even the cancelled trains back to Euston and standing at Milton kynes Station at 11 30pm  waiting couldn't dent the pride when watching gtfc  tonight  the approach play the way they played out the back won the encounters in midfield movement upfront   ,little more luck composure in front goal  .It nice to hear supporters  getting behind them .Why they can't allow us  to stand behind goal stuck us up in gods who knows .why.Onwards to Oxford  Saturday with another hour of training for the squad on Thursday who knows
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
DB
November 29, 2023, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
It was a delight to watch Town last night. A team beginning a transformation to what we know they can do. They played with motivation, enthusiasm with team spirit devoid earlier on in the season.

The 610 fans who went also deserve a mention, far more than was predicted, who cheered the team on throughout the night.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
November 29, 2023, 3:29pm
Guest User
It would be interesting to hear a current players take on why things have changed drastically in the past few weeks.  As an outsider, it seems to me that maybe players where asked to play in a certain way by PH that didn't really suit them, or that some of them didn't have the attributes to play as requested.   I guess we will never know.
Reply: 43 - 52
LocalLadGTFC
November 29, 2023, 4:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from 123614
It would be interesting to hear a current players take on why things have changed drastically in the past few weeks.  As an outsider, it seems to me that maybe players where asked to play in a certain way by PH that didn't really suit them, or that some of them didn't have the attributes to play as requested.   I guess we will never know.

It's been picked up in certain interviews, SP and BD have changed certain things that PH did such as instructing the full backs to bomb on rather than tuck in. Watching DA BTS of training he focused on how we recieve the ball and how we distribute it which was in display last night. Players were recieving the ball in good areas and movement off the ball made it easy for players when they have the ball. As for the PH thing, we all knew what a Paul Hurst team was, he's given many of us the best moments of our life watching Town playing in that way so I think to constantly undermine him by saying players were asked to play in a certain way is just unfair.. we don't know what happened and creating a narrative isn't helping anyone. He's gone, we all wish him well and it's time to move on.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 52
forza ivano
November 29, 2023, 7:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Grantley

or hadn't been coached at all?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
MuddyWaters
November 29, 2023, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from forza ivano

or hadn't been coached at all?

Well it does make you wonder 🤔
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
ginnywings
November 29, 2023, 8:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
I've always thought the new players were an upgrade on last season. At the start, Mullarkey, Rodgers, Conteh and Rose all looked excellent, but only Rose has carried that on for the rest of the season so far. Gnahoua and Pyke have improved in that time and both look well capable now.

The problem seemed to be with PH not being able to transition to as more possession based game, and he seemed to be caught between two stools all the time. The lack of clarity for the players led to indecisiveness and lots of narrow defeats and draws, affecting confidence.

Only two of our defeats have been by more than one goal and we kept coming out on the wrong side of the results. There are teams way higher than us who have lost the same or more games than we have, but our inability to see games through has cost us dear.

So far, we have been a nearly team and could quite easily have been further up the table if we could stop chucking away leads and start to convert more the chances we make. We definitely have more to come I feel.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
gtfc_chris
November 30, 2023, 8:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Bit behind casting a view but I think over the 90 minutes that has to feature as our best game so far, and beyond that when looking at it as a game in general it was a fantastic advert for League 2 in general, I think the manner in which both teams played wouldn't look out of place in the Premier League, with the obvious difference being the quality.

Personally, I think that our opening 5-8 games of the season were played in a very similar way, the first half at Bradford especially was one of the more dominant performances I've seen of a Town team ever. It all started to fall away as the pressure built and it became much more lacking in purpose.

In the games since SP and BD have taken over I think we've just refreshed little aspects of what came before to give us a bit more attacking impetus and the bit I noticed more was our willingness to play forward into the strikers feet more than we did. Even in those early games when our possession was good, we always went wide and for me it was a huge limitation in what was otherwise good football.

Tuesday was what SP and BD have been offering but cranked up a level. Perhaps the way MK play gave us the licence to showcase more of what we're about, whether an added level was given by the players with the new guy in place and wanting to cement places but it was certainly a very commanding display.

What I particularly liked (others around me didn't!) was our willingness to pass the ball, notably around the box. It can be a little scary but I would much prefer them to actually play than just lump it forward. One particular person asked what 'those two idiots are doing there', when Maher and Rodgers offered on the 6 yard line for a goal kick. 15 passes or so later and we missed a chance, but of course booting up field for their centre backs to win would have been much better.

Couldn't think of a single player who looked out of place and despite missing a few great chances I liked the look of Ainley who could have a big part to play if he can get fitter and replicate more of the good work he did. Hunt had arguably his best performance so far this season and will certainly have caught the managers eye, and with Gav having an uncharacteristically bad game against Sutton, DA may well have made a decision in respect of early pecking order.

Mullarkey and Glennon both looked great, I think Glennon in particular looks the most refreshed player in the squad since the departure of PH which does make you wonder if there is something in rumours of a rift with Doig. I also thought Rose showed more of what he can do. That's not saying I think Rose has been poor, but I don't think we've played into him and used his ability on the ball as much as we could have but he linked really well with players willing to run a little beyond.

Pyke scoring again showed that actually he does have goals in him. I was very much a critic a few weeks back, not because he wasn't scoring goals but because he looked lazy and unwilling to work hard. He's impressing me more and more and even if he doesn't buzz around in the same way Rose does, if he can keep putting it away then we can forgive him that. Considering that Rose, Wilson and Pyke have all scored more goals already (all comps) than Orsi and Taylor combined last season proves our striker recruitment in the summer was an improvement.

If there is more to come from Town, and this isn't where we want to be then it could a very exciting time. Not from a point of negativity but I'm not going to get carried away too much because it's a big ask to improve on what was a great performance on Tuesday. If he can achieve it, and this performance ends up being considered 'meh' in reflection of what could come then it would certainly confirm that his appointment is a fantastic one. That's a pressure I think is unfair to burden him with after one game so a lot more time is needed but it is certainly an encouraging start and I'm looking forward to the next few weeks and how we progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
Spurn boy
November 30, 2023, 12:16pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
I watched an interview with Shaun Pearson a couple of weeks ago in which he spoke about players who didn’t just become bad players but after consistently conceding goals and loosing games had lost confidence and as fans we couldn’t expect them to regain confidence immediately, I think the games that SP and BD were in charge for certainly helped the players but they have now been lifted to a new level with the appointment of Dave Artell . It showed on Tuesday night with his instructions from the pitch side what he wanted the players to do and how to do it which is something I haven’t seen for a long time. Paul Hurst was a good manager for us but I believe DA will take us to a higher level with his more encouraging management style. Hopefully competition for a starting place on the team sheet will help the players play better. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
TownSNAFU5
November 30, 2023, 4:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
If we had saved even half of the lost points from being ahead in games, then we would be in a much stronger position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 52
arryarryarry
November 30, 2023, 4:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
If we had saved even half of the lost points from being ahead in games, then we would be in a much stronger position.

If my lottery numbers had come up so would I.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 52
friskneymariner
November 30, 2023, 7:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Whenwe were relagated under Neil Woods it was not because we lost too many,but drew those we should have won.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 52
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.