Reply: 210 - 217
marinerjase
October 22, 2023, 2:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 147
All a bit contrasting though isn’t it..didn’t we have the highest number of points lost after leading in games recently? And now it’s a case of go behind and we can’t overturn it..

Still maintain confidence and injuries/rotation are main factors..some self inflicted you could argue? Playing devils advocate you could argue we’ve been a bit unfortunate in Wilson being injured..as he does look like a striker who’ll cause problems..but counteract that with loss of form from a few, maybe some not performing as expected etc ??

Do genuinely think we have some players, not entirely convinced we have the better ‘team’ atm - guess there’s potential, but there’s also weakness.

Don’t think we’ll go down, could finish anywhere from 12th to 20th imho (that’s allowing for an improvement) - but I guess the question really is whether the ‘improvement’ that’s been asked for is enough, or indeed if it’s there at all?

Completely understand the calls for calm, back Hurst etc - as much as I completely understand those who want change and reasons why.  Don’t see them getting rid of Hurst personally but if it comes to Christmas and results are of a pattern like they have been - then I think it’s a situation those in charge can’t really ignore/trust it’ll change.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 217
AncientExiledMariner
October 22, 2023, 9:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I'm starting to think regardless of manager, we'll need to change things in January. Hurst has been one to change things mid-season if it isn't working. I think he'll be wanting to bring in another CB, LB, and maybe CM or striker if Pyke hasn't fully found.

I don't think the left back situation was too predictable, but I think the CB shortage was an oversight, and the more we go on, the more apparent it is that maybe Waterfall isn't best placed to be our first choice backup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 217
arryarryarry
October 23, 2023, 2:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
I'm starting to think regardless of manager, we'll need to change things in January. Hurst has been one to change things mid-season if it isn't working. I think he'll be wanting to bring in another CB, LB, and maybe CM or striker if Pyke hasn't fully found.

I don't think the left back situation was too predictable, but I think the CB shortage was an oversight, and the more we go on, the more apparent it is that maybe Waterfall isn't best placed to be our first choice backup.

Basically what you are saying is that he has drunk up the wall one of our biggest player budgets for years.
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 217
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 23, 2023, 7:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 554
Quoted from arryarryarry

Basically what you are saying is that he has drunk up the wall one of our biggest player budgets for years.

None of the positions that Ancient suggests strengthening are as a result of ‘pïssing away’ funds in the summer transfer window.

For instance, we need a new LB because we didn’t sign anyone for there in the summer. That’s a different problem and has been well discussed on here, but it wasn’t the result of pïssing the budget up the wall.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 217
pen penfras
October 23, 2023, 7:59am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71

None of the positions that Ancient suggests strengthening are as a result of ‘pïssing away’ funds in the summer transfer window.

For instance, we need a new LB because we didn’t sign anyone for there in the summer. That’s a different problem and has been well discussed on here, but it wasn’t the result of pïssing the budget up the wall.

We got exploited down the left almost every game last season. If the budget is basically spent, as has been suggested, then the budget has been drunk up the wall. Not to mention shortages up front, centre back and not sorting out CM which was obviously weak last season too.

We're short of quality and have no depth at all. Doesn't exactly scream big budget, so if is is then it's definitely been spunked away
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 217
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 23, 2023, 8:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 554
Quoted from pen penfras

We got exploited down the left almost every game last season. If the budget is basically spent, as has been suggested, then the budget has been drunk up the wall. Not to mention shortages up front, centre back and not sorting out CM which was obviously weak last season too.

We're short of quality and have no depth at all. Doesn't exactly scream big budget, so if is is then it's definitely been spunked away

I don’t think we have spent all of the budget.

That’s why we tried to sign a LB on loan at the end of window. It was too late - a decision which was poor, I agree.

I also agree with you that we targeted and exploited down our left flank most of last season. Presumably, Hurst hoped that Glennon would improve with a full summer’s training. Based on the evidence so far, and the late move for a LB, that hasn’t happened.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 217
October 23, 2023, 11:29am
Guest User
Quoted from GrimPol

You have to explain that statement.

Seriously!  Are you still at primary school?

Reply: 217 - 217
22 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Stockport

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.