Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
He is NOTHING without Whitehouse...🤣

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
Mappers
November 1, 2023, 7:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Tommy
Think he just needs a manager to believe in him, give him confidence and allow him to be attack-minded to get the best out of him.

We've seen what he CAN do in the past. Say what you like about Holloway but he was getting a tune out of Vernam with how he set us up to play pre-covid and how he man-managed CV.

Agree Tommy 100%

I was not the biggest fan of him re-signing in truth , but to effectively write him off after a handful of games (potentially carrying an injury?) Seems a bit premature and maybe even a tad unfair .

My wider issue (pardon the pun) is that we have ended up with what 4 players (Eisa , Khan, Clifton , Vernam ) who's best position is from the left ; with Eisa playing so well that means 3 have to either play (when fit) somewhere else ,where they are not as effective or not play at all - it's left us with a fairly unbalanced look imo .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
Posh Harry
November 1, 2023, 8:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Poojah

Don’t get me wrong, this was a very good goal, but every time I watch it back the defending and goalkeeping get worse and worse.

Ryan giggs goal in the semi final against arsenal was massively overrated in a similar way imo. He picks the ball up midway in his own half and no one tries to gets near him until 2 defenders fall over at the edge of the box and he hits it straight at seaman who almost bends over backwards trying to save it and makes it easy for the ball to over him. Lauded as one of the greatest ever goals in the cup but nothing like as good as Ricky villa in the final all those years ago. Now that was a great goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
fishboyUTM
November 1, 2023, 9:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from pontoonlew
Still think Vernam will turn into a good player for us, he was obviously carrying this injury at the start of the season and now he’s paying the price for playing through it. Not his fault and I can’t understand the stick he’s had for it either.

Absolutely agree. Charles is a quality footballer, clearly was carrying an injury. I suspect he had a problem when he signed, which raises the question of his medical. Hope to see him before the end of the season playing without the Hurst brakes on, we saw how good he can be when Holloway let him run at defences at this level. He was unplayable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
fishboyUTM
November 1, 2023, 9:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from 123614
Someone said he is a striker, I thought he was a winger, slightly evidenced by his 'supergoal' which started with him picking the ball up somewhere near to our penalty area, not a place I would expect to see a striker.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Having watched a video of the goal, he was actually on the 18 yard line when he set off to receive the ball then proceeded up the field to score.

For me, he's a wide left player in a three. Can do a job centrally, or even wide right, but nowhere near as effective as wide left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
November 1, 2023, 11:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Vernam is a very talented player. However, he has struggled with injury. Will he ever be able to achieve his potential? Piece of string question. The raw talent is there, but will he ever be able to put the rubber to the ground. Mmmm...time will be the judge of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
1mickylyons
November 2, 2023, 7:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I preferred Luke Waterfall’s ET goal at Wrexham…

I guess it has to be up there as an individual goal, but also I agree the defending was appalling.

The best team goal for Town I can recall has to be John Cockerill’s in the 4-0 “just like watching Brazil” win v Huddersfield.

That was 30 years ago lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
GrimPol
November 2, 2023, 8:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Posh Harry

Ryan giggs goal in the semi final against arsenal was massively overrated in a similar way imo. He picks the ball up midway in his own half and no one tries to gets near him until 2 defenders fall over at the edge of the box and he hits it straight at seaman who almost bends over backwards trying to save it and makes it easy for the ball to over him. Lauded as one of the greatest ever goals in the cup but nothing like as good as Ricky villa in the final all those years ago. Now that was a great goal.

It looks staged as in a film.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
thebuckleyway
November 2, 2023, 9:56am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -263
Wasn't happy when he signed to be honest. over rated and imo been very fortunate to get longish contracts at various clubs. Seemed to make his name on that one solo goal away from  home  for us ..before that was really just mediocre. Not seen anything since to change my mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
diehardmariner
November 2, 2023, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
While since we've had a go-in on Vernam.  Thought he might get a bit of a break whilst injured.

Slade and Jolley both used Vernam down the middle, a position he clearly isn't going to excel in.  Limbrick identified that he could have far more impact on the left of a front three/midfield five.  Holloway then worked further on that and the lad really flourished.  

That's the only spell we should be referencing from his previous time here as for the previous 18 months he was played out of position.  He was excellent in his true position, a genuine threat with goals to his name.  

He goes to League One with Burton and scores two, assists two from 14 starts in a poor side.  Not setting the world alight but hardly a horrific record, especially as we're not at that level.

Drops back down to Bradford and from 34 starts he scores 10 and makes a further 6.  Bradford are desperate to keep him, their fans are gutted when he goes back up to League One with Lincoln.

6 starts in the league at Lincoln but quite simply it didn't work out, again not at our level so I won't judge his ability to perform at League Two on that.

So to sum up.

Striker at L2 Town - Not great
Winger at L2 Town - Very good.
Winger at L1 Burton - Ok
Winger at L2 Bradford - Very good.
Winger at L1 Lincoln - Disappointing.

Dunno if anyone's noticed but we're at League Two level and we've signed Vernam as a winger.  His previous two spells in this division whilst playing as a winger have been very productive.  

He was written off as soon as he re-signed here by many.  More wrote him off after just 3 league starts for us, even harsher now we know he was carrying an injury.

Genuinely can't get my head round the fact that we've signed a winger who has proved to be effective at this level when used correctly, yet before he had even made an appearance people were determined to tell us he isn't very good.  
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Charles Vernam

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.