chaos33
November 15, 2023, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I'd hazard a guess, and this is based on having played a bit too, that when the balls coming down and the midfielders are looking at the scenario, they see absolutely no reason why Maher doesn't get that right. I wouldn't be thinking of a need to drop or track a runner because I'm expecting that header to go forward, and I've got half my mind on where it's likely to drop in front of me and ready to react to the next ball. Their midfielder, facing the right way reacts quickest and puts himself at an advantage to win the ball.

Our defence then has to try and regroup from a stretched position which they can't do in time. You can fix it by saying track your runners etc and focus on the possibility of a mistake/error, but then we'd end up doing exactly what the majority of people here take offence to, and worry about the opposition. We could set up with attacking intent, but if the midfield drop deeper every time a ball goes up to plan for the possibility of a missed header, then there's no-one in a position to react to the knock down when it does go right.

Again, it's all balances. One seemingly tiny action affects the next action and so on and so forth. Some times it goes right, sometimes it doesn't. How you balance to mitigate one problem that is evident (currently our leaky defence) against another problem (our previous inability to score goals) hinges on marginal and subtle differences. As I said, it's not impossible but even with Notts County, they're fantastic going forward but are defensively worse than we are. Mansfield are defensively solid but have only scored 6 more than us and Sutton, who sit bottom of the table.

Thats  probably right but mostly immaterial if we are focusing on the first goal conceded to Morecambe. Our midfielders would be facing their own goal and the ball is behind them as Maher makes the header. Rodgers is facing away from his own goal and the ball was, or should have been in front of him. It’s mostly a matter of his awful positioning that the gap opens and their players race through it to score. If he’s well positioned it doesn’t happen. Watch the highlights again. It’s absolutely obvious where the key aspect of that goal conceded is.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
Poojah
November 15, 2023, 6:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,610
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from lukeo
I'll happily concede 5 or 6 every week aslong as we score 6 or 7  

That’s all well and good in theory but, well, I thought I was going to die at Wrexham.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
forza ivano
November 15, 2023, 6:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,209
Gold Stars: 265
1 other minor point - the increase in injury time means we are playing c 5% more time , so that should be factored in.
I wonder if there has been an increase in goals scored in the last 10 mins/injury time, with more time being played and players getting more tired
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
Captain Sensible
November 15, 2023, 8:55pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Ironically, despite our obvious defensive frailties, we are by no means the worst in the division.  Based on goals conceded per game, Notts County, Tranmere, Walsall, Crawley, Colchester, Swindon, Forest Green, Newport and Sutton are all worse than us.

Perhaps the timing of some of the goals, and how costly they have been, has made it seem worse?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
OddShapedBalls
November 16, 2023, 2:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
defending is for negative nellies who can't score goals - give me this 'sod the scoreline as long as we score more goals than the opposition' attitude town now have any day over solid yet unspectacular 1-0 wins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Inability to defend

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.