Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › VAR Spurs v Chelsea *** And Now Man Utd
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

VAR Spurs v Chelsea *** And Now Man Utd

This thread currently has 2,654 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
November 7, 2023, 6:23pm
Guest User
Something other than managerial talk.

Reflecting on the above game and I'm still bemused by some of the VAR decisions around the sending offs.

I'm coming from the view of somebody who has played the game albeit a good few years ago. I accept maybe I need to update my views in line with the modern game.

Firstly Romero's petulant kick out.  For me that's not a red but think back to Beckham in the world cup who's was less aggressive.  
We've seen reds for far far less so surely he should have been off if interpretations are applied consistently.

Next up the actual red card.  For me it was never a red. Played the ball, studs weren't up.
The ball spun away as a result of the challenge which left his leg to follow through.  But could he have prevented this?  I was always coached to never go in half hearted into a challenge as that's when you get yourself injured.  
Are we saying that when you make a tackle you should immediately pull you leg back to prevent a follow through?
I know I'll probably be in the minority.

Havey Rodgers got booked recently for the very same thing. Strong challenge but clearly took the ball.

And lastly Dan James elbow.  For me he knew exactly what he was doing. Looked at the player and there was movement of his arm towards the opposition player.  We've seen red after red for this but on this occasion VAR cleared it. Not even a yellow.  

I just think the games gone a bit soft and we've become over reliant on VAR. And the time it takes! 12 mins injury time in the first half. That's 25% additional time.
Madness.

For me VAR out.

blundellpork
November 7, 2023, 6:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Whilst I didn’t see the match in question, VAR has been allowed to creep too far into decision making. Seemingly every decision now involves VAR and referees seem happy to let the VAR control room decide on far too much. It was supposed to be for clear and obvious errors, but now consumes far too much of the match, resulting in loss of flow and games getting ever longer.

I’d prefer to move to a Wimbledon challenge style system, where a team is allowed say two challenges per match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
HerveJosse
November 7, 2023, 7:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Classic case of mission creep.Tipping point reached .Var gone within 3 years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
It Bites
November 7, 2023, 7:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,196
Gold Stars: 265
I’m a bit of a spurs fan and my biggest gripe was that Spurs lost all discipline even though they were winning 1-0 . They turned it into a fight
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
supertown
November 7, 2023, 7:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,457
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from 141269
Something other than managerial talk.

Reflecting on the above game and I'm still bemused by some of the VAR decisions around the sending offs.

I'm coming from the view of somebody who has played the game albeit a good few years ago. I accept maybe I need to update my views in line with the modern game.

Firstly Romero's petulant kick out.  For me that's not a red but think back to Beckham in the world cup who's was less aggressive.  
We've seen reds for far far less so surely he should have been off if interpretations are applied consistently.

Next up the actual red card.  For me it was never a red. Played the ball, studs weren't up.
The ball spun away as a result of the challenge which left his leg to follow through.  But could he have prevented this?  I was always coached to never go in half hearted into a challenge as that's when you get yourself injured.  
Are we saying that when you make a tackle you should immediately pull you leg back to prevent a follow through?
I know I'll probably be in the minority.

Havey Rodgers got booked recently for the very same thing. Strong challenge but clearly took the ball.

And lastly Dan James elbow.  For me he knew exactly what he was doing. Looked at the player and there was movement of his arm towards the opposition player.  We've seen red after red for this but on this occasion VAR cleared it. Not even a yellow.  

I just think the games gone a bit soft and we've become over reliant on VAR. And the time it takes! 12 mins injury time in the first half. That's 25% additional time.
Madness.

For me VAR out.

And that is the biggest problem with VAR , most decisions are still down to opinion instead of the reason it was brought in . Mistakes , clear and obvious errors .
I hate VAR
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
kafunanapar140909
November 7, 2023, 7:35pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
I’d happily see VAR scrapped, but on the proviso that we stop scrutinising referees’ decisions to the Nth degree. If we could accept that human error is part of the game then the sport would be better for it.

Unfortunately, if we scrapped it tomorrow, I suspect the media would still zoom in on every offside, do the whole slow-mo and/or pausing trick on tackles, which often makes them look terrible and/or dangerous. Then the first time an offside is missed and leads to a goal there will be a tsunami of moaning.

I wish they’d look into broadcasting the ref’s mic like they do in both the rugby codes – it’d help with transparency and, even if people didn’t agree with the decision made, it would maybe help us understand where they’re coming from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
ancientmariner54
November 7, 2023, 7:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Leave the decisions to the one man on the pitch, rather than a bunch of blokes in the VAR room who will each have their own varying opinions. Chaos.   VAR OUT.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
Maringer
November 7, 2023, 7:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,515
Gold Stars: 185
At least in the pre-VAR days, you only had one clown to blame for bad decisions. There's a whole bunch of them now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
Rodley Mariner
November 7, 2023, 8:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I don't disagree with much of the OP but I'm amazed anybody can look at the Romero red card and disagree with it. The kickout was petulant and stupid but it wasn't going to hurt anyone. The follow through on the one he was sent off for looked like a clear and deliberate attempt to leave one on Fernandez. Caught him high up the shin with studs up. How is that not a red regardless of whether he played the ball first?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
supertown
November 7, 2023, 8:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,457
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I don't disagree with much of the OP but I'm amazed anybody can look at the Romero red card and disagree with it. The kickout was petulant and stupid but it wasn't going to hurt anyone. The follow through on the one he was sent off for looked like a clear and deliberate attempt to leave one on Fernandez. Caught him high up the shin with studs up. How is that not a red regardless of whether he played the ball first?

Agree, as did all the ex pro footballer pundits
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › VAR Spurs v Chelsea *** And Now Man Utd

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.