It Bites
November 5, 2023, 4:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 265
Where did it all go wrong ?  

That first game against Wimbledon I thought most looked good but dropping Holohan from the squad was mistake 1 from Hurst .

After that apart from Rose they’ve all looked awful in most the last 7/8 games .
Private Message
ginnywings
November 5, 2023, 5:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Lack of confidence for me.

You can see it a mile away, and they are not as bad as they are being portrayed. That was a tricky game today in any circumstances, and we were beyond bad in the first half, but looked much much better in the second, and mostly controlled the game.

There are bigger shocks this weekend than us getting a draw at Slough.

If we can get someone to instill a bit of belief back into them, they aint a bad bunch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
livosnose
November 5, 2023, 5:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,171
Gold Stars: 15
Mullarkey is a nothing footballer. Amos is a little boy

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
HerveJosse
November 5, 2023, 5:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ginnywings
Lack of confidence for me.

You can see it a mile away, and they are not as bad as they are being portrayed. That was a tricky game today in any circumstances, and we were beyond bad in the first half, but looked much much better in the second, and mostly controlled the game.

There are bigger shocks this weekend than us getting a draw at Slough.

If we can get someone to instill a bit of belief back into them, they aint a bad bunch.

I could really do with some of whatever you are on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
Hagrid
November 5, 2023, 5:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Rose was getting some stick today at the game and imo he’s the only one of our signings who I really rate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
Limerick Mariner
November 5, 2023, 5:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
I’ve been thinking about this. I’ve seen it said in the past that PH is good at finding some gems on a reasonable but not top top 7 EFL budget.

But his track record after the 2016 promotion wasn’t good, albeit under control-freakery of Fenty. Once Bogle had gone we were left with some dross. When scrabbling around at a lower level he certainly did well. I don’t know where Operation Promotion took our budget to but the promoted squad was decent and then when backwards after promotion.

The last promotion needed some key signings to turn round the rapidly fading season in Jan. Gav in particular, JMD, Max and Emmanuel. We’d already got a decent spine from his close season business.

Ipswich fans views on his signings are a pile of steaming I expect.

I’d say his best competencies are filling gaps on a modest budget and getting tune out of a moderately talented bunch. Save for his Shrewsbury turnaround he hasn’t cut it with better players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
Yoda
November 5, 2023, 5:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
Hurst signings have been terrible apart from Rose.
The Vernham signing being the worst
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
chaos33
November 5, 2023, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I think the overriding problem is that they haven’t gelled. They haven’t understood each other or learned what they’re supposed to be doing, or built those mutual relationships and partnerships. There is no visible team spirit. Compare it to the promotion season and even last season and it’s just not there.

Of the pre-season signings, Rose is the only one I think has been up to standard.
I remember the Salford home came - Conteh looked class and bossed it. Eisa was almost unplayable. Rogers was solid and assured. I’ve no idea what’s happened, but this is not a team, and that’s our problem.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
davmariner
November 5, 2023, 7:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Hagrid
Rose was getting some stick today at the game and imo he’s the only one of our signings who I really rate.

There seemed to be an angry exchange between him and a fan in the first half which culminated in him saying something like “don’t f*cking start that as you won’t like my response.”

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
HertsGTFC
November 5, 2023, 7:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Hagrid

Thought something may have been said judging by his reaction when they came back to re-start.

It’s not all the new lads, some of last seasons players look paralysed by fear & lost.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
davmariner
November 5, 2023, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thought something may have been said judging by his reaction when they came back to re-start.

It’s not all the new lads, some of last seasons players look paralysed by fear & lost.

I think someone shouted to him something along the lines of “come on Rose, you’re meant to be the captain, what are you doing.”

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
HertsGTFC
November 5, 2023, 7:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from davmariner

I think someone shouted to him something along the lines of “come on Rose, you’re meant to be the captain, what are you doing.”

It’s beyond my why we have a forward in his role as captain, not been that close to the play for ages but if I’d never seen Town before and didn’t know who had the armband I’d have said Maher was the skipper as he was the only one taking & organising from the back.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
November 5, 2023, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It’s beyond my why we have a forward in his role as captain, not been that close to the play for ages but if I’d never seen Town before and didn’t know who had the armband I’d have said Maher was the skipper as he was the only one taking & organising from the back.

I can only presume he was given the captaincy due to the likelyhood of him playing every week. How on earth can he be the manager's voice whilst ploughing a lonely furrow up there? Just one of many bizarre decisions in what is turning out to be a very bizarre season and we are only just into November.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
diehardmariner
November 5, 2023, 9:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Oldest cliché in the book but you need 11 captains, to be honest I don't think we've got any out there.

Doesn't need an armband to lead, it takes courage. Front to back we look scared of our own shadow.

I still don't believe that the side that started well and looked like it would get better has suddenly become full of poor players.

I just don't see any identity in this side, just eleven blokes cobbled together. Where have the neat triangles, clever one-two's and hunting in packs gone?

Biggest job for the new manager is lifting this group and making them believe in themselves.  
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
chaos33
November 5, 2023, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Oldest cliché in the book but you need 11 captains, to be honest I don't think we've got any out there.

Doesn't need an armband to lead, it takes courage. Front to back we look scared of our own shadow.

I still don't believe that the side that started well and looked like it would get better has suddenly become full of poor players.

I just don't see any identity in this side, just eleven blokes cobbled together. Where have the neat triangles, clever one-two's and hunting in packs gone?

Biggest job for the new manager is lifting this group and making them believe in themselves.  

I agree. Probably not so much ‘poor players’ as players who haven’t gelled, haven’t invested, don’t know what’s expected of them and don’t have any confidence. Players whose standards have dropped alarmingly: see Conteh, Clifton, Eisa and Rodgers particularly.  I do think we are short of quality though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
pontoonlew
November 5, 2023, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst signings have been terrible apart from Rose.
The Vernham signing being the worst

You can’t even spell his name right, he’s played 4(!) games with an injury and you’re citing him as our worst signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Mappers
November 5, 2023, 10:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,328
Gold Stars: 118
You would assume Danny Rose is regretting his decision not to  sign a new contract for Big Steve at Stevenage and head back north .

Can't imagine it's gone the way he thought it would , much like most of us .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
diehardmariner
November 6, 2023, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Without wanting to go in on anyone and this isn't directly just at him... but if Rose is unhappy at the way it's going then he, along with the rest of the players, need to collectively reflect on what their role in the disappointing season so far.

As a bunch they've not done enough, I think even individually there's quite a few who need to take a long look at in the mirror.

Let's make no mistake, Hurst has quite rightly fallen on his sword because of the poor results but the players are equally to blame.

We don't want to hear statements in the press every week saying that they're working hard to fix it and tweets saying how great Hurst was and they're sorry to see him gone.  

I'm not saying they've downed tools, I don't believe that.  But there's a difference between giving it everything and showing genuine courage out there.  Rose, Waterfall, Holohan, Clifton and the other senior/experienced players need to lead from the front on this.  Be it Hurst, or Davies/Pearson or any new manager can do everything in their power to install belief and confidence, but the players as individuals as a unit, need to show that courage on the field.  This isn't the time for hiding and playing it safe, it needs bravery on the ball and willingness to shake off the doom and gloom that's around the place.  

Yesterday was same-old-same-old.  Safe passes or the same ineffective stuff, no-one was willing to try anything different.  On that surface it was crying out for someone to get hold of the ball and control play.  I was begging Conteh to do what he can do, but he was anonymous for most of the first half.  Green, when he came on, at least tried to do that but technically he's limited and if we're looking to him to dictate play and tempo then we're truly copulated.  

For most of the season the only player I've seen who has been brave enough on the ball is Holohan and we badly miss him when he's unavailable.

I think the players have got away with it a little so far, largely because any anger was directed towards Hurst.  But now the fall guy has gone they're going to exposed.  Up to them if they want to take the criticism on the chin and respond to it or if they want to sulk and hide away.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 6, 2023, 10:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Without wanting to go in on anyone and this isn't directly just at him...

Good points and I broadly agree with you.

I really wonder if we need Waterfall back for his leadership - the last time I saw him play he looked like he was running through treacle but maybe a regular place alongside Maher would improve his fitness and we'd have his leadership out there.

I also wonder if anyone has got the players together for a conversation about what they think needs to change and what they are going to do - a number of Premier league managers have mentioned the players meeting together and coming out with suggestions/solutions. I think there's something in that.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
diehardmariner
November 6, 2023, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
I want to agree with you on Waterfall, but I think there's that offset of his leadership against his flaws when on the football pitch at the minute.  Whenever he's played this season he's looked a liability.  I think it's just a case of one season too far for him.

Maher and Rodgers did show, in the early stages of the season, that they can play effectively as a pair.  How the squad is made up too, it's all geared towards bringing it out from the back and a higher line.  Waterfall can't really play that way and it shows.

If he is the only leader we've got, which I hate to say is looking more likely than not at the minute - certainly one of a very small number, then we're in deeper trouble than I first thought.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
chaos33
November 6, 2023, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I also broadly agree with all these points, but if I was Danny Rose I’d be pretty hacked off at the effort and ineptitude going on around me. Every game I’ve seen him play he gives his all, shows for the ball, never stops running, jumps for every header, gets his head and body bashed and clattered every game and the service he gets is generally f*cking appalling. On the rare occasions he’s received a decent cross into the box, he’s scored. If some gobsh1te in the crowd has abused him I’m not surprised he gave it back.

Rose and Holahan are the 2 of only 3 or 4 who generally show good standards. I agree with the remarks that most of the squad need to take a long look in the mirror and seriously raise their game, because there are a lot of supposed good players who’ve looked anything but for a good few weeks now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
chelseacity
November 6, 2023, 1:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
It's not just down to the players, it's all down to the negative tactics employed by Hurst/Doig/Pearson/Davies, 1 shot on target all game against Slough, playing out from the back is ok but extremely risky as you saw yesterday, what we need is a left winger & a right winger and 2 players up front backed up behind them by midfield players, we need to attack & push up front from the start to the end, this slow cautious play has got us were we are, the Gillingham game was exactly what we should be doing every game, that performance should be the standard, however yesterday proved that it wont be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Hagrid
November 6, 2023, 1:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from chelseacity
It's not just down to the players, it's all down to the negative tactics employed by Hurst/Doig/Pearson/Davies, 1 shot on target all game against Slough, playing out from the back is ok but extremely risky as you saw yesterday, what we need is a left winger & a right winger and 2 players up front backed up behind them by midfield players, we need to attack & push up front from the start to the end, this slow cautious play has got us were we are, the Gillingham game was exactly what we should be doing every game, that performance should be the standard, however yesterday proved that it wont be.

Ah yeah its all down to the Manager, never the players.

Codswallop

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Mappers
November 6, 2023, 1:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,328
Gold Stars: 118
I want to agree with you on Waterfall, but I think there's that offset of his leadership against his flaws when on the football pitch at the minute.  Whenever he's played this season he's looked a liability.  I think it's just a case of one season too far for him.

Maher and Rodgers did show, in the early stages of the season, that they can play effectively as a pair.  How the squad is made up too, it's all geared towards bringing it out from the back and a higher line.  Waterfall can't really play that way and it shows.

If he is the only leader we've got, which I hate to say is looking more likely than not at the minute - certainly one of a very small number, then we're in deeper trouble than I first thought.

Is he any different though or is it that the new style you talk about is very much not suited to his game (Holloway lite?)

The majority wanted him gone after that relegation season .

More a question than opinion as I'm not sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
mariner91
November 6, 2023, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from chaos33
I also broadly agree with all these points, but if I was Danny Rose I’d be pretty hacked off at the effort and ineptitude going on around me. Every game I’ve seen him play he gives his all, shows for the ball, never stops running, jumps for every header, gets his head and body bashed and clattered every game and the service he gets is generally f*cking appalling. On the rare occasions he’s received a decent cross into the box, he’s scored. If some gobsh1te in the crowd has abused him I’m not surprised he gave it back.

Rose and Holahan are the 2 of only 3 or 4 who generally show good standards. I agree with the remarks that most of the squad need to take a long look in the mirror and seriously raise their game, because there are a lot of supposed good players who’ve looked anything but for a good few weeks now.

Absolutely this. He hasn't really done too much wrong and actually has a pretty good goal return considering the shite service he's had. Never a lack of effort either. I'd be seriously peeved if I was him in this team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
acko338
November 6, 2023, 1:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
We need to find a proper McAtee no 10 mobile and fit replacement.

Lloyd was doing a similar role, and it now shows that speed in midfield up to the striking area is far poorer than last season.

The other weak area is the terrible range of crosses, or lack of them, from both wings.

Rose is therefore isolated up front with very little support miles from teammates. Must be frustrating to be battered every game for next to no return.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 6, 2023, 2:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
New Fishy ‘sticky’ point to add:

1. Barrow train in Manchester
2. A manager who played in defence or in goal can (and do) still coach attackers successfully

NEW ENTRY at 3:

3. The field position a captain plays has little to no impact on their ability as a captain
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
IlkleyMariner
November 6, 2023, 2:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Isn’t centre forward Harry Kane Captain of England?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 6, 2023, 4:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Think there has been a significant focus on our problems going forward and it’s hard to disagree with these but in recent matches we scored 2 goals against Crawley, Tranmere, Stockport and Colchester and came away with one point. So whilst I fully support these comments a team scoring 2 goals in 4 matches, 2 at home should at worst have picked up 5 points from those respective games.

Given how little entertainment we get, particularly in home games, it’s hard to understand how we have found the net so regularly in those games. Like others the inability to put over a decent cross is quite baffling as it’s something that should be easy to practice every day in training. Similarly our failure to string 3 passes together in a forwards direction is another issue which should be pretty easy to address and shouldn’t be beyond the abilities of professional footballers!,

Our defensive problems seem a bit more concerning but this just could be a confidence matter as we looked pretty steady in the first five or six matches and I think most of us at that time were reasonably happy with our back 4 and the keeper!, how quickly things have gone astray is baffling but probably demonstrates the importance of confidence in any sport and the inconsistency of players at L2 level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 6, 2023, 5:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
A captain needs, at the very least, to have the respect of the other 10 players around him. Someone that will lead by example and thrive in the role. A player that will see where opportunities are in the game, guide the team, Instil confidence and most of all, put a solid shift in.

We don’t need someone who’s going to get down and become petulant when things don’t go their way.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
arryarryarry
November 6, 2023, 5:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Hagrid

Codswallop

Well the players didn't just roll up at BP and say "give us a game mate"

We have data analysis, recruitment managers, 1st Team Manager, Assistant Team Manager, God knows how many coaching staff, so someone must have been keen on signing them.

Either they are crap, or have become drunk off with the tactics and can't be arsed to do what they are told.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
pontoonlew
November 6, 2023, 6:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Hagrid

Codswallop

The players have regressed all season though, that’s showing me that management/tactics are a huge part of it, that has then meant the players confidence has been shot.

I might end the season looking daft but I really do believe we have good players here. Maybe people are nervous given what’s happened in recent history but I just don’t see this as relegation squad, I’ve seen a few of them in my time and these lot just aren’t anywhere near that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
toontown
November 6, 2023, 7:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from pontoonlew

The players have regressed all season though, that’s showing me that management/tactics are a huge part of it, that has then meant the players confidence has been shot.

I might end the season looking daft but I really do believe we have good players here. Maybe people are nervous given what’s happened in recent history but I just don’t see this as relegation squad, I’ve seen a few of them in my time and these lot just aren’t anywhere near that.

I think the individual players are better than the position we are in. I think this team, i am very sorry to say, has the appearance of a relegation side.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
Croxton
November 6, 2023, 11:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Can we have a moratorium on all player interviews, training videos, pre match pressers and Matchday moments? None of them contribute to results and are often a puerile cringefest. Much prefer Hodo.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Summer Signings

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.