4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
November 6, 2023, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I also broadly agree with all these points, but if I was Danny Rose I’d be pretty hacked off at the effort and ineptitude going on around me. Every game I’ve seen him play he gives his all, shows for the ball, never stops running, jumps for every header, gets his head and body bashed and clattered every game and the service he gets is generally f*cking appalling. On the rare occasions he’s received a decent cross into the box, he’s scored. If some gobsh1te in the crowd has abused him I’m not surprised he gave it back.

Rose and Holahan are the 2 of only 3 or 4 who generally show good standards. I agree with the remarks that most of the squad need to take a long look in the mirror and seriously raise their game, because there are a lot of supposed good players who’ve looked anything but for a good few weeks now.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
chelseacity
November 6, 2023, 1:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
It's not just down to the players, it's all down to the negative tactics employed by Hurst/Doig/Pearson/Davies, 1 shot on target all game against Slough, playing out from the back is ok but extremely risky as you saw yesterday, what we need is a left winger & a right winger and 2 players up front backed up behind them by midfield players, we need to attack & push up front from the start to the end, this slow cautious play has got us were we are, the Gillingham game was exactly what we should be doing every game, that performance should be the standard, however yesterday proved that it wont be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Hagrid
November 6, 2023, 1:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from chelseacity
It's not just down to the players, it's all down to the negative tactics employed by Hurst/Doig/Pearson/Davies, 1 shot on target all game against Slough, playing out from the back is ok but extremely risky as you saw yesterday, what we need is a left winger & a right winger and 2 players up front backed up behind them by midfield players, we need to attack & push up front from the start to the end, this slow cautious play has got us were we are, the Gillingham game was exactly what we should be doing every game, that performance should be the standard, however yesterday proved that it wont be.

Ah yeah its all down to the Manager, never the players.

Codswallop

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Mappers
November 6, 2023, 1:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from diehardmariner
I want to agree with you on Waterfall, but I think there's that offset of his leadership against his flaws when on the football pitch at the minute.  Whenever he's played this season he's looked a liability.  I think it's just a case of one season too far for him.

Maher and Rodgers did show, in the early stages of the season, that they can play effectively as a pair.  How the squad is made up too, it's all geared towards bringing it out from the back and a higher line.  Waterfall can't really play that way and it shows.

If he is the only leader we've got, which I hate to say is looking more likely than not at the minute - certainly one of a very small number, then we're in deeper trouble than I first thought.

Is he any different though or is it that the new style you talk about is very much not suited to his game (Holloway lite?)

The majority wanted him gone after that relegation season .

More a question than opinion as I'm not sure
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
mariner91
November 6, 2023, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,661
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from chaos33
I also broadly agree with all these points, but if I was Danny Rose I’d be pretty hacked off at the effort and ineptitude going on around me. Every game I’ve seen him play he gives his all, shows for the ball, never stops running, jumps for every header, gets his head and body bashed and clattered every game and the service he gets is generally f*cking appalling. On the rare occasions he’s received a decent cross into the box, he’s scored. If some gobsh1te in the crowd has abused him I’m not surprised he gave it back.

Rose and Holahan are the 2 of only 3 or 4 who generally show good standards. I agree with the remarks that most of the squad need to take a long look in the mirror and seriously raise their game, because there are a lot of supposed good players who’ve looked anything but for a good few weeks now.

Absolutely this. He hasn't really done too much wrong and actually has a pretty good goal return considering the shite service he's had. Never a lack of effort either. I'd be seriously peeved if I was him in this team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
acko338
November 6, 2023, 1:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
We need to find a proper McAtee no 10 mobile and fit replacement.

Lloyd was doing a similar role, and it now shows that speed in midfield up to the striking area is far poorer than last season.

The other weak area is the terrible range of crosses, or lack of them, from both wings.

Rose is therefore isolated up front with very little support miles from teammates. Must be frustrating to be battered every game for next to no return.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 6, 2023, 2:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
New Fishy ‘sticky’ point to add:

1. Barrow train in Manchester
2. A manager who played in defence or in goal can (and do) still coach attackers successfully

NEW ENTRY at 3:

3. The field position a captain plays has little to no impact on their ability as a captain
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
IlkleyMariner
November 6, 2023, 2:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Isn’t centre forward Harry Kane Captain of England?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 6, 2023, 4:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,698
Gold Stars: 79
Think there has been a significant focus on our problems going forward and it’s hard to disagree with these but in recent matches we scored 2 goals against Crawley, Tranmere, Stockport and Colchester and came away with one point. So whilst I fully support these comments a team scoring 2 goals in 4 matches, 2 at home should at worst have picked up 5 points from those respective games.

Given how little entertainment we get, particularly in home games, it’s hard to understand how we have found the net so regularly in those games. Like others the inability to put over a decent cross is quite baffling as it’s something that should be easy to practice every day in training. Similarly our failure to string 3 passes together in a forwards direction is another issue which should be pretty easy to address and shouldn’t be beyond the abilities of professional footballers!,

Our defensive problems seem a bit more concerning but this just could be a confidence matter as we looked pretty steady in the first five or six matches and I think most of us at that time were reasonably happy with our back 4 and the keeper!, how quickly things have gone astray is baffling but probably demonstrates the importance of confidence in any sport and the inconsistency of players at L2 level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 6, 2023, 5:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
A captain needs, at the very least, to have the respect of the other 10 players around him. Someone that will lead by example and thrive in the role. A player that will see where opportunities are in the game, guide the team, Instil confidence and most of all, put a solid shift in.

We don’t need someone who’s going to get down and become petulant when things don’t go their way.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Summer Signings

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.