MuddyWaters
November 1, 2023, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from pen penfras

Another interview where nothing much is said other than jargon. We're not going down the director of football route, yet. They have well defined criteria for what they're looking for in the next manager, but not a hint of what the criteria are.

They've clearly held discussions about the situation for a while, and came to the strange decision that if we didn't beat Doncaster they'd sack the manager there and then, but haven't put any thought into what comes next.

Yet most people are still crediting them as oracles that have planned and strategised every small detail of everything. It's absolutely no different to what we've been doing my entire life except we're now spending loads of money to be excrement.

The hint that they'd appoint Davies and Pearson in a relegation fight scares me that they've not learnt how big a mistake that will be from Fenty's era.

Aren’t you forgetting that they were fans long before they became owners?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
DB
November 1, 2023, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from pen penfras

Another interview where nothing much is said other than jargon. We're not going down the director of football route, yet. They have well defined criteria for what they're looking for in the next manager, but not a hint of what the criteria are.

They've clearly held discussions about the situation for a while, and came to the strange decision that if we didn't beat Doncaster they'd sack the manager there and then, but haven't put any thought into what comes next.

Yet most people are still crediting them as oracles that have planned and strategised every small detail of everything. It's absolutely no different to what we've been doing my entire life except we're now spending loads of money to be excrement.

The hint that they'd appoint Davies and Pearson in a relegation fight scares me that they've not learnt how big a mistake that will be from Fenty's era.

That interview told of what JS wanted you to hear. Doncaster was not a decision made on a whim but decided earlier. JS & AP have employed many people in their businesses, sacked a few, and replaced them. To use their words, they want to improve, year on year, so they have something/someone to improve on Hurst.

Who, I don't know so time will tell.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
headingly_mariner
November 1, 2023, 8:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,357
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from RonMariner

I hope not. The last time we appointed an inexperienced internal candidate in a relegation battle we got Neil Woods.

We all know how that ended. I would prefer an experienced EFL manager.

I'm convinced in the right circumstances Woodsy would've been an excellent football league manager. He was just left with a pack of girl privates for his first job. He got them going that season just too late. And in the conference he was sacked with us just outside the play offs.
I'm not advocating a promotion from within but I think the circumstances are very different. Whoever comes in is inheriting a team of committed professionals.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
Swansea_Mariner
November 1, 2023, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,450
Gold Stars: 63
Promoting Woods from within was a bit different though as even back then he was a pretty  experienced coach  even if it was with the youth.

Davies and Pearson have less experience combined at this point. Honestly I don't think that is the way to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
LocalLadGTFC
November 1, 2023, 9:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,218
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from pen penfras

If you watched Danny Cowley on Sky Sports last night he indicated that 3 clubs were in contact with him and that we were one of them, the notion that we don't have a plan is mind boggling.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 64
ska face
November 1, 2023, 9:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Especially when Stockwood literally says they’ve “been working with 21st Group & [Jennings] over the past few weeks to think about what the plan needed to be both in terms of the range of options they will have and also how they go about running that process”. Then mentioned that there’s a process twice in the following 30 seconds.

Some people just hear what they want to hear.

Supposedly this is no different to what we’ve done previously - such as appointing Holloway after a 3 hour chat in a chip shop, or giving Slade a job whilst Bignot was still in charge and then coming up with some bullshít story about him being up a mountain when he got the call.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
Swansea_Mariner
November 1, 2023, 9:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,450
Gold Stars: 63
Lol Slade up a mountain that was my personal favourite.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
davmariner
November 1, 2023, 11:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,932
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

If you watched Danny Cowley on Sky Sports last night he indicated that 3 clubs were in contact with him and that we were one of them, the notion that we don't have a plan is mind boggling.

Anyone got a clip?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
lukeo
November 3, 2023, 7:13am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from ska face
Especially when Stockwood literally says they’ve “been working with 21st Group & [Jennings] over the past few weeks to think about what the plan needed to be both in terms of the range of options they will have and also how they go about running that process”. Then mentioned that there’s a process twice in the following 30 seconds.

Some people just hear what they want to hear.

Supposedly this is no different to what we’ve done previously - such as appointing Holloway after a 3 hour chat in a chip shop, or giving Slade a job whilst Bignot was still in charge and then coming up with some bullshít story about him being up a mountain when he got the call.

2nd this. Regardless of what people think about the sacking, the chair is very open and clear and tell the fans as much as he needs to (and sometimes a little bit more). We used to always be left out in the cold wondering wtf is going on. For what it's worth I think it shouldn't matter who's in charge this weekend as aslong as boys turn up and perform well they SHOULD win regardless if who's stood on the sidelines.
I'll start to be concerned if we haven't started to interview by this time next week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
jimgtfc
November 3, 2023, 7:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from pen penfras

That interview is exactly what it should’ve been at this point, a PR masterclass. Say a lot without really saying much. A skill our former owner crassly lacked in. All that was needed was to quell the talk around the ‘head coach’ and possible director of football role, give a brief overlay of the next steps and leave it there.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › An update from the chair

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.