Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back (merged)

This thread currently has 7,588 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
November 29, 2023, 12:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I watched that game with a smile on my face for the majority of it, was just simply enjoyable to watch.

So, so encouraging that we're capable of that standard of football and you can only hope it gets better.

I thought Hunt and Ainley both made great shouts for a start in the next game, Hunt is a completely different animal when he's got the shackles off him.  As much as I've shouted for Hunt to get a chance, I was a bit sceptical when he was paired with Conteh once Glennon went off.  I think I was almost expecting it to become two deep lying midfielders when it was more like two No 8's allowed to switch between attacking and defending.  When Ainley came in they seemed to just have this perfect little triangle working at times.

I really like Gnahoua in the No 10 role too, his quick feet and work-rate were a real asset.

Standard well and truly set.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
Son of Cod
November 29, 2023, 12:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from devs
Sutton and MK Dons are about as far apart in football style as you can get
Sutton are brutal and ugly and we got dragged into their style - hence turgid performance
MK play good stuff and allowed us to play
- we went toe to toe with a very good passing team who were L1 last season
Shows where our strength is in terms of players

Hunt, Clifton, Conteh could be midfield three
I think Ainlee will push for a place - he looks a good footballer

Khan, Eisa, Wilson (Vernam when fit) all need to do much more on a regular basis; they don't affect games enough

Harsh on Khan that, in my opinion. He was good last night, he's tidy and doesn't give the ball away. Decent work rate too, which is more than can be said for Eisa. I think Khan fits in better with where we're hopefully going than Eisa. I'd argue that if Khan is allowing Glennon to get into more advanced positions then he is affecting the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
diehardmariner
November 29, 2023, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Good point on Khan allowed Glennon to be a bit more attacking.  

I like Khan but always felt that he doesn't have enough of an output from his game, but you could see last night how he could quite nicely fit in with this style of play.  Quick feet, nippy off the ball, decent movement with it and happy to hassle defenders.

So easy to get excited after one performance but there suddenly seems to be loads of options in key positions.  Can't recall who said it, apologies, but it definitely feels a bit like it's not a case that our players weren't good enough - just that they weren't getting used in the right way.  Davies and Pearson gave them a confidence boost in recent weeks but Artell looks to have really given them belief (based on last night anyway).
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
mariner91
November 29, 2023, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from diehardmariner
I watched that game with a smile on my face for the majority of it, was just simply enjoyable to watch.

So, so encouraging that we're capable of that standard of football and you can only hope it gets better.

I thought Hunt and Ainley both made great shouts for a start in the next game, Hunt is a completely different animal when he's got the shackles off him.  As much as I've shouted for Hunt to get a chance, I was a bit sceptical when he was paired with Conteh once Glennon went off.  I think I was almost expecting it to become two deep lying midfielders when it was more like two No 8's allowed to switch between attacking and defending.  When Ainley came in they seemed to just have this perfect little triangle working at times.

I really like Gnahoua in the No 10 role too, his quick feet and work-rate were a real asset.

Standard well and truly set.

Agree. I like Gnahoua and would go as far as saying that after Rose and Conteh he was our next best signing this summer. I think he's a clever player too and beyond the obvious ability that Eisa has to tw@t it in from 30 yards, I actually think Gnahoua gives defences more to think about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
acko338
November 29, 2023, 12:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Got to say that Kamil Conteh was a revelation last night.

Stats said 97% pass completion success.

That didn't take into account how many times he received passes in poor or tight situations and made the right moves to retain the ball safely, and then pass to a Town player.

If looking at tv stats, our team pass success went up to an overall 85%, which has jumped from the last fame which was around 65%.

The quality of retention can be seen by non stat loving fans by  praise for those selected along with the subs.

What a difference 1 hour of concentrated training has achieved to raise the team spirit and endeavour.

Moving onwards !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
listy
November 29, 2023, 12:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -26
Gold Stars: 3
Well what a performance. I turned up expecting a defeat but hoping for a win. Straight from the KIck off i was purring. the ball was played back and we passed it not hoofed it up front. Great to see, I still do not know why teams who want to play possession football but hoof it from the kick off, a pleasing site. They absolutely scared me silly with the passing at the back but they did not panic and looked comfortable.  If Artell can do that after one training session then all looks good.  it was crisp one touch football at times and players working with and for each.A delight to see. Conteh looked very comfortable in midfield and Glennon on the left was a good outlet. Then Mullarky was the outlet in the second half. Just a bit better finishing and we could have won that game. the only downside was we didn't press there defence enough like they did to use. But a delight if not scary at times until we get used to this style of play. It looked like Artell had turned us in Man city at times. things are looking good from one game anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
Son of Cod
November 29, 2023, 1:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from acko338
Got to say that Kamil Conteh was a revelation last night.

Stats said 97% pass completion success.

That didn't take into account how many times he received passes in poor or tight situations and made the right moves to retain the ball safely, and then pass to a Town player.

Yep, Conteh was very good last night. One thing you don't see him always get the credit for, probably because he has other more obvious attributes, is his engine. He puts in a right shift more often than not.

I thought we were much better in those tight spots all round too, not just Conteh. MK Dons are a pressing side off the ball too from what I gather, so it wasn't a case of them giving us too much space. We just moved the ball quicker and had the confidence to play the ball early.

Quoted from listy
They absolutely scared me silly with the passing at the back

You and me both! That's going to take a bit of getting used to, I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
Grantley
November 29, 2023, 1:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Can last night put to bed the notion that the summer recruitment was excrement? The players are more than good enough but have just been coached pretty poorly.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
IlkleyMariner
November 29, 2023, 1:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Grantley
Can last night put to bed the notion that the summer recruitment was excrement? The players are more than good enough but have just been coached pretty poorly.

Personally I always thought we had good players but could not understand why we played crap.

I go back to the first half at Bradford when we were brilliant. Bradford allowed us to play. Last night it sounds like MKD allowed us to play in the first half. Our next challenge is how to win ugly against teams of scrappers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
LocalLadGTFC
November 29, 2023, 1:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Personally I always thought we had good players but could not understand why we played crap.

I go back to the first half at Bradford when we were brilliant. Bradford allowed us to play. Last night it sounds like MKD allowed us to play in the first half. Our next challenge is how to win ugly against teams of scrappers.

They tried to press us multiple times, we played through it beautifully.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.