4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
November 1, 2023, 8:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,957
Gold Stars: 64
Was reminded by a Telegraph article that Charles Vernam is a Town player.  Remember those heady days of excitement about signing him.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Madeleymariner
November 1, 2023, 9:06am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
I was far from excited
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
pontoonlew
November 1, 2023, 9:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Still think Vernam will turn into a good player for us, he was obviously carrying this injury at the start of the season and now he’s paying the price for playing through it. Not his fault and I can’t understand the stick he’s had for it either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
The Yard Dog
November 1, 2023, 9:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Was reminded by a Telegraph article that Charles Vernam is a Town player.  Remember those heady days of excitement about signing him.  

No

I was never excited by him signing, we needed a striker with a better match to goal ratio.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
Hagrid
November 1, 2023, 9:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,434
Gold Stars: 536
Never excited me and I couldnt understand the OTT reaction when he did re-sign, especially on a 3 year deal, But he's a town player and when he returns from injury, I hope he makes me look a fool
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
male private Nale
November 1, 2023, 9:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
One of hurst’s worst signings , gold plated 3 year contract for a serial under achiever. It seemed we had to have him at any price
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
chaos33
November 1, 2023, 9:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
One thing is for sure - when he’s fit, and selected, he needs to prove himself and perform. A couple of flashes of greatness in a sequence of little contribution shouldn’t wash. I hope he does show us all what a good player he is. And he ain’t the only one.
Quite a few need to up their standards, markedly.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
LocalLadGTFC
November 1, 2023, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Think he falls into the same bracket of a few of the signings made. ' What if ' he could recapture that form he had a couple seasons ago at Bradford. Same story with Eisa, it was a case of what if he could get back to his Scunny days and to be fair to him he was flying but obviously performances regressed with the whole squad. That's why they're playing L2 football, if they were Mr Consistent they wouldn't be here I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 38
Mikey_345
November 1, 2023, 10:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Still a good player in my book. Some good form doesn't make you a world beater and the opposite is also true with bad form. Went under the radar a little that he was coming back from an injury (knee I believe) during the start of the season.

Think he's proven in the right environment with his head down he can be a real asset at this level, once he's over his injury hopefully the new management team can get the best out of him.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
November 1, 2023, 10:08am
Guest User
Quoted from male private Nale
One of hurst’s worst signings , gold plated 3 year contract for a serial under achiever. It seemed we had to have him at any price

Slightly harsh in my opinion given we've seen so little of him.  Admittedly his early season form wasn't brilliant but as we suspect he was carrying an injury.  Better to judge him once he's fit.

And I think he'd slip way down the list of Paul Hursts worse signings.
Reply: 9 - 38
1mickylyons
November 1, 2023, 10:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
A decent enough leage 2 player when fit and I wish we had him fit and available now because nobody else out wide is contributing much are they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
Tommy
November 1, 2023, 10:40am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Think he just needs a manager to believe in him, give him confidence and allow him to be attack-minded to get the best out of him.

We've seen what he CAN do in the past. Say what you like about Holloway but he was getting a tune out of Vernam with how he set us up to play pre-covid and how he man-managed CV.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
November 1, 2023, 10:51am
Guest User
Someone said he is a striker, I thought he was a winger, slightly evidenced by his 'supergoal' which started with him picking the ball up somewhere near to our penalty area, not a place I would expect to see a striker.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Having watched a video of the goal, he was actually on the 18 yard line when he set off to receive the ball then proceeded up the field to score.
Reply: 12 - 38
louth_in_the_south
November 1, 2023, 2:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 96
With a more adventurous manager in place I think we’ll see a different CV .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
chaos33
November 1, 2023, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
When’s he due back? Not sure he’s even back in training….?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
Poojah
November 1, 2023, 2:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,610
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from chaos33
When’s he due back? Not sure he’s even back in training….?

Not until around the turn of the year, I think.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
1mickylyons
November 1, 2023, 4:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 123614
Someone said he is a striker, I thought he was a winger, slightly evidenced by his 'supergoal' which started with him picking the ball up somewhere near to our penalty area, not a place I would expect to see a striker.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Having watched a video of the goal, he was actually on the 18 yard line when he set off to receive the ball then proceeded up the field to score.

Possibly the best Town goal in 10 years can't think of one better in that time?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
Poojah
November 1, 2023, 4:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,610
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Don’t get me wrong, this was a very good goal, but every time I watch it back the defending and goalkeeping get worse and worse.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
Limerick Mariner
November 1, 2023, 5:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I preferred Luke Waterfall’s ET goal at Wrexham…

I guess it has to be up there as an individual goal, but also I agree the defending was appalling.

The best team goal for Town I can recall has to be John Cockerill’s in the 4-0 “just like watching Brazil” win v Huddersfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
November 1, 2023, 5:28pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Me neither.

Reply: 19 - 38
moosey_club
November 1, 2023, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
He is NOTHING without Whitehouse...🤣

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
Mappers
November 1, 2023, 7:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Tommy
Think he just needs a manager to believe in him, give him confidence and allow him to be attack-minded to get the best out of him.

We've seen what he CAN do in the past. Say what you like about Holloway but he was getting a tune out of Vernam with how he set us up to play pre-covid and how he man-managed CV.

Agree Tommy 100%

I was not the biggest fan of him re-signing in truth , but to effectively write him off after a handful of games (potentially carrying an injury?) Seems a bit premature and maybe even a tad unfair .

My wider issue (pardon the pun) is that we have ended up with what 4 players (Eisa , Khan, Clifton , Vernam ) who's best position is from the left ; with Eisa playing so well that means 3 have to either play (when fit) somewhere else ,where they are not as effective or not play at all - it's left us with a fairly unbalanced look imo .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
Posh Harry
November 1, 2023, 8:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Poojah

Don’t get me wrong, this was a very good goal, but every time I watch it back the defending and goalkeeping get worse and worse.

Ryan giggs goal in the semi final against arsenal was massively overrated in a similar way imo. He picks the ball up midway in his own half and no one tries to gets near him until 2 defenders fall over at the edge of the box and he hits it straight at seaman who almost bends over backwards trying to save it and makes it easy for the ball to over him. Lauded as one of the greatest ever goals in the cup but nothing like as good as Ricky villa in the final all those years ago. Now that was a great goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
fishboyUTM
November 1, 2023, 9:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from pontoonlew
Still think Vernam will turn into a good player for us, he was obviously carrying this injury at the start of the season and now he’s paying the price for playing through it. Not his fault and I can’t understand the stick he’s had for it either.

Absolutely agree. Charles is a quality footballer, clearly was carrying an injury. I suspect he had a problem when he signed, which raises the question of his medical. Hope to see him before the end of the season playing without the Hurst brakes on, we saw how good he can be when Holloway let him run at defences at this level. He was unplayable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
fishboyUTM
November 1, 2023, 9:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from 123614

For me, he's a wide left player in a three. Can do a job centrally, or even wide right, but nowhere near as effective as wide left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
November 1, 2023, 11:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Vernam is a very talented player. However, he has struggled with injury. Will he ever be able to achieve his potential? Piece of string question. The raw talent is there, but will he ever be able to put the rubber to the ground. Mmmm...time will be the judge of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
1mickylyons
November 2, 2023, 7:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I preferred Luke Waterfall’s ET goal at Wrexham…

I guess it has to be up there as an individual goal, but also I agree the defending was appalling.

The best team goal for Town I can recall has to be John Cockerill’s in the 4-0 “just like watching Brazil” win v Huddersfield.

That was 30 years ago lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
GrimPol
November 2, 2023, 8:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -681
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Posh Harry

Ryan giggs goal in the semi final against arsenal was massively overrated in a similar way imo. He picks the ball up midway in his own half and no one tries to gets near him until 2 defenders fall over at the edge of the box and he hits it straight at seaman who almost bends over backwards trying to save it and makes it easy for the ball to over him. Lauded as one of the greatest ever goals in the cup but nothing like as good as Ricky villa in the final all those years ago. Now that was a great goal.

It looks staged as in a film.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
thebuckleyway
November 2, 2023, 9:56am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -263
Wasn't happy when he signed to be honest. over rated and imo been very fortunate to get longish contracts at various clubs. Seemed to make his name on that one solo goal away from  home  for us ..before that was really just mediocre. Not seen anything since to change my mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
diehardmariner
November 2, 2023, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,637
Gold Stars: 539
While since we've had a go-in on Vernam.  Thought he might get a bit of a break whilst injured.

Slade and Jolley both used Vernam down the middle, a position he clearly isn't going to excel in.  Limbrick identified that he could have far more impact on the left of a front three/midfield five.  Holloway then worked further on that and the lad really flourished.  

That's the only spell we should be referencing from his previous time here as for the previous 18 months he was played out of position.  He was excellent in his true position, a genuine threat with goals to his name.  

He goes to League One with Burton and scores two, assists two from 14 starts in a poor side.  Not setting the world alight but hardly a horrific record, especially as we're not at that level.

Drops back down to Bradford and from 34 starts he scores 10 and makes a further 6.  Bradford are desperate to keep him, their fans are gutted when he goes back up to League One with Lincoln.

6 starts in the league at Lincoln but quite simply it didn't work out, again not at our level so I won't judge his ability to perform at League Two on that.

So to sum up.

Striker at L2 Town - Not great
Winger at L2 Town - Very good.
Winger at L1 Burton - Ok
Winger at L2 Bradford - Very good.
Winger at L1 Lincoln - Disappointing.

Dunno if anyone's noticed but we're at League Two level and we've signed Vernam as a winger.  His previous two spells in this division whilst playing as a winger have been very productive.  

He was written off as soon as he re-signed here by many.  More wrote him off after just 3 league starts for us, even harsher now we know he was carrying an injury.

Genuinely can't get my head round the fact that we've signed a winger who has proved to be effective at this level when used correctly, yet before he had even made an appearance people were determined to tell us he isn't very good.  
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
DB
November 2, 2023, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
A fit Vernam is a pretty good player. That said he came back from injury, allegedly, just before we signed him. He was soon out again through injury so I would have due diligence would wanted him to prove his injury had been completely resolved. A 1-year contract with a 2-year option would have been a better deal for the club.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
Ruston AT
November 2, 2023, 6:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10

He's got a lot to prove for me, if , and it's a big if he comes back and rips it up I'll welcome him with open arms otherwise he's another duffer we've signed.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
MuddyWaters
November 3, 2023, 1:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Ruston AT

He's got a lot to prove for me, if , and it's a big if he comes back and rips it up I'll welcome him with open arms otherwise he's another duffer we've signed.

Not a big fan of assumptions but I assume that Vernam was identified by the recruitment process and that we got an all clear on his fitness before giving him a long term contract?
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Son of Cod
November 3, 2023, 6:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Love all the people in this thread who weren't excited about him signing and don't even rate him anyway, they must have been away on holiday when we signed him because they sure as intercourse didn't pipe up on here.

Quoted from 1mickylyons

It's a cracking goal, the steppoverry thing he does when he receives the ball is glorious but there's no way that shot should be sneaking in. Give me McAtee's absolute peach of a volley against Alty or the peak Arsenalesque third away in the reverse fixture the same season. Nathan Arnold's second in the away leg of the Easleigh playoff is an underrated banger for me too. I could reel off quite a few more that I prefer actually but I can see how the general consensus might be to opt for Vernam's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
lew chaterleys lover
November 3, 2023, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Son of Cod
Love all the people in this thread who weren't excited about him signing and don't even rate him anyway, they must have been away on holiday when we signed him because they sure as intercourse didn't pipe up on here.

It's a cracking goal, the steppoverry thing he does when he receives the ball is glorious but there's no way that shot should be sneaking in. Give me McAtee's absolute peach of a volley against Alty or the peak Arsenalesque third away in the reverse fixture the same season. Nathan Arnold's second in the away leg of the Easleigh playoff is an underrated banger for me too. I could reel off quite a few more that I prefer actually but I can see how the general consensus might be to opt for Vernam's.

Eisa's against Mansfield was a cracker. I do prefer long range, top corner, in off the bar type goals I must admit.

I obviously love all Town goals but I also have a fondness for the 6 yard scramble goals; the ones in which the keeper saves it to his right, gets up and saves it to his left. The follow up hits the underside of the bar and amongst a flurry of arms and legs someone forces it home. The relief!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
pontoonlew
November 3, 2023, 8:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Most of the names I’m seeing on here as not rating Vernam are the same ones who questioned McAtee last season.

Football is all about opinions, but we seem to have a contingent who don’t like flair players & I can’t get my head round that. Years of ‘hard workers’ under Hurst has clouded some views IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
TAGG
November 3, 2023, 8:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,948
Gold Stars: 126
Hell of a player there if we can get him fit and keep him fit, but that's the question.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
Maringer
November 3, 2023, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,564
Gold Stars: 185
We're badly lacking in pace and he's pretty quick so would be good to get him back in for that alone. As pointed out in this thread, he's got a pretty decent record when played as a winger at this level, so let's hope he comes back fit as soon as possible and gets the chance to prove his worth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
Heisenberg
November 3, 2023, 10:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
I was one of those happy to see him sign, and I can’t wait for him to be back and get a run in the team. Anyone who thinks a fit Vernam wouldn’t get in this relegation-fodder team is mental.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Charles Vernam

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.