4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
DB
November 2, 2023, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 388
A fit Vernam is a pretty good player. That said he came back from injury, allegedly, just before we signed him. He was soon out again through injury so I would have due diligence would wanted him to prove his injury had been completely resolved. A 1-year contract with a 2-year option would have been a better deal for the club.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
Ruston AT
November 2, 2023, 6:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10

He's got a lot to prove for me, if , and it's a big if he comes back and rips it up I'll welcome him with open arms otherwise he's another duffer we've signed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
MuddyWaters
November 3, 2023, 1:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Ruston AT

He's got a lot to prove for me, if , and it's a big if he comes back and rips it up I'll welcome him with open arms otherwise he's another duffer we've signed.

Not a big fan of assumptions but I assume that Vernam was identified by the recruitment process and that we got an all clear on his fitness before giving him a long term contract?
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Son of Cod
November 3, 2023, 6:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Love all the people in this thread who weren't excited about him signing and don't even rate him anyway, they must have been away on holiday when we signed him because they sure as intercourse didn't pipe up on here.

Quoted from 1mickylyons

Possibly the best Town goal in 10 years can't think of one better in that time?

It's a cracking goal, the steppoverry thing he does when he receives the ball is glorious but there's no way that shot should be sneaking in. Give me McAtee's absolute peach of a volley against Alty or the peak Arsenalesque third away in the reverse fixture the same season. Nathan Arnold's second in the away leg of the Easleigh playoff is an underrated banger for me too. I could reel off quite a few more that I prefer actually but I can see how the general consensus might be to opt for Vernam's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
lew chaterleys lover
November 3, 2023, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Son of Cod
Love all the people in this thread who weren't excited about him signing and don't even rate him anyway, they must have been away on holiday when we signed him because they sure as intercourse didn't pipe up on here.

It's a cracking goal, the steppoverry thing he does when he receives the ball is glorious but there's no way that shot should be sneaking in. Give me McAtee's absolute peach of a volley against Alty or the peak Arsenalesque third away in the reverse fixture the same season. Nathan Arnold's second in the away leg of the Easleigh playoff is an underrated banger for me too. I could reel off quite a few more that I prefer actually but I can see how the general consensus might be to opt for Vernam's.

Eisa's against Mansfield was a cracker. I do prefer long range, top corner, in off the bar type goals I must admit.

I obviously love all Town goals but I also have a fondness for the 6 yard scramble goals; the ones in which the keeper saves it to his right, gets up and saves it to his left. The follow up hits the underside of the bar and amongst a flurry of arms and legs someone forces it home. The relief!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
pontoonlew
November 3, 2023, 8:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Most of the names I’m seeing on here as not rating Vernam are the same ones who questioned McAtee last season.

Football is all about opinions, but we seem to have a contingent who don’t like flair players & I can’t get my head round that. Years of ‘hard workers’ under Hurst has clouded some views IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
TAGG
November 3, 2023, 8:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,950
Gold Stars: 126
Hell of a player there if we can get him fit and keep him fit, but that's the question.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
Maringer
November 3, 2023, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
We're badly lacking in pace and he's pretty quick so would be good to get him back in for that alone. As pointed out in this thread, he's got a pretty decent record when played as a winger at this level, so let's hope he comes back fit as soon as possible and gets the chance to prove his worth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
Heisenberg
November 3, 2023, 10:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
I was one of those happy to see him sign, and I can’t wait for him to be back and get a run in the team. Anyone who thinks a fit Vernam wouldn’t get in this relegation-fodder team is mental.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Charles Vernam

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.