Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 15, 2023, 1:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from acko338
Andy Smith was the holding CB who cut many of these chances out last year.

His sense of positioning and timely tackles often saved us from conceding goals.

Sorely missed this season as none of the CB's seem to cover or hold that role presently.

Except he didn’t.

Smith was also often caught under the ball or out of position.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Poojah
November 15, 2023, 1:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,561
Gold Stars: 1,500

Except he didn’t.

Smith was also often caught under the ball or out of position.

Yep, prime example of that here, bang on 1:00.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
chaos33
November 15, 2023, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
It’s Rodgers’ poor position and failure to anticipate that was as much of a contribution to Morecambe’s first goal as Maher’s ill-executed header.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
GrimPol
November 15, 2023, 2:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -671
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from mimma
People were moaning about being defensive,  not looking to attack but defend. Now we've gone the other way as they were advocating they are moaning that we are conceding too many.
What do you want, attacking football leaving gaps at the back, or defensive football, setting up to not concede but not score?
Is attack the best way to defend?

What we want is an attack-minded team, that can defend. Grimsby  Goals 23:28  GD -5, Stockport 37:18 GD+ 19. It's not rocket science, just difficult to achieve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
LocalLadGTFC
November 15, 2023, 2:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GrimPol

What we want is an attack-minded team, that can defend. Grimsby  Goals 23:28  GD -5, Stockport 37:18 GD+ 19. It's not rocket science, just difficult to achieve.

Whilst I agree that’s what everyone wants, Stockport are very much the best team in the division and i’d go beyond that and say one of the best L2 teams i’ve seen over the years. They and Mansfield are very much an outlier in terms of the fact they score goals and are defensively very good. Most teams in the division have conceded above 20, Barrow are the only team below a 1 goal conceded per game but have only scored 20 goals in the league, which means every other team in the league concede at least 1 goal per game. We are defensively poor but it’s very much a league wide problem and I believe stems from our change of style, it’s all about finding that balance between defence and attack. Notts County are the perfect example, for them to play the way they do going forward means they have to play exceptionally high and that’s the way they see fit. Luke Williams wont go away from those principals because that’s how he wants his teams to play going forward but it also leaves them very susceptible at the back. We saw it with Ange recently, everyone called it bizarre when Tottenham were playing the exceptionally high line with 9 men against Chelsea.. it’s how he wants his teams to play and won’t move away from those values no matter who they’re playing or the circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 24
November 15, 2023, 3:32pm
Guest User
In the last two matches we have, by general consent, defended appallingly.

Yet we've collected 3 precious league points and progressed to the next round of the FA Cup - by the cunning strategy
of scoring more goals than the opposition. I think we may be onto something there   .

Preferable to "one-up-front-at-home" - hoping for a clean sheet and maybe a goal from somewhere?

If we can win whilst defending poorly, the future looks good for us once we solidify at the back.
Think we might need at least one acquisition in January though, so we'll need to be patient.

UTM
Reply: 15 - 24
gtfc_chris
November 15, 2023, 3:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from ska face

Well yeah obviously there’s an individual error in there, but I don’t understand how 2 midfielders are then allowed to stroll through so easily. The scorer starts 5 yards behind Holohan when Maher makes the header, by the time he scored he’s 10 yards ahead. It’s Andrews’ man who plays him through, also stood the wrong side of him.

Similar story where runners aren’t tracked against Tranmere, Barrow, Swindon, Crawley twice, what should’ve been a goal v Mansfield, as well as loads of chances given away in the same fashion. It’s not like these are quick breaks from us being in attack; it’s generally a long punt and if we don’t deal with the first one, we’re not switched on in midfield or set up across the back to deal with it.

Maybe it’s an easy fix, but I’m just some ārsehole on a message board who barely ever goes to games, so who knows.

I'd hazard a guess, and this is based on having played a bit too, that when the balls coming down and the midfielders are looking at the scenario, they see absolutely no reason why Maher doesn't get that right. I wouldn't be thinking of a need to drop or track a runner because I'm expecting that header to go forward, and I've got half my mind on where it's likely to drop in front of me and ready to react to the next ball. Their midfielder, facing the right way reacts quickest and puts himself at an advantage to win the ball.

Our defence then has to try and regroup from a stretched position which they can't do in time. You can fix it by saying track your runners etc and focus on the possibility of a mistake/error, but then we'd end up doing exactly what the majority of people here take offence to, and worry about the opposition. We could set up with attacking intent, but if the midfield drop deeper every time a ball goes up to plan for the possibility of a missed header, then there's no-one in a position to react to the knock down when it does go right.

Again, it's all balances. One seemingly tiny action affects the next action and so on and so forth. Some times it goes right, sometimes it doesn't. How you balance to mitigate one problem that is evident (currently our leaky defence) against another problem (our previous inability to score goals) hinges on marginal and subtle differences. As I said, it's not impossible but even with Notts County, they're fantastic going forward but are defensively worse than we are. Mansfield are defensively solid but have only scored 6 more than us and Sutton, who sit bottom of the table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
lukeo
November 15, 2023, 3:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I'll happily concede 5 or 6 every week aslong as we score 6 or 7  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
GrimPol
November 15, 2023, 4:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -671
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Whilst I agree that’s what everyone wants, Stockport are very much the best team in the division and i’d go beyond that and say one of the best L2 teams i’ve seen over the years. They and Mansfield are very much an outlier in terms of the fact they score goals and are defensively very good. Most teams in the division have conceded above 20, Barrow are the only team below a 1 goal conceded per game but have only scored 20 goals in the league, which means every other team in the league concede at least 1 goal per game. We are defensively poor but it’s very much a league wide problem and I believe stems from our change of style, it’s all about finding that balance between defence and attack. Notts County are the perfect example, for them to play the way they do going forward means they have to play exceptionally high and that’s the way they see fit. Luke Williams wont go away from those principals because that’s how he wants his teams to play going forward but it also leaves them very susceptible at the back. We saw it with Ange recently, everyone called it bizarre when Tottenham were playing the exceptionally high line with 9 men against Chelsea.. it’s how he wants his teams to play and won’t move away from those values no matter who they’re playing or the circumstances.

I good case to look at is the Championship with Leicester 29:10  and Ipswich 36:21 both on 39 pts taking 1st and 2nd place. Ipswich very attack minded but leaky at the back.
There is no right or wrong, but a tongue in cheek, lets score more than we let in wouldn't go amiss at this moment in time.
We are too near the drain to worry about what elegant style we should play, because, frankly, we just need points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
Maringer
November 15, 2023, 4:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,524
Gold Stars: 185
That goal was 99% Maher's fault. He misjudged an easy, unchallenged header and effectively flicked it straight to their striker. Our midfielders were expecting the ball to be heading back upfield so I don't blame them much. A gamble taken by their player to keep running forward and it paid dividends.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Inability to defend

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.